Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03.08.2011, 16:12
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Is the beer a Fribourg-specific thing? In Neuchâtel it's either tea or white wine.
No. Fribourg is known for the moitié-moitié fondue with vacherin fribourgeois.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03.08.2011, 17:19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 441
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 351 Times in 180 Posts
kiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

I would definitely steer clear drinking anything with bubbles in it during a fondue session!!

But just to settle the argument...here's a full-fledged scientific answer (thanks the the British Medicial Journal christmas addition):

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6731.full

...now why can't I get funding to do studies like this!! They even mention the dreaded "cheese baby" phenomenon!!

P.S. Faybay - if you are looking for a great fondue, Cafe du Paon is one of the best (and cheapest) in Fribourg! CHF14 for fondue moitié-moitié (local vacherin fribourgeois & gruyere) ...with bread AND potatoes....topped off with the added bonus that you will be surrounded by absinthe memorabilia (but don't forget to save some room for dessert - their absinthe parfait is....well, "parfait"!)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kiwigeek for this useful post:
  #103  
Old 03.08.2011, 23:51
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

I love this place!!!!!

I've viewed 9 apartments today and found 2 absolute crackers!!!

2 more tomorrow and my lovely family arrive aswell. What a great day tomorrow will be!

4 more on Friday then it's decision time.

yippee!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Faybay for this useful post:
  #104  
Old 03.08.2011, 23:53
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I would definitely steer clear drinking anything with bubbles in it during a fondue session!!

But just to settle the argument...here's a full-fledged scientific answer (thanks the the British Medicial Journal christmas addition):

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6731.full

...now why can't I get funding to do studies like this!! They even mention the dreaded "cheese baby" phenomenon!!

P.S. Faybay - if you are looking for a great fondue, Cafe du Paon is one of the best (and cheapest) in Fribourg! CHF14 for fondue moitié-moitié (local vacherin fribourgeois & gruyere) ...with bread AND potatoes....topped off with the added bonus that you will be surrounded by absinthe memorabilia (but don't forget to save some room for dessert - their absinthe parfait is....well, "parfait"!)

A good point well noted!! Thanks for the advice and the tip on good fondue.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 04.08.2011, 00:04
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Is the beer a Fribourg-specific thing? In Neuchâtel it's either tea or white wine.
moving-fribourg-300px-brasserie_du_cardinal_-_fribourg.jpg

Bring on the congealed cheese balls.

moving-fribourg-beer-28248870.jpg
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #106  
Old 04.08.2011, 00:17
pagl57's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 239
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 62 Posts
pagl57 is considered knowledgeablepagl57 is considered knowledgeablepagl57 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Just adding my welcome message to you and your family to Fribourg. I hope you'll find a suitable apartment.
It seems the St-Ursen Highland games would be the ultimate occasion to see all the Fribourg Newbies.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 04.08.2011, 00:17
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
I love this place!!!!!

I've viewed 9 apartments today and found 2 absolute crackers!!!

2 more tomorrow and my lovely family arrive aswell. What a great day tomorrow will be!

4 more on Friday then it's decision time.

yippee!!!
Where've you been?

...... in and around the city - or out and about in the bhunies?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 04.08.2011, 22:24
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Attachment 30475

Bring on the congealed cheese balls.

Attachment 30476

Congealed balls?? Don't mind if I do!
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 04.08.2011, 22:27
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Where've you been
...... in and around the city - or out and about in the bhunies?
Everywhere out and about in the city out to murten, lucern, moudon. It's been awesome!! So far Fribourg is still my favourite.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05.08.2011, 00:16
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Quote:
View Post
Everywhere out and about in the city out to murten, lucern, moudon. It's been awesome!! So far Fribourg is still my favourite.
All those places in a day? - all a bit of a donkey trek.

Lucern (Luzern) seems a bit odd - are you not confusing Lausanne, as you were half way there at Moudon.

Did you have time to have a proper look around Murten? I think it's nicer than Fribourg - the old part of town (although a bit touristy), and down by lake. Nice boat trips across the lake to Vully (wine producing area). All the little villages on the other side have independent producers who have their own caves that you can visit for a tasting.

