Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.06.2017, 16:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Belgian has made some interesting contributions
Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

No, just kidding.

This is my first post on the forum and I would like to thank you all for your endless patience with people with such questions. I have read through all the threads I could find and have now got a pretty good grasp of what to expect financially, but also in terms of quality of life.

I am now confident that I am ready to move to Switzerland with my family from the UK.

Reading through the many posts one thing keeps jumping out at me. There are some people on this forum with the most amazing sense of humour, especially in response to lazy, uninformed questions. But you still take the time to reply!

Our peculiarities as a family are that we have three big (well educated) dogs and two cars. We want to live out in the countryside to have a house with a garden and we are willing to commute to find it within our budget. We are lucky our dogs don't bark, but the fact I will likely have to get a dog licence and pay dog tax is a nice wake up call to prepare us mentally that we will have to deal with all the rules and regulations.

Another thing that is hard to judge online is climate. I will be based around Biel/Bienne and I am anticipating relatively warm, sunny summers and snowy winters.

This brings me to a final peculiarity of ours: barbecues... we grill our food outside nearly twice a week, even when it is snowing. I know, it is weird... but I love the taste. Now, yes, meat/fish is very expensive... so will likely curb my enthusiasm. But, are there any restrictions on barbecuing? I am aware of the noise limitations on Sunday for example, but is this something that will annoy the neighbours?
Reply With Quote
The following 22 users would like to thank Belgian for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 20.06.2017, 16:58
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

120k is sufficient.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 20.06.2017, 16:58
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,390
Groaned at 349 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 12,418 Times in 5,965 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
I will likely have to get a dog licence and pay dog tax is a nice wake up call to prepare us mentally that we will have to deal with all the rules and regulations.

?
You don´t pay dog tax in Belgium and the UK?


I do think your questions were already answered on this forum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:00
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
But, are there any restrictions on barbecuing?
Some renting contracts specify that you are not allowed to use coal grills on the balconies of apartment buildings, though I have never had to face such a clause.

Other than that, as long as you don't do noise, you can grill 24/7, though, I warn you, some places (like where I live) stop selling coal after the "proper grilling saison" is over.

We just stock up in October, and grill during winter. We are known in the neighbourhood for the crazy people grilling in deep winter.

Quote:
Another thing that is hard to judge online is climate. I will be based around Biel/Bienne and I am anticipating relatively warm, sunny summers and snowy winters.
Depends on the year. Sometimes we get snow in May. Sometimes summer lasts 1 week. Sometimes it's infernal heat that never ends, and depressing long winters that only snow sport aficionados could really love. You also have the wonderful thing called the "Föhn", which is a fantastic wind from the mountains that causes the biggest headaches I've ever had.

No, I am not a fan of Central European weather, why do you ask? :P
__________________

Fighting for Pluto's liberation from the Dwarf League since 2006 @(°.°)=@)x.X)' ' '
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,510
Groaned at 979 Times in 688 Posts
Thanked 17,517 Times in 6,865 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, just kidding.

This is my first post on the forum and I would like to thank you all for your endless patience with people with such questions. I have read through all the threads I could find and have now got a pretty good grasp of what to expect financially, but also in terms of quality of life.

I am now confident that I am ready to move to Switzerland with my family from the UK.

Reading through the many posts one thing keeps jumping out at me. There are some people on this forum with the most amazing sense of humour, especially in response to lazy, uninformed questions. But you still take the time to reply!

Our peculiarities as a family are that we have three big (well educated) dogs and two cars. We want to live out in the countryside to have a house with a garden and we are willing to commute to find it within our budget. We are lucky our dogs don't bark, but the fact I will likely have to get a dog licence and pay dog tax is a nice wake up call to prepare us mentally that we will have to deal with all the rules and regulations.

Another thing that is hard to judge online is climate. I will be based around Biel/Bienne and I am anticipating relatively warm, sunny summers and snowy winters.

This brings me to a final peculiarity of ours: barbecues... we grill our food outside nearly twice a week, even when it is snowing. I know, it is weird... but I love the taste. Now, yes, meat/fish is very expensive... so will likely curb my enthusiasm. But, are there any restrictions on barbecuing? I am aware of the noise limitations on Sunday for example, but is this something that will annoy the neighbours?
I first rolled my eyes at the title then LOL'd when I read the opening post. Well done.

