Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.08.2011, 14:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: zug
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NatDrayton has no particular reputation at present
New in Zug

Hello my name is Natalie Drayton, I have just joined this forum, so please excuse me I will have to do a bit of reading, to see if what I am looking for is not on another forum or group etc. My husband and I have just moved here from Dubai, (we have been in Dubai for 5 years but are originally from South Africa).

My husband is here on a work project for the next few months and I am spending my days trying to entertain our 2 year old daughter as best as possible. There are a few parks around our neighborhood but everyone I have met only speaks German. Are there any English speaking informal play groups or gatherings around town?, or would anyone like to meet up?
My daughter has been in play school in Dubai for the last 9 months and is extremely active, and now she stands at the front door with her backpack and says "school, school school- Lets go!!" I have thought about finding a nursery here, but we might only be here for another 2-3 months so not sure if its worth it.
Anyway I would love to meet anyone English speaking at this point.
Thanks
Natalie.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.08.2011, 20:32
tayna's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cham
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
tayna has earned some respecttayna has earned some respect
Re: New in Zug

I have seen a place in Baar that has bilingual playgroups. Don´t know much about it though...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.08.2011, 21:18
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Zug

Welcome to the Forum.
You might find something useful here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.08.2011, 00:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ArthurD has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Hi, brand new in Zug. only seven days fresh from London !
happy to meet some other newbies and get chatting.
Send me an inmail etc and we get in touch; I am getting to know this forum slowly but looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.08.2011, 09:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
jhain7 has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

There is an international mom and kids club which I believe is quite active.
http://www.imkc.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.08.2011, 10:55
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Zug

Welcome to the EF!! I live in Baar.

Don't hesitate to contact me about the language, the area, or whatever.

Unfortunately, I do not have information on playgroups.

There are several South Africans on the forum including a South
African Rugby thread.

Were you all at the International School of Dubai?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.08.2011, 11:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: zug
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NatDrayton has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Thank you everyone, I did look into IMKC club, looks great, my problem is we are only potentially here for another two months and all clubs and nurseries are on a full year membership thing.. anyway I am making my way.

HoilldayG nope my husband and I never went to school in Dubai, but they do have very good education there- do you know of the international school?

ArthurD I would love to meet up for a coffee, only problem is my child is very busy on the verge of hyperactive, the closest I will ever get to a coffee date is to get takeaway coffee and meet in the park..lol

Thank you everyone for the advice, this has been great.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.08.2011, 11:13
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Zug

Quote:
View Post
Thank you everyone, I did look into IMKC club, looks great, my problem is we are only potentially here for another two months and all clubs and nurseries are on a full year membership thing.. anyway I am making my way.

HoilldayG nope my husband and I never went to school in Dubai, but they do have very good education there- do you know of the international school?

ArthurD I would love to meet up for a coffee, only problem is my child is very busy on the verge of hyperactive, the closest I will ever get to a coffee date is to get takeaway coffee and meet in the park..lol

Thank you everyone for the advice, this has been great.
A friend of mine's wife teaches at the International School of Dubai.

Last year, I was working in Abu Dhabi and visited Dubai many times.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.08.2011, 12:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: zug
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NatDrayton has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Great did you enjoy Dubai?, Dubai is everything Switzerland is not and Switzerland is everything Dubai is not- if we could melt the 2 countries together it would be fun
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.08.2011, 15:05
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Zug

Quote:
View Post
Great did you enjoy Dubai?, Dubai is everything Switzerland is not and Switzerland is everything Dubai is not- if we could melt the 2 countries together it would be fun
Dubai was pretty fun for a few months. We went diving a lot and
visited the indoor snow mountain.

In a way, I kind of miss it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sarah-anna has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

I'm new too. We moved from the states a week ago and I'm trying to find things for my two year old to do too. She keeps following Swiss children around trying to talk to them in English. I'd love to meet up at a park anytime, my schedule is wide open. I do think I'm going to try the IMKC play group on Tuesday mornings--so we have something to do each week.

Let me know if you want to get together.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.08.2011, 21:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Zug

Quote:
View Post
I'm new too. We moved from the states a week ago and I'm trying to find things for my two year old to do too. She keeps following Swiss children around trying to talk to them in English. I'd love to meet up at a park anytime, my schedule is wide open. I do think I'm going to try the IMKC play group on Tuesday mornings--so we have something to do each week.

