Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.03.2018, 14:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AnaV has no particular reputation at present
New person here~

Hello! I'm Chilean female called Ana, 26 years old. I arrived in february to Geneva and I came to start a new life. It has been difficult because the language, but I'm learning French for my own. Since the firts days I visit this forum so I can learn new things about this country and to don't feel alone in those isolated moments.

I like to walk and discover things, such like arts exhibitions, museums, etc. I like to read, watch movies, like to music and yes, I'm a nerd who like anime.

Thank yo so much
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.03.2018, 15:08
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,118
Groaned at 338 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 8,058 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Welcome to the forum and to Switzerland AnaV. What brought you here?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.03.2018, 15:22
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 7,585
Groaned at 94 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 7,830 Times in 4,231 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Hi, AnaV, welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.03.2018, 17:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,040
Groaned at 30 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,380 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Quote:
View Post
Hello! I'm Chilean female called Ana, 26 years old. I arrived in february to Geneva and I came to start a new life. It has been difficult because the language, but I'm learning French for my own. Since the firts days I visit this forum so I can learn new things about this country and to don't feel alone in those isolated moments.

I like to walk and discover things, such like arts exhibitions, museums, etc. I like to read, watch movies, like to music and yes, I'm a nerd who like anime.

Thank yo so much


For a bit of Latin American feeling, you should not feel too alone in Geneva: if you go Place des Grottes (just behind the train station), there is the most amazing Deli with tons of spices, herbs, chillies, teas in wonderful glass jars, it is a treasure grove of all things from around the world and especially Latin America (but from the decoration in the window, I got the feeling there is a strong link with Mexico) and the staff are super nice. In the same area, there's Le Brasseur des Grottes, a bar with venues and Salsa evenings http://www.brasseur-des-grottes.ch/site/fr/ (went last night for a fantastic Rock/Blues evening and to listen to Neal Black and the Healers, from Texas).


On Thursday evenings there's the most delightful market on the same square (people actually TALK to you, whatever your language!) with complete strangers sharing a glass of wine or beer.


It is a really laid back atmosphere and if that's not enough, there are a couple of very good Lebanese restaurants nearby.


Even though there is no real link with Chile, I point all this to you because it is nice to see a more "normal, laid back and friendly" side of Geneva if you are not familiar with the city already.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 09.03.2018, 17:16
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,771
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 12,888 Times in 5,079 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Hello, and welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.03.2018, 17:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AnaV has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum and to Switzerland AnaV. What brought you here?
Hello!

Thank you

Well, I'm here because my aunt lives here, and she gave me the opportunity to come and because I want to do something of my life here!

Quote:
View Post
Hi, AnaV, welcome.
Hi!

Thank you so much! Have a nice week!

Quote:
View Post
Hello, and welcome.
Hello!

Thank you very much!

Quote:
View Post
For a bit of Latin American feeling, you should not feel too alone in Geneva: if you go Place des Grottes (just behind the train station), there is the most amazing Deli with tons of spices, herbs, chillies, teas in wonderful glass jars, it is a treasure grove of all things from around the world and especially Latin America (but from the decoration in the window, I got the feeling there is a strong link with Mexico) and the staff are super nice. In the same area, there's Le Brasseur des Grottes, a bar with venues and Salsa evenings http://www.brasseur-des-grottes.ch/site/fr/ (went last night for a fantastic Rock/Blues evening and to listen to Neal Black and the Healers, from Texas).


On Thursday evenings there's the most delightful market on the same square (people actually TALK to you, whatever your language!) with complete strangers sharing a glass of wine or beer.


It is a really laid back atmosphere and if that's not enough, there are a couple of very good Lebanese restaurants nearby.


Even though there is no real link with Chile, I point all this to you because it is nice to see a more "normal, laid back and friendly" side of Geneva if you are not familiar with the city already.
Hi!

I'm so happy with the information you gave me, I really appreciate it.
Thank you so much!

