Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2012, 18:46
Diego Knyte's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chur, Switzerland
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 56 Posts
Diego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeable
New to Switzerland from Seattle

Greetings fellow interwebbers,

I'm an American that just moved here to Chur from Seattle. German cit. wife took a job here where her family lives. Pretty nice town. Nice and quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of the big cities.

Found this site doing a Google search looking for info about out US TV and xbox requirements/adaptations here. Cool that this forum is here to chat with others in my native language (learning German tho to integrate).

Starting to find out all the fun it is to get registered in our town and open a bank account. *Hat tip to the US Government, or something*

To keep my intro short and sweet, I'll end it here for the time being.

Look forward to paroozing the EF threads and seeing what trouble I can avoid, or get into just to keep me on my toes.

Thanks and ttyl

-Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2012, 19:01
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Hiya Dave, welcome to the forum. Good luck with settling in, Chur was the first place I landed in, in Switzerland, it was a long time ago so I'm sure things have changed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.07.2012, 19:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kanton SG
Posts: 392
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Sliced has earned some respectSliced has earned some respect
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Wecome Dave, did you know they tell me Chur is the oldest town in Switzerland. I get there every once in awhile. I still think driving in Chur is a hassle for a small town. But my son and I enjoy it once in awhile by train and just walk around the inner city part. It's 30 mins by car so it's close. I also like the drive from Chur on the normal roads going toward San Bernardino.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.07.2012, 21:11
robbysue's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 20 Posts
robbysue has made some interesting contributions
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Hi Dave! I'm a fellow Seattle'ite too, living in Zurich. This country is fantastic, especially for those of us used to having the mountains around us. Chur is great!! And you're right, this forum is really helpful! Welcome to Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.07.2012, 16:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MightyMaggie has no particular reputation at present
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Welcome Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.07.2012, 21:21
Diego Knyte's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chur, Switzerland
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 56 Posts
Diego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeable
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Thanks guys,

Yup, the oldest. Trying to get registered with the town and getting a bank account. Weeeeeee.

"Heres some hoops to jump thru, oh yeah, r u a criminal? Prove it." May need to get my empty FBI File if my Washington state trooper report isn't enough. Not surprising, just didn't think of it during the scramble to get here.

Seeing there quite a few American epats here there is a way. This site has a load of info.

Cheers

-D
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2012, 23:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kanton SG
Posts: 392
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Sliced has earned some respectSliced has earned some respect
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Things have changed here alot. I just got a notice that at the end of the month no more credit card, since I'm American.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.07.2012, 00:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bundnerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
WaitingForYesterday has no particular reputation at present
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Things have changed here alot. I just got a notice that at the end of the month no more credit card, since I'm American.
What does this mean? No credit card because your american? A credit card is practically an americans birth certificate.. I have several US issued credit cards.. whats the deal? Did they cancel you when they learned you lived overseas? Or is this a card issued in CH? What does being american have to do with being cancelled..?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.09.2012, 15:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kanton SG
Posts: 392
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Sliced has earned some respectSliced has earned some respect
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
What does this mean? No credit card because your american? A credit card is practically an americans birth certificate.. I have several US issued credit cards.. whats the deal? Did they cancel you when they learned you lived overseas? Or is this a card issued in CH? What does being american have to do with being cancelled..?
Sorry for the late reply, was on vacation for a month and never looked back at this. No I have an American issured one its ok. the one here in Ch is what I meant. Seems they don't want the hassle of the U.S. citizen required forms and regulations.. funny I never ever made money on my cc, why would there be forms for taxes??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.09.2012, 16:54
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

The US Gubmint vs. US expats & Swiss banks topic is being extensively covered on several other EF threads.

As for Chur, however, there may be a few banks, but there also will be a little dinner get-together of EFers Friday September 7. See here. Would be nice to meet you guys there. The restaurant accepts cash too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 05.09.2012, 21:02
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,390
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,578 Times in 674 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Hi Dave!

I'm from Seattle and will be moving to Basel in a few months with my Canadian/Swiss husband.

