Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.06.2019, 09:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthy
Downsides to de-registering???

Good day. We are in negotiations for a move to another EU country. I am currently a stay at home mum and in summer I usually take my son to our home in Italy for the whole summer.
I was thinking of de-registering seen as we wonít be using the health insurance and we will be gone for 3 months. We might be back for a few weeks but living in a different city before we relocate. Are there any downsides to de-registering and cancelling my and my sonís health insurance? We are EU passport holders and B permit holders so we get free healthcare in EU anyway and my health insurer basically has mostly rejected any overseas claims.
Thank you for any advice you can offer. I searched the forum but the threads I found are quite old.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.06.2019, 09:46
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,373
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,087 Times in 9,314 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

But would that mean you wouldn't be officially "resident" anywhere if you de-register from here?

Swiss health insurance should entitle you to all healthcare except elected procedures so you should be covered for illness and accident (from the accident insurance). Personally I wouldn't risk it. Being non-resident anywhere will just cause issues if you need health treatment, regardless of what your passport situation is.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.06.2019, 10:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthy
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
But would that mean you wouldn't be officially "resident" anywhere if you de-register from here?

Swiss health insurance should entitle you to all healthcare except elected procedures so you should be covered for illness and accident (from the accident insurance). Personally I wouldn't risk it. Being non-resident anywhere will just cause issues if you need health treatment, regardless of what your passport situation is.
I am not worried about the Italian side - just wondering about the implications in CH. Is there something I haven’t thought of? For when I need to come back? In EU countries EU citizens get healthcare for free or minimal cost irrespective of where you are resident. I can reside there no problem. And my swiss insurance always disputed what charges I had overseas- so I have discovered it is ‘at their discretion’.

Last edited by Cckl; 26.06.2019 at 10:50.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.06.2019, 10:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,531
Groaned at 298 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 9,137 Times in 4,626 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
In EU countries EU citizens get healthcare for free or minimal cost irrespective of where you are resident. I can reside there no problem. And my swiss insurance always disputed what charges I had overseas- so I have discovered it is Ďat their discretioní.

So you will officially live in Italy? Then you can deregister and have access to emergency health care in Switzerland.


If you do not register in Italy or anywhere else, you have in principle no access to any health care without paying for it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 26.06.2019, 10:38
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Good day. We are in negotiations for a move to another EU country. I am currently a stay at home mum and in summer I usually take my son to our home in Italy for the whole summer.
I was thinking of de-registering seen as we wonít be using the health insurance and we will be gone for 3 months. We might be back for a few weeks but living in a different city before we relocate. Are there any downsides to de-registering and cancelling my and my sonís health insurance? We are EU passport holders and B permit holders so we get free healthcare in EU anyway and my health insurer basically has mostly rejected any overseas claims.
Thank you for any advice you can offer. I searched the forum but the threads I found are quite old.
You will likely have to pay the 3 months health insurance as you are covered for 3 months tourism unless you can prove you are covered in the new country of residence.
Having an EU passport does not give you free health care in the EU, I paid over Ä20,000 in France following an accident. I have a UK passport.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 26.06.2019, 10:40
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
In EU countries EU citizens get healthcare for free or minimal cost irrespective of where you are resident. I can reside there no problem. And my swiss insurance always disputed what charges I had overseas- so I have discovered it is Ďat their discretioní.
That is incorrect, you have to be covered by social security in your country of residence.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.06.2019, 10:45
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,373
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,087 Times in 9,314 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
In EU countries EU citizens get healthcare for free or minimal cost irrespective of where you are resident. I can reside there no problem. And my swiss insurance always disputed what charges I had overseas- so I have discovered it is Ďat their discretioní.
Depends what it was they were treating you for. I've had all treatment which was regarded as a spontaneous emergency (everything from minor accidents to ear infection to food poisoning), and it was refunded without question.

If you went abroad intentionally for a procedure without getting the go ahead from your insurance first then it would explain their dispute.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.06.2019, 11:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,789
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,673 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

I'm interested: why do you think you will be covered automatically in Italy, even though you will be neither resident there, nor insured there? How would that work?


You also write that, after the stay in Italy, you will once again be staying in Switzerland for a while. You will then once again need Swiss medical insurance.


