Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 26.07.2011, 00:09
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
I'm so excited! [just hired]

So the contract is signed and the relocation people have "reached out" to me!! Hopefully I'll get to see Fribourg for the very first time next week. I can't wait.

Just wanted to share. Hee hee! Even the kids are still excited.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26.07.2011, 09:11
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,209
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,371 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm so excited! [just hired]

...and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 26.07.2011, 09:42
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
I just want to get house hunting and come and play! The more I read about switzerland the more excited I get. Even reading the grumpy - I hate Switzerland - forums. Hee hee hee!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.07.2011, 09:46
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,209
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,371 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm so excited! [just hired]

Quote:
View Post
I just want to get house hunting and come and play! The more I read about switzerland the more excited I get. Even reading the grumpy - I hate Switzerland - forums. Hee hee hee!!!
House hunting is quite fun, but I must warn you that depending on the area (not sure about Fribourg) it can be utterly stressful and depressing. Houses are expensive and difficult to find It's like a battlefield, but when you find your perfect place, it has an overwhelming feeling of success!

I wish you luck ^^
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 26.07.2011, 10:07
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
House hunting is quite fun, but I must warn you that depending on the area (not sure about Fribourg) it can be utterly stressful and depressing. Houses are expensive and difficult to find It's like a battlefield, but when you find your perfect place, it has an overwhelming feeling of success!

I wish you luck ^^
Aw thanks! I'm just looking forward to drinking in the new culture. I have done a bit of research and realise its quite expensive but I'm currently living in Oxfordshire which is stupidly expensive too so I'm not put off as it's all balanced out with higher salary etc. I also just like nosing around other people's houses. And fribourg looks so beautiful. I can't wait to get there. Did I mention I'm excited??!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26.07.2011, 10:17
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,825
Groaned at 267 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 23,507 Times in 9,602 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm so excited! [just hired]

Congratulations. I expect you're a little bit excited about the move now

We're not too far from Fribourg and looked at some houses in the canton when we were moving here. It's a lot easier to find decent, affordable housing there than in other areas. (Zurich, Lausanne or Geneva for example)

How old are the kids? Will you send them to a local school? If yes then you might want to tailor your house search to areas where the language is the one you would prefer your kids to learn in.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 26.07.2011, 10:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I'm so excited! [just hired]

Congratulations and good luck with the move!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 26.07.2011, 10:30
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm so excited! [just hired]

Good luck with your house search. To get exactly what you want is not easy, even in Fribourg, but stick with it and you might turn up a gem.

What part of Oxon? We were in Headington before we came here in '95.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 26.07.2011, 10:36
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,103
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

I've merged your two very enthusiastic Threads. You don't want to get stuck over in boring Off-Topic. That is for things which are not directly connected with Switzerland. Things like travel abroad (we are NOT abroad here by the way= and things like congratulations for birthdays and other subjects where the content would be applicable anywhere. Anyway coming here and looking for housing (Moderator talking: please see the correct area for questions about this) is sure not OT.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 26.07.2011, 11:31
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Good luck with your house search. To get exactly what you want is not easy, even in Fribourg, but stick with it and you might turn up a gem.

What part of Oxon? We were in Headington before we came here in '95.
We live in Wantage about 17 miles from Oxford. I work for the ambulance service so am in headington lots!!! Hopefully house searching next week!! God I can't wait!!!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 26.07.2011, 11:33
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Congratulations. I expect you're a little bit excited about the move now

We're not too far from Fribourg and looked at some houses in the canton when we were moving here. It's a lot easier to find decent, affordable housing there than in other areas. (Zurich, Lausanne or Geneva for example)