I'd be interested to hear what you found out about the tv adaptations, as we recently bought a fairly nice one and would like to be able to bring it with us.

And of course any other little tidbits of "what can be useful to bring with us" would be helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.09.2012, 21:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nussbaumen
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 6 Posts
dekidex has no particular reputation at present
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

What up Dave!
Welcome my Friend!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06.09.2012, 00:49
Diego Knyte's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chur, Switzerland
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 56 Posts
Diego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeable
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Hi Dave!

I'm from Seattle and will be moving to Basel in a few months with my Canadian/Swiss husband.

I'd be interested to hear what you found out about the tv adaptations, as we recently bought a fairly nice one and would like to be able to bring it with us.

And of course any other little tidbits of "what can be useful to bring with us" would be helpful.
Cool! It's a beautiful place to live, but be prepared for some struggles (my wife and I's experience) but we're getting everything into place.

You ready for this? I finally got my native computer set up and I'm itching to type. And you're it! Apologies up if it seems overwhelming. Any move like this can be, but the rewards are worth it. Hopefully, if anything, you'll be a tad ahead by being able to check some stuff off. =)

BTW, what I'm typing here for you I'm considering creating a blog of sort from our experience getting set up here. Your mileage may vary since he is a dual-cit and one is Swiss.

OK,

We got lucky with the TV. LG 60" Plasma. Worked like a champ! Only cavet tho is with Cablecom, what I've investigated so far, is it will only do HDMI (No SCART connector on UT TV's) in 720P. The tuner box only outputs HDMI as 720P and 1080P. I need to investigate if the box will out 1080i. Oh well, it frigg'n works and no need to drop CHF for another.

From what I can gather is it a crap-shoot with TV's. If it's a US made, probably won't work. Since it is an overseas unit, may have been the saving grace. I even went so far as calling LG before we left to see if it would and they said no. We were gonna sell the thing but were being low-balled with $300 offers. Screw that, if it didn't it's be my man-cave xbox monitor.

Tips:

Electronic devices. There's such a wide range of what will and won't work. It's mind boggling and too much for me to know all the details, but I'll give my 2cents. You'll need to do homework like many of us did here.

Firstly: Check the voltages, devices that will work here generally will say 110/220 volts 50/60 Hertz.

With that said, some cheap electronic adapters for 220 to 110 may only work with electric razors and pretty simple devices. You CAN get better converters for MUST HAVE devices, like my 400 Disc DVD changer.

For laptop and desktop computers, most, if not all nowadays, will handle worldwide voltages. Just need an adapter or go to Media Markt and get a Swill plug/cable. No biggie.

For our xbox's, rather than using a bulky 220 to 110 adapter, we bought a power-brick off ebay for Europe. Not sure on the output signals, we use the VGA cable. Pretty much a standard worldwide signal for that today. I've used my xbox on a Swiss LG LCD via VGA here no probs.

Side note on Xbox. Update your Gold account for several years. There's tricks later due to region crap your Xbox Live account was generated in (US) and when you are trying to purchase stuff here that is region restricted. Hulu and Netflix, you'll need to set up a VPN to get those. That is a whole other thread here, I've seen it, but don't have the link handy. Search EF and you'll find it.

If your TV is tube or older Plasma or LCD, might as well sell it. Additionally, there are converter boxes available, for video signal conversion, etc. Better ones go for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a 42" goes for. Google is your friend.

More stuff.

Keep a US credit card! Have family/friend stateside as the address for that card. It's been helpful for us anyway.

If you plan to keep a US bank account to make existing payments for US Debt, get your local banks' routing and some acronym number. Just ask the front agent at your bank and they can give it to you.

Get your FBI report (10-print) done. It can take 3 months-ish. I got mine done in 2, and that was from in CH, I've head of 4 months as well. Since you are from Seattle, get a registered State trooper report (not the local one in your town, the one from Olympia) for good measure if you are out if time for the 10-print. If you are too late, submit it as soon as you get to CH. I was able to use the state trooper report as a TEMPORARY document for my B Permit here. BUT it's up to the people in that department if that'll fly or not. It's their turf and their laws so we need to bend to them.

