Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02.10.2012, 11:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
fleurdebri has no particular reputation at present
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Hey there.

I'm an American in Lausanne (I have dual nationality). I'm from Colorado (where we have a 'neutral' accent) and would be more than willing to help you. PM me if you are still looking for someone.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02.10.2012, 11:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
Are you out of your mind

Have you ever heard the accents in America? Bostonians? New Yorkers? Southerners? Minnesota?

There are more accents of English is the US than most places. Have you ever tried to understand someone with a cajun accent?
Yes, I have experience of all these, and the variations between them are significant. But nothing like as much as the UK examples I quoted.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02.10.2012, 11:41
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
Yes, I have experience of all these, and the variations between them are significant. But nothing like as much as the UK examples I quoted.
Actually, this leads me to think that you've not experienced the variety of American accents quite as deeply as you'd have us believe.

Trust me - as someone who had the unfortunate experience of having to (try to) learn French from a woman with Tejana / Mexican accent while living in Cajun country... the accents make such things very tough, possibly as tough as trying to learn "proper" English (whether "posh" British or "classic" American) from someone with a Glaswegian accent.


Anyhow, my own accent is quite muddy, from all the different places I've lived. Hopefully some folks with solid accents can help out the OP.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 02.10.2012, 11:56
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,471
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,629 Times in 9,918 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
My wife is a Linguist and when I did tell her about this idea of one accent being better than another, she laughed.
Not better, but more useful if you are learning and then using.

See below:

Quote:
View Post

Trust me - as someone who had the unfortunate experience of having to (try to) learn French from a woman with Tejana / Mexican accent while living in Cajun country... the accents make such things very tough, possibly as tough as trying to learn "proper" English (whether "posh" British or "classic" American) from someone with a Glaswegian accent.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Next time I have a problem with my light fittings, I must remember to ask a plumber for advice...

To the OP: your request is entirely reasonable. American English is the most culturally and economically vital variant of the language, and is, therefore, by far the most useful unless you want to become a student of Shakespeare or learn how to whinge about the weather.

Some possible contacts include:

The University of Lausanne's English Dept: http://www.unil.ch/angl

Flying Teachers: http://www.flyingteachers.ch/

The American International Women's Club of Lausanne: http://www.aiwc-lausanne.org/

It is possible that none of these will be able to help you directly, but somebody amongst them should know someone who can. Be polite and persistent.

To the rest of you: when someone talks about "a British accent" in the context of language learning, it is clear they are talking about 'received pronunciation' ("BBC English" for the ignorant). Nobody is remotely interested in learning Scouse or Brummie or Manc. Get over it.

Likewise, when somebody talks about "an American accent", they are not talking about one of the myriad incomprehensible brogues spoken in Louisiana or the Appalachian Mountains or Hell's Kitchen. They are talking about this: General American (wikipedia)

HTH
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
Next time I have a problem with my light fittings, I must remember to ask a plumber for advice...

To the OP: your request is entirely reasonable. American English is the most culturally and economically vital variant of the language, and is, therefore, by far the most useful unless you want to become a student of Shakespeare or learn how to whinge about the weather.

Some possible contacts include:

The University of Lausanne's English Dept: http://www.unil.ch/angl

Flying Teachers: http://www.flyingteachers.ch/

The American International Women's Club of Lausanne: http://www.aiwc-lausanne.org/

It is possible that none of these will be able to help you directly, but somebody amongst them should know someone who can. Be polite and persistent.

To the rest of you: when someone talks about "a British accent" in the context of language learning, it is clear they are talking about 'received pronunciation' ("BBC English" for the ignorant). Nobody is remotely interested in learning Scouse or Brummie or Manc. Get over it.

Likewise, when somebody talks about "an American accent", they are not talking about one of the myriad incomprehensible brogues spoken in Louisiana or the Appalachian Mountains or Hell's Kitchen. They are talking about this: General American (wikipedia)

HTH
Welcome back DB.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:39
Bobbie Jean's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 72
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Bobbie Jean has no particular reputation at present
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever tried to understand someone with a cajun accent?
I was married to one for a few years. Sometimes trying to understand him was hilarious.

One time I came home from work and he wanted a "bub."

A what?

A bub.

A what???

A bub! A bub!!!

At which point he grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the ceiling fan, pointing to the light fixture...."A bub! A bub! A bub!!!!"

