Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.08.2019, 01:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Beautiful Switzerland

I am an expat who has been living in Switzerland for over a year now and I still am in complete awe of its beauty. Having visited about 10 nearby countries, I can say without a doubt that the beauty of the mountains and lakes of Switzerland is unmatched. I try to visit one new place every other week and I am amazed to discover new places every time.

Recently, I happened to visit the beautiful Hollgrotten caves near Zug without any special planning and was surprised that a lot of people in Zurich were not aware of these caves. Many knew about the St.Beatus caves which is farther away, however, Hollgrotten caves which is hardly an hour from Zurich was not known to some people, but it is well worth a day trip for anyone new to Zurich. An add-on is that it is a nice place to escape from the hot summer as it is pleasant inside the caves. There is also a nice picnic spot nearby with a stream flowing by the side where families come to have a dip in the water and have barbeque by the side.

Does anyone of you know about the less explored but beautiful places in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank Kindness for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 13.08.2019, 22:55
Diane D's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Diane D has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Hi
Lovely article. I've am so pleased to hear your loving & appreciating Switzerland. I hope your thread can be used to talk about the lovely things instead of just facts & complaints.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Diane D for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.08.2019, 23:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,491
Groaned at 48 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 3,096 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

In Zug, one can go to the the police station on the edge of the pedestrian zone, and ask to borrow the key to the tower of the old city wall. In exchange, you have to leave something as a deposit, for example an ID or a watch.

The key itself is huge and dark and beautiful. The tower is not far from the police station. Up and up, many flights of stairs, and at the top there is a beautiful light, airy room, with lots of wood, and one can open the windows and enjoy a delightful view down onto the rooftops of the old town.

There's something very satisfying about locking that door again, and returning the heavy key of history to the friendly police of now.

Last edited by doropfiz; 14.08.2019 at 01:25.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.08.2019, 16:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
In Zug, one can go to the the police station on the edge of the pedestrian zone, and ask to borrow the key to the tower of the old city wall. In exchange, you have to leave something as a deposit, for example an ID or a watch.

The key itself is huge and dark and beautiful. The tower is not far from the police station. Up and up, many flights of stairs, and at the top there is a beautiful light, airy room, with lots of wood, and one can open the windows and enjoy a delightful view down onto the rooftops of the old town.

There's something very satisfying about locking that door again, and returning the heavy key of history to the friendly police of now.
Hello doropfiz

Wow! I did not know that. I will check that out next time when I am in Zug. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

Quote:
View Post
Hi
Lovely article. I've am so pleased to hear your loving & appreciating Switzerland. I hope your thread can be used to talk about the lovely things instead of just facts & complaints.
Thanks Diane..
Yes, There are so may new things to explore!!
I hope the same..

Last edited by 3Wishes; 15.08.2019 at 14:28. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kindness for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.08.2019, 16:44
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: singaporeotter
Posts: 1,945
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,093 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am an expat who has been living in Switzerland for over a year now and I still am in complete awe of its beauty. Having visited about 10 nearby countries, I can say without a doubt that the beauty of the mountains and lakes of Switzerland is unmatched. I try to visit one new place every other week and I am amazed to discover new places every time.

Recently, I happened to visit the beautiful Hollgrotten caves near Zug without any special planning and was surprised that a lot of people in Zurich were not aware of these caves. Many knew about the St.Beatus caves which is farther away, however, Hollgrotten caves which is hardly an hour from Zurich was not known to some people, but it is well worth a day trip for anyone new to Zurich. An add-on is that it is a nice place to escape from the hot summer as it is pleasant inside the caves. There is also a nice picnic spot nearby with a stream flowing by the side where families come to have a dip in the water and have barbeque by the side.

Does anyone of you know about the less explored but beautiful places in Switzerland?

Nice post OP. I visited St.Beatus caves last year on a visit back to CH. Was very beautiful. (even my swiss FIL had never heard of it)
I also came across this http://www.greisinger.museum/en/index.html
A museum dedicated to Middle Earth. I had never heard of it but I will definately try to visit it when I am next in Graubunden (especially having visited Hobbiton in NZ and being a huge LOTR fan)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.08.2019, 13:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
Nice post OP. I visited St.Beatus caves last year on a visit back to CH. Was very beautiful. (even my swiss FIL had never heard of it)
I also came across this http://www.greisinger.museum/en/index.html
A museum dedicated to Middle Earth. I had never heard of it but I will definately try to visit it when I am next in Graubunden (especially having visited Hobbiton in NZ and being a huge LOTR fan)
The place looks right out of a movie scene.. marvellous!!
Added to my bucket list 👍😊
Thanks for the suggestion!!

