Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.07.2007, 22:43
moula's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
moula has no particular reputation at present
More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Where can I buy a uk-swiss travel adapter? I have read all previous threads which seem to just recommend rewiring all appliances but I still need something for those first few days when I arrive to make sure my lap top and phone charger work. I can not believe that it is impossible for tourists to Switzerland to buy travel adapters?! But I am starting to get that impression form posts on here!
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.07.2007, 22:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bern
Posts: 157
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 65 Times in 46 Posts
ITguy has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
Where can I buy a uk-swiss travel adapter? I have read all previous threads which seem to just recommend rewiring all appliances but I still need something for those first few days when I arrive to make sure my lap top and phone charger work. I can not believe that it is impossible for tourists to Switzerland to buy travel adapters?! But I am starting to get that impression form posts on here!
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Hello,
Welcome to the forum. I take it that you are in UK at the moment. I think you can easily get an adaptor in Dixons or at the airport duty free shops. I think you can survive with a 2 pin adapter which is the same for Swiss, most of Europe / Asia.
Regards
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.07.2007, 22:58
DC_in_Hombi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hombrechtikon
Posts: 302
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
DC_in_Hombi has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

I had several English extension leads to plug things into, I would have thought that is cheaper than buying a load of adaptors.

DC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.07.2007, 23:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

You can get UK to CH adapters in any moderately sized electronics shop here...Migros has them, Fust, Media Markt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.07.2007, 23:43
moula's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
moula has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

I thought that the standard european adapter with two prongs did not work in Switzerland? I was in Zurich a while ago and my Portuguese hairdryer did not plug in(all my other things are uk stuff). I thought you had a three prong plug socket?
When I look at adapters in England, the european ones and even the trans world ones say not for use in Switzerland. Can anyone tell me where I can buy an adapter and what the plug part should look like?
Thanks in anticipation!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.07.2007, 09:48
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

there are, for 39 francs here, global adaptors for sale. They will plug practically anything into anything.

See this: Importing electrical equipment - ins & outs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.07.2007, 11:12
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
I thought that the standard european adapter with two prongs did not work in Switzerland? I was in Zurich a while ago and my Portuguese hairdryer did not plug in(all my other things are uk stuff). I thought you had a three prong plug socket?
When I look at adapters in England, the european ones and even the trans world ones say not for use in Switzerland. Can anyone tell me where I can buy an adapter and what the plug part should look like?
Thanks in anticipation!
The European pins are thinker than the Swiss ones.
I bought all of my plug adapters at Coop or Migros. You can probably find them at hardware stores as well. They were around 6 francs or so.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.07.2007, 11:17
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
The European pins are thinker than the Swiss ones.
I bought all of my plug adapters at Coop or Migros. You can probably find them at hardware stores as well. They were around 6 francs or so.
they're also slightly closer together.

New plugs are 1-2 francs in price and easily fitted. For the supremely lazy I'll-probably-go-back-expat, you can bring an extension cable from your homeland and change fewer plugs. I can remember years after leaving Germany and moving to England that we still had German extension cables all over the house...!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.07.2007, 11:23
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
Where can I buy a uk-swiss travel adapter? I have read all previous threads which seem to just recommend rewiring all appliances but I still need something for those first few days when I arrive to make sure my lap top and phone charger work. I can not believe that it is impossible for tourists to Switzerland to buy travel adapters?! But I am starting to get that impression form posts on here!
Can anyone help?
Thanks

If you're still in the uk, you can pick one up from Tesco for a couple of quid. They mark the compatible countries on the packet.

You can get a truly universal adapters from larger electronics shops.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.07.2007, 11:34
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
they're also slightly closer together.

New plugs are 1-2 francs in price and easily fitted. For the supremely lazy I'll-probably-go-back-expat, you can bring an extension cable from your homeland and change fewer plugs. I can remember years after leaving Germany and moving to England that we still had German extension cables all over the house...!
I have changed most of my appliances but I'm hesitant to change my hair dryer and my vacuum cleaner.

Plus, since I travel a lot, I just remove the adapter on my hairdryer otherwise, I'd need an adapter from the Swiss to the European plug....

