Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02.01.2020, 17:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
Simply live in Zug. 20 mins to Zurich with train. And 8 min to Rotkreuz. Even after 2 years German your wife would be unlikely to find work in a German speaking environment. In an English environment yes but even then very difficult
omtatsat, yes, Zug is an option, although the rental prices are high and difficult to find a place. In any case, the final decision will depend on the apartment I will be able to find.

Why do you think it would be very difficult for my wife to find a job in an English environment? My job is in English, for example. I guess there are such options, especially in Zurich, or is it not so.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02.01.2020, 17:57
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,475
Groaned at 1,838 Times in 995 Posts
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,745 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
omtatsat, yes, Zug is an option, although the rental prices are high and difficult to find a place. In any case, the final decision will depend on the apartment I will be able to find.

Why do you think it would be very difficult for my wife to find a job in an English environment? My job is in English, for example. I guess there are such options, especially in Zurich, or is it not so.
By difficult I mean to find such a job in an only English environment in her profession would be not so easy. The job offers would be limited. And for her to work in an English /German environment would be difficult for her because of the language problems. Her profession involves the use of very specific words and two years in a German course ( would have to be full time ) would hardly get her to such a level as required for this work.

One cannot compare an IT profession with a Lawyer profession.


Maybe this is of help

http://www.jobsinzurich.com/search?q...+Legal+Counsel
__________________
The following 3 users would like to thank Omtatsat for this useful post:

President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Kim Jong-un

Last edited by omtatsat; 02.01.2020 at 18:35.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02.01.2020, 19:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
By difficult I mean to find such a job in an only English environment in her profession would be not so easy. The job offers would be limited. And for her to work in an English /German environment would be difficult for her because of the language problems. Her profession involves the use of very specific words and two years in a German course ( would have to be full time ) would hardly get her to such a level as required for this work.

One cannot compare an IT profession with a Lawyer profession.


Maybe this is of help

http://www.jobsinzurich.com/search?q...+Legal+Counsel
Ah, yes, this I understand and it makes total sense! As per my understanding, the area she would search for a job would be more mediation, conflict resolution, empathy. One of the reasons we make this step of moving is that during the last 4 years she spent a lot of time specializing in this areas, thus moving away from the lawyer profession.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02.01.2020, 19:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, Roegner! I will check. But in this case, she will be accompanying me as she is getting too old to stay on her own, so I am pretty sure it is a special case that would evaluate also my possibility to support her. But I need to check it when I arrive in Rotkreuz, for sure. Also, may be every canton will have there own rules on this....



What is special about this, the authorities only care about who will pay if the relation breaks down for any reason as they don't want to have to pay for your relative.


You, she, the Pope, they don't care, you just have to show you have sufficient financial means to pay for everything, including extended and expensive health care.


Nothing special whatsoever about your relative's case, sorry.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 02.01.2020, 19:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,998
Groaned at 25 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 22,489 Times in 7,169 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
Why do you think it would be very difficult for my wife to find a job in an English environment? My job is in English, for example. I guess there are such options, especially in Zurich, or is it not so.
The extent to which lack of professional level German (French, Italian) can be a barrier here is often underplayed. Especially by recruiters trying to convince a potential hire to up sticks and move the family here.

Plenty of highly qualified spouses have seen their careers wither and die after choosing to follow the sponsored partner to Switzerland. It's a tough market. On the other hand, plenty of highly qualified spouses have been able to re-invent themselves - albeit many with a longer period of unemployment than anticipated.

Hopefully your wife will be one of the second category. But whatever you do, it would be wise not to count on your wife's earning potential as you are considering the financials of this move. From experience, I would only come if your offer allows you to comfortably be the sole breadwinner in the family for the foreseeable future. If you need your wife's potential earnings to make it here, think three times.

Does your relocation package offer any career counseling or other networking help for your wife?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
The extent to which lack of professional level German (French, Italian) can be a barrier here is often underplayed. Especially by recruiters trying to convince a potential hire to up sticks and move the family here.

Plenty of highly qualified spouses have seen their careers wither and die after choosing to follow the sponsored partner to Switzerland. It's a tough market. On the other hand, plenty of highly qualified spouses have been able to re-invent themselves - albeit many with a longer period of unemployment than anticipated.

