Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2017, 15:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twann/Biel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
christinesan has no particular reputation at present
Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Hi there,

My name's Christine and while I'm not new here, I haven't been active for a long while. I've been living in Zurich for 8 years and am about to start a new, slightly more rural, adventure in Twann - between Biel and Neuchatel.

I don't know anyone there, which adds to the sense of adventure, but I was wondering if anyone on here lives in the area. I will be quitting my job in the process so am hoping to start connecting with people as soon as I get there

I am, however, much more keen to receive messages from people already over in the Jura Bernois region. Preferably people with similar interests to me. My hobbies include trail running, climbing (both sport and bouldering), mountain biking (though I'm new to it) and reading. Learning French is also high on my list of priorities so anyone willing to help me along in exchange for help with English or Japanese are more than welcome to get in touch.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 06.07.2017 at 22:25. Reason: removed advertising element
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2017, 22:32
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,105
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 14,077 Times in 6,514 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

We have several members over in that area, so I'm sure you'll be able to make some new friends. Off the top of my head, Belgianmum is near Neuchâtel, carlasmom is in Biel (I think), and Odile is somewhere up in the sticks in the Jura.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.07.2017, 17:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 460
Groaned at 14 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 238 Times in 150 Posts
Miostar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Be careful of the speed limitations between Neuchâtel and Bienne, they are murder. Hope you will enjoy your new home.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.07.2017, 18:07
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,130
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,287 Times in 6,799 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Learning French is also high on my list of priorities so anyone willing to help me along in exchange for help with English or Japanese are more than welcome to get in touch.
Twann is German speacking
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.07.2017, 21:47
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,395
Groaned at 122 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 14,841 Times in 6,534 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
We have several members over in that area, so I'm sure you'll be able to make some new friends. Off the top of my head, Belgianmum is near Neuchâtel, carlasmom is in Biel (I think), and Odile is somewhere up in the sticks in the Jura.
Twann is very near to me, it's a cute little place.(little being the operative word)

It is officially German speaking so French is probably not the most useful language for the OP to be learning if she's going to be living there although most people speak some French.

As someone mentioned there are an awful lot of speed cameras on that area so you need to pay attention to the limits when driving or it could get very expensive.

Welcome to the area Christine. Happy to meet up for a coffee later in the summer but I'm afraid the only hobby I share with you is reading.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 14.07.2017 at 08:45.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.07.2017, 18:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twann/Biel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
christinesan has no particular reputation at present
Yeah, I've heard about the dreaded cameras! I only just passed my driving test last month (I'm not super young, it just took me ages) so I can't afford to risk a ticket! I'll be the annoyingly slow person driving between Twann and Biel for the duration of my probation time ;-)

I heard it's bilingual, but if not I'll have to hop over to Neuchatel :-D There are 1000 inhabitants, so I will be venturing out in search of friends either way, I reckon!

It's our way of practicing country(ish) life before moving to the French Alps in a few years' time, so little doesn't bother me. Or I hope it won't is probably more accurate.

Luckily I speak German, so I guess I'll just have to pop over the Roestigraben to practice my French.

Reading is a dominant hobby of mine, so one hobby in common will suffice :-)

I'll be in touch again in August once we're settled in - looking forward to meeting you!

Belgianmum - great! My boyfriend is from Lille, which may as well be Belgium, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about.

Thanks a lot, I'll give everyone a ping once the move is behind us :-)

Last edited by 3Wishes; 13.07.2017 at 20:55. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank christinesan for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.07.2017, 18:33
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,130
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,287 Times in 6,799 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, I've heard about the dreaded cameras! I only just passed my driving test last month (I'm not super young, it just took me ages) so I can't afford to risk a ticket! I'll be the annoyingly slow person driving between Twann and Biel for the duration of my probation time ;-)
Normal speeding tickets for a few km/h over (up to 15km/h) are only an issue for your household budget (and heavy scolding here on EF if you let us known). The very worst that can happen is missing a 30 zone and still driving more than 45 km/h.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.07.2017, 19:05
ZenAgent's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 207
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 248 Times in 89 Posts
ZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I heard it's bilingual, but if not I'll have to hop over to Neuchatel :-D There are 1000 inhabitants, so I will be venturing out in search of friends either way, I reckon!
Biel is most definitely bilingual, no need to travel too far for your french practice. Otherwise, you can pop over to my office and answer emails and take phone calls in french. Unpaid of course, as you'd be a 'trainee'.

Good luck with your move!

Zen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.07.2017, 20:50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 460
Groaned at 14 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 238 Times in 150 Posts
Miostar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Go and visit St Peter's Island, it is a marvellous place and Jean-Jacques Rousseau lived there for a while. Fabulous for long walks and it is on your door step, lucky you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Miostar for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 13.07.2017, 21:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twann/Biel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
christinesan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Normal speeding tickets for a few km/h over (up to 15km/h) are only an issue for your household budget (and heavy scolding here on EF if you let us known). The very worst that can happen is missing a 30 zone and still driving more than 45 km/h.
Phew - thanks for the tip, I'm properly scared of losing my license during my probation and having to do it all again
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.07.2017, 21:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twann/Biel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
christinesan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Normal speeding tickets for a few km/h over (up to 15km/h) are only an issue for your household budget (and heavy scolding here on EF if you let us known). The very worst that can happen is missing a 30 zone and still driving more than 45 km/h.
Quote:
View Post
Biel is most definitely bilingual, no need to travel too far for your french practice. Otherwise, you can pop over to my office and answer emails and take phone calls in french. Unpaid of course, as you'd be a 'trainee'.