A nice trip out (train from Fribourg) with the family at the weekend for a break from house hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 05.08.2011, 09:23
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,523
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,582 Times in 9,852 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Think Faybay meant Lucens, a small town on the way to Moudon. Has a nice little chateau on the hilltop (not open to public) and also the "other" Sherlock Holmes museum. This one is quite a personal one as it was created by Arthur Conan Doyle's son, Adrian, when he lived in the chateau and contains many items and personal effects of Conan Doyle himself. It's since been moved to the Maison Rouge in Lucens.

Another good place to take the family once you've settled in would be the Papilorama (Butterfly house) at Kerzers. As well as the butterflies, there's the Nocturama and Jungle Trek houses to visit too, and a petting zoo so lots to keep the children happy. Best to go autumn to spring though, as it is quite warm in the butterfly house.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 05.08.2011, 09:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 428
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 212 Times in 102 Posts
Millso has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Just wanted to say welcome to Fribourg!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 05.08.2011, 23:28
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Just wanted to say welcome to Fribourg!
Aw thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 05.08.2011, 23:30
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Think Faybay meant Lucens, a small town on the way to Moudon. Has a nice little chateau on the hilltop (not open to public) and also the "other" Sherlock Holmes museum. This one is quite a personal one as it was created by Arthur Conan Doyle's son, Adrian, when he lived in the chateau and contains many items and personal effects of Conan Doyle himself. It's since been moved to the Maison Rouge in Lucens.

Another good place to take the family once you've settled in would be the Papilorama (Butterfly house) at Kerzers. As well as the butterflies, there's the Nocturama and Jungle Trek houses to visit too, and a petting zoo so lots to keep the children happy. Best to go autumn to spring though, as it is quite warm in the butterfly house.
Ha that is exactly where I was! What a bizarre place for a Sherlock museum! It was a really cool house but there was bugger all in the village. Shame though.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06.08.2011, 09:11
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,523
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,582 Times in 9,852 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Yes, it is a pity as it's a lovely looking little town. Museum only there because Adrian lived in the chateau.

Another tip: I don't know whether you're bringing your car over from UK or thinking of buying here straightaway, but it's worth checking with hubby's Human Resources people to find out if they have car purchase discounts available with some of the car dealers. It's quite a common thing here in Switzerland and could save you some money on the purchase price. Also, don't buy the car outright, take out a 4 year lease and pay for it monthly for 4 years. That way the car isn't taken into account as part of your fortune for tax purposes. This will be handy to know when you get a "C" permit and have to start filling in the tax forms, rather than having tax deducted at source which is how it will be done initially.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06.08.2011, 22:49
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
We've chosen to shack up and bring down the tone of villars sur glane! Looking forward to joining you all in a beautiful corner of the world! I'm so excited!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07.08.2011, 08:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, Fribourg
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ansara has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

Glad you found something! Looking forward to meeting with you all!
When are you arriving? And where about in VsG?
Good luck for your move and welcome in VsG!!!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07.08.2011, 09:41
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Glad you found something! Looking forward to meeting with you all!
When are you arriving? And where about in VsG?
Good luck for your move and welcome in VsG!!!
We get the keys on the 15th September! Moving to an apartment near the shopping centre it's got an amazing view.
Hopefully see you for a coffee!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 07.08.2011, 12:39
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,523
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,582 Times in 9,852 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Fribourg!!!!

You'll move into your new place a couple of weeks before me. We have to be out of our rental property on the 30th September, so we're busy painting/cleaning/tidying up the house we bought just down the road from this one.

Glad you managed to find somewhere you like so quickly. Real bonus when you can do that. Do you all go back now, or are you here for the duration?
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 07.08.2011, 19:07
Faybay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Faybay has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
You'll move into your new place a couple of weeks before me. We have to be out of our rental property on the 30th September, so we're busy painting/cleaning/tidying up the house we bought just down the road from this one.

Glad you managed to find somewhere you like so quickly. Real bonus when you can do that. Do you all go back now, or are you here for the duration?
Are you moving out of or into VsG? We've got to go home first back in a few weeks for good!! Yippeeee!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving company in Fribourg wobbie Housing in general 0 31.05.2010 21:25
Moving to Fribourg in 5 weeks Helena_N Introductions 7 26.01.2010 17:09
Moving to Lausanne or maybe Fribourg sarasvatiemma Introductions 0 24.01.2010 19:07
Moving from California to Fribourg Emarie Introductions 15 09.11.2007 17:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0