Have a nice week!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 11.03.2018 at 18:27. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AnaV for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 11.03.2018, 18:14
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,118
Groaned at 338 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 8,058 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Quote:
View Post
Hello!

Thank you

Well, I'm here because my aunt lives here, and she gave me the opportunity to come and because I want to do something of my life here!
Um, how did you manage that? I assume your aunt is a non-EU national and as such only her spouse/partner and any direct children can be her dependents here. Even EU nationals aren't allowed to bring in nieces/nephews/cousins.

https://www.ch.ch/en/family-reunification/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.03.2018, 18:17
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,958
Groaned at 152 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 14,236 Times in 7,132 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Warm welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.03.2018, 18:25
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,576
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,571 Times in 835 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Quote:
View Post
Um, how did you manage that? I assume your aunt is a non-EU national and as such only her spouse/partner and any direct children can be her dependents here. Even EU nationals aren't allowed to bring in nieces/nephews/cousins.

https://www.ch.ch/en/family-reunification/
As soon as I saw this thread, I knew Medea would be along shortly to burst this girl's bubble and smash all of her hopes and dreams into little, tiny shards.

OP, maybe your aunt is the Chilean Ambassador to Switzerland and you have diplomatic immunity, right? Or maybe you have a job in Geneva and are working at CERN to better all mankind, yes?

Please, please reassure us, OP, that you are not here to start a new life illegally in Switzerland and make Medea eat some crow.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TheSpouse for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 11.03.2018, 18:36
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,118
Groaned at 338 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 8,058 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

If she is fine, if not I'd rather she knew she might be breaking the rules before she finds herself in trouble with the Swiss authorities. I'm quite happy to eat crow (though it's not as tasty as ostrich).

If she arrived in February she's got a few more weeks here as a tourist (up to 90 days from when you arrived in Switzerland AnaV), but coming here as a resident will be a different kettle of fish.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 11.03.2018, 18:42
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,576
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,571 Times in 835 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Quote:
View Post
If she is fine, if not I'd rather she knew she might be breaking the rules before she finds herself in trouble with the Swiss authorities. I'm quite happy to eat crow (though it's not as tasty as ostrich).

If she arrived in February she's got a few more weeks here as a tourist (up to 90 days from when you arrived in Switzerland AnaV), but coming here as a resident will be a different kettle of fish.
Of course we know this, Medea, , but let's give the OP a chance to reassure us. AnaV, c'mon and make everyone feel better about rolling out the welcome mat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheSpouse for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 11.03.2018, 19:34
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 7,585
Groaned at 94 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 7,830 Times in 4,231 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

Well, there are rules and there is life.

The reason I am extremly interested in laws and rules is to use them to achieve what ever goal needs to be reached. Which in my experience very often is something the rule originally was not meant to be achieved.

Doing that is great fun btw. - not only because I got someone what s/he wanted/needed but just ...... for the sake of it. As well as for the soothing feeling that rules should be there to help, not to block people.

So OP might have an interesting story
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 11.03.2018, 22:32
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,958
Groaned at 152 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 14,236 Times in 7,132 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New person here~

I thank OP for showin' up...otherwise I'd never actually hear somebody saying "eat crow", for reals. Xxoo
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 12.03.2018, 23:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dexterix has become a little unpopulardexterix has become a little unpopular
Re: New person here~

Welcome Ana, Switzerland is a land of opoortunities if you intergrate properly..and sucessfully
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I,m not new here, but I'm new here ChriBo Introductions 12 24.06.2013 10:31
Any Social welfare for an uninsured person living here in switzerland? Evita is here Family matters/health 9 21.06.2011 20:26
Just stumped on what to put here. How about overly overly curious Swiss person???? pumpkinpie Daily life 28 28.01.2011 18:13
Salsa / Bacchata dance person here? Who can teach a new guy hollisterb Daily life 0 31.12.2009 20:42
Another new person Contractor Introductions 14 18.11.2007 20:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0