Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.04.2010, 16:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bella4041 has no particular reputation at present
CELTA Certification

Hello All!
I am considering getting my CELTA certification, and was just wondering if anyone else has gone down that path, and if they feel it is worth the money. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.04.2010, 16:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,466
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
Hello All!
I am considering getting my CELTA certification, and was just wondering if anyone else has gone down that path, and if they feel it is worth the money. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thank you!
EF member Tolalala has just finished this course and found it very useful but quite demanding, though she did it in England not out here. I'm sure she won't mind you sending her a PM for her views on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.04.2010, 17:17
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,416
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,888 Times in 3,249 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CELTA Certification

A forum search on "CELTA" turns up 122 threads. I didn't read them all myself, but here's one off the first page that looks promising:
CELTA and job opportunities
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.04.2010, 17:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
lotus82 has no particular reputation at present
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
Hello All!
I am considering getting my CELTA certification, and was just wondering if anyone else has gone down that path, and if they feel it is worth the money. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thank you!
I would recommend doing a CELTA course. I went through Flying Teachers in Zürich and, although the one-month course is very intense, it was a great experience. I landed jobs at three different language schools right after getting my qualifications (only took two of the three on though). As you probably know, CELTA is the minimum qualification accepted by language schools in Switzerland (most other countries take on those with TEFL qualifications, but not here in Switzerland). If you're looking into a career teaching English, then CELTA is the best place to start. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.04.2010, 17:40
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
I would recommend doing a CELTA course. I went through Flying Teachers in Zürich and, although the one-month course is very intense, it was a great experience. I landed jobs at three different language schools right after getting my qualifications (only took two of the three on though). As you probably know, CELTA is the minimum qualification accepted by language schools in Switzerland (most other countries take on those with TEFL qualifications, but not here in Switzerland). If you're looking into a career teaching English, then CELTA is the best place to start. Hope that helps.
What was the cost in time and money for the intensive course?

Has anyone progress to SVEB I which I required to do by the end of the year. Is anyone doing this in English?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.04.2010, 17:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
lotus82 has no particular reputation at present
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
What was the cost in time and money for the intensive course?

Has anyone progress to SVEB I which I required to do by the end of the year. Is anyone doing this in English?
The course costs are steep (CHF 4,000) - that's with Flying Teachers, at any rate. You spend 8 hours a day there, Monday to Friday, then together with assignments (4 assignments) and planning lessons at home... basically you have no life for a month! Depending on how serious you are about it, most of your weekends during the 4 weeks will be spent doing assignments and planning future lessons.

I have also done the SVEB I at Flying Teachers - they run the course in English.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lotus82 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.04.2010, 17:49
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 871
Groaned at 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
The course costs are steep (CHF 4,000) - that's with Flying Teachers, at any rate. You spend 8 hours a day there, Monday to Friday, then together with assignments (4 assignments) and planning lessons at home... basically you have no life for a month! Depending on how serious you are about it, most of your weekends during the 4 weeks will be spent doing assignments and planning future lessons.

I have also done the SVEB I at Flying Teachers - they run the course in English.
Hi Lianne

What was the cost of the SVEB I as I have been quoted at 3.4K but get 50% off but to take advantage of this i'd have to really improve my German?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.04.2010, 19:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
nanners has made some interesting contributions
Re: CELTA Certification

Quote:
View Post
The course costs are steep (CHF 4,000) - that's with Flying Teachers, at any rate. You spend 8 hours a day there, Monday to Friday, then together with assignments (4 assignments) and planning lessons at home... basically you have no life for a month! Depending on how serious you are about it, most of your weekends during the 4 weeks will be spent doing assignments and planning future lessons.

I have also done the SVEB I at Flying Teachers - they run the course in English.
I was looking into FT as well for July. BUT are you allowed any absences at all? I know it's an intensive course but I have one or two days I know I will not be in ZH but cannot change them. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.09.2010, 23:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: neuchatel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
desert rose has no particular reputation at present
Re: CELTA Certification

Hello, I was thinking to do the Celta course in Bern does anyone have information about it. Their website doesnt give any info...please if anyone can help....appriciate it
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitness certification in English shari Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 3 26.08.2012 14:28
certification and language translation satya Language corner 2 07.03.2009 21:35
Powerboat Certification Rich Other/general 11 26.08.2008 15:51
Celta smt Other/general 1 16.03.2007 16:13
FISAF instructor certification shari Other/general 0 21.11.2006 11:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0