Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.05.2012, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
New in Peseux

Hi,

I've been lurking in this forum for a while now because my family is moving to the Neuchatel region this summer. I have been able to gather some helpful information from this site, so thank you for that.

There are a few questions I would appreciate receiving answers to.

Firstly, we found a home in Peseux so I presume that is where we will enroll our kids in school. We are looking at the ecole primaire and at the ecole enfantine. Can anyone tell me anything about the quality of those schools or their reputation? My children speak no French but I presume they will learn to do so quickly.

I'd like to hear more about Peseux altogether since that's where we will be living. It seems like a safe and family-friendly town with good access to Neuchatel to me.

Also, I would love to join any play group in the area. Our youngest will be two in August. I am a stay-at-home mom but would prefer meetings in the mornings since I don't know at what time my two other kids will be coming home from school.

Finally, I'm looking for an internet and telephone provider. I don't really care about tv but if it's part of the package I'm not opposed to it. However, I like fast internet and I need a flat rate for phone calls to Germany. I think we'll have to choose swisscom because our house might not be connected to any other network. But I'm not sure how this works.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Carlasmom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.05.2012, 17:11
Sapin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton NE
Posts: 507
Groaned at 48 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 547 Times in 197 Posts
Sapin has a reputation beyond reputeSapin has a reputation beyond reputeSapin has a reputation beyond reputeSapin has a reputation beyond reputeSapin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Peseux

Hi and welcome to the forum!
There's a couple of members from around your area on the forum, so they'll surely be along soon to give you some info.

Peseux is a short bus ride away from Neuchâtel, so pretty close, you can walk too I guess, wouldn't be that far.

I honestly didn't think it was a town, but I'm prepared to stand corrected here! It seems more village sized to me.

As for a playgroup, you'll find some in Neuchatel, but in French, though some ladies on here have started to organise some meet-ups in nearby Neuchatel and Auvernier.

I don't live in NE, but I work there and like to go there for fun every now and again - I also have a little one the same age, so hopefully see you some time, would be excellent for my LO to know another little anglophone

Sorry I can't help with any other info, but good luck with your move!

Here's the link for the the English-speaking meet up
Looking for a playgroup in Neuchatel
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.05.2012, 17:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Neuchatel/Peseux

Thanks for the welcome and the link. I'll try contacting people once we're a little closer to our move.

Yeah, I guess Peseux is more a village than a town but close enough to Neuchatel to not feel too rural.

Hope to meet you at a play date!

Beata


Quote:
View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum!
There's a couple of members from around your area on the forum, so they'll surely be along soon to give you some info.

Peseux is a short bus ride away from Neuchâtel, so pretty close, you can walk too I guess, wouldn't be that far.

I honestly didn't think it was a town, but I'm prepared to stand corrected here! It seems more village sized to me.

As for a playgroup, you'll find some in Neuchatel, but in French, though some ladies on here have started to organise some meet-ups in nearby Neuchatel and Auvernier.

I don't live in NE, but I work there and like to go there for fun every now and again - I also have a little one the same age, so hopefully see you some time, would be excellent for my LO to know another little anglophone

Sorry I can't help with any other info, but good luck with your move!

Here's the link for the the English-speaking meet up
Looking for a playgroup in Neuchatel
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.05.2012, 18:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 794
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 375 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Peseux

Well actually Peseux is more of a suburb of Neuchâtel now. It has a decent number of supermarkets and other shops by Swiss standards but it's not the prettiest of areas. It's right up on the hill so to go to downtown Neuchâtel and back you'd be better off using the bus. It does have a couple of train stations (the Neuchâtel - La Chaux de Fonds - Le Locle line) too which is handy if you want to travel to other towns via Neuchâtel.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.05.2012, 19:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Hello and welcome. Peseux is indeed a suburb of Neuchatel nowadays. There are a couple of playgroups, but one of them was in trouble recently, because of the owner being overstrict with the kids and smacking them. So be careful. Public transport to Neuchatel is excellent and regular- and as said it has supermarkets, excellent textile shop and hardware store, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.05.2012, 19:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Thanks for your replies! Actually, I'm not looking for a play group where I'd leave my little one. I didn't word that correctly. I'm more interested in a meet-up group so that I can meet other moms and dads.

Peseux might not be the most scenic place but I like the proximity to Neuchatel since we couldn't find a place in town with a decent yard for our kids to play in.

I'm looking forward to the move!

