Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.08.2012, 22:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QNeX has no particular reputation at present
Hello and Good bye ;-)

Hi! I've been lurking englishforum.ch from time to time, but never introduced myself. I've been here (in Zurich) almost four years, working at Google, and in 2 weeks I will be moving to US.

This is all happening very quickly. I am already "unmelded" with future date, selling all items, and well, looking for someone to take over our apartment.

Fun eh?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.08.2012, 22:35
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Hi! I've been lurking englishforum.ch from time to time, but never introduced myself. I've been here (in Zurich) almost four years, working at Google, and in 2 weeks I will be moving to US.

This is all happening very quickly. I am already "unmelded" with future date, selling all items, and well, looking for someone to take over our apartment.

Fun eh?
" ...... and after 4yrs. need to find a free and convenient site to sell my stuff, where I don't need to worry about language - I'd better get posting"

Just google it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.08.2012, 22:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QNeX has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
" ...... and after 4yrs. need to find a free and convenient site to sell my stuff, where I don't need to worry about language - I'd better get posting"

Just google it.
Hmm, stuff is sold already, so too late for that. :-) Ricardo.ch would be my second choice anyway (and my German is not that terrible ;b)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.08.2012, 23:00
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Thank you for your overwhelming contributions to the forum
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.08.2012, 23:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dielsdorf
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts
HappyDazed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
" ...... and after 4yrs. need to find a free and convenient site to sell my stuff, where I don't need to worry about language - I'd better get posting"

Just google it.
I have some sympathy for this guy. I have been here 15 months and have been looking at this forum most days. I do not know enough about this place to be able to contribute any help to people posting on here. Everytime I have thought of asking a question to get some help for my own problems here I have done what people on this forum have told every other poster - I used the search function. Question answered and problem solved.

But

It does really shut down the whole avenue of getting current help for current problems as a way of starting off some social interaction and introduction.

So for me the forum is an archive of information about living here but not a current way of meeting english speaking people in Switzerland. It is no surprise to me that someone could get all the information they need from the forum over the years without the need to write anything themselves.

I have seen the sort of response to peoples requests for help like the quote above many times. It always made me feeel that the forum was an unfriendly place.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank HappyDazed for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 19.08.2012, 23:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QNeX has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
It does really shut down the whole avenue of getting current help for current problems as a way of starting off some social interaction and introduction.

So for me the forum is an archive of information about living here but not a current way of meeting english speaking people in Switzerland. It is no surprise to me that someone could get all the information they need from the forum over the years without the need to write anything themselves.

I have seen the sort of response to peoples requests for help like the quote above many times. It always made me feeel that the forum was an unfriendly place.
Well, I certainly regret writing to Introductions. ;-) Felt proper to start by posting here, but the warmth of the welcome surprised me a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.08.2012, 00:10
coconut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurichberg
Posts: 738
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,000 Times in 405 Posts
coconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

It is after all a public free forum and you'll get all kind of responses, keep the good ones, ignore the bully ones (if you feel them that way).

I've learned in life that you can never control the way others treat you, but the way you are affected by it.

Welcome to the forum, I appreciate you taking the time to say hi and goodbye, I wish you the best on your new adventure

Kali
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank coconut for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.08.2012, 00:29
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
I have some sympathy for this guy. I have been here 15 months and have been looking at this forum most days. I do not know enough about this place to be able to contribute any help to people posting on here. Everytime I have thought of asking a question to get some help for my own problems here I have done what people on this forum have told every other poster - I used the search function. Question answered and problem solved.

But

It does really shut down the whole avenue of getting current help for current problems as a way of starting off some social interaction and introduction.

So for me the forum is an archive of information about living here but not a current way of meeting english speaking people in Switzerland. It is no surprise to me that someone could get all the information they need from the forum over the years without the need to write anything themselves.

I have seen the sort of response to peoples requests for help like the quote above many times. It always made me feeel that the forum was an unfriendly place.
Quote:
View Post
Well, I certainly regret writing to Introductions. ;-) Felt proper to start by posting here, but the warmth of the welcome surprised me a bit.
I think it's a case of not taking any of it too seriously - it's just a bunch of ordinary Joe's hiding behind funny names and imposed titles (that are only attained by those with too much time on their hands).

It's all a bit like clay pigeon shooting, for me.

Do what I do ..... just write crap, with the occasional relevant point, that is probably missed anyway 'cos people know that I usually just write crap.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.08.2012, 00:41
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,549
Groaned at 76 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,156 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
...people know that I usually just write crap.
Total rubbish.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.08.2012, 00:55
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
I think it's a case of not taking any of it too seriously - it's just a bunch of ordinary Joe's hiding behind funny names and imposed titles (that are only attained by those with too much time on their hands).

It's all a bit like clay pigeon shooting, for me.

Do what I do ..... just write crap, with the occasional relevant point, that is probably missed anyway 'cos people know that I usually just write crap.
Well I have met a lot of great people from this forum. So I write, with it in mind, that I might meet anyone I am talking to in discussions or arguements here. There are some people that are totally jaded, and I never see them making appearances at either EF events, or EF suggested places. And then that makes sense.

I don't feel the forum as a whole is un friendly, but recently I do feel there are some overly agressive people on here, not interested in contributing, but rather in degrading; and that is too bad.

I am glad you found it of use. I have, I would be so more in the dark about this little land if it wasn't for the founder of this site. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.08.2012, 01:01
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Well I have met a lot of great people from this forum. So I write, with it in mind, that I might meet anyone I am talking to in discussions or arguements here. There are some people that are totally jaded, and I never see them making appearances at either EF events, or EF suggested places. And then that makes sense.

I don't feel the forum as a whole is un friendly, but recently I do feel there are some overly agressive people on here, not interested in contributing, but rather in degrading; and that is too bad.

I am glad you found it of use. I have, I would be so more in the dark about this little land if it wasn't for the founder of this site. Thanks!!!
Not all of us live in or near Zurich.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.08.2012, 01:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gone!
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
jd3241 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your overwhelming contributions to the forum
indeed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.08.2012, 01:04
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Not all of us live in or near Zurich.
Well it makes sense to me that they act this way as they have no intent to go face to face with anyone to stand up to their talk. I didn't say they were all in Zurich? Did I need to? I have met Ef'ers as far as Geneva.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.08.2012, 01:05
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello and Good bye ;-)

Quote:
View Post
Well it makes sense to me that they act this way as they have no intent to go face to face with anyone to stand up to their talk. I didn't say they were all in Zurich? Did I need to? I have met Ef'ers as far as Geneva.
I've gone face to face - it's just that not everyone concerned, realised.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good bye before hello and THANK YOU annieme Leaving Switzerland 12 04.07.2012 23:10
Good Bye Switzerland : Hello Scotland allegra_:) Introductions 31 20.11.2010 19:04
Bye bye taxed at the source, hello complications Russkov Finance/banking/taxation 4 26.02.2010 13:07
Hello and Good Bye malika Introductions 1 01.04.2009 17:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0