Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 10.01.2021, 21:56
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
..... I'm free to continue not going out, hurrah.
LOL. Makes all the difference, doesn't it.

What were your last l upcycling projects then?

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure about "organized", but I was able to use my connections to find her a bike - and she was lucky


And yes, that's the same story all over: people rushing to get their license before the rules change. But surely by now you're able to find a bike? Need some help?
Which rule re biking has changed this time? What did I miss?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 11.01.2021, 08:41
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Which rule re biking has changed this time? What did I miss?
It has to do with new riders having to restrict their licensing, extending the process by a year or two. TBH, I didn't pay too much attention since I already have my license

Ah, here's an official link: https://www.verkehrsschule.ch/en/new...ike-from-2021/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 11.01.2021, 22:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
What were your last l upcycling projects then?
Modified a cast iron sewing machine base to store my vinyl - started to get back into playing records. I wanted to keep the base as unchanged as possible so it can easily be put back to its original purpose if, for example, I get a sudden urge to sew a frock. Most of the work was wire-brushing the rust off and polishing in the 'black lead'

The bigger project was chopping up an old wood-wormy harmonium to use as a 'cool shelf' - think this would look amazing in a bathroom. Cutting it all down and modifying the organ stops so they can still be pulled out took a bit of effort - along with the woodworm treatment, cleaning etc. Oh, and I put in some new 'vintage' wiring and remade the lamp fittings - it was a challenge as I found (probably from 80 years ago) they had used self-amalgamating rubber tape both for electrical isolation and as a means to fix the lamp-holders in place. Obviously doesn't meet current elec. standards but fun times to replace and refit with fresh tape.

I took a couple of pics but don't remember how to bung them on here, will have a look later and upload them for some constructive criticism (pun intended)

Tim
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Theoslimm for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 11.01.2021, 22:23
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Sewing a frock is amongst the best urges. I made 4 large alpaca hand-knit snowboard hats in chic pastel colors the other day for my gfs, another urge..Too bad I do not have many handy-man urges. I can't even remember where I put my dad's hammer somewhere around here.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12.01.2021, 10:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure about "organized", but I was able to use my connections to find her a bike - and she was lucky


And yes, that's the same story all over: people rushing to get their license before the rules change. But surely by now you're able to find a bike? Need some help?
Thanks, that's a very kind offer DD! Now I completed the Grunkurs I was thinking that the bike to 're-learn' on and take my test would be one that I would splash a little more cash on and keep for a while. I don't plan on getting a new bike (think that would be crazy for a Newbie like me) but a newer second hand with ABS. As I'm in Basel I was also looking at local places in Germany as well as Motoscout24. Again, as a newbie I'm in no rush to go out and get something to drive for the first time on winter roads - especially after skidding out on my part 3
As mentioned, I was looking at the Bonneville, but this is purely based on looks. I like the idea of going further and having weekends away, maybe camping, so comfort and good panniers might end up being more important than looks. Anyhow I should probably try a few and get a better feel before going for it... but want to wait for warmer weather (OK, I know I'm just a wimp)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Theoslimm for this useful post:
  #86  
Old 12.01.2021, 19:00
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, that's a very kind offer DD! Now I completed the Grunkurs I was thinking that the bike to 're-learn' on and take my test would be one that I would splash a little more cash on and keep for a while.

What would you think of something like the Suzuki SVF650? A bit too sporty?


Hmmm - maybe we should start a new thread
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 13.01.2021, 00:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
What would you think of something like the Suzuki SVF650? A bit too sporty?