This doesn't mean I'm lazy! Plug adapters _are_ useful. & they can be found at the Coop & Migros for around 6 francs. Having two in the house is useful & I haven't broke the bank.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.07.2007, 11:37
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

be careful when using adaptors for a prolonged period with such high-draw appliances - you could melt the adaptor
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.07.2007, 13:04
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
be careful when using adaptors for a prolonged period with such high-draw appliances - you could melt the adaptor
That's a very good tip. The one I use for the hairdryer has a fuse in it. If you can still find the ones with the fuse, they are much better for use with high pull appliances like hairdryers. And don't get hot even after hours of hair straightening!

Oh, the vacuum cleaner gets much less use!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.07.2007, 13:36
Grippo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Attalens (FR)
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Grippo has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

You can buy a conversion plug in jumbo or hornbach which you can put between the standard euro plug and the recessed Swiss plugs. The Swiss plugs which are not recessed will work find with the euro plugs that you can get in the UK.

As for all those devices with a UK three pin plug, I simply took the plugs off my UK extension leads and put a Swiss plug onto the end so that I didn't have to change all the power leads for my stereo equipment, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.07.2007, 13:42
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
The European pins are thinker than the Swiss ones.
I bought all of my plug adapters at Coop or Migros. You can probably find them at hardware stores as well. They were around 6 francs or so.
They are not "European" plugs - they're called Schuko-Plugs and are only used in Germany and some Eastern European countries. What's called the "Euro-Plug" in Switzerland works well here but shouldn't be used for anything that requires grounding.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.07.2007, 15:56
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
They are not "European" plugs - they're called Schuko-Plugs and are only used in Germany and some Eastern European countries. What's called the "Euro-Plug" in Switzerland works well here but shouldn't be used for anything that requires grounding.

The appliances I personally am talking about & refer to as "European" (generic & not a proper name) were not bought in Germany.

They have two pins but are too thick to go in the Swiss socket. One was bought in Belgium (the vacuum cleaner) the other was bought in Spain (the hairdryer).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.07.2007, 15:59
Grippo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Attalens (FR)
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Grippo has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

ok, so you go to Jumbo or hornbach and buy a cheap adaptor which adapts the two pin that you are referrig to and allow it to connect into a Swiss socket. I think that they are labelled as French/Swiss plug convertors.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.07.2007, 17:10
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
The appliances I personally am talking about & refer to as "European" (generic & not a proper name) were not bought in Germany.

They have two pins but are too thick to go in the Swiss socket. One was bought in Belgium (the vacuum cleaner) the other was bought in Spain (the hairdryer).
the onces that are too thick to fit are Schukos - there are grounded and not grounded Schukos (with three pins and two pins respectively). AFAIK Schukos are always round while the "Euro" plugs that fit into Swiss sockets aren't.
Could very well be that they sell appliances with plugs that look like Euro plugs in Spain etc.

I think it's a shame that the EU can't finally agree on a common plug :-(
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17.07.2007, 17:40
Grippo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Attalens (FR)
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Grippo has no particular reputation at present
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

The EU might agree on a common plug but that doesn't mean that the Swiss will use it! Remember, Switzerland is not a member of the EU (and I like it that way!)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17.07.2007, 18:07
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

Quote:
View Post
The EU might agree on a common plug but that doesn't mean that the Swiss will use it! Remember, Switzerland is not a member of the EU (and I like it that way!)
believe me, I know Switzerland isn't a member of the EU - but the Swiss have the tendency to adopt pretty much everything the EU introduces (be it laws or the size of your dish-washer...)

dawiz
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.07.2007, 18:37
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More questions about swiss plug sockets!

I'll vote for standardized plugs Europe wide. I can't believe all the time spent defining vegetable sizes and not electric plugs.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello some questions about swiss life and Swiss men from an Irish girl lou.m Daily life 44 03.03.2015 12:30
live wire? swiss plug - help Colonelboris Daily life 24 02.04.2010 14:20
Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy Gautsch Daily life 309 13.02.2009 20:04
CANADIAN PASSPORT: questions about Swiss Residence Permit. Spatzl Permits/visas/government 1 11.01.2007 12:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0