Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
View Poll Results: What has been the most challenging aspect of life in Switzerland for YOU?
Language 15 55.56%
Social - making / meeting friends 5 18.52%
Understanding new systems - taxes, healthcare etc 7 25.93%
Sense of humour?! 3 11.11%
Missing stuff from home 3 11.11%
Other.... (tell me what!) 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.01.2012, 02:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
The best way to start in Switzerland

Hey. After a rough few years in the UK, my Swiss wife & I are planning to move to Switzerland in the next 12 months. We havent decided where to live in CH, but Ticino or Bern are top contenders at the moment. I've spent lots of holidays in Switzerland over the last 8-10 years and my German is pretty good.

Whilst I've travelled loads and I'm a confident / outgoing person, I'm both excited and unsettled at the thought of new country / new life. My life in the UK has been safe, secure and (up until 5 years ago) very good. I have a couple of business ideas to pursue, but no firm career plans. My career has dominated my life so far, so that doesn't stress me too much - must find balance Daniel-Son. My wife would pick up a fairly good job quite quickly and we plan to rent initially whilst deciding exactly where to settle. My ideal plan would be to travel around CH for 2-3 months and end up at the place that works. Countryside with City access... life quality, better weather, good food...

Questions: 1. Where is this place?
2. Do they have SKY tv? ;-)

Tips, advice and general banter welcome. Oh. Other question (aimed at Brits) is what do you miss from home?

Cheers ears
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.01.2012, 17:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington d.c
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
hendrixman has become a little unpopularhendrixman has become a little unpopular
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Bern is the easier road to travel in my opinion for getting settled.The Tessin is nice but the infrastructure is less developed in everyday amenities.I honestly hope things for you and your family improve in the coming months and years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.01.2012, 17:21
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,536
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,600 Times in 9,860 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

I would think Bern too, depending on what sort of work you'll both be looking for. It's central so pretty easy to reach most parts of Switzerland.

Yes, you can organise Sky TV. Can be a bit fiddly, but can be done. Best thing is if you can use a UK address (parents, siblings, friends) then just bring the box and card over with you. You can get an LMB and dish easily here. Otherwise, if you don't have a UK address, there are companies who can look after a Sky account for you, but expect to pay extra for the privilege.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.01.2012, 17:30
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,199
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,322 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Hi Manucunian and welcome! Nice to have more Mancunians here

I definitely think Bern would be your better option for countryside, easy access to city and easy access to full on mountains. We are outside Basel and have beautiful countryside and only 9 mins into Basel by train, but proper Big Mountains are over an hour away .. so not so good.

Sky .. no problem! Better to bring your own with you though .. you can easily buy freesat digiboxes over here but they are not likely to have all the sky plus add ons and, of course, if you actually want to use the Sky subscription services, I think you need the real thing.

Life will be good over here. Good luck!

PS miss the Manchester rain .. no really! It either pours down or is bone dry here. A nice bit of settled drizzle for a fortnight or so wouldn't go amiss ....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.01.2012, 17:51
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,243
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

A) Which part is your wife from?

B) What are your qualifications?

C) Which Swiss languages do you and she speak?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.01.2012, 22:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Bern is the easier road to travel in my opinion for getting settled.The Tessin is nice but the infrastructure is less developed in everyday amenities.I honestly hope things for you and your family improve in the coming months and years.
Thanks H,

Have been told this before. Maybe The Tessin is idyllic but a slower moving place...? Have only holidayed there before and haven't been to Bern yet, but plan to visit for a nosey. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.01.2012, 22:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Bern is the easier road to travel in my opinion for getting settled.The Tessin is nice but the infrastructure is less developed in everyday amenities.I honestly hope things for you and your family improve in the coming months and years.
Quote:
View Post
I would think Bern too, depending on what sort of work you'll both be looking for. It's central so pretty easy to reach most parts of Switzerland.

Yes, you can organise Sky TV. Can be a bit fiddly, but can be done. Best thing is if you can use a UK address (parents, siblings, friends) then just bring the box and card over with you. You can get an LMB and dish easily here. Otherwise, if you don't have a UK address, there are companies who can look after a Sky account for you, but expect to pay extra for the privilege.
Thanks this is helpful - I don't plan on being a member of the Royle family but I think the comfort of SKY will keep me sane at times of need ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Hi Manucunian and welcome! Nice to have more Mancunians here

I definitely think Bern would be your better option for countryside, easy access to city and easy access to full on mountains. We are outside Basel and have beautiful countryside and only 9 mins into Basel by train, but proper Big Mountains are over an hour away .. so not so good.

Sky .. no problem! Better to bring your own with you though .. you can easily buy freesat digiboxes over here but they are not likely to have all the sky plus add ons and, of course, if you actually want to use the Sky subscription services, I think you need the real thing.

Life will be good over here. Good luck!

PS miss the Manchester rain .. no really! It either pours down or is bone dry here. A nice bit of settled drizzle for a fortnight or so wouldn't go amiss ....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.01.2012, 22:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thanks this is helpful - I don't plan on being a member of the Royle family but I think the comfort of SKY will keep me sane at times of need ;-)
Bern is definitely winning the poll so far.... Thanks for the sky tips. It's funny, although I am cursing the incessant rain at the moment, I'm sure at times i will miss Manchester's drizzle... Although better weather means more outdoor stuff which is a massive bonus...

