Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.03.2019, 17:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Is it possible to keep your bank accounts open after leaving?

I've asked around and most banks say no... but then... they don't come knocking on your door to see if you still live there.

Any thoughts on maintaining your accounts after leaving?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.03.2019, 18:00
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,694
Groaned at 845 Times in 578 Posts
Thanked 9,568 Times in 4,534 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Is it possible to keep your bank accounts open after leaving?

I've asked around and most banks say no... but then... they don't come knocking on your door to see if you still live there.

Any thoughts on maintaining your accounts after leaving?

You can do, but when they find out and they almost certainly will find out, the accounts get quickly closed. Various arbitrary expenses are levied by your bank for whatever reason and they then transfer any balance to where you ask it to be transferred (bank to bank) so if the money was undeclared it may give you a further headache.


Unless of course you have multi millions, then they will provide you with a very soft grade of toilet paper......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:05
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
You can do, but when they find out and they almost certainly will find out, the accounts get quickly closed. Various arbitrary expenses are levied by your bank for whatever reason and they then transfer any balance to where you ask it to be transferred (bank to bank) so if the money was undeclared it may give you a further headache.


Unless of course you have multi millions, then they will provide you with a very soft grade of toilet paper......
How will they find out?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:10
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 305 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,807 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
How will they find out?

Because you no longer live at the address where you were registered before?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,994
Groaned at 287 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 15,532 Times in 8,625 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Because you no longer live at the address where you were registered before?
Only if mail is not forwarded, long term mail forwarding is expensive so it's cheaper to pay the 30 CHF a month fees if you only have 1 bank.
As tax evasion is not a crime in CH they won't care on that front.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Because you no longer live at the address where you were registered before?
How often does your bank send someone to your address to check that you live there?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Only if mail is not forwarded, long term mail forwarding is expensive so it's cheaper to pay the 30 CHF a month fees if you only have 1 bank.
As tax evasion is not a crime in CH they won't care on that front.
Which bank has a 30CHF fee for international customers?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:38
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 305 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,807 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
How often does your bank send someone to your address to check that you live there?

Never, but they do send regular mail, don´t they? So better to set up mail forwarding or pay as FMF said.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Never, but they do send regular mail, don´t they? So better to set up mail forwarding or pay as FMF said.
Of course I get my mail forwarded. That's what I'm doing with the bank accounts I have in 3 other countries..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.03.2019, 10:54
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 305 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,807 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Well, with your nationality I´d pay and tell them my new address. If they find out you´re no longer in the country, they may well block your funds
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.03.2019, 11:29
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Well, with your nationality I´d pay and tell them my new address. If they find out you´re no longer in the country, they may well block your funds
This is based on the assumption that the bank lets you pay to live elsewhere?

My bank does not formally allow this. Which bank are you talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.03.2019, 11:36
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 305 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,807 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
This is based on the assumption that the bank lets you pay to live elsewhere?

My bank does not formally allow this. Which bank are you talking about?

What do you mean? A lot of banks allow you to keep your bank account even if you no longer live in that country and for that - with some banks - you pay more/a monthly fee
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.03.2019, 12:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
What do you mean? A lot of banks allow you to keep your bank account even if you no longer live in that country and for that - with some banks - you pay more/a monthly fee
I understand. So far I've asked at 3 banks, and 2 of them say no they don't do that, one of them say only if you have 500,000 CHF.

So my question is, which bank do you use which lets you keep your account open for 30 CHF/month.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.03.2019, 13:21
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,694
Groaned at 845 Times in 578 Posts
Thanked 9,568 Times in 4,534 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
How will they find out?
Who knows, a simple mistake, something you say, maybe never but also maybe they do and you’ll have to accept the consequences and charges with little to say, apart from, thakyou.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.03.2019, 14:06
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Formerly Vaud
Posts: 141
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 49 Posts
henrikh has made some interesting contributions
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
I understand. So far I've asked at 3 banks, and 2 of them say no they don't do that, one of them say only if you have 500,000 CHF.