Hopefully your wife will be one of the second category. But whatever you do, it would be wise not to count on your wife's earning potential as you are considering the financials of this move. From experience, I would only come if your offer allows you to comfortably be the sole breadwinner in the family for the foreseeable future. If you need your wife's potential earnings to make it here, think three times.

Does your relocation package offer any career counseling or other networking help for your wife?
meloncollie, thanks for the heads up!

Indeed, we are making the move as my salary should be enough for the foreseeable future. My relocation package does include consultation for my wife on finding a job. We just hope that she will be able to find a job in a multi national company or work as a freelance in the areas I already listed or close to them. In the meantime she will study German, help the kids and family adapt
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,954
Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,098 Times in 3,373 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
3) The pdf Family reunification (https://www.sem.admin.ch/dam/data/se...nnachzug-e.pdf) states:

According to the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (AFMP) between Switzerland and the EU, citizens of EU/EFTA1 who have been granted the right to stay in Switzerland may extend this right to certain family members.
.....
- their own parents or their spouse's parents who receive support ....
As far as I understand it, the key point is that the parent was already being supported by the adult child prior to applying to move to Switzerland to live with the adult child. I have heard of an application's being turned down when the parent had been living on an adequate pension in the home country, and only suddenly developed a dependency by wanting to move to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02.01.2020, 23:22
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,877
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,736 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
As far as I understand it, the key point is that the parent was already being supported by the adult child prior to applying to move to Switzerland to live with the adult child. I have heard of an application's being turned down when the parent had been living on an adequate pension in the home country, and only suddenly developed a dependency by wanting to move to Switzerland.
If he’s an EU citizen, he is entitled to bring his parent as his dependant.

“Parents and grandparents, if they can be supported financially (if they need financial support, proof of support must be provided before entering Switzerland)”

https://www.ch.ch/en/family-reunification-eu-efta/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 03.01.2020, 01:14
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 6,037
Groaned at 120 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 7,091 Times in 3,347 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
meloncollie, thanks for the heads up!

Indeed, we are making the move as my salary should be enough for the foreseeable future. My relocation package does include consultation for my wife on finding a job. We just hope that she will be able to find a job in a multi national company or work as a freelance in the areas I already listed or close to them. In the meantime she will study German, help the kids and family adapt
You have what sounds like a generous relocation package, since very few include this kind of support. I think many employers are of the opinion that the spouse's job search is the spouse's responsibility. Employers can have the same attitude to language lessons, where there is no provison for lessons for the spouse, just the employee. Does your package also include an allowance for a relocation firm to help you with your house search? This should be a priority. Temporary housing with school age children is less than ideal.

Last edited by Mrs. Doolittle; 03.01.2020 at 10:15.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 04.01.2020, 13:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Rayne has earned some respectRayne has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
Also, as far as I understand, she will have up to mid 6th grade to get the Gymi recommendation, am I correct? So provided she knows German by then good enough I think it is not impossible.
In canton Zurich you don't need the teacher's recommendation to go to gymi, anyone can apply. However 50% of the marks come from the teacher's grades, the rest from the exam. The exam practice lessons are only given to children with high enough grades at the end of the 5th class, but it is possible to do these privately.
I know one boy from an IB school who started with little German in the 4th class and did manage to pass thanks to his exceptional maths compensating for his German - he did in school and private preparation lessons and had a tutor for German as well.

Only around 15% of children pass, so getting to the required level after only 18 months would be a huge achievement. Entrance after the 8th/9th class would be an easier option.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Rayne for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 14.02.2020, 12:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
As far as I understand it, the key point is that the parent was already being supported by the adult child prior to applying to move to Switzerland to live with the adult child. I have heard of an application's being turned down when the parent had been living on an adequate pension in the home country, and only suddenly developed a dependency by wanting to move to Switzerland.
Hi doropfiz,

I am already in Switzerland - have arrived on 02.02.2020 Has been an intense last month.

With regards to my mom - yes, you are correct. I talked to canton Zug and I need to prove that she lived with me and that I supported her financially before coming to Switzerland and also that she relies only on me. All this is true and I can prove it with the facts that we had the same address registration, I have been paying online (bank statements) all the expenses for the property, no one beside me is already alive to take care of my mom. I hope after I prove everything it will be fine.