Ta
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.01.2012, 23:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Do you and/or your wife speak fluent German? Not always essential if you are sent over to work for a large International company- but certainly is if you want to start your own business here. Times are hard even in Switzerland and many companies and businesses struggling to keep going, partly due to the strong Swiss Franc. I really wouldn't come on the off chance of finding work- as it is almost impossible to find accommodation without being able to prove that your income can support the rent, etc, and private health insurance cover is obligatory from day 1 (although you have 3 months to put in place, back paid to day 1) and very expensive. It is just not easy honest- you really have to do your homework first. Wish you luck though.

Incessant rain here too, sorry.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.01.2012, 23:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A) Which part is your wife from?

B) What are your qualifications?

C) Which Swiss languages do you and she speak?

Tom
@st2lemans -

A) Zurich
B) I left Uni early and ran a successful business for over 10 years (interior design sector). My wife is v well qualified in international tourism.
C) she spks Swiss German, English (including street Mancunian) and French. I speak German and English (bit of French) and we're both planning to learn Italian this year.

I know based on the above, life in the German speaking parts would be easier. I do like the idea of living in Ticino, how have you found living there Tom?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.01.2012, 23:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Excellent news on the language front - although street Mancunian is not strictly essential to work in 5* Hotel in Gstaad, Montreux or Zermatt- not even Bern

However it is a fact that the Swiss tourism industry is very down at the mo due to high Swiss Franc and low $, and world crisis, so not much recruitment taking place.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.01.2012, 20:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Maybe we could teach street Mancunian to Switzerland:

Lesson one: alright ar kid, wot y'onnabout?

Could be useful for those trying to break into new markets in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23.01.2012, 21:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Bern is the easier road to travel in my opinion for getting settled.The Tessin is nice but the infrastructure is less developed in everyday amenities.I honestly hope things for you and your family improve in the coming months and years.
Quote:
View Post
I would think Bern too, depending on what sort of work you'll both be looking for. It's central so pretty easy to reach most parts of Switzerland.

Yes, you can organise Sky TV. Can be a bit fiddly, but can be done. Best thing is if you can use a UK address (parents, siblings, friends) then just bring the box and card over with you. You can get an LMB and dish easily here. Otherwise, if you don't have a UK address, there are companies who can look after a Sky account for you, but expect to pay extra for the privilege.

Ok we have developments....

1. My better half and I plan to visit CH in Spring for a week... get a train pass to see as many cities & large towns as possible, so we can get a better feel for areas (I need a city in my life!)

2. In the summer we'll come back in the car - with our chocolate labrador :-)) - for 2 weeks travelling / camping / visiting the areas we're most interested in.

3. Then we can argue for 14 hours straight on the way back...





Quote:
View Post
Hi Manucunian and welcome! Nice to have more Mancunians here

I definitely think Bern would be your better option for countryside, easy access to city and easy access to full on mountains. We are outside Basel and have beautiful countryside and only 9 mins into Basel by train, but proper Big Mountains are over an hour away .. so not so good.

Sky .. no problem! Better to bring your own with you though .. you can easily buy freesat digiboxes over here but they are not likely to have all the sky plus add ons and, of course, if you actually want to use the Sky subscription services, I think you need the real thing.

Life will be good over here. Good luck!

PS miss the Manchester rain .. no really! It either pours down or is bone dry here. A nice bit of settled drizzle for a fortnight or so wouldn't go amiss ....
Quote:
View Post
A) Which part is your wife from?

B) What are your qualifications?

C) Which Swiss languages do you and she speak?

Tom
Quote:
Do you and/or your wife speak fluent German? Not always essential if you are sent over to work for a large International company- but certainly is if you want to start your own business here. Times are hard even in Switzerland and many companies and businesses struggling to keep going, partly due to the strong Swiss Franc. I really wouldn't come on the off chance of finding work- as it is almost impossible to find accommodation without being able to prove that your income can support the rent, etc, and private health insurance cover is obligatory from day 1 (although you have 3 months to put in place, back paid to day 1) and very expensive. It is just not easy honest- you really have to do your homework first. Wish you luck though.

Incessant rain here too, sorry.
Quote:
View Post
Maybe we could teach street Mancunian to Switzerland:

Lesson one: alright ar kid, wot y'onnabout?

Could be useful for those trying to break into new markets in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23.01.2012, 21:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Great - but make sure you've got all the paperwork, jabs, microchip, international passport, etc for that lovely choc lab. You won't have problems coming here, but getting back into UK is such a palaver.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.01.2012, 23:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mans chest hair UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mancunian1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The best way to start in Switzerland

Quote:
Great - but make sure you've got all the paperwork, jabs, microchip, international passport, etc for that lovely choc lab. You won't have problems coming here, but getting back into UK is such a palaver.
Is it really? We've got pet passports (we have Swiss cats) plus paperwork & dog microchip etc. Will need to get dog insurance though just in case she breaks free and licks someone to death in a terrible freak accident...

When my wife arrived in the UK with her two cats we had to hang around the vet quarantine centre @ heathrow for 2-3 hours but it wasn't too bad.

My mates think its hilarious when I have to shout at the cats in Swiss German for them to understand. Are we the only ones with multilingual pets...?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heaven or hell, new life, sky tv, what do you miss, where to live




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not the best way to start your holiday, but could have been much worse... Guest International affairs/politics 22 22.09.2011 17:54
What would be the best expat servicing business to start in Basel?? Canadiangal Business & entrepreneur 76 14.01.2011 21:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0