How old are the kids? Will you send them to a local school? If yes then you might want to tailor your house search to areas where the language is the one you would prefer your kids to learn in.
Hi!! We're sending the kids to local schools so will be looking in the French speaking part. If you have any suggestions or good areas/ schools I would be really really really really grateful. Kids are 7 and 13.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 26.07.2011, 11:33
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
I've merged your two very enthusiastic Threads. You don't want to get stuck over in boring Off-Topic. That is for things which are not directly connected with Switzerland. Things like travel abroad (we are NOT abroad here by the way= and things like congratulations for birthdays and other subjects where the content would be applicable anywhere. Anyway coming here and looking for housing (Moderator talking: please see the correct area for questions about this) is sure not OT.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 26.07.2011, 11:34
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Congratulations and good luck with the move!!!
Hee hee thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 26.07.2011, 13:55
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,784
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,874 Times in 10,000 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

If you go to google maps and type in Fribourg, then zoom out a bit to see surrounding area, you'll be able to see Villars-sur-Glane in relation to everywhere else nearby. Basically, the French speaking part is on the left of the map and the German on the right.

Make a note of the village/town names in the French part and then go searching on the following sites for property:

www.immostreet.ch
www.immoscout24.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

Depending on how much stuff you're bringing with you, it might be better to think about renting a property for a couple of years as you'll be lucky to find and organise a purchase in the time you have. On these sites you can look for both. What permit does your husband have? You can't buy a property unless you have at least a B permit and you'll need at least a 20% deposit to get a mortgage. You'll also get an idea of prices. Remember that when Swiss say house has 4.5 rooms they're not including the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, cellar, etc. It usually only means the living/dining (1 to 1.5 if open plan) and bedrooms (3). Sometimes you get separate dining rooms which should be added to the count.

I must say it's nice to see so many people coming to the area. We moved here because my husband got a job locally and Fribourg is a very nice sized city, not too big and less expensive than Zurich, Geneva and Lausanne. It's well situated for getting to all part of Switzerland and rail links are good.

Oh, you might like to know that both Aldi and Lidl have shops in/around Fribourg with the same high quality, but cheaper prices, than Migros/Coop who are the main supermarket brands here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 26.07.2011, 14:08
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
If you go to google maps and type in Fribourg, then zoom out a bit to see surrounding area, you'll be able to see Villars-sur-Glane in relation to everywhere else nearby. Basically, the French speaking part is on the left of the map and the German on the right.

Make a note of the village/town names in the French part and then go searching on the following sites for property:

www.immostreet.ch
www.immoscout24.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

Depending on how much stuff you're bringing with you, it might be better to think about renting a property for a couple of years as you'll be lucky to find and organise a purchase in the time you have. On these sites you can look for both. What permit does your husband have? You can't buy a property unless you have at least a B permit and you'll need at least a 20% deposit to get a mortgage. You'll also get an idea of prices. Remember that when Swiss say house has 4.5 rooms they're not including the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, cellar, etc. It usually only means the living/dining (1 to 1.5 if open plan) and bedrooms (3). Sometimes you get separate dining rooms which should be added to the count.

I must say it's nice to see so many people coming to the area. We moved here because my husband got a job locally and Fribourg is a very nice sized city, not too big and less expensive than Zurich, Geneva and Lausanne. It's well situated for getting to all part of Switzerland and rail links are good.

Oh, you might like to know that both Aldi and Lidl have shops in/around Fribourg with the same high quality, but cheaper prices, than Migros/Coop who are the main supermarket brands here.

I love the beer in Lidl!!! Hubby is getting a visa through his work but not sure what letter it has on it! Think it'll be a B though cos his job is permanent and not a temp contract. I can't thank you enough for the info it's really cool to try and put a picture in my head of what I'll be doing and what it's going to be like.
I've been having a look at some of the apartments in VsG and to be honest they all look a bit industrial I like the look of the old part of Fribourg or some of the houses out in the countryside. However I am also aware that I have a slightly ( well rather hugely) romanticised idea of what my life will be like in Switzerland (cow bells, chocolate, running down mountains, apres ski etc) but maybe I'll just have to look a bit harder and sort myself out.