Have your Drivers license up-to date. You'll need to submit it here for the Swiss one, don't want to send them an expired one. That and get a International DL. Got ours from a AAA office.

Have your tax records for the last 3-4 years. That much for good measure. Have your SS card in hand too.

Scan any diplomas, letters of recommendation, training certs, whatever for job hunting. They love PROOF of your degrees. Be prepared to have them translated into German from a certified translator for your job hunting resume thingee.

Marriage license, bring that. Birth Certificates, bring those. Major medical records, those too.

KEEP YOUR PASSPORTS ON HAND. While talking to the shippers for our container, she mentioned in conversation that one of they clients packed their passports in a box! OMG! What a hassle that would be.

There was so much stuff to get together it can be overwhelming. Switzerland is probably the toughest to get settled in from what I've read.

Does your husband have a US Green Card (which would give him a SSN)? My wife is German with a US GC. We couldn't get our own bank account without proving our residency. And without the account, she couldn't get paid. Luckily she has family here and for the 1st month they paid her dad. Since your hubby has dual citizenship it's probably a moot point.

If he doesn't, it MAY be easier if the account was in HIS name only for the time being. Just food for thought.

Oh yeah, if you can afford it, you can bring $10,000 cash (or as much as you legally can up-to there-ish) for expenditures until you get set up if need be.

Ok, Imma stop there. Just went back and looked at my blah blah. SHEESH that was a lot of typing. I really should blog this, or put something more formatted from my experience.

Enjoy and best of luck!

-Dave
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Diego Knyte for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 06.09.2012, 01:05
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,390
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,578 Times in 674 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

haha - thanks for the finger exercise, Dave!

Nice to know that your tv works - that's exactly what we have

We're lucky that my husband's company is handling a lot of the paperwork. Right now we're in the process of registering our marriage so that I'll be all legal-like to work once I get there.

We'll also have a massive CL ad with all sorts of toasters, waffle makers, vaccums for sale once we're ready to really get out of Dodge. I realize that there are few things that we have that can be used there

Technically, I'm not longer in Seattle (left in 2008) but am currently in New Jersey. I'd love to go back to Seattle, but I'm really looking forward to a new and exciting adventure.

Good call on scanning in documents, etc. I'll get working on that over the next few weeks as well.

FYI, my husband (Dan - yes, he does have a name) has a US Greencard as well. He'll be talking with the lawyer people on how best to use his vast array of identification

Thanks for your reply!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.09.2012, 01:50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 309
Groaned at 109 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 141 Times in 91 Posts
SwissPinoy is considered unworthySwissPinoy is considered unworthySwissPinoy is considered unworthy
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Things have changed here alot. I just got a notice that at the end of the month no more credit card, since I'm American.
Credit cards are being cancelled too? That's news to me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06.09.2012, 08:45
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,350
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,665 Times in 8,701 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Get your FBI report (10-print) done. It can take 3 months-ish.
Really? I didn't need one. Maybe I am less suspicious because Mr. Wishes is Swiss?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06.09.2012, 09:15
ToothCentral's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chur
Posts: 441
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 198 Times in 127 Posts
ToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeable
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Hi Dave!

I'm from Seattle and will be moving to Basel in a few months with my Canadian/Swiss husband.

I'd be interested to hear what you found out about the tv adaptations, as we recently bought a fairly nice one and would like to be able to bring it with us.

And of course any other little tidbits of "what can be useful to bring with us" would be helpful.
Choose your international shipping company Wisely... watch out for quotes of 6 thousand and not sending someone to do a survey and see count and measure what you have to ship and make a close approximation of volume. That way you'll know what more of what to get rid of. Beware of a company that says they will come and pack stuff up and put it on a truck and take it to their warehouse and "refine and repack" as you will not get to see the actual volume and when they hand you a bill for 16,000.00 dollars and you must pay before they ship it and you are in Switzerland, it's a hostage situation... just saying.... from experience, we packed up 5 July in Seattle and still waiting for our stuff... 16 thousand dollars poorer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ToothCentral for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 06.09.2012, 09:21
ToothCentral's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chur
Posts: 441
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 198 Times in 127 Posts
ToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeable
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Cool! It's a beautiful place to live, but be prepared for some struggles (my wife and I's experience) but we're getting everything into place.

