Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.10.2014, 19:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 63
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
EmaF has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

I would think you could at anytime, now it may affect the taxes you pay for the importation into the new country. Importing my car in France from Switzerland, i had to have owned it for a year in order not to pay the import tax of 20%. Otherwise, I could still have imported it but the cost would have been higher.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 23.10.2014, 14:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 14
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
brg2000 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Have you any information on the best\cheapest way to export and timing ? Where are you exporting to ? Looking to undergo similar process to US soon
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 26.09.2017, 11:41
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SZ
Posts: 100
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 28 Posts
etsius has earned some respectetsius has earned some respect
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

I want to export my car to Spain and give it to my father there because I have bought a new one here. I have a few questions about the process and maybe the common wisdom of EF can help me with this.

I intend to drive it all the way to San Sebastián (just accross the Spanish border) and my father will drive it from there. We have a problem here, that he is not supposed to be allowed to drive a Swiss car with a EU license, right? Or is that problem solved if I am the one crossing the border?

In case this is a problem, would it be solved with an Export license or, since the car would still be on my name, he would still not be allowed to drive it?

I also thought of changing the ownership to him when I order the Export license, but then, I am the one who could be in trouble in the borders and, in addition to this, he would not have been the owner for 6 months and, therefore, he would have to pay the VAT in Spain.

Any solutions that you can think about apart from destroying the car and forget that I ever had it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.09.2017, 12:18
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I want to export my car to Spain and give it to my father there because I have bought a new one here. I have a few questions about the process and maybe the common wisdom of EF can help me with this.

I intend to drive it all the way to San Sebastián (just accross the Spanish border) and my father will drive it from there. We have a problem here, that he is not supposed to be allowed to drive a Swiss car with a EU license, right? Or is that problem solved if I am the one crossing the border?

In case this is a problem, would it be solved with an Export license or, since the car would still be on my name, he would still not be allowed to drive it?

I also thought of changing the ownership to him when I order the Export license, but then, I am the one who could be in trouble in the borders and, in addition to this, he would not have been the owner for 6 months and, therefore, he would have to pay the VAT in Spain.

Any solutions that you can think about apart from destroying the car and forget that I ever had it?

Thanks!
You seem to be mixing several different things!

Whether he is allowed to drive it would be a question of insurance more than anything - does your Swiss insurance cover him, in Spain?

Did the 6 months bit come from the posts here about importing cars? It's quite likely Spain has a different set of rules for VAT on imports, the most important thing would probably be how it is calculated on used vehicles and how much you can choose the value yourself...

Export licenses generally apply to sensitive materials, I don't see why you would need one for a private car.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26.09.2017, 12:25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SZ
Posts: 100
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 28 Posts
etsius has earned some respectetsius has earned some respect
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
You seem to be mixing several different things!

Whether he is allowed to drive it would be a question of insurance more than anything - does your Swiss insurance cover him, in Spain?

Did the 6 months bit come from the posts here about importing cars? It's quite likely Spain has a different set of rules for VAT on imports, the most important thing would probably be how it is calculated on used vehicles and how much you can choose the value yourself...

Export licenses generally apply to sensitive materials, I don't see why you would need one for a private car.
Thank you newtoswitz. Actually if a person with a EU driver license tries to drive a car with a Swiss plate in the EU, this can happen to him: https://www.audisport-iberica.com/fo...omment=4878592

They will think that the driver is trying to smuggle the car in the EU.

What I don't know, is if once I have crossed the border, this problem is still there or nobody will complain about my father driving it anymore. Maybe I can do some paperwork in the customs to fix this

The 6 month period for the VAT seems to be the same in Spain, from memory, but I would have to double check this.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26.09.2017, 13:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,182
Groaned at 1,322 Times in 1,037 Posts
Thanked 27,793 Times in 13,274 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Whether he is allowed to drive it would be a question of insurance more than anything - does your Swiss insurance cover him, in Spain?
No reason that it wouldn't.

In Switzerland, the car is insured, not the driver.

Quote:
View Post
Export licenses generally apply to sensitive materials, I don't see why you would need one for a private car.
He means export plates, and yes, that is probably the best, as he has to hand his Swiss plates in anyway.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 27.09.2017, 16:01
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 8,869
Groaned at 72 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 13,116 Times in 5,880 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
They will think that the driver is trying to smuggle the car in the EU.

