Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.07.2020, 12:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sevelen
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sojourner has no particular reputation at present
Settling In

Hello everyone

My family and I have recently moved from the Boston area to my wife's home town of Sevelen (a nice little town between Buchs and Sargans). Though I have been visiting my wife's family for a number of years, my 7 and 10 year old kids and I have have yet to master the language. It does not help that the extended family, including cousins of similar age to my kids, all speak more English than we speak Swiss! And, though we are getting along with the language, meeting other English speaking families in the area would be great too.



I will be posting a few questions in other forum areas that have shared interests (I am an electrical engineer with several hobbies). In particular, there are those things that need to be attended to as our stuff arrives and there seems to be a good bit of forum knowledge to tap into. It does not help for example that Amazon.de has many items listed but are either not available or not delivered to this region. You can expect me to ask a question or two shortly in what I hope is the appropriate area.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sojourner for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 13.07.2020, 13:03
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,739
Groaned at 148 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 6,846 Times in 2,687 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Settling In

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13.07.2020, 13:36
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,342
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 994 Times in 524 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Settling In

Welcome
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13.07.2020, 22:58
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,609
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,469 Times in 7,861 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Settling In

Welcome to Switzerland and EF.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.07.2020, 23:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sevelen
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sojourner has no particular reputation at present
Re: Settling In

Thanks, I look forward to settling in and eventually meeting a few of you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.07.2020, 09:14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 127
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 51 Posts
BostonToZurich is considered knowledgeableBostonToZurich is considered knowledgeableBostonToZurich is considered knowledgeable
Re: Settling In

Welcome to Switzerland from another Bostonian.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.07.2020, 09:16
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Cte
Posts: 1,170
Groaned at 92 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,168 Times in 553 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Settling In

Speaking Swiss is analogous to Swiss cheese, tells you nothing
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.07.2020, 09:39
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zri Unterland
Posts: 1,217
Groaned at 85 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 2,456 Times in 785 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Settling In

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone

My family and I have recently moved from the Boston area to my wife's home town of Sevelen (a nice little town between Buchs and Sargans). Though I have been visiting my wife's family for a number of years, my 7 and 10 year old kids and I have have yet to master the language. It does not help that the extended family, including cousins of similar age to my kids, all speak more English than we speak Swiss! And, though we are getting along with the language, meeting other English speaking families in the area would be great too.



I will be posting a few questions in other forum areas that have shared interests (I am an electrical engineer with several hobbies). In particular, there are those things that need to be attended to as our stuff arrives and there seems to be a good bit of forum knowledge to tap into. It does not help for example that Amazon.de has many items listed but are either not available or not delivered to this region. You can expect me to ask a question or two shortly in what I hope is the appropriate area.
Welcome! It's worth having a mailbox over the border in Germany for EU deliveries, it's saved me a ton of money over the years and there are plenty of things that are basically unobtainable otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.07.2020, 10:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sevelen
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sojourner has no particular reputation at present
Re: Settling In

Quote:
Welcome to Switzerland from another Bostonian
Speaking to another Bostonian, I have to say, that though we lived nearly out to the 495 loop where the roads were 'better', Swiss roads are immaculate! I am looking forward to cycling along the Rhine when our bikes arrive (1-2 more weeks).

Quote:
Speaking Swiss is analogous to Swiss cheese, tells you nothing
Hah! my wife is fond of telling me, 'but we don't use that word in my part of Switzerland'. It does not help that Duolingo is only high German.

Quote:
Welcome! It's worth having a mailbox over the border in Germany for EU deliveries, it's saved me a ton of money over the years and there are plenty of things that are basically unobtainable otherwise
I have heard this. Having been here on many past visits, I will say however that it is getting better

Again, thank you for the kind welcome
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Settling a cat mimi1981 Pet corner 26 21.09.2011 11:41
Settling in Switzerland Wakers Permits/visas/government 11 25.08.2011 09:49
After the excitement - settling in kfp Daily life 2 04.01.2011 19:12
Settling in lachic Complaints corner 11 12.11.2009 22:59
Settling in Puck Introductions 2 10.03.2008 18:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0