Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:27
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Attention [Spider] Warning

Just want to warn everyone about a poisonous spider that is new here my son 4yrs old was playing in the garden a couple of months ago and was bitten on his foot by a poisonous spider i took him to he doctors straight away (this was wednesday) then again thursday and again friday as the doctor wanted to control his foot each day was worse more swelling finally on friday they gave me permission to go to the hospital if it was worse that night he got alot worse and had to rush him to the emergency there they had to ring zurich because they didn`t really know what/which medicine to give him. Then finally they could treat him (he was VERY VERY ill) he had to stay in hospital with 3 drips and gibs on his leg in a wheelchair for nearly a week he was allowed home but for 2 weeks he had to take stronge antibiotics and stay in bed

Any questions ask away
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:29
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,528
Groaned at 364 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,752 Times in 4,349 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post

Any questions ask away
More info on the spider. A photo, where it can be found etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:30
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
Just want to warn everyone about a poisonous spider that is new here my son 4yrs old was playing in the garden a couple of months ago and was bitten on his foot by a poisonous spider i took him to he doctors straight away (this was wednesday) then again thursday and again friday as the doctor wanted to control his foot each day was worse more swelling finally on friday they gave me permission to go to the hospital if it was worse that night he got alot worse and had to rush him to the emergency there they had to ring zurich because they didn`t really know what/which medicine to give him. Then finally they could treat him (he was VERY VERY ill) he had to stay in hospital with 3 drips and gibs on his leg in a wheelchair for nearly a week he was allowed home but for 2 weeks he had to take stronge antibiotics and stay in bed

Any questions ask away
What sort of spider?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:31
Flashman4's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Haegendorf
Posts: 836
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 259 Posts
Flashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputation
Re: Attention Warning

Very sorry to hear about your son Sutter. What type of spider was it? Was your sons reaction due to a (severe) allergic reaction?

Glad he's on the mend now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:38
Flashman4's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Haegendorf
Posts: 836
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 259 Posts
Flashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputation
Re: Attention Warning

On the SFDRS website there's a piece about central Europe's most poisonous spider which is on the march in Switzerland.

Quote: Die giftigste Spinne von Mitteleuropa ist jetzt auch in der Schweiz im Vormarsch: In Berg im Kanton St. Gallen soll die giftige Dornfingerspinne schon drei Menschen gebissen haben. (Translation: Now the most poisonus spider of Central Europe is also on the march in Switzerland : In the mountainous canton St. Gallen the toxic thorn finger spider has already bitten three people.)

Link here: http://www.sf.tv/sf1/schweizaktuell/...docid=20060703
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
vk07 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Attention Warning

According to

http://www.dict.cc/english-german/sack.html

the name translates into yellow sack spider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_sack_spider

Viktor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:53
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: Attention Warning

Based up on the wiki site, it does appear as if the OP's son did have a severe not common reaction to the bite. Poor little guy.

Quote:
View Post
According to

http://www.dict.cc/english-german/sack.html

the name translates into yellow sack spider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_sack_spider

Viktor
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Attention Warning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheiracanthium_punctorium

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206913,00.html

"Collectors are willing to fork over more than $255 for a single specimen, according to Kurier, an Austrian daily."

Happy huntin guys
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2007, 13:54
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
On the SFDRS website there's a piece about central Europe's most poisonous spider which is on the march in Switzerland.

Quote: Die giftigste Spinne von Mitteleuropa ist jetzt auch in der Schweiz im Vormarsch: In Berg im Kanton St. Gallen soll die giftige Dornfingerspinne schon drei Menschen gebissen haben. (Translation: Now the most poisonus spider of Central Europe is also on the march in Switzerland : In the mountainous canton St. Gallen the toxic thorn finger spider has already bitten three people.)

Link here: http://www.sf.tv/sf1/schweizaktuell/...docid=20060703


All you need to know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheiracanthium_punctorium
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:08
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
Very sorry to hear about your son Sutter. What type of spider was it? Was your sons reaction due to a (severe) allergic reaction?

