Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Considering Move to Switzerland

Hi Folks,

I have recently been offered a position in Geneva working in the same industry I work here in Dublin in.

Its not a highly paid profession by any means but it is my passion and the wages on offer, 60,000 per year, almost double my wage here in Ireland.

The question I have is what type of lifestyle can I reasonably expect on this wage living in or around Geneva?

If anyone can give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously its a beautiful part of the world but I just worry that despite the salary increase, with the cost of living, I could be worse off than I currently am.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:33
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Are you single? Any dependants?

You should be fine. You wont be partying/eating out everynight but you should be comfortable. . .

What kind of life style do you want to maintain?
(i think thats the best way to answer your Q )
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Are you single? Any dependants?

You should be fine. You wont be partying/eating out everynight but you should be comfortable. . .

What kind of life style do you want to maintain?
(i think thats the best way to answer your Q )
Thanks Niamhie for your reply. I am certainly not looking to live a party lifestyle for sure. I have a partner but we would hope she would be able to find work (Teacher). I would like to be confortable and perhaps able to put away some money as savings also. We have no dependents.

The prospective employer is suggesting living in France and commuting. That obviously means running a car. Parking will be free. I believe the employer will take care of health insurance.

I guess the main thing is will I be better off living in Geneva on this salary in comparison to living in Dublin on half that salary!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi Folks,

Its not a highly paid profession by any means but it is my passion and the wages on offer, 60,000 per year, almost double my wage here in Ireland.
.
73284CHF is very little for Switzerland, especially Geneva.
Plus your spouse would have little chance of finding work easily.

Plus it seems that your main motivation is the "apparently" higher salary.

You'll be fooled by a high number and quickly realize how much you'll have to pay for everything.

Advice?
Probably not a good move at all.
Enjoy your life in Dublin and don't be tempted by the sirens of a "apparently" higher salary.

I'd enjoy your life in Dublin.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:54
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

75,000 is a manageable salary. . .

You can live here on that amount although CorsebouTheReturn its not a great salary.

Your partner will most likely be a dependant as finding work here can be extremly difficult. If you search through the forum you will see some people are literally searching for years.

I think you would have to have good reason to move here... if it is just salary then this isnt so good as the salary isnt great. If it is to live in Switzerland then you can make it work.

Living in France really does help but you should put in alot of research before moving here.

Health Care is mandatory and can be quite pricey. I would make sure the employeer is giving your proper health care and not just the one for accidents & emergencies.
__________________
To Alcohol! Because no good story started with somebody eating a salad!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.12.2013, 12:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
73284CHF is very little for Switzerland, especially Geneva.
Plus your spouse would have little chance of finding work easily.

Plus it seems that your main motivation is the "apparently" higher salary.

You'll be fooled by a high number and quickly realize how much you'll have to pay for everything.

Advice?
Probably not a good move at all.
Enjoy your life in Dublin and don't be tempted by the sirens of a "apparently" higher salary.

I'd enjoy your life in Dublin.

Thanks for the honest answer. I really only started giving serious consideration to the role recently and having researched the cost of living I was shocked.

The main reason for considering in the first place was the apparnent financial benefit but if this is nullified by the cost of living then its a no go really.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:04
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
75,000 is a manageable salary. . .

You can live here on that amount although CorsebouTheReturn its not a great salary.

Your partner will most likely be a dependant as finding work here can be extremly difficult. If you search through the forum you will see some people are literally searching for years.

I think you would have to have good reason to move here... if it is just salary then this isnt so good as the salary isnt great. If it is to live in Switzerland then you can make it work.

Living in France really does help but you should put in alot of research before moving here.

Health Care is mandatory and can be quite pricey. I would make sure the employeer is giving your proper health care and not just the one for accidents & emergencies.

Thanks Niamhie, by the sounds of it its a non starter. My partner would have to find work, not just for finances but for her own peace of mind she needs to be working.