Good luck with your move!

Zen
Haha, I think I'd have to pay you to cover the damages I'd cause
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank christinesan for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 14.07.2017, 08:51
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,395
Groaned at 122 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 14,841 Times in 6,534 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Normal speeding tickets for a few km/h over (up to 15km/h) are only an issue for your household budget (and heavy scolding here on EF if you let us known). The very worst that can happen is missing a 30 zone and still driving more than 45 km/h.
Luckily there are no 30 limit areas on that road. The worst she'll probably get will be a 40chf fine and once you've had a couple of those you soon learn where the cameras are and avoid getting more of them.

Quote:
View Post
Biel is most definitely bilingual, no need to travel too far for your french practice. Otherwise, you can pop over to my office and answer emails and take phone calls in french. Unpaid of course, as you'd be a 'trainee'.

Good luck with your move!

Zen
Biel is bilingual and people do speak French but it definitely leans more towards german than French in my opinion.
It's better to go down the lakeside towards a Neuchâtel if the OP wants to practice French. La Neuveville is not far and is definitely French speaking.
They only speak german in the commune office in Twann ( or they did when I went there).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.07.2017, 10:18
ZenAgent's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 207
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 248 Times in 89 Posts
ZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Biel is bilingual and people do speak French but it definitely leans more towards german than French in my opinion.
It's better to go down the lakeside towards a Neuchâtel if the OP wants to practice French. La Neuveville is not far and is definitely French speaking.
They only speak german in the commune office in Twann ( or they did when I went there).
Good point.

Some guy cat-called me in german at the train station in Biel yesterday. When I didn't respond or acknowledge him, he repeated himself in french.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.07.2017, 10:42
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,278
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

The commune of Moutier this year voted to leave canton Bern and join Jura instead. I wonder if this will set a precedent for other communes in the Bernese Jura?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 14.07.2017, 10:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 22,869
Groaned at 544 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 25,381 Times in 11,638 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Hi and bienvenue en Romandie.

I live in the area too, but in the mountains in the Far West - near the French border. If you ever want to discover the local town of Pontarlier- get in touch and I'll show you around.

For hiking and mountain biking (for maps look at VTT Chasseral- or VTT Neuchâtel)- you will be so well located- go straight up to Chasseral- then later explore Val-de-Travers- doing the Gorges de l'Areuse from Boudry, and from Noiraigue- up to the fabulous lime circle of Creux-du-Van- and so much more.

Are you a skiier? The Neuchâtel/Bern Jura mountains is a fabulous place for x-country skiing- but there are also many small downhill resorts too. Many will take your VTT bike on the back of the chair-lift in Summer, like La Robella in Buttes- you can then go down through the forest tracks- or continue up to Chasseron (Chasseral's twin sister- but without the ugly Telecom towers)... and then down to Les Rasses (another good ski area) and St Croix, then across to Mauborget and over the mountain to Couvet- and you can put your bike on the train to return. Possibilities are endless - too many for a post- but happy to explain and show you maps when you are here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 14.07.2017, 11:26
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,130
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,287 Times in 6,799 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
The commune of Moutier this year voted to leave canton Bern and join Jura instead. I wonder if this will set a precedent for other communes in the Bernese Jura?
No. This was most likely that last chance in many decades. The only two communes still able to vote are Belprahon and Sorvilier.

Here some background information in German:
https://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/abstimmun...ier-ld.1301551
https://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/es-fehlt-...mus-1.18147260

Or here in less detail in English:
https://www.swissinfo.ch/directdemoc...68456#comments
https://www.swissinfo.ch/directdemoc...l-war/43255844
https://www.swissinfo.ch/directdemoc...toric/43273044
__________________
“That’s the second biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen!”
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 23.12.2018, 14:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Biel bienne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Octav has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Hi Christine,

We are quite new here and i saw your message to the group from last year. If you are also from the region pls let me know. Me and my wife would be greatfull to meet new people
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29.04.2019, 20:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Benilin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Hi, every summer i will go to Twann to swim. I really do love there. Maybe in summer we can meet each other. Gruss from Solothurn
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09.05.2019, 16:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 86
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
SarcasmXXL has earned some respectSarcasmXXL has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Twann (BE) from Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hi there,

My name's Christine and while I'm not new here, I haven't been active for a long while. I've been living in Zurich for 8 years and am about to start a new, slightly more rural, adventure in Twann - between Biel and Neuchatel.

I don't know anyone there, which adds to the sense of adventure, but I was wondering if anyone on here lives in the area. I will be quitting my job in the process so am hoping to start connecting with people as soon as I get there

I am, however, much more keen to receive messages from people already over in the Jura Bernois region. Preferably people with similar interests to me. My hobbies include trail running, climbing (both sport and bouldering), mountain biking (though I'm new to it) and reading. Learning French is also high on my list of priorities so anyone willing to help me along in exchange for help with English or Japanese are more than welcome to get in touch.
Hi
I will be moving to Biel/Nidau area in July and will be happy to meet you. I live in Basel area for 7 years.

Thanks and bye
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SarcasmXXL for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
bern, hobbies, moving, new friends, twann




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soon to be moving to Switzerland from SA Sam Lee Introductions 4 11.03.2016 18:59
What needs to be declared when moving to Switzerland from the UK? effie Finance/banking/taxation 9 03.02.2015 20:30
Should I be paying 1000 CHF to be moved from a 1-bedroom apartment to 3-day storage? bzz Housing in general 5 26.07.2012 11:38
From India, Will be moving to Zurich Shortly rose1983 Introductions 12 11.07.2008 12:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0