Oh. You mean a bulb.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:42
ThomasT's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Village
Posts: 732
Groaned at 30 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 569 Times in 286 Posts
ThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputation
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
So, are we having accents wars now?
I like the Alaskan accents. They sound so cozy.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02.10.2012, 14:10
Bobbie Jean's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 72
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Bobbie Jean has no particular reputation at present
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

My wife is a Linguist and when I did tell her about this idea of one accent being better than another, she laughed. (posted by d-g-)

Ever hear about a play called Pygmalion? A musical called My Fair Lady?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02.10.2012, 14:24
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,472
Groaned at 276 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 21,674 Times in 8,791 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Point of order. The received pronunciation is not an accent. It is the correct way of speaking, of which all other efforts are deviations.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 02.10.2012, 15:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 341
Groaned at 35 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 226 Times in 117 Posts
Juddernaut has earned the respect of manyJuddernaut has earned the respect of manyJuddernaut has earned the respect of many
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Choose one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

South African my fave
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Juddernaut for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 03.10.2012, 17:18
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
Are you out of your mind

Have you ever heard the accents in America? Bostonians? New Yorkers?
New England English - sooooooooo sexy ever mentioned MG's SIL is from there?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MacGregor's Daughter for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 03.10.2012, 20:36
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,239
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
My wife is a Linguist and when I did tell her about this idea of one accent being better than another, she laughed. (posted by d-g-)

Ever hear about a play called Pygmalion? A musical called My Fair Lady?
i believe what was funny was the argument that one accent is better than another- it's all relative to personal opinion and your own language background. much like one language being more difficult to learn than another, but that's another story.

anyway, anyone who is trained in teaching a language knows that in the classroom (or where ever) your own accent fades to become a more standardized version of the language itself. nobody teaches cockney (unless someone specifically wants to learn it) in the classroom just as i don't teach bronx borough vernacular. hahaha.

anyway- accents are wonderful, we all have them but of course for certain types of jobs, especially where phone conversations and public speaking are important, a strong accent can feel like, and at times, be a hinderance.

Quote:
View Post
New England English - sooooooooo sexy ever mentioned MG's SIL is from there?
i love the new england accent
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'

Last edited by amaraya; 03.10.2012 at 20:41. Reason: Merging of successive posts ( one can use the Multi Quote feature to avoid intervention )
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amaraya for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 03.10.2012, 21:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zug
Posts: 63
Groaned at 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 27 Posts
spangley has become a little unpopularspangley has become a little unpopular
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
Are you out of your mind

Have you ever heard the accents in America? Bostonians? New Yorkers? Southerners? Minnesota?

There are more accents of English is the US than most places. Have you ever tried to understand someone with a cajun accent?
In England you only have to drive 15 miles to hear a totally different accent....such as Bromsgrove (Worcestershire) to Dudley (Black Country)
In fact.....Black Country's almost a different language.... bostin ay it
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04.10.2012, 00:18
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,239
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
In England you only have to drive 15 miles to hear a totally different accent....such as Bromsgrove (Worcestershire) to Dudley (Black Country)
In fact.....Black Country's almost a different language.... bostin ay it
i can spot someone from queens by the accent and it's ten miles away. of course the same can be said in most places when you know them so well
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amaraya for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 04.10.2012, 11:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anraude has no particular reputation at present
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Thanks MusicChick, I'm very much interested. I tried to send you my contact details by email but it failed. Could you contact me, please?

PD: Btw, thank you all for your comments, I appreciate very much ;-)


Quote:
View Post
I know a great US teacher in Lausanne who is specialized in phonetics (and is also bilingual, anglophone/hispanic), OP - pm me, I will ask her if she has time and forward this link to her.

Otherwise, more exposure always help, films, online radios, books mp3 files.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04.10.2012, 15:16
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks MusicChick, I'm very much interested. I tried to send you my contact details by email but it failed. Could you contact me, please?

PD: Btw, thank you all for your comments, I appreciate very much ;-)
Hey, I have forwarded the link to the teacher I had in mind, she will contact you if she has the time.

Sorry, guys, my inbox was fed so well, I haven't had the chance to clean , all fixed now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 04.10.2012, 15:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American teacher for accent reduction in Lausanne?

A quick shower can help a treat in those situations.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for English Accent reduction training alvarpaz Other/general 11 20.01.2012 22:56
Yet another English accent in Lausanne :) Stewapau Introductions 3 10.12.2011 15:19
French lessons for accent in Lausanne nirak Language corner 3 26.12.2010 17:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0