Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.12.2015, 02:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
New (and bored) in Basel

Hello everyone!

This is my third month after moving in Basel to do my PhD (28, m). Most of my weekends have been non-exciting so far and it seems that anything here costs a fortune compared to Germany where I used to live the year before.

I will start soon a German course to enhance my German but I would like to know about other social activities that are free or affordable to do around the area. I am open to all kinds of social activities so feel free to suggest whatever you can call (best would be to recommend dating-related activities ).

I am also open if someone would like to have a walk or a drink. Feel free to message me.

Cheer!
Homo sapiens
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.12.2015, 02:30
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,179
Groaned at 275 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 17,493 Times in 7,398 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

get used to it!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 24.12.2015, 02:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

A pessimistic welcome from the club president
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.12.2015, 09:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,612 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Welcome- move to Zurich.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SOBEIT for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.12.2015, 09:46
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

For dating, use Tinder ( or Grindr ! ) I've friends using both, they meet plenty of people.

Also go to Meetups/Facebook and sniff around for Basel.
Basel has a massive English speaking community due to the Pharma companies.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fish Paste for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.12.2015, 10:26
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,041
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 623 Times in 353 Posts
BaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeable
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

hi,

I have lived in Basel for 26 years and I can honestly say I have never been bored. I work in Zurich but I am always happy to get back home to Basel, I would suggest that if you are on Facebook join Basel Flouncers, Basel Folk also look on Meetup.com for social groups in Basel. Also join GLocals and Internations and you will find even more social activities. If you are interested in the theatre then there are many different theatre groups such as the Basel Panto group, the semi circle etc.

Before I moved to Basel I lived in the UK and there is a lot more going on here than there was in the UK and what is even better is you do not require a car.

Have fun

Martin
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BaselLife for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.12.2015, 11:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Welcome- move to Zurich.
I would love to move to Zurich but can't afford it currently, in addition to the commuting cost. So, I will stick to Basel at the moment but thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.12.2015, 11:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
For dating, use Tinder ( or Grindr ! ) I've friends using both, they meet plenty of people.

Also go to Meetups/Facebook and sniff around for Basel.
Basel has a massive English speaking community due to the Pharma companies.
Thanks for the advice. I am using Tinder, Badoo, and Lovoo .... no luck so far
Also, meetup is quiet dead here
I am actually a pharmacist but I am working at Uni so don't get to meet so many people who are based in Basel.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
hi,

I have lived in Basel for 26 years and I can honestly say I have never been bored. I work in Zurich but I am always happy to get back home to Basel, I would suggest that if you are on Facebook join Basel Flouncers, Basel Folk also look on Meetup.com for social groups in Basel. Also join GLocals and Internations and you will find even more social activities. If you are interested in the theatre then there are many different theatre groups such as the Basel Panto group, the semi circle etc.

Before I moved to Basel I lived in the UK and there is a lot more going on here than there was in the UK and what is even better is you do not require a car.

Have fun

Martin
Thanks Martin for the tips I will check the groups/websites you recommended. I hope they can come with something useful.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:01
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,169
Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

On Facebook: Basel Flouncers for real life events and Basel Folk to chat and get to know people/Basel.

Many people will be away over Christmas and the NY but if you post something here with a definite plan (such as: "Let's go for a drink at 8pm on Saturday - who's up for it?") you should get responses.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
On Facebook: Basel Flouncers for real life events and Basel Folk to chat and get to know people/Basel.

Many people will be away over Christmas and the NY but if you post something here with a definite plan (such as: "Let's go for a drink at 8pm on Saturday - who's up for it?") you should get responses.
Thanks Adrian. I believe I am a member now
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:16
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,041
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 623 Times in 353 Posts
BaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeable
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

hi,

17 years ago I met my wife in Basel and we have married for 16 years. It is definitely a matter of taste and there is a lot rivalry between Basel and Zurich but I definitely prefer Basel to Zurich.

I know a lot of people who have lived in Basel and then moved away and missed it.

Have fun
Martin
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BaselLife for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:54
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,169
Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Basel and Zurich both have their advantages and disadvantages and I believe those who first arrive in Switzerland to live in one, will forever prefer it to the other.

Unless you like sunshine and don't like fog. In which case Zurich is shit.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.12.2015, 12:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Basel and Zurich both have their advantages and disadvantages and I believe those who first arrive in Switzerland to live in one, will forever prefer it to the other.

Unless you like sunshine and don't like fog. In which case Zurich is shit.
Indeed I think Zurich compensates for the lack of sunshine with money shine!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HomoSapiens for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.12.2015, 13:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,231
Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,057 Times in 686 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

After many, many years on this planet I can honestly say I have never been bored. This is probably because I don't rely on others to entertain me. There is nothing, anywhere, that isn't interesting. I live in a town of 18,000 people, if you go to the town hall and get the town's information sheet we have 48 different clubs, groups and hobbyists. Basel can almost certainly do better. There can be no excuse, it's up to you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.12.2015, 13:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
After many, many years on this planet I can honestly say I have never been bored. This is probably because I don't rely on others to entertain me. There is nothing, anywhere, that isn't interesting. I live in a town of 18,000 people, if you go to the town hall and get the town's information sheet we have 48 different clubs, groups and hobbyists. Basel can almost certainly do better. There can be no excuse, it's up to you.
"After many, many years on this planet" .....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.12.2015, 13:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,370
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,015 Times in 601 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I am actually a pharmacist but I am working at Uni so don't get to meet so many people who are based in Basel.
I got the opposite impression, I find that most people at uni is based in basel, and there are always aperos going on and stuff, but I guess it depends on the department/group.

Most common cheap social activity is drinking beer I believe. Students go to skubar which is managed by the student association so very cheap.
Is there a PhD club in you department maybe? or maybe you can join some other association.

Last edited by Meerkat33; 24.12.2015 at 14:01.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24.12.2015, 13:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I got the opposite impression, I find that most people at uni is based in basel, and there are always aperos going on and stuff, but I guess it depends on the department/group.
Most common cheap social activity is drinking beer I believe.
Indeed. Only 10% of those working in my department are in Basel
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.12.2015, 21:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 71
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
HomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisanceHomoSapiens is considered a nuisance
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I got the opposite impression, I find that most people at uni is based in basel, and there are always aperos going on and stuff, but I guess it depends on the department/group.

Most common cheap social activity is drinking beer I believe. Students go to skubar which is managed by the student association so very cheap.
Is there a PhD club in you department maybe? or maybe you can join some other association.
My department isn't that big and I think I am the youngest in it, so nothing really useful there in this part.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25.12.2015, 14:00
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,991
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New (and bored) in Basel

Quote:
View Post
My department isn't that big and I think I am the youngest in it, so nothing really useful there in this part.
Let me just assure you that people older than you are fun and interesting too. But you'll probably only realize that when you are older.

Anyway, you've only been here a little while. With all the advice you've received soon you'll complain you have too much to do!

I don't have a dog in this fight as I live in the better part of the country, but... Basel is far nice than Zurich.


HAppy Christmas!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
basel, dating, meet up, new arrival, researcher




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Basel and bored ShaneFromCroydon Daily life 21 04.12.2014 11:29
New in Olten and a little bored... adidax Daily life 2 26.11.2014 21:37
New (and a bit bored) in Zurich! ChiaraMc Introductions 3 26.11.2014 21:29
Teenagers new to Basel - bored! Julie Atherton Family matters/health 8 15.09.2010 12:39
New to Zurich and bored Rishi Introductions 5 12.09.2010 17:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0