You ready for this? I finally got my native computer set up and I'm itching to type. And you're it! Apologies up if it seems overwhelming. Any move like this can be, but the rewards are worth it. Hopefully, if anything, you'll be a tad ahead by being able to check some stuff off. =)

BTW, what I'm typing here for you I'm considering creating a blog of sort from our experience getting set up here. Your mileage may vary since he is a dual-cit and one is Swiss.

OK,

We got lucky with the TV. LG 60" Plasma. Worked like a champ! Only cavet tho is with Cablecom, what I've investigated so far, is it will only do HDMI (No SCART connector on UT TV's) in 720P. The tuner box only outputs HDMI as 720P and 1080P. I need to investigate if the box will out 1080i. Oh well, it frigg'n works and no need to drop CHF for another.

From what I can gather is it a crap-shoot with TV's. If it's a US made, probably won't work. Since it is an overseas unit, may have been the saving grace. I even went so far as calling LG before we left to see if it would and they said no. We were gonna sell the thing but were being low-balled with $300 offers. Screw that, if it didn't it's be my man-cave xbox monitor.

Tips:

Electronic devices. There's such a wide range of what will and won't work. It's mind boggling and too much for me to know all the details, but I'll give my 2cents. You'll need to do homework like many of us did here.

Firstly: Check the voltages, devices that will work here generally will say 110/220 volts 50/60 Hertz.

With that said, some cheap electronic adapters for 220 to 110 may only work with electric razors and pretty simple devices. You CAN get better converters for MUST HAVE devices, like my 400 Disc DVD changer.

For laptop and desktop computers, most, if not all nowadays, will handle worldwide voltages. Just need an adapter or go to Media Markt and get a Swill plug/cable. No biggie.

For our xbox's, rather than using a bulky 220 to 110 adapter, we bought a power-brick off ebay for Europe. Not sure on the output signals, we use the VGA cable. Pretty much a standard worldwide signal for that today. I've used my xbox on a Swiss LG LCD via VGA here no probs.

Side note on Xbox. Update your Gold account for several years. There's tricks later due to region crap your Xbox Live account was generated in (US) and when you are trying to purchase stuff here that is region restricted. Hulu and Netflix, you'll need to set up a VPN to get those. That is a whole other thread here, I've seen it, but don't have the link handy. Search EF and you'll find it.

If your TV is tube or older Plasma or LCD, might as well sell it. Additionally, there are converter boxes available, for video signal conversion, etc. Better ones go for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a 42" goes for. Google is your friend.

More stuff.

Keep a US credit card! Have family/friend stateside as the address for that card. It's been helpful for us anyway.

If you plan to keep a US bank account to make existing payments for US Debt, get your local banks' routing and some acronym number. Just ask the front agent at your bank and they can give it to you.

Get your FBI report (10-print) done. It can take 3 months-ish. I got mine done in 2, and that was from in CH, I've head of 4 months as well. Since you are from Seattle, get a registered State trooper report (not the local one in your town, the one from Olympia) for good measure if you are out if time for the 10-print. If you are too late, submit it as soon as you get to CH. I was able to use the state trooper report as a TEMPORARY document for my B Permit here. BUT it's up to the people in that department if that'll fly or not. It's their turf and their laws so we need to bend to them.

Have your Drivers license up-to date. You'll need to submit it here for the Swiss one, don't want to send them an expired one. That and get a International DL. Got ours from a AAA office.

Have your tax records for the last 3-4 years. That much for good measure. Have your SS card in hand too.

Scan any diplomas, letters of recommendation, training certs, whatever for job hunting. They love PROOF of your degrees. Be prepared to have them translated into German from a certified translator for your job hunting resume thingee.

Marriage license, bring that. Birth Certificates, bring those. Major medical records, those too.