Quote:
View Post
You have what sounds like a generous relocation package, since very few include this kind of support. I think many employers are of the opinion that the spouse's job search is the spouse's responsibility. Employers can have the same attitude to language lessons, where there is no provison for lessons for the spouse, just the employee. Does your package also include an allowance for a relocation firm to help you with your house search? This should be a priority. Temporary housing with school age children is less than ideal.
Thanks for the message and sorry for the delay!

Yes, I have assistance on finding an apartment. My family will join me once I have the permanent apartment set up. Still not sure where to settle but I will deal with this topic for the next month and will make my mind.

Quote:
View Post
In canton Zurich you don't need the teacher's recommendation to go to gymi, anyone can apply. However 50% of the marks come from the teacher's grades, the rest from the exam. The exam practice lessons are only given to children with high enough grades at the end of the 5th class, but it is possible to do these privately.
I know one boy from an IB school who started with little German in the 4th class and did manage to pass thanks to his exceptional maths compensating for his German - he did in school and private preparation lessons and had a tutor for German as well.

Only around 15% of children pass, so getting to the required level after only 18 months would be a huge achievement. Entrance after the 8th/9th class would be an easier option.
Hi, thanks for the message and sorry for the delay - was busy with my move to Switzerland

Ok, so I really now am confused. I thought the exam/decision to be able to go to Gymnasium happens in 6th grade and then starting from 7th grade you study in a Gymnasium. Now you mention 8/9th grade option to enter a gymnasium. What is this option? How the 6th and 8/9 grade options coincide and what is the relation between them.

A colleague told me that in Schwyz the gymi exam was in 8/9 grade instead of 6th and I thought this was unique to Schwyz in relation to Zurich, Zug, Luzern when it is in 6th grade. Now I do not know anymore if it is unique to Schwyz or it is a common option available for all cantons...

Thanks for additional info!

An update from me:

I arrived in Switzerland on 02.02.2020. Settled in a temp apartment in Cham, working in Rotkreuz. Apart from difficulties due to the move and relocation, everything else has been great so far - the apartment, the work, the country!

There are many ongoing topics but still the most important is to decide on where to settle in.

I am still investigating some school related questions and depending on the answer I could seriously consider Kussnacht (Immensee). I like the place, can get to Rotkreuz by bus, seems really nice for a family, low taxes, apartments seem not that expansive as in Zug, like the fact that it is small and I think this could help to find a community/friends easier than in a city. Disadvantages ar ethat it is still expensive to rent and also very few places so might be impossible to find a place there.

If the school topic turns out not to bring any advantage for my situation, I will consider also Cham and other places in canton Zug depending on transport, rent price. I think now Luzern comes third, but I have not visited it yet so it might happen it will climb up in my and my wives list

Last edited by roegner; 14.02.2020 at 12:32. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank alffastar for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 15.02.2020, 02:46
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Rayne has earned some respectRayne has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
Hi doropfiz,

Ok, so I really now am confused. I thought the exam/decision to be able to go to Gymnasium happens in 6th grade and then starting from 7th grade you study in a Gymnasium. Now you mention 8/9th grade option to enter a gymnasium. What is this option? How the 6th and 8/9 grade options coincide and what is the relation between them.

A colleague told me that in Schwyz the gymi exam was in 8/9 grade instead of 6th and I thought this was unique to Schwyz in relation to Zurich, Zug, Luzern when it is in 6th grade. Now I do not know anymore if it is unique to Schwyz or it is a common option available for all cantons...
All cantons offer gymnasium for 4 years after the 8th/9th grade (Kurzgymnasium). Only some cantons offer the 6 year Langgymnasium. You don't need to live in Canton Schwyz to have the option of joining a gymnasium later than 7th grade.

The end result of both types of gymnasium is the matura, so it really doesn't make a difference which route you take.

Immensee just has a private gymnasium. My friend pays for her child to go to to Langgymi there, not sure if Kurzgymi is free or if you would have to travel to Schwyz.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Rayne for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 15.02.2020, 10:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
All cantons offer gymnasium for 4 years after the 8th/9th grade (Kurzgymnasium). Only some cantons offer the 6 year Langgymnasium. You don't need to live in Canton Schwyz to have the option of joining a gymnasium later than 7th grade.

