Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Leaving Switzerland  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12.10.2020, 18:04
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,652
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,114 Times in 6,845 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

The problem in Munich is not only the flat-rents but the availability. 2018 (no more recent numbers available it seems) the "Wohnungsleerstand" in Munich was 0.2%. I bet those few were not the cheap ones either.

As to retirement: Imo one can't live their life due to the retirement plan. Unless of course the retirement is more important than life. Not a good idea, I've known people (several!) who had all these plans for the time of retirement and never got there! Not to mention that all this sh** keeps changing and what I was promised when I started it all already is outdated (and guess to who's disadvantage) and might be inexistent by the time I need it.

So go for what ever your heart desires. You can research the "best" retirement plans if you like and install them. And do.not.lose. your AHV card ever - it might grant you the best part of your pension. No need to stay here though if it doesn't feel right. Just look after it better than you look after your passport.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13.10.2020, 01:06
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 971
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 930 Times in 429 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Hey, I have been commuting between CH and Munich for a few months now.


Some thoughts:
The housing market is no joke. I have not yet found a flat, even 1.5h outside of the city center, which I could afford long-term without using up what I have set aside.
I heard of a guy who was taking a night train out, and back into the city, every night, in order to have a place to sleep, and it was still cheaper than a room.
Also, according to German law, you are not allowed to live in hotels for longer than 3 months. And you have something like 2 weeks to register with an address where they can reach you and send you bills.


Most days I end up working until 23h-midnight because there is just nothing to do outside of work. All food shops but a gas station close before I'd normally leave work. Going into the city centre takes about an hour by metro, and there's not much more to do there. Everything is closed in the evening. My first evening there I was looking for a pharmacy after work, no luck. In the whole city. Found some food at the main train station which had one shop which was open until 22h. It might be a big city but Zurich feels so much more cosmopolitan to me in that aspect!



They have some nice food and friendly people


If you have a car, don't forget that you need a TÜV sticker to drive around the city centre.



The way of communicating is... quite different from the places I've lived in so far. Not sure if I'll get used to it.


And they have many more restaurant options than we have here, which is quite nice!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13.10.2020, 08:11
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,901
Groaned at 191 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 1,875 Times in 924 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
The way of communicating is... quite different from the places I've lived in so far. Not sure if I'll get used to it.
care to elaborate on that?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13.10.2020, 13:35
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 971
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 930 Times in 429 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
care to elaborate on that?

Very upfront and direct, at least business-related (please keep in mind that this is only from one person, with a mere few months of experience).
I had a few e-mails, from clients and from colleagues, which went:
"Hello Squeeeez,
You need to do this, this, this and this.
Bye,
Name"


and for someone who is more used to a latin way of communication, or even US/international/whatever international really means, it can be a slight shock. No reasons mentioned, no polite fluffiness, no nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13.10.2020, 14:26
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 298 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 22,257 Times in 8,084 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

I know that there are a lot of things to consider... but supermarket opening times? Really? The Edeka at the main station opens from 07.00 to 23.00... except of Sundays where it opens from 08.00 to 23.00. How much longer would you need? How is that worse than Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 13.10.2020, 14:47
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,652
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,114 Times in 6,845 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
Very upfront and direct, at least business-related (please keep in mind that this is only from one person, with a mere few months of experience).
I had a few e-mails, from clients and from colleagues, which went:
"Hello Squeeeez,
You need to do this, this, this and this.
Bye,
Name"


and for someone who is more used to a latin way of communication, or even US/international/whatever international really means, it can be a slight shock. No reasons mentioned, no polite fluffiness, no nothing.
LOL. That could have been an email from me.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 14.10.2020, 12:55
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 971
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 930 Times in 429 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
I know that there are a lot of things to consider... but supermarket opening times? Really? The Edeka at the main station opens from 07.00 to 23.00... except of Sundays where it opens from 08.00 to 23.00. How much longer would you need? How is that worse than Switzerland?

Maybe it is just the size of the city maybe I am biased. Those are my first impressions after a few months, and I thought they might be useful for Ato.


Basically if I wanted to travel from Frauenfeld to Zurich main station to go shopping there, it would still be faster, and only slightly more expensive, than going from my workplace in the Munich suburbs to the edeka at the main station. But clearly a few million people live like this and have no problem whatsoever I did notice that all my coworkers are married, though, and their wife will do the shopping during the day, while they are at work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Squeeeez for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 14.10.2020, 13:12
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 298 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 22,257 Times in 8,084 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it is just the size of the city maybe I am biased. Those are my first impressions after a few months, and I thought they might be useful for Ato.


Basically if I wanted to travel from Frauenfeld to Zurich main station to go shopping there, it would still be faster, and only slightly more expensive, than going from my workplace in the Munich suburbs to the edeka at the main station. But clearly a few million people live like this and have no problem whatsoever I did notice that all my coworkers are married, though, and their wife will do the shopping during the day, while they are at work.
I assumed you work in the center... I live in a village across the Luxembourg border into Germany and the local Kaufland opens from 6.30 to 22.00. Compared to Switzerland is that an absolute luxury.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 14.10.2020, 13:44
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,921 Times in 799 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Thanks for all the information people.

Quote:
View Post
The problem in Munich is not only the flat-rents but the availability. 2018 (no more recent numbers available it seems) the "Wohnungsleerstand" in Munich was 0.2%. I bet those few were not the cheap ones either.
From talking to a few different people I've come to the same conclusion, I'll need to spend a while looking. The company has offerred 2 months accommodation at the start which gives a bit of a buffer.