Glad he's on the mend now.
No the spider gives you blood poisoning and this can kill you
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:11
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
On the SFDRS website there's a piece about central Europe's most poisonous spider which is on the march in Switzerland.

Quote: Die giftigste Spinne von Mitteleuropa ist jetzt auch in der Schweiz im Vormarsch: In Berg im Kanton St. Gallen soll die giftige Dornfingerspinne schon drei Menschen gebissen haben. (Translation: Now the most poisonus spider of Central Europe is also on the march in Switzerland : In the mountainous canton St. Gallen the toxic thorn finger spider has already bitten three people.)

Link here: http://www.sf.tv/sf1/schweizaktuell/...docid=20060703
Yes that was the nasty little bastard that bit my son, but the doctrs where puzzled way it was in the garden and also normally they bite you in defence but this 1 jumped on his fot and bit him you can still see the bite marks (like a snake bite)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:15
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
Based up on the wiki site, it does appear as if the OP's son did have a severe not common reaction to the bite. Poor little guy.
The doctors told me it wasn`t a reaction that the spider bite poisons your blood, yes thanks can you imagine all his friends playing outside and hes not allowed out because he had to keep his up, if not then he would have to go back to hospital for more meds in a drip.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:21
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,621
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,925 Times in 5,542 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

First the tics and now deadly spiders. What's this country coming to? Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:33
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
First the tics and now deadly spiders. What's this country coming to? Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah i know we have had the injetions against the tics but god knows why we bothered did you read about the guy who is in the coma after the tic got him and he had also the injections against them, and even if he wakes up he will be disabled.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:38
l00p's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 191
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 40 Posts
l00p has earned some respectl00p has earned some respect
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
According to

http://www.dict.cc/english-german/sack.html

the name translates into yellow sack spider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_sack_spider

Viktor
We have a similar species of Spider in South Africa too! Really nasty little guys...

I'm yet to see one here but word of advise, if the european Sac Spiders are anything like the ones we have back home, a common place you'll find these little guys are in the folds or curtains or blinds.

Details here :

http://www.museums.org.za/bio/spiderweb/miturg.htm
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:49
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
View Post
We have a similar species of Spider in South Africa too! Really nasty little guys...

I'm yet to see one here but word of advise, if the european Sac Spiders are anything like the ones we have back home, a common place you'll find these little guys are in the folds or curtains or blinds.

Details here :

http://www.museums.org.za/bio/spiderweb/miturg.htm
Oh my god is no where safe?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26.10.2007, 14:54
l00p's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 191
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 40 Posts
l00p has earned some respectl00p has earned some respect
Re: Attention Warning

Quote:
Oh my god is no where safe?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
Look, the spiders were here long before us. We just need to learn to live with them.

Accidents happen, you can't stop that, but as long as we educate ourselves on the 'natural world' around us, we'll be safe.

Trust me, I've had to live with these, and allot of other nasty little critters my whole life.


...by the way, hope your son gets better soon. Not nice for a little guy to go through so much pain.

Last edited by l00p; 26.10.2007 at 14:56. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26.10.2007, 15:00
Woodsie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 898
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 665 Times in 338 Posts
Woodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

That's not a spider. Now this is a spider! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

Sorry, had to be done.

But these little bastards will chase you across the garden.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26.10.2007, 15:05
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,528
Groaned at 364 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,752 Times in 4,349 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Warning

I blame Blocher...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 26.10.2007, 15:06
Brianb_ie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 515
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 125 Times in 88 Posts
Brianb_ie has earned the respect of manyBrianb_ie has earned the respect of manyBrianb_ie has earned the respect of many
Re: Attention Warning

Aw Jesus I really didn't want to know this!!!

Operation vacuum every corner and crevice in my apartment begins tonight!!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warning: The Romands are ''different''? 20th Century Frog Complaints corner 9 09.12.2006 19:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0