Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.05.2011, 10:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ajones83 has no particular reputation at present
On my way...

Hi All,

Just finished with my current employer in the UK and will be bound for Basel on 30 May 2011 to start work with one of the Pharma giants!

I'm really looking foward to absorbing the culture and the way of life in Basel. My German is pretty non-existent but am more than wiling to learn.

I'm a 28 year old male, easy to get on with, who enjoys almost anything - especially the outdoors!

Looking forward to setting foot on Swiss soil and hopefully meeting some like minded people.

AJ
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ajones83 for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 19.05.2011, 11:11
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: On my way...

Welcome AJ, and best of luck with your new adventure.

Word of advise, make sure you are earning minimim 120K otherwise you wont survive in Switzerland and bring a girlfriend with you too, as you wont find any date either here!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Wasted for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.05.2011, 11:22
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,277
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,752 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
Welcome AJ, and best of luck with your new adventure.

Word of advise, make sure you are earning minimim 120K otherwise you wont survive in Switzerland and bring a girlfriend with you too, as you wont find any date either here!
He's set now Best advice you will ever get

Welcome to the forum and soon to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.05.2011, 11:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yanni has no particular reputation at present
Re: On my way...

welcome to Basel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.05.2011, 11:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
He's set now Best advice you will ever get

Welcome to the forum and soon to Switzerland.
For now, hes probably thinking WTF?!

But given sometime he would realise what we are talking about!

Also, learn to use the "search" function, otherwise you'd have some folks on you like a tonne of bricks, the ones you think dont even exist on here!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.05.2011, 00:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ajones83 has no particular reputation at present
Re: On my way...

After monitoring the forum for some time now I DO realise what type of 'folks' exist on here...unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.05.2011, 01:14
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On my way...

Welcome to the forum AJ and soon to Switzerland.

As with the offline world, there are all sorts of people to be found on the Internet/forums so don't be put off or dispirited. There are loads of friendly, kind and helpful people here, so hopefully you've come across some of them by now as well.

This country is a great place for lovers of the great outdoors so I guess you're all set when it comes to that.

There are quite a number of EFers who live in Basel and it's surrounding regions so hopefully you will get to meet some of them here on the forum and in real life at the numerous events organized by members near and far soon enough.

Whatever little German you can learn before getting here will be a bonus. The fact you are keen to learn is already a major plus.

Take a look at the http://www.englishforum.ch/social-events/ thread for current and upcoming events as organized by EFers. I am sure there will be more than one or two that will appeal to you and attending these is a great way of meeting people and making new friends.

Take it easy and welcome again.

Cheers.
__________________
" The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. " ~ Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.05.2011, 12:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yanni has no particular reputation at present
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum AJ and soon to Switzerland.

As with the offline world, there are all sorts of people to be found on the Internet/forums so don't be put off or dispirited. There are loads of friendly, kind and helpful people here, so hopefully you've come across some of them by now as well.

This country is a great place for lovers of the great outdoors so I guess you're all set when it comes to that.

There are quite a number of EFers who live in Basel and it's surrounding regions so hopefully you will get to meet some of them here on the forum and in real life at the numerous events organized by members near and far soon enough.

Whatever little German you can learn before getting here will be a bonus. The fact you are keen to learn is already a major plus.

Take a look at the http://www.englishforum.ch/social-events/ thread for current and upcoming events as organized by EFers. I am sure there will be more than one or two that will appeal to you and attending these is a great way of meeting people and making new friends.

Take it easy and welcome again.

Cheers.
What a nice guy!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Yanni for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.05.2011, 13:02
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
What a nice guy!
I'm totally cool with that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.05.2011, 14:22
JustRose's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,087
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 453 Times in 233 Posts
JustRose has an excellent reputationJustRose has an excellent reputationJustRose has an excellent reputationJustRose has an excellent reputation
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
Welcome AJ, and best of luck with your new adventure.

Word of advise, make sure you are earning minimim 120K otherwise you wont survive in Switzerland and bring a girlfriend with you too, as you wont find any date either here!
Obviously you don't live in Basel.

Welcome to Switzerland AJ!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.05.2011, 14:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
Obviously you don't live in Basel.
You mean you can survive on less than 120K salary in Basel? Heard its very close to France.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.05.2011, 21:02
Swiss Cynic's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Swiss Cynic has no particular reputation at present
Re: On my way...

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

Just finished with my current employer in the UK and will be bound for Basel on 30 May 2011 to start work with one of the Pharma giants!

I'm really looking foward to absorbing the culture and the way of life in Basel. My German is pretty non-existent but am more than wiling to learn.

I'm a 28 year old male, easy to get on with, who enjoys almost anything - especially the outdoors!

Looking forward to setting foot on Swiss soil and hopefully meeting some like minded people.

AJ
Hi AJ

I wish you a good start in Basel. It's not as bad as some say. I have lived in the UK for 10 years so I have some opinions about both places.

What concerns the German language, I may be able to help you. I am a language teacher. Please send me a PM for more info!

SwissCynic
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0