Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.11.2011, 21:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
dalingling has no particular reputation at present
A Cali moving to Bern

Hello hello!

I'm moving to Bern, Switzerland in a few months for work and just thought I'd say hello! I've visited Switzerland several times before but never actually moved there for work, so I'm really excited for all the new adventures I hope to have! LOL. I'll probably be using this forum a lot to meet new people and share what life is like for a Cali girl. If you're also from California, send me a message! I'd love to hear what you think about Switzerland and maybe get some advice on adjusting to life in the CH.

Tcshüss!

Steph
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dalingling for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 04.11.2011, 21:42
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Welcome to the forum, Steph.

Too bad, you´d be missing the Onion Market in Bern this year.

Zibelemärit (Onion Market) Bern
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.11.2011, 21:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
dalingling has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Awww. I wonder if the entire city then smells like onion for days. We have something similar, here, in Cali. The Gilroy Garlic Festival (http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/). You can literally smell the garlic from miles away. Are there other festivals like the onion festivals in December or January? Any unique Christmas festivals?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dalingling for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 04.11.2011, 21:49
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

This is possibly the best up-to-date resource for you:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/dest...itzerland.html

and not forgetting:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Specials...l?cid=29177816
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.11.2011, 08:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
AshleeO2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

I'm from California too and lived 1 year in Bern (now in Zurich). The city does not smell like Gilroy. I wish it did though. I think Gilroy smells like wonderful Italian food.

Happy moving!

Quote:
View Post
Awww. I wonder if the entire city then smells like onion for days. We have something similar, here, in Cali. The Gilroy Garlic Festival (http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/). You can literally smell the garlic from miles away. Are there other festivals like the onion festivals in December or January? Any unique Christmas festivals?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.11.2011, 09:13
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Quote:
View Post
Hello hello!

I'm moving to Bern, Switzerland in a few months for work and just thought I'd say hello! I've visited Switzerland several times before but never actually moved there for work, so I'm really excited for all the new adventures I hope to have! LOL. I'll probably be using this forum a lot to meet new people and share what life is like for a Cali girl. If you're also from California, send me a message! I'd love to hear what you think about Switzerland and maybe get some advice on adjusting to life in the CH.

Tcshüss!

Steph
Welcome to Switzerland!! Bern is a wonderful little city with great
access to the mountains in the Berner Oberland( Interlaken area ).

What are you doing to be doing here?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.11.2011, 11:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Heimberg/Thun
Posts: 72
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
nlee24 has earned some respectnlee24 has earned some respect
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Welcome to Switzerland! Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.11.2011, 13:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
califlower has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Hello! I'm a Cali girl living in Basel. There are a lot of things I miss about CA, but Switzerland has really grown on me.

Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12.11.2011, 14:00
tiny_tim's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 278
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 89 Times in 71 Posts
tiny_tim has made some interesting contributions
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Quote:
View Post
Hello hello!

I'm moving to Bern, Switzerland in a few months for work and just thought I'd say hello! I've visited Switzerland several times before but never actually moved there for work, so I'm really excited for all the new adventures I hope to have! LOL. I'll probably be using this forum a lot to meet new people and share what life is like for a Cali girl. If you're also from California, send me a message! I'd love to hear what you think about Switzerland and maybe get some advice on adjusting to life in the CH.

Tcshüss!

Steph
Not a Cali-dude, just a former 'Okie'-tron, and have loved Switzerland since I got here in 1985.

Just get your filters ready to absorb something different than the (southern?) Cali vibe, and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.11.2011, 09:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
dalingling has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Thanks! I'll be working at Ernst & Young in Bern as an auditor. I'm starting to get ready for the big move... figuring out what to bring and what not to bring. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.11.2011, 13:23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
zufimufi has earned some respectzufimufi has earned some respect
Re: A Cali moving to Bern

Good luck with the move and the adjustment. We moved back to Lucerne last year from SF after living there for 15 years. Although I am originally from here, I am still adjusting. Switzerland is a good place to live but it's different, as in better organized but less colorful for example, from northern CA.

Quote:
View Post
Hello hello!

I'm moving to Bern, Switzerland in a few months for work and just thought I'd say hello! I've visited Switzerland several times before but never actually moved there for work, so I'm really excited for all the new adventures I hope to have! LOL. I'll probably be using this forum a lot to meet new people and share what life is like for a Cali girl. If you're also from California, send me a message! I'd love to hear what you think about Switzerland and maybe get some advice on adjusting to life in the CH.

Tcshüss!

Steph
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkeley, bern, cali, california




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pregnant, moving to Bern. Any other bumps in Bern? taramc13 Family matters/health 2 05.05.2011 20:37
Moving to Bern ivovasconcelos Introductions 6 10.03.2011 14:03
Reggae Dancehall Party in Basel: Cali P. & Black Phantom Sound Dr.Prius Social events 0 14.05.2010 20:12
Moving to Bern nicnac Housing in general 16 09.05.2010 18:19
Moving to Bern hilloh Introductions 4 16.02.2010 08:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0