I think we will have a better lifestyle here in Ireland despite the smaller salary.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vilters-Wangs
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Sailfree has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Hi there Dublin,
I would say to you stay in Ireland. The cost of living in Geneva will
crucify you.
Accommodation is very high and not easy to find. Health insurance
you must have yourself and its not cheap for 2 people a couple its around 700 CHF per month, well that's what we pay and there is an excess.
You must register for a Residence permit that will cost you and you must re-register your car if you have one within one year, more cash as its got to have a very strict MOT prior to the change.
You must change your driving licence within 1yr of being here, that will cost you a cool 60 or 80 bucks. They are for life though which is handy.
Doctors fees are the most shocking, they charge by the minute! I am still in shock at that, the one I went to 8.30Francs per minute. You might get one a bit cheaper around 7.50 per minute.
A beautiful country Switzerland wow. Picture perfect.
We moved here from Germany last year and the cost of removals well forget it, you need a mortgage to pay that one.
If you buy off the internet at all, please remember that you are liable for duty on items you buy. Oh yes I have been caught out on that one.
We are earning far in excess of 150K per year and running 2 cars its not fun. Going out forget it, the shopping will wipe out your bank acc in quick time.
A loaf of bread will cost you 4 and that's sterling. Not joking you.
2.5k of potatoes not far off the 4 marker either. So good luck with your decision.
To live here you need serious cash. This is Switzerland and forget about posting anything that will knock your socks off.
Best wishes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:16
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,568
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,552 Times in 1,799 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

The others have mostly answered the question, it's livable for two people on 75k but you'd be on the low end of everything. Small, old flat in a tower block in Geneva will cost probably 2.5k per month plus bills. Medical is next at around 350 per person per month. Plus do read about medical franchise!

Burger and chips for lunch, with a coke, 20chf.. Dinner for two (one course) with a bottle of cheap wine, 100chf minimum. Weekly shop is what you make it.. Wine is cheap though

I think some agents have rules about renting places too, something like you can't spend more that a quarter or third of net monthly salary on rent. So 75k would only be around 5.6k per month?

If you can do the sums and live with the budget..Maybe.. But I'd only go for it if the job is really important, great experience or leading to something..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi there Dublin,
I would say to you stay in Ireland. The cost of living in Geneva will
crucify you.
Accommodation is very high and not easy to find. Health insurance
you must have yourself and its not cheap for 2 people a couple its around 700 CHF per month, well that's what we pay and there is an excess.
You must register for a Residence permit that will cost you and you must re-register your car if you have one within one year, more cash as its got to have a very strict MOT prior to the change.
You must change your driving licence within 1yr of being here, that will cost you a cool 60 or 80 bucks. They are for life though which is handy.
Doctors fees are the most shocking, they charge by the minute! I am still in shock at that, the one I went to 8.30Francs per minute. You might get one a bit cheaper around 7.50 per minute.
A beautiful country Switzerland wow. Picture perfect.
We moved here from Germany last year and the cost of removals well forget it, you need a mortgage to pay that one.
If you buy off the internet at all, please remember that you are liable for duty on items you buy. Oh yes I have been caught out on that one.
We are earning far in excess of 150K per year and running 2 cars its not fun. Going out forget it, the shopping will wipe out your bank acc in quick time.
A loaf of bread will cost you 4 and that's sterling. Not joking you.
2.5k of potatoes not far off the 4 marker either. So good luck with your decision.
To live here you need serious cash. This is Switzerland and forget about posting anything that will knock your socks off.
Best wishes.
Wow. I am convinced. Dublin it is for now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:27
grey1234's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton GR
Posts: 184
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 57 Posts
grey1234 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A loaf of bread will cost you 4 and that's sterling. Not joking you.
2.5k of potatoes not far off the 4 marker either. .
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say but this is just wrong. We get local fresh made good loafs for 1.15chf (80p)
Potatoes while more expensive than the UK still do not hit the 4 mark

Yes food here is more expensive than the UK (shockingly so sometimes) but the UK is all about price not quality, where as here it's hard to get poor quality foods.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedestal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Thanks everyone for your replies. Its a no brainer to stay in Ireland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pedestal for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:31
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Doctors fees are the most shocking, they charge by the minute! I am still in shock at that, the one I went to 8.30Francs per minute. You might get one a bit cheaper around 7.50 per minute.

A loaf of bread will cost you 4 and that's sterling. Not joking you.
2.5k of potatoes not far off the 4 marker either. So good luck with your decision.
You can get a Co-Op brand bread which is quite nice for well under that price. And a cheaper doctor in France.