Deregistering from an insurance that will cover you and your son for all emergencies, and then potentially having no cover at all, seems to me to be entering a considerable risk for both your safety, just for the sake of wanting to save a few months' premiums.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.06.2019, 11:35
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,107
Groaned at 105 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,163 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
In EU countries EU citizens get healthcare for free or minimal cost irrespective of where you are resident.
Only if you have a health insurance card issued by a member state. You will no longer have a Swiss one, so will Italy issue you one without you moving there?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:01
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Only if you have a health insurance card issued by a member state. You will no longer have a Swiss one, so will Italy issue you one without you moving there?
The OP has an EHIC card issued by Switzerland, so will need to pay for 3 months unless covered elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthy
Wow lots of assumptions! I have a healthcare card from italy and am a tax payer there and home owner. I already know I am covered in Italy. I am merely asking about the Swiss side. Anybody have any useful ideas?

Quote:
View Post
So you will officially live in Italy? Then you can deregister and have access to emergency health care in Switzerland.


If you do not register in Italy or anywhere else, you have in principle no access to any health care without paying for it.
Roegner thanks for your useful comment. So when I return it would be as a tourist for maximum of two weeks. I was thinking that I would just get travel insurance for medical emergencies. What do you think?

Last edited by 3Wishes; 26.06.2019 at 14:02. Reason: merging consecutive replies to keep the thread tidy
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cckl for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Wow lots of assumptions! I have a healthcare card from italy and am a tax payer there and home owner. I already know I am covered in Italy. I am merely asking about the Swiss side. Anybody have any useful ideas?
You are resident in Switzerland so it would be fraudulent to use your Italian card. If they work it out they will bill you later
Quote:
View Post
Roegner thanks for your useful comment. So when I return it would be as a tourist for maximum of two weeks. I was thinking that I would just get travel insurance for medical emergencies. What do you think?
Travel insurance just gets you home & let social security take over, they don't ever pay out very much despite giving limits on many millions. The really low price is for a reason.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:48
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,373
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,087 Times in 9,314 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Roegner thanks for your useful comment. So when I return it would be as a tourist for maximum of two weeks. I was thinking that I would just get travel insurance for medical emergencies. What do you think?
So with the additional information you have provided you could just deregister here as you are covered in Italy for healthcare when you are there. Your EHIC would cover emergency treatment but you could take out travel insurance coverage just in case when you travel outside of Italy.

Coming back to Switzerland for two weeks as a tourist wouldn't require you to register nor take out health insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
So with the additional information you have provided you could just deregister here as you are covered in Italy for healthcare when you are there. Your EHIC would cover emergency treatment but you could take out travel insurance coverage just in case when you travel outside of Italy.

Coming back to Switzerland for two weeks as a tourist wouldn't require you to register nor take out health insurance.
The OP would not appear to be entitled to the Italian EHIC card which should have been returned on becoming Swiss resident.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 26.06.2019, 12:55
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 10,393
Groaned at 122 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 14,840 Times in 6,533 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Wow lots of assumptions! I have a healthcare card from italy and am a tax payer there and home owner. I already know I am covered in Italy. I am merely asking about the Swiss side. Anybody have any useful ideas?
So you are saying you are currently resident in both Italy and Switzerland?
And you have a EHIC card for Italy too.
That is not allowed.

Or do you mean you have private cover in Italy?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 26.06.2019, 13:13
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,101
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 14,072 Times in 6,511 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
So you are saying you are currently resident in both Italy and Switzerland?
And you have a EHIC card for Italy too.
That is not allowed.

Or do you mean you have private cover in Italy?
I think the OP has fallen into the trap thinking that because they own property in one country and reside in another, they can zip back and forth and use both healthcare systems with ease. Or they think owning property also makes them resident in Italy at the same time as CH.

I don't know, maybe Italy doesn't make you register like Switzerland does? Maybe it's not legally or morally right but it still works unless OP gets caught due to an expensive medical issue?

One downside of de-registering: You reset the clock for applying for Swiss citizenship, and possibly for C permit. Maybe you don't care but your son might be interested later.