The end result of both types of gymnasium is the matura, so it really doesn't make a difference which route you take.

Immensee just has a private gymnasium. My friend pays for her child to go to to Langgymi there, not sure if Kurzgymi is free or if you would have to travel to Schwyz.
Thanks a lot, Rayne About Gymnasium Immensee I have the exact same questions as on their site the prices are only until 6 grade so will ask them via a mail

Last edited by alffastar; 15.02.2020 at 13:14.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 15.02.2020, 11:04
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Rayne has earned some respectRayne has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

The gymnasium Immensee only starts after primary school. The grades are referring to the 6 years of Langgymnasium, so 1./2. grade means 7./8. in the usual public school grade names. As Canton Schwyz doesn't have Langgymi it doesn't make a contribution to the school costs for grades 1./2.

Last edited by Rayne; 15.02.2020 at 11:04. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Rayne for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 15.02.2020, 13:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canton Zug
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
alffastar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
The gymnasium Immensee only starts after primary school. The grades are referring to the 6 years of Langgymnasium, so 1./2. grade means 7./8. in the usual public school grade names. As Canton Schwyz doesn't have Langgymi it doesn't make a contribution to the school costs for grades 1./2.
Thanks a lot, Rayne

One more thing, please. I am in canton Zug. So if I understand correctly, my daughter will have the following options in a public school:
1. Starts in 5th grade where first she attends integration class for some time and then switches to regular curriculum in 5th or in 6th grade, depending if her integration class will be 1 or 2 semesters. So in this case integration and regular class go in parallel. Or is it that the integration class is taken first (1 or 2 semesters) and then she starts from the start of the 5th grade?
2. Then at mid 6th grade depending on grades and evaluation of the teacher she has the opportunity to go to Langgymnasium (in Zug or Luzern there is no exam). This seems to me an advantage as I do not think exams at this age are healthy and would prefer my daughter not to undergo one.
3. Then at 8/9 she would have an opportunity to take an exam for Kurzgymnasium (not sure if it is after 8 or 9 or both). Currently I do not know what the exam in Zug/Luzerne comprises of and if it is based on school curriculum or we would need to arrange private lessons for her.
4. In some places in 6th grade there is an exam and not only in 8/9 grades, like Zurich, and in other cantons there is not option for Langgymnasium and the only one is an exam after 8/9, like in Schwyz.

So, if you are aware, could you please answer me on my question in point 1 and also tell me if my current understanding is generally correct. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15.02.2020, 13:20
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,860
Groaned at 155 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 16,347 Times in 7,048 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Quote:
View Post
All cantons offer gymnasium for 4 years after the 8th/9th grade (Kurzgymnasium). .
It’s not four years in every canton, it’s only 3 in Neuchâtel.
Obligatory schooling goes up to 11th grade (HarMos) and lycée (gymnasium) is three years after that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 15.02.2020, 16:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: near Langenthal, BE
Posts: 868
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 418 Posts
swisscanmom has earned the respect of manyswisscanmom has earned the respect of manyswisscanmom has earned the respect of many
Re: Moving to Switzerland :)

Integration class depends on the school. At my school kids join the integration class in the nearest regional centre, but only mornings, afternoons they get placed in a regular classroom. In the afternoons there are often subjects like sports , art or music, so kids can join in, even with a smattering of german, and they get to know their future classmates. In some schools they are in an intergration class all day, and only join a regular class once their German is deemed sufficient. The third option is integration in a regular classroom with individual pull-out lessons for extra German. This option is also often used once they integrate after completing an intensive German course at integration class. Which model is used depends on each school and the number of kids they have needing German support.
Another thing to note, is that in most cantons, if they have to take an exam for streaming purposes, special consideration is given to kids that have learned the language for 3 years or less.
I would put my effort of finding a suitable apartment and then checking with the local school what model for integration they use.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisscanmom for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving To switzerland from the US bellasriot Introductions 7 05.01.2012 23:28
Moving to Switzerland jeffers Permits/visas/government 12 24.11.2010 16:39
moving to Switzerland, about me Nedim Introductions 1 22.02.2008 09:51
How does moving out-moving in works in switzerland? landmark77 Other/general 3 18.07.2007 13:56
23m Moving to Switzerland Guest Introductions 12 25.05.2007 17:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0