Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.02.2011, 01:01
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
German language variants [Map]

I was reading something on Standard German and Swiss High German when I came across this interesting map.




Source
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 05.02.2011, 01:15
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,867
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German language variants [Map]

I find it very interesting to see how the map shows the German influence has historically evolved from times of Reich and its expansion left German language speaking minorities practically all over the eastern Europe and parts of France. What I find a bit surprising though is that even some minor cities e.g. in Poland had their Germanic equivalents. I only knew of few like Warchau, Breslau, Danzig and so on and so forth. Same applies to other neighbouring countries. Never crossed my mind though that every city had it's own Deutsch original name. Perfectly planned invasion in detail
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa

Last edited by jacek; 05.02.2011 at 01:25.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.03.2011, 01:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 244 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 699 Times in 434 Posts
Bucentaure is considered a nuisanceBucentaure is considered a nuisanceBucentaure is considered a nuisance
Re: German language variants [Map]

Quote:
View Post
I find it very interesting to see how the map shows the German influence has historically evolved from times of Reich and its expansion left German language speaking minorities practically all over the eastern Europe and parts of France. What I find a bit surprising though is that even some minor cities e.g. in Poland had their Germanic equivalents. I only knew of few like Warchau, Breslau, Danzig and so on and so forth. Same applies to other neighbouring countries. Never crossed my mind though that every city had it's own Deutsch original name. Perfectly planned invasion in detail
Guess it's because these regions used to be German until 1945 for some 1000 years or longer. So of course every village has its German translation still, at least in German memory. But with the downfall of communism in 1989 also the Polish, Czechs ... get aware of their partly German history.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.03.2011, 05:21
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German language variants [Map]

Quote:
View Post
Guess it's because these regions used to be German until 1945 for some 1000 years or longer. So of course every village has its German translation still, at least in German memory. But with the downfall of communism in 1989 also the Polish, Czechs ... get aware of their partly German history.
It was 1947 for Sudetenland to be cleared off Germans in Czechoslovakia, but your post is correct. The boarder regions were some 95% German. People were painfully aware of all sorts of occupation and being annexed (be it Habsburgs, Russians, Prussians...), even before the revolution in 1989, though. Some places cultures peacefully coexisted, some places were a lot more turbulent.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.03.2011, 07:46
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,867
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German language variants [Map]

Quote:
View Post
Guess it's because these regions used to be German until 1945 for some 1000 years or longer. So of course every village has its German translation still, at least in German memory. But with the downfall of communism in 1989 also the Polish, Czechs ... get aware of their partly German history.
Here is the answer. The regions were part of historical Prussia, hence their Germanic names and minorities speaking German language can be found exactly in the same region shown on old maps.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you like to have Swiss German as an official language in place of High German? alessione Language corner 104 16.02.2015 15:46
German Language Book - Pimsleur Language, Good??? Mavis Language corner 7 18.11.2010 14:04
The newest language course – High-German and Swiss German combined! lotus82 Commercial 18 06.04.2010 17:00
German language school for 3 yr old rfk Language corner 2 11.08.2008 13:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0