Another possible downside: How much does it cost to de-register and then re-register over and over? I suppose it's cheaper than insurance premiums but still, it seems like quite a hassle.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 26.06.2019, 13:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthy
Quote:
View Post
So with the additional information you have provided you could just deregister here as you are covered in Italy for healthcare when you are there. Your EHIC would cover emergency treatment but you could take out travel insurance coverage just in case when you travel outside of Italy.

Coming back to Switzerland for two weeks as a tourist wouldn't require you to register nor take out health insurance.
Thanks Soundgrounder. My Italian Accountant says I should register for residency there. As we have not firmed up the plans for our move yet I wanted to understand that if there are other implications and explaining that healthcare is not an issue.

Quote:
View Post
You are resident in Switzerland so it would be fraudulent to use your Italian card. If they work it out they will bill you later


Travel insurance just gets you home & let social security take over, they don't ever pay out very much despite giving limits on many millions. The really low price is for a reason.
Be careful making assumptions about people online. Your comments can be easily construed as defamatory according to Swiss law. I donít appreciate your assumptions about me.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 26.06.2019 at 14:03. Reason: merging consecutive replies to keep the thread tidy
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Cckl for this post:
  #18  
Old 26.06.2019, 13:31
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 10,393
Groaned at 122 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 14,840 Times in 6,533 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Be careful making assumptions about people online. Your comments can be easily construed as defamatory according to Swiss law. I don’t appreciate your assumptions about me.
Maybe if you actually provided all the relevant information people wouldn’t have to make assumptions about you? How do you expect people to be able to give you a useful answer to your question if they don’t know all the facts.
Drip feeding bits and pieces of information is not really very helpful.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 26.06.2019, 13:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthyCckl is considered unworthy
Quote:
View Post
I think the OP has fallen into the trap thinking that because they own property in one country and reside in another, they can zip back and forth and use both healthcare systems with ease. Or they think owning property also makes them resident in Italy at the same time as CH.

I don't know, maybe Italy doesn't make you register like Switzerland does? Maybe it's not legally or morally right but it still works unless OP gets caught due to an expensive medical issue?

One downside of de-registering: You reset the clock for applying for Swiss citizenship, and possibly for C permit. Maybe you don't care but your son might be interested later.

Another possible downside: How much does it cost to de-register and then re-register over and over? I suppose it's cheaper than insurance premiums but still, it seems like quite a hassle.
No I would have to register there but am not asking about that as I have done it before many times and I understand the impact. I want to understand the implications on the Swiss side. Am not bothered about the passport.

Quote:
View Post
I think the OP has fallen into the trap thinking that because they own property in one country and reside in another, they can zip back and forth and use both healthcare systems with ease. Or they think owning property also makes them resident in Italy at the same time as CH.

I don't know, maybe Italy doesn't make you register like Switzerland does? Maybe it's not legally or morally right but it still works unless OP gets caught due to an expensive medical issue?

One downside of de-registering: You reset the clock for applying for Swiss citizenship, and possibly for C permit. Maybe you don't care but your son might be interested later.

Another possible downside: How much does it cost to de-register and then re-register over and over? I suppose it's cheaper than insurance premiums but still, it seems like quite a hassle.
If I register there I must de-register here. Thatís how it works. I am definitely leaving CH and not bothered about the passport or anything like that. But once you de-register you have to cancel the health insurance. I am explaining that am not worried about healthcare whilst I am leaving in Italy.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 26.06.2019 at 14:03. Reason: merging consecutive replies to keep the thread tidy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.06.2019, 15:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,847
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,257 Times in 8,478 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Downsides to de-registering???

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Soundgrounder. My Italian Accountant says I should register for residency there. As we have not firmed up the plans for our move yet I wanted to understand that if there are other implications and explaining that healthcare is not an issue.



Be careful making assumptions about people online. Your comments can be easily construed as defamatory according to Swiss law. I donít appreciate your assumptions about me.
Neither I nor the forums servers are in Switzerland, since you seem to be making assumptions.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
De Registering Sue Matthews Leaving Switzerland 40 25.10.2018 17:19
De-registering then re-registering...residence permit question elgifford Permits/visas/government 3 12.02.2015 12:34
De-registering SFORelo Permits/visas/government 2 02.05.2014 12:09
de-registering graciella Leaving Switzerland 3 25.04.2011 17:13
De-registering - what do I need to know? Gav Finance/banking/taxation 1 11.05.2007 11:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0