So my question is, which bank do you use which lets you keep your account open for 30 CHF/month.
My account was at UBS.
They allowed me to keep my account after leaving CH, on an increased monthly fee, but I don't remember exactly how much it was.
But I think was it less than 30 CHF / month. Maybe 20 or 25. Not sure.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank henrikh for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 27.03.2019, 15:47
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,303
Groaned at 279 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,679 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
I understand. So far I've asked at 3 banks, and 2 of them say no they don't do that, one of them say only if you have 500,000 CHF.

So my question is, which bank do you use which lets you keep your account open for 30 CHF/month.
Quote:
View Post
My account was at UBS.
They allowed me to keep my account after leaving CH, on an increased monthly fee, but I don't remember exactly how much it was.
But I think was it less than 30 CHF / month. Maybe 20 or 25. Not sure.
Guys... those were the old days. In the last ten years have compliance people taken over banking. Paper work for non resident clients has quadrupled and a lot of small fish arent worth keeping. We were informed by our bank that they decided to cancelt our contract about a year and a half after we left the country. Fun fact: It was a staff account, the wife was actually still employed by that bank, just not in CH (!).

Swiss banking is by now something only for private banking clients. And since there is automatic exchange of information is there not much sense in keeping accounts around the world...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.03.2019, 16:02
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Formerly Vaud
Posts: 141
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 49 Posts
henrikh has made some interesting contributions
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Guys... those were the old days.
What I wrote before (I left CH and kept my account at UBS without any issue) was in 2017.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank henrikh for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 27.03.2019, 19:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,994
Groaned at 287 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 15,532 Times in 8,625 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Which bank has a 30CHF fee for international customers?
Post finance & Credit Agricole. Credit Agricole is about the only option if you don't live in CH & want an account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 27.03.2019, 21:54
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Guys... those were the old days. In the last ten years have compliance people taken over banking. Paper work for non resident clients has quadrupled and a lot of small fish arent worth keeping. We were informed by our bank that they decided to cancelt our contract about a year and a half after we left the country. Fun fact: It was a staff account, the wife was actually still employed by that bank, just not in CH (!).

Swiss banking is by now something only for private banking clients. And since there is automatic exchange of information is there not much sense in keeping accounts around the world...
Eh, I personally know people who make 30k a month and pay no taxes, although their money isn't in a Swiss bank, it's somewhere else. Tax evasion isn't dead, it's just stepped up.

Also not everyone wants a separate bank account to evade taxes. You might want to keep your money offshore to protect yourself from civil lawsuits.

Personally, part of my incentive is just the novelty of a swiss banking account, and facilitation of international transfers.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Feyr for this post:
  #20  
Old 27.03.2019, 22:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,032
Groaned at 85 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,761 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss bank accounts after leaving

Quote:
View Post
Personally, part of my incentive is just the novelty of a swiss banking account, and facilitation of international transfers.
You were told earlier in the thread that the main obstacle is your nationality, and to be frank, I fail to see any novelty in having a Swiss bank account. It's not as if it's a numbered Swiss account, and your savings would a hell of a lot more interest elsewhere.

My partner kept his Swiss accounts open for over 3yrs after he left, and changed his address to the UK with them. Mind you, they were also his employer. 6mths after he closed his accounts, we moved back here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping a Swiss bank account after moving home to US (FATCA/FBAR question) weihnachten Finance/banking/taxation 2 09.07.2018 02:41
Leaving Switzerland - keeping the bank account gsasha Leaving Switzerland 48 18.03.2018 16:30
Keeping Swiss German after leaving pronetowonder Language corner 9 21.02.2018 17:34
Bank accounts : leaving Switzerland kiwii Finance/banking/taxation 21 27.07.2017 19:49
Keeping Swiss credit cards and bank account when leaving evilshell Leaving Switzerland 11 10.05.2010 16:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0