Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.06.2011, 21:13
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Wow. My Family and I are moving to VSG in July and will be living in CH de Marroniers as well. We have 2 boys one who is 14 one 11. very daunted at moving !!
OK, this is just getting weird. Whereabouts in Cornwall you from? I grew up in Tintagel.

Last edited by PaddyG; 19.06.2011 at 21:36.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20.06.2011, 00:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, Fribourg
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ansara has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Waou, great! Don't tell me you're going to rent the number 1...

All these coincidences...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 20.06.2011, 01:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, Fribourg
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ansara has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

FreshyM: my daughter is also very worried about her new life and especially her new school. Is you son going to CO de Perolles too? Do you know which year? My daughter will start in S1...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20.06.2011, 10:38
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Hah! At this rate, we VsGers will be outnumbering those Zürcher heathens before long.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20.06.2011, 12:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, Fribourg
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ansara has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

oh yes !!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20.06.2011, 22:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
English Angel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Hi!
I am new on this forum.
I will be moving back to Fribourg (where I was born) next month. We left Switzerland to live in Scotland (north glasgwegian suburb) in 2003, initially for 9 months, but at the end we've been here for already 8 years.
I have got 2 daughters aged 12 and 5 years old and I am looking for English speaking mums and families around Fribourg...
I am looking forward to hearing about you!
Hello, Welcome back! We moved to Fribourg initially for 1 year and that was 15 years ago... think we will stay now We live in Bourguillon and have 2 children 13 and 10, the FEW group is a great place to start, lots of lovely ladies there. Hope the move is good and look forward to meeting you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 21.06.2011, 09:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, Fribourg
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ansara has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Thank you very much English Angel. I have joined the FEW group on internet and I am looking forward to taking part in some of the activites. ;-)

Last edited by Ansara; 21.06.2011 at 09:29.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 21.06.2011, 09:30
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Hello, Welcome back! We moved to Fribourg initially for 1 year and that was 15 years ago... think we will stay now We live in Bourguillon and have 2 children 13 and 10, the FEW group is a great place to start, lots of lovely ladies there. Hope the move is good and look forward to meeting you.
I seem to remember, a few years back, my wife saying she'd met an English couple , at a children's swimming course in Heim Linde, Tentlingen, who lived in Bourguillon. The wife was a nurse (I think) and could have been Irish or Irish decent.

As this thread seems to be unravelling several coincidences - I can only think that it must be you.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21.06.2011, 11:38
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
I seem to remember, a few years back, my wife saying she'd met an English couple , at a children's swimming course in Heim Linde, Tentlingen, who lived in Bourguillon. The wife was a nurse (I think) and could have been Irish or Irish decent.

As this thread seems to be unravelling several coincidences - I can only think that it must be you.
Interesting, my wife also took the kids to Heim Linden for swimming lessons, she is an Irish midwife, but we don't live in Bourgillon. However, EnglishAngel and her family are friends of ours and the women-folk spend quite a bit of time together. Maybe your wife met them both and formulated a hybrid personality from memory?
Curioser and curioser.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21.06.2011, 12:04
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Interesting, my wife also took the kids to Heim Linden for swimming lessons, she is an Irish midwife, but we don't live in Bourgillon. However, EnglishAngel and her family are friends of ours and the women-folk spend quite a bit of time together. Maybe your wife met them both and formulated a hybrid personality from memory?
Curioser and curioser.
Well ... Heim Linde is spitting distance from me, so it's very convenient for the courses.

Now I've racked my brain, I was also there one time and met her (definitely Irish), plus the husband, I think - who wasn't - (OMG would that have been you?).

Naw .... I'm pretty sure the Irish woman was from Bourguillon. But anyway you may be able to work it out from this. When they described where they live, it was in the new(ish) quarter (colourful new houses) on the topside of the village (as you drive up to Schwarzsee), and they have a black (wood panelling) house that backs onto the main road with a glass fronted balcony with a telescope on it (can be seen as we drive past - my daughter used to point it out), and there may be solar panels on the roof - I think they are quite "green". The whole house is supposed to be minimal footprint.

Again, scratching around in the pits of my head, they may have been two women, but I think the second may have been a friend/relative just over for a visit.