As far as grilling goes, you just can't usually use a charcoal BBQ in an apartment block for obvious smoke-related reasons. Gas BBQ's are usually fine though unless explicitly forbidden by a landlord (haven't heard of that yet).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Belgian has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
You don´t pay dog tax in Belgium and the UK?


I do think your questions were already answered on this forum
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgian for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:13
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,493
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,325 Times in 9,259 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Well, several dog licences and tax as you have 3. You'll also need insurance for all 3 as part of your civil liability insurance. And they have to be checked over by a vet and registered in the AMICUS database within 10 days of their arrival.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...nual-pets.html

Warm sunny summers, yes I think. Snowy winters, not that I've noticed particularly, but I only visit Bienne on the occasional weekend.

Bear in mind it's not going to be that easy to find a place with 3 dogs in tow. Don't assume that it's okay to have a pet, check and double check and if possible get it written into your rental contract.

Two cars as well, boy are you going to pay. No multi-car insurance deals here, you usually pay more for having more than one car.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:14
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,751
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 8,035 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.
Hundesteuer is pretty normal in at least Austria and Germany as well.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:14
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.
Actually, it's a really fantastic idea, and most people, after explaining what the "dog tax" is all about, actually agree it's a pretty good idea.

Coming from a country with miserable images of abandoned animals every summer, where killing kennels are the norm, forcing someone to think twice before getting a dog for their kids on X-Mas is actually a commendable idea.

The dog tax is probably the only thing I come to immediate defence in Switzerland, and if it were up to me, I'd implement it in every country.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Belgian has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
Some renting contracts specify that you are not allowed to use coal grills on the balconies of apartment buildings, though I have never had to face such a clause.

Other than that, as long as you don't do noise, you can grill 24/7, though, I warn you, some places (like where I live) stop selling coal after the "proper grilling saison" is over.

We just stock up in October, and grill during winter. We are known in the neighbourhood for the crazy people grilling in deep winter.



Depends on the year. Sometimes we get snow in May. Sometimes summer lasts 1 week. Sometimes it's infernal heat that never ends, and depressing long winters that only snow sport aficionados could really love. You also have the wonderful thing called the "Föhn", which is a fantastic wind from the mountains that causes the biggest headaches I've ever had.

No, I am not a fan of Central European weather, why do you ask? :P
Haha, excellent! Yes, charcoal is very much a seasonal thing and I have been known to travel far and wide in desperate search for it in winter. I have also been known to underestimate how much I need to last the winter...

Yeah, the climate is the only gamble for us. I love being outdoors, and blue skies make me happy. I can deal with cold/hot/wet/snow as long as I know it will end. From my visits to Switzerland in the past I summarised the weather was not only very variable at short notice, it was also seemed to have micro climates based on quite exact geographic locations...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.




There used to be a dog licence requirement, but no more. Pity really!




Welcome to the forum, OP.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.
They used to have a dog-tax (dog licence) in the UK until 1987. We used to have to renew the grand sum of 37p for our old mutt every year.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,390
Groaned at 349 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 12,418 Times in 5,965 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
No, the concept of 'dog tax' is fairly unique to Switzerland and to be honest, makes most non-Swiss giggle a bit.


And Germany and the Netherlands and some cities in Belgium.......
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:23
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, the climate is the only gamble for us. I love being outdoors, and blue skies make me happy.
You can really come, don't fear the weather. I have to say most years I felt we went straight from snow to blue skies, not such a long rainy season like in the place I grew up, so that's a plus. I also have only had one proper snow storm in the 10 years I've been here, though I live next to the lake (which is milder).

Just count on extreme changes in temperature (we had days that went from 3°C in the night to 20°C during the day), and you'll find your way around fast enough
__________________

Fighting for Pluto's liberation from the Dwarf League since 2006 @(°.°)=@)x.X)' ' '
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,900
Groaned at 285 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 17,671 Times in 6,208 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

expect to read a long dog post at any time.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Belgian has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
Well, several dog licences and tax as you have 3. You'll also need insurance for all 3 as part of your civil liability insurance. And they have to be checked over by a vet and registered in the AMICUS database within 10 days of their arrival.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...nual-pets.html

Bear in mind it's not going to be that easy to find a place with 3 dogs in tow. Don't assume that it's okay to have a pet, check and double check and if possible get it written into your rental contract.