--Beata
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.05.2012, 21:38
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,137
Groaned at 236 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 21,881 Times in 8,944 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Peseux

Welcome ( soon) to Neuchatel.
I think Peseux is a pretty good place to live. It has the advantage of having a reasonable selection of shops for day to day stuff (and a big new Aldi opened there only today) whilst being near enough to Neuchatel for restaurants, cinemas etc. and also the countryside all around.
I don't know much about the schools there although there is one of the very few (public) schools in Neuchatel located in Peseux which offers before and after school care and school lunches. That's a very rare thing around here as most of the kids come home for the two hour lunch break as there are no other options available.

We live out the other side of Neuchatel near Marin and have a 12 year old so not much use for your little one for playdates but would be happy to meet up for coffee or something when you arrive.

You might consider joining the Neuchatel international club too. They organise events for families throughout the year.

PS forgot to say that your kids will be given extra French tuition to help them along at first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.05.2012, 21:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

BTW just read that there is a new Montessori school opening near Neuchatel soon - but there will only be 15 places!! Beautiful location at Vaumarcus Chateau by the Lake- if that can be of any interest to any of the Neuch mums. There is also an interantional bilingual school St Georges.
Although personally, with young kids, I think the best option is for them to go to their local state school and get total immersion asap in French.


One of the great things with Peseux, is that you can easily access beautiful countryside in minutes - with direct access to La Brevine area and Val-de-Travers - with skiing, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, etc, right there. And a new big ALDI just opened this week.

Last edited by Odile; 26.05.2012 at 19:04.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.05.2012, 16:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Again, thanks for all the info.

I think we'll try the international club once we get there in two months time.

I'm glad to hear there's an Aldi in Peseux. We're moving from Germany and appreciate the benefits of having an Aldi store close by.

Lunch at school sounds interesting. Our kids will be 7, 5 and 2 years old in August. We're considering letting our oldest stay at school for lunch even though I'll be home and prepare lunch for the rest of us. The idea is that spending more hours in a French-speaking environment will help her pick up the language more quickly. We'll definitely send our kids to local schools because we want them to learn French and to go to school with children that live in the neighborhood. We're planning to stay for a long time.

Our children's language acquisition causes me less worries than my own. I speak very little French and will start taking classes in Neuchatel. I speak German but I don't think that'll help me much.

We're very excited about the move and look forward to meeting some of you! If you have any more tips or suggestions I'm happy to have them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.05.2012, 18:16
Big Mara's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berner Jura
Posts: 385
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 255 Posts
Big Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Peseux

If you speak german and your children were in german schools, why did you not try to find some where to live on the east side of Neuchatel?
There are at least 4 villages on the east side (Twann, Erlach, Gampelen and Inns) that have german speaking schools and easy transport links to Neuchatel.

Salut Zämma
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.05.2012, 10:54
bonaire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 270
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 137 Posts
bonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Peseux

Hi,

We are staying in temporary housing in Peseux. We have a 7 year old girl in the primary and a 5 year old boy in the enfantine. We moved here about 3 weeks ago from the US but our kids were bored and wanted to go to school to meet kids....even though they don't speak French. The schools are nice and the kids both are really enjoying themselves. There really aren't very many kids ( I think we have found one so far) that speak English but kids are kids and they make it work. The care offered at lunch and after school is not at the school. We didn't sign up for it as the year is almost over, so at least it is available and close to the school. We will be moving to Neuchatel soon for our rental home, but if your kids or one of the kids is/are around the same age as ours (and speak English) give us a shout..they'd love to play with kids they could communicate with.

Also, where is the Aldi's? I don't know how we haven't seen it yet. If you would like me to expand on our impressions of Peseux, let me know. Nothing bad, maybe just a bit slow at times.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bonaire for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.05.2012, 10:59
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New in Peseux

The new Aldi is in Vauseyon, Rue des Draizes I think.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.05.2012, 11:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

As you go down towards Neuchatel, it is on the right, after the Troc/antiques place.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.05.2012, 11:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

We are staying in temporary housing in Peseux. We have a 7 year old girl in the primary and a 5 year old boy in the enfantine. We moved here about 3 weeks ago from the US but our kids were bored and wanted to go to school to meet kids....even though they don't speak French. The schools are nice and the kids both are really enjoying themselves. There really aren't very many kids ( I think we have found one so far) that speak English but kids are kids and they make it work. The care offered at lunch and after school is not at the school. We didn't sign up for it as the year is almost over, so at least it is available and close to the school. We will be moving to Neuchatel soon for our rental home, but if your kids or one of the kids is/are around the same age as ours (and speak English) give us a shout..they'd love to play with kids they could communicate with.