What I don't know, is if once I have crossed the border, this problem is still there or nobody will complain about my father driving it anymore. Maybe I can do some paperwork in the customs to fix this
Not the driving license is the issue (most people get this part wrong) the problem is that your father is a Spanish resident. He would have the very same problem if he had a Swiss driving license. Just that it is not so obvious to the police that something might be amiss.

And, yes if you do not declare the car at the Spanish border and do the right paperwork you are actually smuggling the car. Furthermore you may already hat to do some paperwork when you cross into France/EU-Customs region.

You cannot simply bring some valuable goods over the border which you do not intend to use as a tourist and bring back after a short time.
__________________
PLAYER 1 ENTER YOUR NAME:_
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03.08.2018, 12:26
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 8,869
Groaned at 72 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 13,116 Times in 5,880 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi Sarah, I know it's a long shot as it's been a while since you posted, but how did this work out in the end?
I do not understand the initial problem. You deregister the car in Switzerland, hand in the plates, then request export plates (they are valid 8-30 days, depending when in the month you get). With those you can drive to your contry of destination and have time to register the car.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 03.08.2018, 13:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: 1007 Lausanne
Posts: 7
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Kewin has become a little unpopularKewin has become a little unpopular
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I do not understand the initial problem. You deregister the car in Switzerland, hand in the plates, then request export plates (they are valid 8-30 days, depending when in the month you get). With those you can drive to your contry of destination and have time to register the car.
Thank you, do you know approximately how much you pay for such plates?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kewin for this useful post:
This user groans at Kewin for this post:
  #30  
Old 03.08.2018, 13:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 8,869
Groaned at 72 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 13,116 Times in 5,880 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, do you know approximately how much you pay for such plates?
Thanks
Approximatly? Do I look like an amateur? I know exactly how much: https://www.vd.ch/uploads/tx_vdfiles...rtation_03.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 19.08.2018, 09:37
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Italiano_vero has earned some respectItaliano_vero has earned some respect
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Sorry in advance for my confused question: when one exports his own car (being the owner in CH for longer than 6 months) to an EU country in his name does he have to pay import tax or just pay the costs of registering this car in the EU country?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19.08.2018, 09:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
shunor has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

This is dependent on your destination country, so you should check the regulation of this country (Italy?).
E.g. in Hungary you pay less tax if you have owned the Swiss car for more than 1 year. In Italy you may have completely other rules.


Quote:
View Post
Sorry in advance for my confused question: when one exports his own car (being the owner in CH for longer than 6 months) to an EU country in his name does he have to pay import tax or just pay the costs of registering this car in the EU country?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 19.08.2018, 10:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Italiano_vero has earned some respectItaliano_vero has earned some respect
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

So there is no common rule for every EU country?In Italy i would not need to pay import tax in my case but what would happen if after registering my car in Italy i decide to move to another EU country? Will I have to pay only registration fees in the new EU country or also import tax?Or again depends on the specific country?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13.09.2018, 10:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: graubunden
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lorand has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I do not understand the initial problem. You deregister the car in Switzerland, hand in the plates, then request export plates (they are valid 8-30 days, depending when in the month you get). With those you can drive to your contry of destination and have time to register the car.
Hi, that seem fairly simple. But in the swiss customs do i need to get some paperwork or once I got the export plates i simply drive to my country?

Also I heard a lot of discussions about having to pay 20/30% plus maybe other taxes?

I have a Ford focus worth rougly 6000chf.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13.09.2018, 10:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: graubunden
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lorand has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I do not understand the initial problem. You deregister the car in Switzerland, hand in the plates, then request export plates (they are valid 8-30 days, depending when in the month you get). With those you can drive to your contry of destination and have time to register the car.
Hi, that is fairly simple.But do I need to pay anything at the swiss border and/or get some paperwork or I simply drive to my country?

And probably i have to declare it at my countries border right?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14.09.2018, 07:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,182
Groaned at 1,322 Times in 1,037 Posts
Thanked 27,793 Times in 13,274 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exporting Car from Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Also I heard a lot of discussions about having to pay 20/30% plus maybe other taxes?
That depends on the laws of your country, and has nothing to do with Switzerland.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need info on exporting a cat from Switzerland to Australia longicorn Pet corner 2 26.08.2011 11:04
Exporting a car from CH to Russia Pops Leaving Switzerland 13 04.08.2011 16:59
Exporting a Motorbike from Switzerland to France Mark AC Transportation/driving 0 17.09.2009 11:13
Exporting a car from Germany to France Steve Fullard Transportation/driving 0 17.08.2009 21:16
Exporting Car to UK BritishBanker Transportation/driving 2 12.08.2007 12:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0