And a plus is that Lanquart is nearby.. That means an opportunity for shopping within a budget��

Last edited by 3Wishes; 15.08.2019 at 14:28. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kindness for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.08.2019, 20:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 104 Posts
Klostersgirl has earned the respect of manyKlostersgirl has earned the respect of manyKlostersgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Before you head down to Landquart, may I suggest you treat yourself to a glass of Gewurztraminer in the Alter Torkel in Jenins http://www.torkel.ch/de/. The view is very pleasant and the food good too.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.08.2019, 21:12
Jdr Jdr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Koblenz AG
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Jdr is considered knowledgeableJdr is considered knowledgeableJdr is considered knowledgeable
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

The coal mine in Horgen is worth a visit :



http://www.bergwerk-kaepfnach.ch/

Last edited by Jdr; 15.08.2019 at 22:00. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jdr for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.08.2019, 15:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The coal mine in Horgen is worth a visit :



http://www.bergwerk-kaepfnach.ch/
Never been to a coal mine before and never knew that was something accessible to public.. interesting piece of information 😊👍
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.08.2019, 15:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Before you head down to Landquart, may I suggest you treat yourself to a glass of Gewurztraminer in the Alter Torkel in Jenins http://www.torkel.ch/de/. The view is very pleasant and the food good too.
Gonna drag my friends too to this place !!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.08.2019, 15:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

People liviing in Zurich city can check a place named Dunkelholzli which is calm, quiet and peaceful.. Very good for a nice stroll and you also get milk and farm fresh veggies
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.08.2019, 23:48
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 1,898
Groaned at 174 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 2,778 Times in 898 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Our favorite "secret place".. Betlis on Walensee.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Karl for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.08.2019, 21:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 104 Posts
Klostersgirl has earned the respect of manyKlostersgirl has earned the respect of manyKlostersgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Our favorite "secret place".. Betlis on Walensee.
Thank you for sharing that secret ... Betlis looks fantastic. I shall look forward to exploring it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.08.2019, 06:15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 250 Times in 87 Posts
Verne has an excellent reputationVerne has an excellent reputationVerne has an excellent reputationVerne has an excellent reputation
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

A fabulous but almost unknown place in Zurich is the "Giacometti Hall" inside the main police police station right in the heart of the city.


The spectacular decoration was created by the famous swiss painter, Augusto Giacometti, in the middle of the 1920s. The building used to be an orphanage but later on it became a police station and subsequently got closed to the public. And over time the place fell right out of public memory.



Some years ago the so called "Blüemlihalle" (hall of flowers) finally got restored and once again open for visitors. As it is inside a working police station the opening hours are somewhat short (daily from 9.00am – 11.00am and 2.00pm – 4.00pm) and you have to check in at the front desk of the station and present some form of ID, drivers license or passport. But, hey, it's free and something like 5 minutes away from the main train station. :-)




https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/att...iacometti-hall


https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/pd/de/i...tti_halle.html

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Verne for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.08.2019, 17:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A fabulous but almost unknown place in Zurich is the "Giacometti Hall" inside the main police police station right in the heart of the city.


The spectacular decoration was created by the famous swiss painter, Augusto Giacometti, in the middle of the 1920s. The building used to be an orphanage but later on it became a police station and subsequently got closed to the public. And over time the place fell right out of public memory.



Some years ago the so called "Blüemlihalle" (hall of flowers) finally got restored and once again open for visitors. As it is inside a working police station the opening hours are somewhat short (daily from 9.00am – 11.00am and 2.00pm – 4.00pm) and you have to check in at the front desk of the station and present some form of ID, drivers license or passport. But, hey, it's free and something like 5 minutes away from the main train station. :-)




https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/att...iacometti-hall


https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/pd/de/i...tti_halle.html

Wow! Really? This place is around the area we visit regularly and had no ideA such a beautiful hall existed!! Thanks a lot for sharing this!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30.08.2019, 17:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,153
Groaned at 88 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,664 Times in 3,976 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

A couple of not secret places, but which have events coming up that you might not be aware of:

Urania Sternwarte https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/att...nia-sternwarte

Opernhaus Opening Party https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/spielpla...-20/2019-2020/

Opernhaus Musical Advent Calendar https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/home/ext...vent-calendar/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.08.2019, 17:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A couple of not secret places, but which have events coming up that you might not be aware of:

Urania Sternwarte https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/att...nia-sternwarte

Opernhaus Opening Party https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/spielpla...-20/2019-2020/

Opernhaus Musical Advent Calendar https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/home/ext...vent-calendar/
Thanks blueangel.. looking forward to the opening 🥳 party
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30.08.2019, 17:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Kindness has earned some respectKindness has earned some respect
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

For people who love to hike, there is a beautiful place but slightly difficult trail.. its called the 5 lake hike..but I assure you that it would be well worth the efforts.. its absolutely picturesque and serene..

https://pizol.com/experience-summer/...ike?lang=en_GB
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Kindness for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 30.08.2019, 18:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,260
Groaned at 266 Times in 216 Posts
Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,694 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
For people who love to hike, there is a beautiful place but slightly difficult trail.. its called the 5 lake hike..but I assure you that it would be well worth the efforts.. its absolutely picturesque and serene..

https://pizol.com/experience-summer/...ike?lang=en_GB
Yes, absolutely gorgeous!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30.08.2019, 22:14
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,028
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,616 Times in 927 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Our favorite "secret place".. Betlis on Walensee.
From Betlis one can hike to Quintin and take the boat back.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Beautiful Villages in Switzerland TheSpouse Travel/day trips/free time 25 11.06.2012 21:45
Leaving Beautiful Switzerland mabelpaulsiva Introductions 6 07.04.2011 08:21
The Most Beautiful Place in Switzerland artinhorgen Travel/day trips/free time 45 22.02.2011 18:32
Most beautiful cities in Switzerland - vote now! argus Daily life 65 19.06.2010 02:03
Beautiful Switzerland in ONE WEEK DFranco Travel/day trips/free time 12 03.10.2008 19:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0