Also, where is the Aldi's? I don't know how we haven't seen it yet. If you would like me to expand on our impressions of Peseux, let me know. Nothing bad, maybe just a bit slow at times.
My oldest two are very close in age to yours - 7 and 5 in August. They both carry American passports but speak no English. They were born in the US when we lived there for a few years. I, however, would love to get together with an American mom! And I'm sure my kids would enjoy playing with yours .

Good to know that even the little ones can have school lunches.

I'd love to hear more about your impressions of Peseux!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.05.2012, 11:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Quote:
View Post
If you speak german and your children were in german schools, why did you not try to find some where to live on the east side of Neuchatel?
There are at least 4 villages on the east side (Twann, Erlach, Gampelen and Inns) that have german speaking schools and easy transport links to Neuchatel.

Salut Zämma
We already signed the lease for the house in Peseux so that's no longer an option. Also, I'd hate to pass up the opportunity for my kids to learn another language. But thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 28.05.2012, 18:02
bonaire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 270
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 137 Posts
bonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputation
Re: New in Peseux

Hi Carlasmom,

I'm actually the dad in the family. My wife took a job with a company here and I work out of a home office for an international company that was able to transfer me here. But the school systems as currently constructed are a pain for me as it breaks up my day several times. Anyways, on to my impressions of Peseux. We have generally lived in large cities, Denver, Seattle, and Philadelphia to name the last three, so we have a different perspective than somebody coming from a smaller town. Generally, I'd consider this a pretty quite town with not a lot going on, which is probably to be expected from a small town. However, given the excellent transportation system here, it is very easy to get to Neuchatel and beyond. The people here have been friendly and we feel very comfortable. There are enough stores to take care of basic shopping needs. There are also plenty of kids running around, so your kids shouldn't have any issues there. It seems like the kind of community you could easily fit into given enough time (our 3 weeks and no French hardly qualify).

One heads up that I am still struggling with is that this place closes down (as most of Switzerland does) on Sundays and holidays. Our first Sunday here we stayed around the flat and nearly died of boredom. We quickly adjusted and make Sundays our explore Switzerland day, as tourist style things are open. So we did some cave exploration, butterfly pavillion, playground on top of the Juras kind of stuff. So, my advice is until you have some local friends to hang out with on a Sunday, plan to do your exploration on that day.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.05.2012, 19:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New in Peseux

Thanks for the heads up. We're moving from Germany so we're used to everything being closed on Sundays. It forces us to not run errands and we spend time together as a family

We hope to find lots of kids in neighborhood, that's how we live at the moment. We were in Peseux yesterday to enroll our kids at school. I'm not too impressed with the schoolyard and I understand what you mean about class hours breaking up your day. I guess I'll just have to get used to that.

Anyway, I hope our kids get to play together soon. We also like meeting American dads.

Quote:
View Post
Hi Carlasmom,

I'm actually the dad in the family. My wife took a job with a company here and I work out of a home office for an international company that was able to transfer me here. But the school systems as currently constructed are a pain for me as it breaks up my day several times. Anyways, on to my impressions of Peseux. We have generally lived in large cities, Denver, Seattle, and Philadelphia to name the last three, so we have a different perspective than somebody coming from a smaller town. Generally, I'd consider this a pretty quite town with not a lot going on, which is probably to be expected from a small town. However, given the excellent transportation system here, it is very easy to get to Neuchatel and beyond. The people here have been friendly and we feel very comfortable. There are enough stores to take care of basic shopping needs. There are also plenty of kids running around, so your kids shouldn't have any issues there. It seems like the kind of community you could easily fit into given enough time (our 3 weeks and no French hardly qualify).

One heads up that I am still struggling with is that this place closes down (as most of Switzerland does) on Sundays and holidays. Our first Sunday here we stayed around the flat and nearly died of boredom. We quickly adjusted and make Sundays our explore Switzerland day, as tourist style things are open. So we did some cave exploration, butterfly pavillion, playground on top of the Juras kind of stuff. So, my advice is until you have some local friends to hang out with on a Sunday, plan to do your exploration on that day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
internet access, neuchatel, play group, school




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New in Basel, New in the Forum - Hello All Miss Friis Introductions 24 14.04.2012 09:52
New in forum, not-so-new in Switzerland/Baden Pegaso Introductions 6 12.06.2011 20:50
New in the Forum, but not so new in Switzerland :) Nathinha Introductions 2 11.03.2010 01:07
Not new in Switzerland, just new in the Forum! MadAboutMosaic Introductions 3 25.04.2009 21:43
Not new in town; just new in English Forum Suzanne and Peter Introductions 3 28.10.2008 11:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0