Last edited by TiMow; 21.06.2011 at 12:36. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 21.06.2011, 12:10
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Well ... Heim Linde is spitting distance from me, so it's very convenient for the courses.

Now I've racked my brain, I was also there one time and met her (definitely Irish), plus the husband, I think - who wasn't - (OMG would that have been you?).

Naw .... I'm pretty sure the Irish woman was from Bourguillon. But anyway you may be able to work it out from this. When they described where they live, it was in the new(ish) quarter (colourful new houses) on the topside of the village (as you drive up to Schwarzsee), and they have a black (wood panelling) house that backs onto the main road with a glass fronted balcony with a telescope on it (can be seen as we drive past - my daughter used to point it out), and there may be solar panels on the roof - I think they are quite "green".

Again, scratching around in the pits of my head, they may have been two women, but I think the second may have been a friend/relative just over for a visit.
Yep, that would be our friends' house. As far as I know, there are no Irish in Bourgillon, so the only conclusion is that my wife was there at the same time. She is definitely Irish, and definitely a midwife. It is conceivable that she was there with our girls and EnglishAngel's hubby was there with his kids. I don't recall her ever mentioning having spoken to an English chap there though, or an English speaking Swiss-German woman for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21.06.2011, 12:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
English Angel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Yep, that would be our friends' house. As far as I know, there are no Irish in Bourgillon, so the only conclusion is that my wife was there at the same time. She is definitely Irish, and definitely a midwife. It is conceivable that she was there with our girls and EnglishAngel's hubby was there with his kids. I don't recall her ever mentioning having spoken to an English chap there though, or an English speaking Swiss-German woman for that matter.
Wow this is too funny!! Yep definitely our house, good memory but the telescope went years ago, hubby finally realised he hadnt used it once so was just there for show boys and their toys And yep PaddyG is right no Irish here but my hubby used to do the swimming lesson thing more than me so maybe was mistaken that our other halves were a couple :-) but really no wife swapping was going on, honest and PaddyG your (lovely) wife talks to anyone and everyone so probably wouldn't have told you
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21.06.2011, 19:44
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Interesting, my wife also took the kids to Heim Linden for swimming lessons, she is an Irish midwife, but we don't live in Bourgillon. However, EnglishAngel and her family are friends of ours and the women-folk spend quite a bit of time together. Maybe your wife met them both and formulated a hybrid personality from memory?
Curioser and curioser.
Quote:
View Post
Wow this is too funny!! Yep definitely our house, good memory but the telescope went years ago, hubby finally realised he hadnt used it once so was just there for show boys and their toys And yep PaddyG is right no Irish here but my hubby used to do the swimming lesson thing more than me so maybe was mistaken that our other halves were a couple :-) but really no wife swapping was going on, honest and PaddyG your (lovely) wife talks to anyone and everyone so probably wouldn't have told you
Well, it looks like we're all inter-related.

Having quizzed my daughter at lunchtime, and now my wife - bearing in mind it was probably about 5yrs. back (and my daughter would have been 6/7) - they both tell me I should open my eyes as I drive past, because the "black" house is apparently (dark) blue. My wife also remembers it is built thru' Schwörer Haus (who we also looked at), and before then, you (EnglishAngel) also lived in VsG. If one of your daughters is H.G., then we were also given her name and tel.no.

She remembers 2 separate families, and definitely remembers the Irish lady (Mrs. PaddyG) and that she came from VsG for the course, and worked as something medical. I think it was mainly Mr. EnglishAngel and Mrs. PaddyG that she remembers seeing and talking with. On the occasion I came along I was introduced to both and probably didn't realise (or remember) that they weren't a couple. But as that place is too hot for me, for hanging around for long, I didn't talk sufficiently enough to be able to recall any specifics accurately - hence my thinking the Irish lady was from Bourguillon - but I do remember talking to her and that she is on the shorter side of tall. (I think she was complaining about her husband).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 21.06.2011, 20:09
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Well, it looks like we're all inter-related.

If one of your daughters is H.G., then we were also given her name and tel.no.
With those initials, that would be my youngest. Does that mean you have our number?
Oh my God, please don't make it so.

