Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01.08.2015, 10:52
vrabbit's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
vrabbit has made some interesting contributions
Moving to the UK

Hi friends,

After almost 3 years in Switzerland, my fellow American partner and myself are high-tailing it to England for a new job. We are so bummed to leave but excited/apprehensive/stressed for our new home!

I also want to thank you all for how helpful this forum is. Strangely enough I can't find an equivalent for the UK! Even though we weren't as active as we should have been, I've been so grateful to peruse these forums for advice.

Speaking of, I have some questions about leaving that I couldn't find on the forum. I read the entire sticky, I promise!

Background: I just de-registered this week, but our leaving situation is a bit funny We leave in ~3 weeks for the US to get married, and when we return a couple weeks later in September, I will enter as a tourist and then the next day leave to the UK. We booked these tickets long ago and it was too expensive to change them from Zurich to London, and I was told by the border control it should be just fine.

My soon-to-be husband, on the other hand, will need to stay at least a couple of weeks longer in Switzerland. He has his own B permit, not connected to mine, and this will be fine.

My questions concern my de-reigstration: is it possible to send the de-registration confirmation to my insurance etc. AFTER I have left?

This is partly because the bank account and cell phone are in my name, and Mr. vrabbit will need those things while he's still here. I don't want to bother with changing names and the hassle that would be just for a few weeks.

Another thing is that if I cancel my insurance when I leave I will technically be without for the time we are in the US until I reach the UK, so that could be bad It would be convenient to also send the de-registration to them after I have left.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vrabbit for this useful post:
Old 01.08.2015, 14:21
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 351
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 123 Posts
AlreadyPacked has earned some respectAlreadyPacked has earned some respect
Re: Moving to the UK

1 year travel insurance.
Once you have deregistered insurance is not valid.
Reply With Quote

de-registration, leaving advice, leaving ch as expat, united kingdom

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone moving back to the UK and want a UK registered car to move? GetemBuck Transportation/driving 0 03.07.2013 08:57
Moving to the UK, want to buy a UK car in CH ? Simply_D General off-topic 2 28.03.2011 21:10
Moving cats to the UK evilshell Pet corner 26 05.03.2010 18:48
Moving back to the UK linwright Housing in general 3 27.01.2009 09:24
Moving to the UK Tex Willer Other/general 0 28.03.2007 18:35

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:47.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0