Thanks for the info I'm off to have a word with myself.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 26.07.2011, 14:11
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I love the beer in Lidl!!! Hubby is getting a visa through his work but not sure what letter it has on it! Think it'll be a B though cos his job is permanent and not a temp contract. I can't thank you enough for the info it's really cool to try and put a picture in my head of what I'll be doing and what it's going to be like.
I've been having a look at some of the apartments in VsG and to be honest they all look a bit industrial I like the look of the old part of Fribourg or some of the houses out in the countryside. However I am also aware that I have a slightly ( well rather hugely) romanticised idea of what my life will be like in Switzerland (cow bells, chocolate, running down mountains, apres ski etc) but maybe I'll just have to look a bit harder and sort myself out.

Thanks for the info I'm off to have a word with myself.
The advantage of VsG is it's proximity to Fribourg itself, as well as it having all the commodities you need. There are parts which don't seem so built-up, it's quite a big commune. Then again, I am biased . If you really are thinking of buying/building, then it would only be a temporary measure anyway.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 26.07.2011, 14:16
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
The advantage of VsG is it's proximity to Fribourg itself, as well as it having all the commodities you need. There are parts which don't seem so built-up, it's quite a big commune. Then again, I am biased . If you really are thinking of buying/building, then it would only be a temporary measure anyway.
I'm just getting frustrated cos I can't wander about and look at different places. You can't really get a feeling for a place until you're in it. And I WANT TO BE IN IT!!!!! But the flipping relocation people are in the states and don't have my sense of urgency about any of this.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:01
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,784
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,874 Times in 10,000 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

If you do opt for an apartment, either rent or buy, then make sure it has its own washing machine rather than a shared one. Most Swiss apartment blocks have a communal washing room and you'll be allocated a particular day and time when you can do your clothes washing and it can be difficult/impossible to do it at any other time. Some of the newer blocks are beginning to put individual washing machines in each apartment, but they are few and far between at the moment. With a couple of children it would really be better to rent/buy a house if possible, but there are fewer houses for rent than apartments.

Not sure if Lidl here will have the same beer as UK, but it depends on the brand I guess.

Your major immediate culture shock is likely to be the fact that, apart from boulangeries and some restaurants, shops will be shut from around 4/5pm on Saturday until 8am on Monday morning.

And, to whet your choco tastebuds, Fribourg has its own chocolate factory, down next to the university. Also once you're here you can take a visit to the Cailler chocolate factory at Broc, near Bulle.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:35
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,825
Groaned at 267 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 23,507 Times in 9,602 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Hi!! We're sending the kids to local schools so will be looking in the French speaking part. If you have any suggestions or good areas/ schools I would be really really really really grateful. Kids are 7 and 13.
I can't help with the schools unfortunately as we didn't end up living in canton Fribourg although it might have been better from a tax point of view. My experience of Swiss schools for the moment is very positive although we had an advantage as our 11 year old already spoke French when we got here.

We were only looking for houses and for most of those you'd need to have a car as they tend to be in the villages on the outskirts.

We looked at places in Portalban, Delley, Courtepin and Lossy and they all seemed like really nice areas although all were very small villay types of places.. We were looking for areas for a commute to Neuchâtel though so it was essentially to the west of Fribourg.

We ended up finding a place right at the top of Neuchatel lake in a sort of triangle of cantons (Neuchatel, Bern and Fribourg)

Good luck with the search.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:37
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,784
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,874 Times in 10,000 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Sorry, another thought. You might like to order "Living and Working in Switzerland" from your local bookshop or Amazon. It has lots of useful info in it, although you do have to take some of the remarks with a pinch of salt. We found it very useful for understanding what we needed to do when we arrived as far as registering with commune, federal authorities, etc. Plenty of general info as well to help you get to grips with how Switzerland works.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving company in Fribourg wobbie Housing in general 0 31.05.2010 20:25
Moving to Fribourg in 5 weeks Helena_N Introductions 7 26.01.2010 16:09
Moving to Lausanne or maybe Fribourg sarasvatiemma Introductions 0 24.01.2010 18:07
Moving from California to Fribourg Emarie Introductions 15 09.11.2007 16:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0