Quote:
She remembers 2 separate families, and definitely remembers the Irish lady (Mrs. PaddyG) and that she came from VsG for the course, and worked as something medical. I think it was mainly Mr. EnglishAngel and Mrs. PaddyG that she remembers seeing and talking with. On the occasion I came along I was introduced to both and probably didn't realise (or remember) that they weren't a couple. But as that place is too hot for me, for hanging around for long, I didn't talk sufficiently enough to be able to recall any specifics accurately - hence my thinking the Irish lady was from Bourguillon - but I do remember talking to her and that she is on the shorter side of tall. (I think she was complaining about her husband).
Yes, that would be the wee woman as described.

I actually took the girls along myself a couple of times. You're right, the place is too bloody hot.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 21.06.2011, 20:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
English Angel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Well, it looks like we're all inter-related.

Having quizzed my daughter at lunchtime, and now my wife - bearing in mind it was probably about 5yrs. back (and my daughter would have been 6/7) - they both tell me I should open my eyes as I drive past, because the "black" house is apparently (dark) blue. My wife also remembers it is built thru' Schwörer Haus (who we also looked at), and before then, you (EnglishAngel) also lived in VsG. If one of your daughters is H.G., then we were also given her name and tel.no.

She remembers 2 separate families, and definitely remembers the Irish lady (Mrs. PaddyG) and that she came from VsG for the course, and worked as something medical. I think it was mainly Mr. EnglishAngel and Mrs. PaddyG that she remembers seeing and talking with. On the occasion I came along I was introduced to both and probably didn't realise (or remember) that they weren't a couple. But as that place is too hot for me, for hanging around for long, I didn't talk sufficiently enough to be able to recall any specifics accurately - hence my thinking the Irish lady was from Bourguillon - but I do remember talking to her and that she is on the shorter side of tall. (I think she was complaining about her husband).
yep your family is VERY good at remembering things, I cant remember what I had for lunch yesterday so your family remembering the house is blue not black is pretty good and yes the company is correct and yes we did use to live in VSG too, wow your wife memory is amazing! (and alittle scary) yep the kid is not mine but indeed PaddyG's and the "little wife too" and oh yea that place was like a sauna....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21.06.2011, 20:53
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
yep your family is VERY good at remembering things, I cant remember what I had for lunch yesterday so your family remembering the house is blue not black is pretty good and yes the company is correct and yes we did use to live in VSG too, wow your wife memory is amazing! (and alittle scary) yep the kid is not mine but indeed PaddyG's and the "little wife too" and oh yea that place was like a sauna....
Regarding the house - we drive past there on a regular basis, so it's more a case of accurate observation, than memory.

My wife has looked at several house building firms over the years, so when that one was mentioned, she was, or has since become, familiar with it.

And having just waded through a long, multi-page thread, I am now familiar with Paddy's full name - so my next question would have been: "Are you related?" - but you've solved that one.

Oh .... and Paddy - your time is up - I now have your number and can pinpoint your address to within a 100m radius (I just need to contact David Chase Taylor to find out where I can locate one of the 30-60 sec. devices that he prevented from going off - they must be stashed somewhere).

EDIT: OOps .....I responded directly to EnglishAngel's post, without seeing Paddy's immediately above - which I've now read (if some of the last para. doesn't make sense in light of it).
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 22.06.2011, 10:43
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
Oh .... and Paddy - your time is up - I now have your number and can pinpoint your address to within a 100m radius
So we'll be expecting a BBQ invite in the near future then
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 22.06.2011, 11:07
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

Quote:
View Post
So we'll be expecting a BBQ invite in the near future then
Coincidently, I was planning on organising a big BBQ party and had ordered a bulk consignment of horse meat ("... they'll never know the difference - I'll just say I cooked it too long - that's why it's a bit chewy ...").

I was expecting delivery yesterday, but for some reason it never arrived - must have got delayed somewhere - so I'll have to postpone for now.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 29.10.2011, 15:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spanglish has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving (back) to Fribourg next month...

so, welcome to Fribourg....have you settled in? hope all is going well and that you have settled. Cheers
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does my 7 month old count as a person when bringing back groceries from France? yasmina Other/general 12 09.01.2011 00:42
How to get back the extra tax on 13th month salary? anirbanjoy Employment 4 27.05.2010 16:48
Back in Bern/Fribourg Area stina102 Introductions 6 09.09.2009 17:36
Back from a month in Viet Nam profpatbut General off-topic 2 24.08.2009 20:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0