Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.12.2010, 10:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
swissdom has no particular reputation at present
Travelling from Mumbai ?

Is anyone travelling from Mumbai in the coming weeks?
Need to carry some docs from Mumbai for me. Cannot trust the courrier services on this, hence this request here.

Would be great if you could also point me to any of your acquaintances.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.12.2010, 10:55
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,744
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 7,034 Times in 2,277 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Sorry, this seems a little odd. These documents are so important that you can't entrust them to one of the big, established courier services (you know, the ones who will enable you to track your documents the entire way and insure them again loss?) but you're prepared to trust a complete stranger to carry them?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:01
The Real Stig's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Low tax canton
Posts: 474
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 638 Times in 265 Posts
The Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Strange.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:02
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

I'm actually completely with Village Idiot on this.

I don't think it's in ANYONES best interest to carry belongings of a stranger on a flight.... end of story.


You should be able to trust the bigger international express people.

Just pay the premium and you can guarantee it's delivery.


...... If you are just being tight and don't want to spend money.... mate, you moved to the WRONG country.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
swissdom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

I did not want to get this argument starting, so should have rather made it clear at first.
I have tried my hands at the courrier services before, (not with my documents though). The recipient received the packet for sure but sans the content.
Anyways cutting the long story short, these docs are my original certificates and cannot take any chances with the courrier services for doing any harm to it.
Now that you guys mention of free service, I have drinks to offer to anyone who would help.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank swissdom for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:25
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Quote:
View Post
I did not want to get this argument starting, so should have rather made it clear at first.
I have tried my hands at the courrier services before, (not with my documents though). The recipient received the packet for sure but sans the content.
Anyways cutting the long story short, these docs are my original certificates and cannot take any chances with the courrier services for doing any harm to it.
Now that you guys mention of free service, I have drinks to offer to anyone who would help.
..but you're willing to entrust your certificates to a complete strange for a few beers?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:30
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Quote:
View Post
I did not want to get this argument starting, so should have rather made it clear at first.
I have tried my hands at the courrier services before, (not with my documents though). The recipient received the packet for sure but sans the content.
Anyways cutting the long story short, these docs are my original certificates and cannot take any chances with the courrier services for doing any harm to it.
Now that you guys mention of free service, I have drinks to offer to anyone who would help.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone is being argumentative.

It's just simple common sense.

With the way the world works now with bomb scares etc. NOBODY is allowed to carry anything from anyone else, or they are liable.

I do realise that these are just documents, however, the morality of the question stands - No one in their right mind will carry anything onto a flight belonging to a complete stranger.

Besides - riddle me this batman:
Why would you not trust an authorised courier, but you will trust a complete stranger?

Pay the postage and take the risk mate..... or fly back and get them yourself.

I can't allow you to encourage someone to do this for you... it's just wrong.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:35
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,324
Groaned at 677 Times in 525 Posts
Thanked 26,368 Times in 10,628 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

If I was travelling from Mumbai (I'm afraid that I'm not so I can't help), I'd carry your documents for you and I can fully understand why you do not trust them to a courier company based on your past experiences.

Good luck and I hope you find someone!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.12.2010, 11:38
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

I just re-read my own post.

It does come across a bit harsh, but if you read into why no one will do this for you - you will see why everyone's answers are so defensive.


If you don't mean any harm by asking then it's best to just take this as an experience and step back.

I would begin by asking family or friends (assuming you are an Indian national) if they are planning to visit. That's the only safe way that someone will do this for you.


If at the very least that it hasn't occured to you that you maybe just 'helping' someone if they asked you to carry something for them. Please don't ever do that for anyone else either.

You could land in a world of sh1t you can never crawl out of.

"Post it"
Reply With Quote
This user groans at TidakApa for this post:
  #10  
Old 14.12.2010, 12:00
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry, I don't think anyone is being argumentative.

It's just simple common sense.

With the way the world works now with bomb scares etc. NOBODY is allowed to carry anything from anyone else, or they are liable.

I do realise that these are just documents, however, the morality of the question stands - No one in their right mind will carry anything onto a flight belonging to a complete stranger.

Besides - riddle me this batman:
Why would you not trust an authorised courier, but you will trust a complete stranger?

Pay the postage and take the risk mate..... or fly back and get them yourself.

I can't allow you to encourage someone to do this for you... it's just wrong.
Just who are you to say this I think it would be nice if you stop posting on this thread.

OP: I am sure your mate will meet the person at Mumbai and the work will take place only if the vibes are right, sounds perfectly fine. I hope you find someone soon.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.12.2010, 12:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
swissdom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

"billhardie" appreciate your concerns and inputs on this.
"Tom1234" thank you.

I have checked with few friends and friends of friends but none travelling.

I am sensitive towards the world order of air travels and the risk it brings along with it. It was probably a hasty decision from my side to put such a request on this forum blatantly.

When it comes to trust, I guess I should have targetted only the Indian community on this forum where a fellow Mumbaikar would lend a helping hand. "No offence meant to anyone here."

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I will try some other means to get around this.
Request moderator to please close this thread. (not sure if I can do this)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.12.2010, 12:05
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Quote:
View Post
"billhardie" appreciate your concerns and inputs on this.
"Tom1234" thank you.

I have checked with few friends and friends of friends but none travelling.

I am sensitive towards the world order of air travels and the risk it brings along with it. It was probably a hasty decision from my side to put such a request on this forum blatantly.

When it comes to trust, I guess I should have targetted only the Indian community on this forum where a fellow Mumbaikar would lend a helping hand. "No offence meant to anyone here."

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I will try some other means to get around this.
Request moderator to please close this thread. (not sure if I can do this)
Chill, no need to close the thread just because some random guy sounded rude. I have availed of comparable help earlier, one just needs to be intelligent enough to know how to do due diligence (your skeptics sound thick to me). If I were you I would wait a bit longer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14.12.2010, 12:31
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Father Ted has become a little unpopularFather Ted has become a little unpopular
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

Quote:
View Post
I just re-read my own post.

It does come across a bit harsh, but if you read into why no one will do this for you - you will see why everyone's answers are so defensive.


If you don't mean any harm by asking then it's best to just take this as an experience and step back.

I would begin by asking family or friends (assuming you are an Indian national) if they are planning to visit. That's the only safe way that someone will do this for you.


If at the very least that it hasn't occured to you that you maybe just 'helping' someone if they asked you to carry something for them. Please don't ever do that for anyone else either.

You could land in a world of sh1t you can never crawl out of.

"Post it"
Do you work for a courier company?

Chill dude... some little documents are not the end of the world...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.12.2010, 12:36
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Travelling from Mumbai ?

I will do it if you pay for my return flight to Mumbai and back
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone going to Mumbai, India? Guest General off-topic 2 20.02.2013 09:59
Travelling to UK Edamame Travel/day trips/free time 2 10.06.2010 21:27
Mumbai Now Confloozed International affairs/politics 78 20.02.2009 16:04
Last Minute Deals - Zurich to Mumbai penny Travel/day trips/free time 13 05.11.2008 18:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0