Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.09.2011, 04:37
SwitzerNooganDad's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Niederrohrdorf
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
SwitzerNooganDad has no particular reputation at present
Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Hello everyone! Finally our papers are in order and our family of four (me, wife, and 2 daughters, ages 6 and 3) is headed to the "Confoederatio Helvetica" from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I have lived and worked internationally before (last time was 20+ years ago though) but the rest of my family has not -- we are excited and a little nervous. It looks like there are tons of great tips and cool people on EF, and we are looking forward to meeting some of y'all soon!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.09.2011, 10:45
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Welcome, hope the move goes well and look forward to hearing how you settle in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.09.2011, 11:19
TitanTurbo10's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 585
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 748 Times in 306 Posts
TitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond reputeTitanTurbo10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

All the best for the move!! How's your German?

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.09.2011, 12:27
Kristanez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home and native land
Posts: 600
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 589 Times in 252 Posts
Kristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Hi and welcome!

Hope your time here is positive. Well wishes to your wife and children as well...let the adventure begin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.09.2011, 14:39
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Welcome to the English Forum and Switzerland from
another Southener!

Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.09.2011, 22:03
SwitzerNooganDad's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Niederrohrdorf
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
SwitzerNooganDad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the English Forum and Switzerland from
another Southener!

Good luck with the move!
Many thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! We arrived early Sunday morning (yes, 9/11) with no major complications or issues. Our 5 and 3 year olds did surprisingly well on the long flight, although today they are definitely showing us an ornery side which we have never seen to this degree before! Even though we're in company-provided temporary lodging, shouldn't everyone be stable and adjusted to our new life after 36 hours or so??? (kidding!) We are in temporary living at the moment, are supposed to do apartment handover for our place on Wednesday, and all our stuff from home is being delivered on Thursday and Friday... so hopefully everyone will be chillaxed by then.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank SwitzerNooganDad for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 12.09.2011, 22:50
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,605
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,070 Times in 3,754 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Quote:
View Post
Many thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! We arrived early Sunday morning (yes, 9/11) with no major complications or issues. Our 5 and 3 year olds did surprisingly well on the long flight, although today they are definitely showing us an ornery side which we have never seen to this degree before! Even though we're in company-provided temporary lodging, shouldn't everyone be stable and adjusted to our new life after 36 hours or so??? (kidding!) We are in temporary living at the moment, are supposed to do apartment handover for our place on Wednesday, and all our stuff from home is being delivered on Thursday and Friday... so hopefully everyone will be chillaxed by then.

The fun part is only just beginning. Have you escaped to the office yet?

Temporary housing is not usually very child-friendly and kids are quite bored. Until their toys arrive (you did ship toys, right?) you could visit one of several toy libraries where you can borrow toys. It's been a great solution for my clients with children who were waiting for their childrens' own toys to arrive. They are also second hand childrens' shops selling toys at greatly reduced prices if borrowing isn't your thing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.09.2011, 23:14
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,230
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 722 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Hey, welcome to the country!!

Hope the settling-in goes smoothly ... how much time has your company given you to get settled?

Another solution to help the kids settle in is to visit a Brockie (Brockenhaus, Brockenstübli, and so on) - a second-hand shop, where prices are low, so you can quite happily tell the kids to grab anything they like (that's not too smelly!). Can be a fun day out ... so maybe you or your wife can take the kids, while the other parent deals with contracts and receiving deliveries ...
There are actually (don't tell my wife I said this!) some great bargains to be found in Brockies, as long as you have the time to search ...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.09.2011, 11:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmensdorf ZH, ex-Lausanne
Posts: 415
Groaned at 15 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 182 Posts
NicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone! Finally our papers are in order and our family of four (me, wife, and 2 daughters, ages 6 and 3) is headed to the "Confoederatio Helvetica" from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I have lived and worked internationally before (last time was 20+ years ago though) but the rest of my family has not -- we are excited and a little nervous. It looks like there are tons of great tips and cool people on EF, and we are looking forward to meeting some of y'all soon!
Welcome! My mommy is from Chattanooga! I hope you love Zurich as much as I do!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.09.2011, 11:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
windycityfamily has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

We arrived a few months ago from Chicago, and are "almost" settled in. Hope things go smoothly for you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.09.2011, 12:06
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello - Moving to Zurich area from USA in one week!

Quote:
View Post
Many thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! We arrived early Sunday morning (yes, 9/11) with no major complications or issues. Our 5 and 3 year olds did surprisingly well on the long flight, although today they are definitely showing us an ornery side which we have never seen to this degree before! Even though we're in company-provided temporary lodging, shouldn't everyone be stable and adjusted to our new life after 36 hours or so??? (kidding!) We are in temporary living at the moment, are supposed to do apartment handover for our place on Wednesday, and all our stuff from home is being delivered on Thursday and Friday... so hopefully everyone will be chillaxed by then.
If you have any questions about the bureaucracy, area, language
or whatever, let me know.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving to Zurich, Switzerland from New York, USA mswiss Introductions 40 24.08.2011 19:30
Hello moving to Basel Switzerland from USA (NJ) ssuarez1081 Introductions 5 03.05.2009 08:50
Moving from USA to Zurich and need your help! cavalierlover Introductions 15 05.08.2008 09:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0