Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.07.2011, 23:50
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Working in development/doing MBA

Hello everyone. I'm very happy to find this forum and look forward to earnest and useful information / contact sharing. I'm moving to Geneva to do my MBA focusing on international development. Anyone else in similar fields in this forum?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2011, 07:24
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Hello and welcome to EF!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.07.2011, 16:53
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Thanks for the welcome. Was beginning to wonder if people really read the Introductions part of the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10.07.2011, 17:09
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

People do, but might not be in the same field you are, you asked..

Good luck settling in.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.07.2011, 21:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone. I'm very happy to find this forum and look forward to earnest and useful information / contact sharing. I'm moving to Geneva to do my MBA focusing on international development. Anyone else in similar fields in this forum?
Define international development? Like economics?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10.07.2011, 22:35
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Define international development? Like economics?
Sorry for being unclear..Yes, economics is part of it. More specifically it refers to work involving poverty alleviation, improvement of quality of life of people, providing development opportunities for everyone. It can include economics, but also work in international law, governance, human rights, foreign aid, fair trade, environment sustainability, micro-financing, community mobilizing, partnerships with civil society (e.g. NGOs), corporate social responsibility, food security, peace, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11.07.2011, 03:18
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Welcome to the forum. What part of "South America" are you in. It's a big place.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.07.2011, 08:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Sorry for being unclear..Yes, economics is part of it. More specifically it refers to work involving poverty alleviation, improvement of quality of life of people, providing development opportunities for everyone. It can include economics, but also work in international law, governance, human rights, foreign aid, fair trade, environment sustainability, micro-financing, community mobilizing, partnerships with civil society (e.g. NGOs), corporate social responsibility, food security, peace, etc.
Thanks for that. So youre on the Dambisa Moyo ticket, or are you an a Gung Ho NGO? Economic development is exactly what youre talking about. Dont let all these HGO folks in Geneva brain wash you before you go to Africa on your own though.

How much work have you done on the subject, or is this all academic thus far?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:59
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for that. So youre on the Dambisa Moyo ticket, or are you an a Gung Ho NGO? Economic development is exactly what youre talking about. Dont let all these HGO folks in Geneva brain wash you before you go to Africa on your own though.

How much work have you done on the subject, or is this all academic thus far?
10 years for various NGOs and government agencies
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:59
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum. What part of "South America" are you in. It's a big place.
Guyana :-)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12.07.2011, 03:18
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Guyana :-)
Oh, that's far! Head south & you'll find us, eventually.

Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.07.2011, 05:39
kevala's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevala has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Oh, that's far! Head south & you'll find us, eventually.

Good luck with your move.
Thank you! Oh, just saw your location; I keep assuming everyone's in Switzerland. Always wanted to go to Argentina...especially to Patagonia. Are you there for good or just travelling?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
10 years for various NGOs and government agencies

So you have just worked in South America? Or have you done any work elsewhere? What kind of programs have you done?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13.07.2011, 02:01
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in development/doing MBA

Quote:
View Post
Thank you! Oh, just saw your location; I keep assuming everyone's in Switzerland. Always wanted to go to Argentina...especially to Patagonia. Are you there for good or just travelling?
We have been here from 2.75 yrs. Not that I don't love BA, but I'm counting the days until I can go home to my little village in Vaud!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA - is it worth it ? Pashosh Employment 76 29.10.2015 14:25
1 Year MBA awesome001 Employment 14 01.06.2012 10:56
Web Development appflak Commercial 2 05.07.2010 18:31
Tips on MBA. fran001 Other/general 11 24.02.2009 10:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0