Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.01.2012, 18:02
countrybumpkin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 389
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 685 Times in 268 Posts
countrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputation
Moving to Zug Area

Hi, we may be moving to the Zug area and having looked at some of the estate agents on line I need some advice. As I am a true country bumpkin I am keen to live somewhere not too built up, in the middle of nowhere would be ideal but looks unlikely and I can see that apartment living is the norm. Where should I look within a 20km radius of Zug that is as rural as I am likely to find?

many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.01.2012, 18:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Up on the outskirts of Oberägeri? Where the sun shines more than in the valleys.

Zug canton is rather densely populated. You'd be lucky if you get to rent a small house from a farmer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.01.2012, 20:24
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,577 Times in 748 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Yes, as Argus says it is pretty built up here. Even the "villages" are mostly modern - residential - business park places rather than proper country villages.

Oberaegeri is nice and the surroundings are superb. Might be worth looking at Walchwil as well. But beware if your workplace is west of Zug town centre, living in either of these villages would mean crossing the whole town from one side to the other every morning and evening rush hour.

Alternatively, if you want to be really out in the sticks, you could look in the area north-west of canton Zug, going towards Muri and Aarau. It's much more agricultural up there and the villages are more authentic. The downside to that is that integration might be more difficult and you would not benefit from the very advantageous income taxes of Zug, plus of course the commute would be longer.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank stephen_NE for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.01.2012, 20:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,473
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
Hi, we may be moving to the Zug area and having looked at some of the estate agents on line I need some advice. As I am a true country bumpkin I am keen to live somewhere not too built up, in the middle of nowhere would be ideal but looks unlikely and I can see that apartment living is the norm. Where should I look within a 20km radius of Zug that is as rural as I am likely to find?
I find Zug city as rural as I can take. The first hint of sunshine come spring and the whole town smells like cow p**p

We are 5 mins walk of a farm that sells seasonal veges and fruit, their own honey, and eggs and milk from a coin-operated milk-o-mat that's open 24/7.

Zug itself isn't that big, so you don't have to go far out to fine peace and quiet. Friends live right on the edge of town on a farm that's about 15 minutes walk or 5 mins drive into Zug.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.01.2012, 23:27
IzabelaInZug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 61 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 485 Times in 257 Posts
IzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Marie, would you please tell me where that place/farm where I can buy fresh veggies is situated? I've been looking for something like this in Zug but this is the first time when I hear of it. I noticed there are some farmers markets in the center of Zug but all these products/vegetables are too dear. Are the prices in 'your' place any better? I can imagine it should be cheaper if you buy it directly from a farmer?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.01.2012, 23:51
silverburn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Unterageri
Posts: 826
Groaned at 37 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 833 Times in 343 Posts
silverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zug Area

I'm up in Unterageri for exactly the same reasons you chose. Would like a bit more country (as others have suggested - maybe up the slope from Oberageri might be better), but beggars cant be choosers - its my first CH flat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.01.2012, 09:22
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
Marie, would you please tell me where that place/farm where I can buy fresh veggies is situated? I've been looking for something like this in Zug but this is the first time when I hear of it. I noticed there are some farmers markets in the center of Zug but all these products/vegetables are too dear. Are the prices in 'your' place any better? I can imagine it should be cheaper if you buy it directly from a farmer?
You can go to the top of the Zugerberg; there's always something up there. I've also noticed a few farms selling on Steinhauserstrasse and Schochenmüllerstrasse, just drive down the street.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.01.2012, 10:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
Marie, would you please tell me where that place/farm where I can buy fresh veggies is situated? I've been looking for something like this in Zug but this is the first time when I hear of it. I noticed there are some farmers markets in the center of Zug but all these products/vegetables are too dear. Are the prices in 'your' place any better? I can imagine it should be cheaper if you buy it directly from a farmer?
In Cham, there's a farm up on Schluechtstrasse which has an unmanned shop. You weigh or count the stuff you want and drop your payment in a box. Young families like to go there as the children are allowed to pet the calves and cows.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.01.2012, 12:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,473
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
Marie, would you please tell me where that place/farm where I can buy fresh veggies is situated? I've been looking for something like this in Zug but this is the first time when I hear of it. I noticed there are some farmers markets in the center of Zug but all these products/vegetables are too dear. Are the prices in 'your' place any better? I can imagine it should be cheaper if you buy it directly from a farmer?
The farm shop is around the back of the Kantonschule. Bus 33, Rutschenhöf, or around a 10 minute walk past the Kantonschule.

There is another on the road to Inwil from Zug and out the back of Baar is Hof Märcht http://www.hofmaercht.ch/index.php

The prices are not only less but the quality is much better and hasn't been handled as much or stored as long. I find supermarket apples taste like wax and pesticide.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.01.2012, 12:10
IzabelaInZug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 61 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 485 Times in 257 Posts
IzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
In Cham, there's a farm up on Schluechtstrasse which has an unmanned shop. You weigh or count the stuff you want and drop your payment in a box. Young families like to go there as the children are allowed to pet the calves and cows.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Are you going there today by any chance? How about our coffee and a walk ? You could show me the farm? The dog will be happy to make some new friends I'm sure...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.01.2012, 15:15
countrybumpkin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 389
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 685 Times in 268 Posts
countrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Hi again and thanks for the useful info. We are coming next week for a preliminary visit so will hopefully have time to visit all the places suggested, even the veg farm will be on my list. We are trying to analyse our present living costs against those we will incur if we move and I am having problems finding out average utility costs; water, electric, heating etc and would value insight into these.

Thanks again, this is a brilliant forum!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank countrybumpkin for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 19.01.2012, 15:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for. Are you going there today by any chance? How about our coffee and a walk ? You could show me the farm? The dog will be happy to make some new friends I'm sure...
We have some other errands to run today, See you another time, Izabela.


Quote:
View Post
Hi again and thanks for the useful info. We are coming next week for a preliminary visit so will hopefully have time to visit all the places suggested, even the veg farm will be on my list. We are trying to analyse our present living costs against those we will incur if we move and I am having problems finding out average utility costs; water, electric, heating etc and would value insight into these.

Thanks again, this is a brilliant forum!
It depends on your apartment building, how energy efficient it is, how frequently they clean the general areas, if it has elevators, etc. For us, it's about CHF150 a month. If there's a shortfall, they'll bill us the rest at the end of the year - a lump sum of about CHF200 to 300, at the most.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19.01.2012, 15:31
countrybumpkin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 389
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 685 Times in 268 Posts
countrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputationcountrybumpkin has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to Zug Area

Quote:
View Post
It depends on your apartment building, how energy efficient it is, how frequently they clean the general areas, if it has elevators, etc. For us, it's about CHF150 a month. If there's a shortfall, they'll bill us the rest at the end of the year - a lump sum of about CHF200 to 300, at the most.

Thanks again, that really helps. If we do make it maybe our dogs could have a walk together? Mine is a 10 year old grumpy (not always) female but will be missing her walking partner.

Last edited by Longbyt; 19.01.2012 at 16:43. Reason: Please leave square brackets and their contents round quotes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank countrybumpkin for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving to the Zug area. auggie Introductions 9 23.03.2010 17:57
Moving to Zug area stellacat Housing in general 9 21.02.2010 21:46
Moving to the Zug area nomadicfoodie Introductions 4 10.11.2009 14:17
Moving to Zug area July ardfield Introductions 2 18.04.2009 09:32
Moving To Zug Area Helen W Introductions 7 02.07.2008 15:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0