Hmmm - maybe we should start a new thread
Thanks but not really my cup of tea. Yep maybe new 'choosing a bike' thread needed but I suspect could get busy...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 13.01.2021, 00:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Modified a cast iron sewing machine base to store my vinyl - started to get back into playing records. I wanted to keep the base as unchanged as possible so it can easily be put back to its original purpose if, for example, I get a sudden urge to sew a frock. Most of the work was wire-brushing the rust off and polishing in the 'black lead'

The bigger project was chopping up an old wood-wormy harmonium to use as a 'cool shelf' - think this would look amazing in a bathroom. Cutting it all down and modifying the organ stops so they can still be pulled out took a bit of effort - along with the woodworm treatment, cleaning etc. Oh, and I put in some new 'vintage' wiring and remade the lamp fittings - it was a challenge as I found (probably from 80 years ago) they had used self-amalgamating rubber tape both for electrical isolation and as a means to fix the lamp-holders in place. Obviously doesn't meet current elec. standards but fun times to replace and refit with fresh tape.

I took a couple of pics but don't remember how to bung them on here, will have a look later and upload them for some constructive criticism (pun intended)

Tim
Pics as promised....

Name:  harmonium.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  164.7 KB

Name:  Harmoinium shelf.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  Sewing machine base.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  202.4 KB

Name:  Record store.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  148.5 KB

Name:  Record store 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  150.6 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Theoslimm for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 13.01.2021, 09:58
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Wow - that's really impressive work
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 13.01.2021, 11:14
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Thanks for the pics, post 83 was a real teaser

Love the things you do, the ideas as well as the realization!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 13.01.2021, 21:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the pics, post 83 was a real teaser
My pleasure. To quote post 72...

Quote:
View Post
All good things come to those who wait
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude... ♫

IF ANYONE IN THE BASEL AREA NEEDS SOMETHING MENDING please message me. If I can help it would be my pleasure (if not, it's already broken right?)

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 13.01.2021, 22:36
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude... ♫

IF ANYONE IN THE BASEL AREA NEEDS SOMETHING MENDING please message me. If I can help it would be my pleasure (if not, it's already broken right?)

Tim
Someone broke into my garden shed a couple of years ago and mangled the metal arm mechanism for the window. I have yet to bother to fix it, but if you're really THAT bored....

Last edited by DantesDame; 13.01.2021 at 22:52.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 13.01.2021, 23:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Someone broke into my garden shed a couple of years ago and mangled the metal arm mechanism for the window. I have yet to bother to fix it, but if you're really THAT bored....

Oh, so that was your shed? ... by chance, I know just how to fix that
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 13.01.2021, 23:24
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Oh, so that was your shed? ... by chance, I know just how to fix that


Just look at what you did!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 14.01.2021, 00:54
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
My pleasure. To quote post 72...



But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude... ♫

IF ANYONE IN THE BASEL AREA NEEDS SOMETHING MENDING please message me. If I can help it would be my pleasure (if not, it's already broken right?)

Tim
Paul Simon? What exactly are you offering to mend?
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 14.01.2021, 21:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Just look at what you did!
Well it was dark! Next time you'll know to leave it open..

Quote:
View Post
Paul Simon? What exactly are you offering to mend?
Don't read anything into it, my head is a lyrical junkyard and the last thing I could fix is a broken heart.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 14.01.2021, 21:45
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 671 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Well it was dark! Next time you'll know to leave it open..
I actually never bothered to fix it - just bungeed it mostly shut (it is as weather-proof as it needs to be). I also put a note in the window, saying that there was nothing of value the last time it was broken into and nothing has changed, so don't bother breaking in again So far, so good!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 14.01.2021, 22:29
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit bored in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Don't read anything into it, my head is a lyrical junkyard and the last thing I could fix is a broken heart.
Well, the melody stuck to my mind from reading your post all the way to dreamland. Thankfully it was erased by morning.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New (and bored) in Basel HomoSapiens Introductions 26 27.01.2016 21:26
In Basel and bored ShaneFromCroydon Daily life 21 04.12.2014 11:29
bored in Basel db38 Introductions 23 04.12.2014 08:17
Bored in Basel Solkamy Daily life 4 29.04.2011 00:18
Teenagers new to Basel - bored! Julie Atherton Family matters/health 8 15.09.2010 12:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0