Quote:
View Post
Hey, I have been commuting between CH and Munich for a few months now.

Most days I end up working until 23h-midnight because there is just nothing to do outside of work. All food shops but a gas station close before I'd normally leave work. Going into the city centre takes about an hour by metro, and there's not much more to do there. Everything is closed in the evening. My first evening there I was looking for a pharmacy after work, no luck. In the whole city. Found some food at the main train station which had one shop which was open until 22h. It might be a big city but Zurich feels so much more cosmopolitan to me in that aspect!

They have some nice food and friendly people

If you have a car, don't forget that you need a TÜV sticker to drive around the city centre.

The way of communicating is... quite different from the places I've lived in so far. Not sure if I'll get used to it.

And they have many more restaurant options than we have here, which is quite nice!
I'm not sure is there less to do in the evenings, for my interests there appears to be things planned to be on, but of course at the moment covid is disrupting a lot of things.
Didn't know about the TüV sticker, car is a 2016 so it should be at least a euro 5.
As far as direct communication goes, I think having lived in the Netherlands I think the Germans appear a little more polite.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it is just the size of the city maybe I am biased. Those are my first impressions after a few months, and I thought they might be useful for Ato.


Basically if I wanted to travel from Frauenfeld to Zurich main station to go shopping there, it would still be faster, and only slightly more expensive, than going from my workplace in the Munich suburbs to the edeka at the main station. But clearly a few million people live like this and have no problem whatsoever I did notice that all my coworkers are married, though, and their wife will do the shopping during the day, while they are at work.
There's a supermarket beside work so it shouldn't be an issue to acquire the relevant sustenance on a regular timely basis!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 14.10.2020, 14:19
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 298 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 22,257 Times in 8,084 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

I really think there are a lot of factors to consider from job outlook to taxes to pay to real estate. But are we really discussing the nightlife of any European city compared to Switzerland?!

As the people of Vienna tend to say “Zurich is bigger than our central cemetery but definitely less lively”...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 14.10.2020, 14:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Posts: 361
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 123 Posts
logo123 is considered knowledgeablelogo123 is considered knowledgeablelogo123 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
Very upfront and direct, at least business-related (please keep in mind that this is only from one person, with a mere few months of experience).
I had a few e-mails, from clients and from colleagues, which went:
"Hello Squeeeez,
You need to do this, this, this and this.
Bye,
Name"


and for someone who is more used to a latin way of communication, or even US/international/whatever international really means, it can be a slight shock. No reasons mentioned, no polite fluffiness, no nothing.
Well.....if someone wrote an email to me saying 'Hello Squeeeez', I would be putty in their hands...... :-).
As they say, you had me at Squeeez.....
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03.12.2020, 19:15
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,652
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,114 Times in 6,845 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

So, Munich it is?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04.12.2020, 00:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 12 Posts
Katerina Nick is considered knowledgeableKaterina Nick is considered knowledgeableKaterina Nick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zürich to Munich

(I've apparently lost the ability to "thank"...)

The link to https://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/ was a huge help - thanks a lot Komsomolez...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04.12.2020, 00:20
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,652
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,114 Times in 6,845 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
(I've apparently lost the ability to "thank"...)

The link to https://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/ was a huge help - thanks a lot Komsomolez...
What is Steuerklasse 3? Or any number, what are the criteria?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04.12.2020, 08:42
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,500
Groaned at 353 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 12,733 Times in 6,063 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
What is Steuerklasse 3? Or any number, what are the criteria?
Married, one person working

1 is single
2 is single with child (I think)
4 is 2 married persons both working and similar salaries
5 is 2 married persons both working and the lower earning person gets hit by huge taxes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 04.12.2020, 08:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Horgen District
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Colorado has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
What is Steuerklasse 3? Or any number, what are the criteria?
Steuerklasse 3 is if you are married and your spouse would then get 5. You will be in Steuerklasse 1. Here is an article explaining it:

https://www.expatrio.com/living-germ...man-tax-system

You need to really look into what you plan to do for health insurance. You are technically above the salary that allows you go to for private health insurance. It is a lot less expensive in your age but could get pretty bad in case you marry and have children or get older. I would do my research into it. I have 2 friends that managed (it is not easy and was a loophole that is probably closed now) to get back into the general health insurance because they got older, married and had children.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04.12.2020, 09:43
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,921 Times in 799 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
So, Munich it is?
Offer fell apart at the contract stage. I'll be here for the foreseeable future. Not unhappy about it. All is well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 04.12.2020, 11:29
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 298 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 22,257 Times in 8,084 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zürich to Munich

Quote:
View Post
What is Steuerklasse 3? Or any number, what are the criteria?
Look up “Steuerklassensplitting”. I’ve tried to explain that to Swiss folks before: Germany has high tax rates but nobody pays those. The system is silly complex, so you hire a specialist to sort it out for you. If you have two incomes but one is significantly higher than the other one can you save a lot by taxing the small income high but therefore the large one on a lower rate. That’s an incentive to make housewives go back to work even if they only work part time...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
munich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Munich -> CH geordieDR Introductions 6 03.07.2017 12:45
Question about Munich Thomaz Daily life 52 13.06.2017 12:19
Geneva to Munich? qwidgibo Transportation/driving 5 07.06.2013 02:58
Am going by car to Munich this Fri 16.03 - join me ? noittom Social events 0 15.03.2012 15:31
Hello form Munich englishtim Introductions 1 03.10.2007 18:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0