Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.10.2019, 09:44
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

As I am leaving Switzerland to move to Germany, I contacted Swica to ask them until what date my health insurance will be valid. I was told that my coverage expires on the day I leave as per my leaving certificate (Abmeldebestätigung). While I will get new insurance when I arrive in Germany, this may take a few days to organise and I am wondering what happens if I have an accident in the meantime? I had hoped that my Swica insurance would cover me for long enough to get my german health cover organised. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there any type of "bridging" insurance available?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.10.2019, 10:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
wizzard has no particular reputation at present
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

You can always get a private one for as long as you want... It's not very expensive and covers everything.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.10.2019, 10:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 474
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 113 Times in 79 Posts
higgsboson has made some interesting contributions
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
As I am leaving Switzerland to move to Germany, I contacted Swica to ask them until what date my health insurance will be valid. I was told that my coverage expires on the day I leave as per my leaving certificate (Abmeldebestätigung). While I will get new insurance when I arrive in Germany, this may take a few days to organise and I am wondering what happens if I have an accident in the meantime? I had hoped that my Swica insurance would cover me for long enough to get my german health cover organised. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there any type of "bridging" insurance available?
I don't have the experience, but maybe a travel insurance product like that of Allianz? At least you can give them a call: https://www.allianz-assistance.ch/en/travel-insurance/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.10.2019, 11:18
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,848
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,451 Times in 5,599 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
You can always get a private one for as long as you want... It's not very expensive and covers everything.

You´re kidding? You mean travel insurance probably. That doesn´t cover everything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.10.2019, 12:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
wizzard has no particular reputation at present
Merging posts

Last edited by roegner; 18.10.2019 at 12:15. Reason: Merging posts
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.10.2019, 13:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,742
Groaned at 316 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 16,892 Times in 9,278 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
As I am leaving Switzerland to move to Germany, I contacted Swica to ask them until what date my health insurance will be valid. I was told that my coverage expires on the day I leave as per my leaving certificate (Abmeldebestätigung). While I will get new insurance when I arrive in Germany, this may take a few days to organise and I am wondering what happens if I have an accident in the meantime? I had hoped that my Swica insurance would cover me for long enough to get my german health cover organised. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there any type of "bridging" insurance available?
As you are leaving for an EU country you are covered for 90 days as a tourist with the EHIC card you hold, Swica should charge you for 3 further months unless you can show you are insured in your new country.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 18.10.2019, 13:15
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,742
Groaned at 316 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 16,892 Times in 9,278 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
You´re kidding? You mean travel insurance probably. That doesn´t cover everything.
Exactly, travel insurance will just repatriate you to your home country if you have something serious, they never pay out the multi millions they claim you are covered for !
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.10.2019, 13:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,690
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,229 Times in 3,819 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
As you are leaving for an EU country you are covered for 90 days as a tourist with the EHIC card you hold, Swica should charge you for 3 further months unless you can show you are insured in your new country.
Do you mean "a maximum of" 3 further months, beyond the date of the leaving certificate (Abmeldebestätigung)?

Is Swica obliged to keep him insured, if that's what he wants?

If OP leaves on, say, 31st October, and registers in Germany on 1st November, and it takes, say, a week to sort out his medical insurance in Germany, then is there a way that he can get himself released from paying the new German premiums AND the Swica premiums, right away?

Can he choose, if he likes his Swica insurance conditions better than those he can buy in Germany, to continue with his Swica insurance? For 3 months? Indefinitely?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.10.2019, 13:38
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,742
Groaned at 316 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 16,892 Times in 9,278 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
Do you mean "a maximum of" 3 further months, beyond the date of the leaving certificate (Abmeldebestätigung)?

Is Swica obliged to keep him insured, if that's what he wants?

If OP leaves on, say, 31st October, and registers in Germany on 1st November, and it takes, say, a week to sort out his medical insurance in Germany, then is there a way that he can get himself released from paying the new German premiums AND the Swica premiums, right away?

Can he choose, if he likes his Swica insurance conditions better than those he can buy in Germany, to continue with his Swica insurance? For 3 months? Indefinitely?
Swica has to keep him covered for 3 months as they have issued an EHIC card, if they choose not to collect premiums it's their look out. It all depends on the rules in Germany for new arrivals getting cover.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 18.10.2019, 18:01
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

I will get insurance cover in Germany as soon as I can but am just concerned about having an accident before I take out that cover
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 18.10.2019, 18:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,742
Groaned at 316 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 16,892 Times in 9,278 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance

Quote:
View Post
I will get insurance cover in Germany as soon as I can but am just concerned about having an accident before I take out that cover
Then don't attempt to cancel your existing policy untill you have your new insurance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving for Canada - swiss health insurance valid 3 months? lawfrench Leaving Switzerland 11 15.08.2018 10:44
Leaving CH: Refunded Health Insurance monthly premiums from departure date happychick Insurance 10 08.11.2016 14:07
Received debt letters for unpaid health insurance after leaving CH. Help! janetd Insurance 9 05.01.2016 07:58
Leaving CH, Flat health insurance etc. fatmanfilms Daily life 45 20.11.2014 23:46
One original question about health insurance and leaving the country lewton Insurance 3 20.11.2013 22:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0