Two cars as well, boy are you going to pay. No multi-car insurance deals here, you usually pay more for having more than one car.
The dogs are all chipped and have passports. I will have to prepare the rabies shots and I had hoped that visiting the vet would help me run through the other formalities asap.

I agree that finding a place where pets are allowed is not making things easy. I am hoping that finding a place in the countryside is going to help a bit. I am not a city slicker.

Regarding cars... I just like cars. They are not new or fancy... I maintain them myself and I pay the cheapest third party insurance money can buy. Unless there are some hidden costs in Switzerland I have missed, I really do not see why people reckon that they are such a major cost. From my (rather limited) research online it will cost me around 400 chf a year in tax, 40 chf for a vignette and 350 chf insurance. Although that is not cheap, I do not find it shocking. Am I missing something?

Quote:
View Post
Hundesteuer is pretty normal in at least Austria and Germany as well.
Quote:
View Post
Actually, it's a really fantastic idea, and most people, after explaining what the "dog tax" is all about, actually agree it's a pretty good idea.

Coming from a country with miserable images of abandoned animals every summer, where killing kennels are the norm, forcing someone to think twice before getting a dog for their kids on X-Mas is actually a commendable idea.

The dog tax is probably the only thing I come to immediate defence in Switzerland, and if it were up to me, I'd implement it in every country.
Well, apart from my initial giggle, I understand and respect the point. Not only does it make you think twice before getting a pet and shows you have to take responsibility for it. I pay the same amount in kennel costs as I do on car hire when I go on holiday!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgian for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 20.06.2017, 17:56
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,493
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,325 Times in 9,259 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

The cars will need to be checked that they meet Swiss standards I think so that will be some cost depending on what they find. How good are you at cleaning engines?

Do you use both cars at the same time? If not then look at getting the insurance where you can swop the licence plate from car to car, that'll save some money as only one car can be on the road at the time.

Make sure you have all the paperwork sorted out with Swiss Customs

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home...c-animals.html

and check here

http://blv.bytix.com/plus/dbr/default.aspx?lang=en

regarding the rabies, microchip, etc, requirements. Also make sure you're arriving on a day/time that the Customs office is open.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 20.06.2017, 18:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,494
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 24,191 Times in 7,606 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
expect to read a long dog post at any time.
But not today.


The only thing I'll add to all the canine info others have already given is this summary of the various cantonal dog laws, compiled by the good folks at Tier Im Recht:

https://www.tierimrecht.org/de/recht/hunderecht/

Obviously one needs to be up to speed on the regs in the canton you live, but also if you plan on traveling around Switzerland with your dogs check on the regs in any canton you visit.

As you mention Biel (BE) as your work location, just be aware that BE restricts the number of dogs you can walk at any one time to 3. So keep this in mind if you at some point consider adding another to the family. (There can never be too many dogs sleeping on the sofa, oder?)

Neither BE nor NE impose BSL or measures based on size, by the way.

Good luck with the move, hope you and the dogs all enjoy your Swiss adventure.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 20.06.2017, 18:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 921
Groaned at 119 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 701 Times in 388 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
View Post
Some renting contracts specify that you are not allowed to use coal grills on the balconies of apartment buildings, though I have never had to face such a clause.
I still don't understand why some people think that a charcoal grill produces more smoke than a gas one.

And BTW: you can NOT barbecue on gas. There is no such thing. You can BURN your meat on gas, but properly grill it, hell no!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EPMike for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 20.06.2017, 18:33
pdofr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Aargau
Posts: 163
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 137 Posts
pdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is 120k CHF salary enough to live comfortably?

Quote:
They used to have a dog-tax (dog licence) in the UK until 1987. We used to have to renew the grand sum of 37p for our old mutt every year.
A friend who got a dog circa 1985 knew that it cost significantly more than 37p to collect, and used the argument that he was saving the government money by ignoring it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to live comfortably in CH on less than 120k - EF savings advice thread Guest Daily life 233 28.10.2018 00:35
Is a 78,000 CHF gross salary enough to live in Lugano? SamM Employment 66 29.05.2013 21:02
Is 120,000 CHF enough to live in Angola? quark International affairs/politics 20 17.07.2012 09:01
Is this salary enough to live on? [Bern, 3500/mo, 2 adults, 1 kid] archieindian Employment 23 15.01.2010 16:45
What is a good salary in Zurich to allow one to live comfortably needhelp Employment 43 22.07.2008 17:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0