Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.12.2012, 09:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Baden
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cartoonwally has no particular reputation at present
New Aussie to Baden

Hi everyone! Just a quick introduction.

My name is Matt and i'm a 24 year old Australian. Have just moved here at the start of the week, and am here until the start of April for work.

This is my first time abroad, so there are a lot of new experiences for me everyday. Unfortunately i can't speak german, though i am trying to pick up bits and pieces on the way.

Would be great to meet up with some people, i'm more than happy to travel to Zurich or Basel or wherever really. Or if you'd like to come see me in Baden then that is awesome as well! I love sport, going out and socialising, music etc...

Cheers,
Matt
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cartoonwally for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 12.12.2012, 09:52
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 500
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Welcome Cartoonwally, you'll certainly have some fun in Die Schweiz. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.12.2012, 09:58
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Welcome to Ef and to Baden Matt!

The Pickwick pub in Baden is a good place to meet English speaking people. Good luck, and keep learning that German!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.12.2012, 10:18
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,266
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,747 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Quote:
View Post
Welcome Cartoonwally, you'll certainly have some fun in Die Schweiz. Best of luck.
I wanted to say 'Hi' :)

I hope you don't mind me correcting you but it's "in der Schweiz" (note that it's also a small d in der)


Welcome to the OP.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 12.12.2012, 10:24
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 500
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Try the Zuerich Intruders Flag 'American' Football team, great social bunch, we get together for the odd game of Grid Iron also . Also the Zuerich outdoor nuts is a good one for hiking and seeing der Schweiz.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1508...ref=ts&fref=ts (nuts)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zaitfl/?ref=ts&fref=ts (footy)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.12.2012, 10:59
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Quote:
View Post
Try the Zuerich Intruders Flag 'American' Football team, great social bunch, we get together for the odd game of Grid Iron also . Also the Zuerich outdoor nuts is a good one for hiking and seeing der Schweiz.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1508...ref=ts&fref=ts (nuts)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zaitfl/?ref=ts&fref=ts (footy)
Sorry, hate to be pedantic, but in this case it is die Schweiz.

Anyway, good advice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 12.12.2012, 11:03
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 500
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, hate to be pedantic, but in this case it is die Schweiz.

Anyway, good advice.
Pedantic? I'd say your bored.
Is dat bekuz is uzed in a plooral contekt?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.12.2012, 13:27
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

No, it's because Schweiz is feminine, but previously you used it in the dative case (in der Schweiz). I think. Help someone?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:15
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: New Aussie to Baden

also join the aussie/kiwi facebook page.

Just do a search for "Aussies and Kiwis in switzerland" and you should find the group.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.12.2012, 20:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,504
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,882 Times in 3,674 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone! Just a quick introduction.

My name is Matt and i'm a 24 year old Australian. Have just moved here at the start of the week, and am here until the start of April for work.

This is my first time abroad, so there are a lot of new experiences for me everyday. Unfortunately i can't speak german, though i am trying to pick up bits and pieces on the way.

Would be great to meet up with some people, i'm more than happy to travel to Zurich or Basel or wherever really. Or if you'd like to come see me in Baden then that is awesome as well! I love sport, going out and socialising, music etc...

Cheers,
Matt
Welcome to the forum and Baden. Since you are only here to April, I wouldn't spend too much time learning the language. Just smile a lot.
You will hear plenty of English spoken in Baden and if you get stuck, more often than not, someone nearby will be happy to jump in and help.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 15.12.2012, 15:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Baden
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cartoonwally has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Aussie to Baden

I will be at pickwicks at some stage tonight, if anyone is going to be around.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.12.2012, 15:59
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Aussie to Baden

Quote:
View Post
Welcome Cartoonwally, you'll certainly have some fun in Die Schweiz. Best of luck.
Quote:
View Post
I wanted to say 'Hi' :)

I hope you don't mind me correcting you but it's "in der Schweiz" (note that it's also a small d in der)


Welcome to the OP.
Quote:
View Post
Sorry, hate to be pedantic, but in this case it is die Schweiz.

Anyway, good advice.
Quote:
View Post
No, it's because Schweiz is feminine, but previously you used it in the dative case (in der Schweiz). I think. Help someone?
Welcome to the EF and have a good start

One from me: you got it all wrong - it's definitely Switzerland not Swiss. In der Schweiz not in die Schweiz because of former in Dativ - small town folks complex
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Aussie to Switzerland Darmo Introductions 13 07.09.2010 09:55
Aussie new to Bern CLS Introductions 12 06.03.2009 23:34
Aussie new to Bern australian nicola123 Introductions 7 22.01.2009 15:19
Aussie new to Zurich AntX Introductions 4 02.01.2009 00:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0