KEEP YOUR PASSPORTS ON HAND. While talking to the shippers for our container, she mentioned in conversation that one of they clients packed their passports in a box! OMG! What a hassle that would be.

There was so much stuff to get together it can be overwhelming. Switzerland is probably the toughest to get settled in from what I've read.

Does your husband have a US Green Card (which would give him a SSN)? My wife is German with a US GC. We couldn't get our own bank account without proving our residency. And without the account, she couldn't get paid. Luckily she has family here and for the 1st month they paid her dad. Since your hubby has dual citizenship it's probably a moot point.

If he doesn't, it MAY be easier if the account was in HIS name only for the time being. Just food for thought.

Oh yeah, if you can afford it, you can bring $10,000 cash (or as much as you legally can up-to there-ish) for expenditures until you get set up if need be.

Ok, Imma stop there. Just went back and looked at my blah blah. SHEESH that was a lot of typing. I really should blog this, or put something more formatted from my experience.

Enjoy and best of luck!

-Dave
If you have something like a kitchenaid mixer, like the good 400 watt, you can buy before you come fairly cheap transformers (http://www.220-electronics.com/Trans...rans/prod.html). A 325 watt Kitchenaid was over 400 CHF at the Fust shop.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06.09.2012, 15:05
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,390
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,578 Times in 674 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Choose your international shipping company Wisely... watch out for quotes of 6 thousand and not sending someone to do a survey and see count and measure what you have to ship and make a close approximation of volume. That way you'll know what more of what to get rid of. Beware of a company that says they will come and pack stuff up and put it on a truck and take it to their warehouse and "refine and repack" as you will not get to see the actual volume and when they hand you a bill for 16,000.00 dollars and you must pay before they ship it and you are in Switzerland, it's a hostage situation... just saying.... from experience, we packed up 5 July in Seattle and still waiting for our stuff... 16 thousand dollars poorer.
Fortunately for us, my husband's company is taking care of the packing/moving/shipping, and I have full confidence that they'll do it right (based on our previous move with them at least).

Sounds like a nightmare though
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07.09.2012, 15:47
Diego Knyte's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chur, Switzerland
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 56 Posts
Diego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeableDiego Knyte is considered knowledgeable
Re: New to Switzerland from Seattle

Quote:
View Post
Choose your international shipping company Wisely... watch out for quotes of 6 thousand and not sending someone to do a survey and see count and measure what you have to ship and make a close approximation of volume. That way you'll know what more of what to get rid of. Beware of a company that says they will come and pack stuff up and put it on a truck and take it to their warehouse and "refine and repack" as you will not get to see the actual volume and when they hand you a bill for 16,000.00 dollars and you must pay before they ship it and you are in Switzerland, it's a hostage situation... just saying.... from experience, we packed up 5 July in Seattle and still waiting for our stuff... 16 thousand dollars poorer.
Additionally on shipping...

Make sure they will unload the truck at your residence into your flat. Heard of some what would just drop it off at the landing. DOH, that would suck.

We used Crown Relocation Services at www.crownrelo.com

They packed it at our house in Seattle and unpacked here in switzerland. They even took the empty boxes and packing paper with them, saved some trips to recycling for us here.

Also, a lot of food flavors are a bit different here. Bring some US comfort food with you (non-perishables). We brought a case of Kraft Mac and cheeze, Oreo's and some cereals. We bought some Oreo branded cookies here, tasted different. Even Froot Loops here taste different even though they are same branded. There is American Market CH (http://www.americanmarket.ch/) but it's pricey as to be expected.

BTW, they will not ship (nor any shipping company) any flammables. No paints, butane, propane, WD 40 and crap like that.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Seattle to Lugano phdoofus Introductions 11 20.07.2012 07:57
Favorite weekend and day trips from Geneva: New to Switzerland, New to EF SwissMissSam Travel/day trips/free time 4 17.10.2009 22:56
Relocated from Seattle to Basel krisked Business & entrepreneur 10 19.05.2008 20:36
Moving from Seattle to Zürich in April '08 Mister Anderson Introductions 5 31.08.2007 18:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0