Let me know if you want to get together.
Just to let you know that I updated the "Activities" on the website this evening to reflect the new groups from September onwards. This week the groups will still be meeting outside. The 2-3 year old group is on a Wednesday morning, starting from September. I'll be going too with my little girl.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.09.2011, 00:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
magnum02 has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

she is cute ALEXA.
Quote:
View Post
Hello my name is Natalie Drayton, I have just joined this forum, so please excuse me I will have to do a bit of reading, to see if what I am looking for is not on another forum or group etc. My husband and I have just moved here from Dubai, (we have been in Dubai for 5 years but are originally from South Africa).

My husband is here on a work project for the next few months and I am spending my days trying to entertain our 2 year old daughter as best as possible. There are a few parks around our neighborhood but everyone I have met only speaks German. Are there any English speaking informal play groups or gatherings around town?, or would anyone like to meet up?
My daughter has been in play school in Dubai for the last 9 months and is extremely active, and now she stands at the front door with her backpack and says "school, school school- Lets go!!" I have thought about finding a nursery here, but we might only be here for another 2-3 months so not sure if its worth it.
Anyway I would love to meet anyone English speaking at this point.
Thanks
Natalie.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.10.2011, 23:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: schmerikon
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
natzskii has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Hi guys!! Im new to all this i am moving out to menzigen to be a nanny for a 14mnth old girl from nov21st so looking to meet some new friends to show me the ropes etc would be great to hear from a you !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.10.2011, 23:48
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,178
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Zug

Quote:
View Post
Hi, brand new in Zug. only seven days fresh from London !
happy to meet some other newbies and get chatting.
Send me an inmail etc and we get in touch; I am getting to know this forum slowly but looks great.

You might want to change your location then as it is showing you in Zurich
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.10.2011, 11:52
IzabelaInZug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 61 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 485 Times in 257 Posts
IzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeable
Re: New in Zug

Im in Zug too. I will be happy to meet up with you. I don't have kids of my own ad don't know any play groups but i worked with kids a lot so for me this is natural situation the more the merrier so if you want to meet up for coffe and chat let me know... I am a bit bored here so far so drop me a line when you can and we will take it from there
Best of luck,
Izabela

Quote:
View Post
Hello my name is Natalie Drayton, I have just joined this forum, so please excuse me I will have to do a bit of reading, to see if what I am looking for is not on another forum or group etc. My husband and I have just moved here from Dubai, (we have been in Dubai for 5 years but are originally from South Africa).

My husband is here on a work project for the next few months and I am spending my days trying to entertain our 2 year old daughter as best as possible. There are a few parks around our neighborhood but everyone I have met only speaks German. Are there any English speaking informal play groups or gatherings around town?, or would anyone like to meet up?
My daughter has been in play school in Dubai for the last 9 months and is extremely active, and now she stands at the front door with her backpack and says "school, school school- Lets go!!" I have thought about finding a nursery here, but we might only be here for another 2-3 months so not sure if its worth it.
Anyway I would love to meet anyone English speaking at this point.
Thanks
Natalie.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.10.2011, 03:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: schmerikon
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
natzskii has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Hiiii!!!

I fly out on November 19th, and will be on my own working as a nanny im looking to make friendships... if it is possible to meet also ? I will be living in menzingen :-)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22.10.2011, 09:50
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Zug

Quote:
View Post
I'm new too. We moved from the states a week ago and I'm trying to find things for my two year old to do too. She keeps following Swiss children around trying to talk to them in English. I'd love to meet up at a park anytime, my schedule is wide open. I do think I'm going to try the IMKC play group on Tuesday mornings--so we have something to do each week.

Let me know if you want to get together.
Check out Peace Foods in Baar. It is an American bakery/restaurant
with cheesecake, Bagels, waffles, etc.

www.peacefoods.ch
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: schmerikon
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
natzskii has no particular reputation at present
Re: New in Zug

Hi guys i will arrive in menzingen 19th then will be looking to make friends quick as i know nobody in the area apart from the family i will work with here is my mobile (uk) at the moment

Last edited by jrspet; 29.11.2011 at 22:09.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:36
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Zug

I wouldn't post your number on the board. You might
have all kinds of nutjobs calling you.

You can use the PM function to send to individual members.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new in Zug! tanyael Introductions 8 08.07.2009 15:00
new in Zug arsalan Introductions 7 03.07.2009 03:53
New in Zug eoin27 Introductions 7 01.10.2008 22:12
New in Zug Nelly Introductions 3 01.06.2007 02:19
New in Zug dutch grl Introductions 2 15.05.2007 21:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0