The rest though.... yep! Adds up pretty quickly thats for sure!

Quote:
View Post
The others have mostly answered the question, it's livable for two people on 75k but you'd be on the low end of everything. Small, old flat in a tower block in Geneva will cost probably 2.5k per month plus bills. Medical is next at around 350 per person per month. Plus do read about medical franchise!

Burger and chips for lunch, with a coke, 20chf.. Dinner for two (one course) with a bottle of cheap wine, 100chf minimum. Weekly shop is what you make it.. Wine is cheap though

I think some agents have rules about renting places too, something like you can't spend more that a quarter or third of net monthly salary on rent. So 75k would only be around 5.6k per month?

If you can do the sums and live with the budget..Maybe.. But I'd only go for it if the job is really important, great experience or leading to something..
I agree completly! We went for an indian the other night. Two half bottles of the house white wine (didnt look at the price) set us back 32 Chf per bottle! WTF!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vilters-Wangs
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Sailfree has no particular reputation at present
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Hi it is the coop bread I was talking about, our local charges 5.40 a loaf and to me in terms of sterling that's over 4
Still not here to whinge, it is what it is. I do wish to find a local farmer
or such like to buy decent spuds not just the shop ones that cost heavily.
My Dr.is expensive and no way I can get to France so I stay the hell away from him and will not be going anywhere near him unless I am on deaths door.
Good luck with your decision, its the right one.
We are buying in S.Ireland on the coast next year so looking forward to that.
Won't be moving there permanently for a few years though.
Enjoy Dublin.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:08
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi it is the coop bread I was talking about, our local charges 5.40 a loaf and to me in terms of sterling that's over 4
Still not here to whinge, it is what it is. I do wish to find a local farmer
or such like to buy decent spuds not just the shop ones that cost heavily.
My Dr.is expensive and no way I can get to France so I stay the hell away from him and will not be going anywhere near him unless I am on deaths door.
Good luck with your decision, its the right one.
We are buying in S.Ireland on the coast next year so looking forward to that.
Won't be moving there permanently for a few years though.
Enjoy Dublin.
Where abouts? Im from the west... so much nicer than Dublin

South Ireland is really nice.. and a tiny bit warmer than the rest lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:52
Gordon Comstock's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 374
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 611 Times in 252 Posts
Gordon Comstock has an excellent reputationGordon Comstock has an excellent reputationGordon Comstock has an excellent reputationGordon Comstock has an excellent reputation
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The others have mostly answered the question, it's livable for two people on 75k but you'd be on the low end of everything. Small, old flat in a tower block in Geneva will cost probably 2.5k per month plus bills. Medical is next at around 350 per person per month. Plus do read about medical franchise!

Burger and chips for lunch, with a coke, 20chf.. Dinner for two (one course) with a bottle of cheap wine, 100chf minimum. Weekly shop is what you make it.. Wine is cheap though

I think some agents have rules about renting places too, something like you can't spend more that a quarter or third of net monthly salary on rent. So 75k would only be around 5.6k per month?

If you can do the sums and live with the budget..Maybe.. But I'd only go for it if the job is really important, great experience or leading to something..
And on top of that, they will insist on speaking some foreign language.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.12.2013, 15:25
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 538
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 740 Times in 298 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Move to Switzerland

The tongue-in-cheek language point is a good one. Even if you find work that is 100% in English, speaking the local language gives you more flexibility if the first job falls through and makes daily life much easier.

Teaching: highly protected unless in the private sector, and even that's changing now. I've heard (anecdotal evidence - the best kind ) that teachers whose qualifications are from Switzerland but from another canton have to jump through all sorts of administrative hoops to teach in the public sector in the canton of Geneva.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hairybadger for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texan considering a move to Switzerland Texfinn Introductions 5 14.11.2011 00:50
Considering move to Switzerland. Need some questions answered. CoreyRS Business & entrepreneur 13 24.10.2011 09:46
EU resident considering move to Switzerland Mark25 Permits/visas/government 7 15.03.2011 11:03
Considering a move to Switzerland Mrs B Introductions 6 08.04.2008 22:17
Introduction - considering a move to Switzerland Chococat Introductions 4 30.08.2007 19:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0