English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   Where do you buy your smellies? (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/105579-where-do-you-buy-your-smellies.html)

Guest 03.02.2011 23:07

Where do you buy your smellies?
 
I was wondering where you usually stock up on cosmetics perfumes, smellies and why?

J.L-P 04.02.2011 10:07

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Duty-free for perfume- because it's duty free . Smellies: I burn a match and chuck down the toilet. You are talking about Chihuahua doodies aren't you?

Guest 04.02.2011 10:14

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.L-P (Post 1092313)
Duty-free for perfume- because it's duty free . Smellies: I burn a match and chuck down the toilet. You are talking about Chihuahua doodies aren't you?

Smellies is an English word, I suggest you visit England at some point in your life, you would like the language, and would be amazed that we have a lot more words for Chihuahua doodies

Guest 04.02.2011 10:17

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutti01 (Post 1092324)
I suggest you visit England at some point in your life

It's on her list, I'm sure.

Right after Somalia, Afghanistan and the Congo. ;)

Anyway, lots of smellies down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich, but be prepared to remortgage your house before setting out.

Duty free really is the way to go.

oscarsmum 04.02.2011 10:24

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Wait until I go home and buy it in Semi-Chem or Superdrug. ;)

J.L-P 04.02.2011 10:48

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutti01 (Post 1092324)
Smellies is an English word, I suggest you visit England at some point in your life, you would like the language, and would be amazed that we have a lot more words for Chihuahua doodies

So, the Queen says "get me me smellies luv"? Whereas I would ask for perfume? Are you are saying "Chihuahua doodies" is what you call perfume too? I have learned something today, more England*-slang.

Quote:

It's on her list, I'm sure. Right after Somalia, Afghanistan and the Congo. ;)
Yep, sadly I've been to one of the places mentioned, although not by name in your post DB. I continue to think it is a sh*t(e for you Englanders)-hole, but not because of the smell(ies). ;)

*England. I did not use "UK" as not to offend everyone..

mannie organ 04.02.2011 10:53

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
7 posts and already offending:msngrin:

04.02.2011 10:55

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.L-P (Post 1092382)
Are you are saying "Chihuahua doodies" is what you call perfume too? I have learned something today, more England*-slang.

The Urban Dictionary lists 4 definitions of the word "smellies". One is the British slang for perfume, the other 3 are the more negative meanings of the word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Smellies

J.L-P 04.02.2011 11:10

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 1092408)
The Urban Dictionary lists 4 definitions of the word "smellies". One is the British slang for perfume, the other 3 are the more negative meanings of the word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Smellies

Dude (mate), I am in no mood to look at the Urbain Dictionary for such a question. I am cranky (*) as heck (*) this morning and just assumed the op (*) was ESL (*). My bad (*).

"Smellie" is slang, isn't it? And just as bad as text-speak sometimes.

(*) = put in your own "English" word.

Back OT!

MidfieldGeneral 04.02.2011 11:14

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
duty free generally. I dislike the word "smellies" as much as "bits". The cheapest place I have bought perfume in is on the ferry between calais and dover.t he booze is also very cheap, you can get a bottle of malt for gbp 35 whereas in globus it costs chf 140-

summerrain 04.02.2011 11:50

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutti01 (Post 1092324)
Smellies is an English word, I suggest you visit England at some point in your life, you would like the language, and would be amazed that we have a lot more words for Chihuahua doodies

Charming. :msnsarcastic:

jacek 04.02.2011 12:38

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Smellies you say, if you stand on the train platform you will be puffed fug's smoke into your face anyway. Why not get onion or garlic to immunize yourself instead :D I eat garlic smoked sausage with onion philadelphia cream. :D

I got my Diesel from Coop or Migros malls. Large shops have selection of good smellies! (I like the word "smelly" and cannot resist using it)

Guest 04.02.2011 13:01

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.L-P (Post 1092437)
Dude (mate), I am in no mood to look at the Urbain Dictionary for such a question. I am cranky (*) as heck (*) this morning and just assumed the op (*) was ESL (*). My bad (*).

"Smellie" is slang, isn't it? And just as bad as text-speak sometimes.

(*) = put in your own "English" word.

Back OT!

I think you are confusing 'slang' with 'colloquialism', 'smelly' is a perfectly acceptable English word, in this situation it is being used in a jocular fashion in the respect that it is conventional these days to assume 'smelly' indicates a 'bad smell', were as it actually doesn't mean that.

A similar conflict in popular English usage and Standard English usage happened when Samuel Johnson was told, 'you smell!' to which he replied pompously 'You smell, I stink!'

Because of course 'to smell' is an action and 'smell' is correctly a verb.
To indicate that 'smellies' is slang indicates that it is incorrect, when in actual fact it is conventionally more correct than our continental cousins might like to accept.

Guest 04.02.2011 13:03

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 1092583)
pompously

Indeed. :)

Guest 04.02.2011 13:15

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral (Post 1092608)
are all English girls as charming as you?

I don't think JohnnyLaRock is a girl. Nor, for that matter, is he English. He isn't charming, either...

Or did you mean someone else? :D

Guest 04.02.2011 13:20

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

I don't think JohnnyLaRock is a girl. Nor, for that matter, is he English. He isn't charming, either...

Or did you mean someone else? :D
I'll have you know I'm very charming!

J.L-P 04.02.2011 13:35

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyLaRock! (Post 1092583)
I think you are confusing 'slang' with 'colloquialism', 'smelly' is a perfectly acceptable English word, in this situation it is being used in a jocular fashion in the respect that it is conventional these days to assume 'smelly' indicates a 'bad smell', were as it actually doesn't mean that.

Oh FFS (;)), it is an English-English word that anywhere else assumes stink.

I've a serious question. Is the use of this word class related?

How ot can all this be?

Papa Goose 04.02.2011 13:38

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.L-P (Post 1092652)
Oh FFS (;)), it is an English-English word that anywhere else assumes stink.

I've a serious question. Is the use of this word class related?

How ot can all this be?

JL-P ignore jonlepebble most other do... rumour has it he graces more ignore lists that Nick Clegg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutti01 (Post 1092324)
Smellies is an English word, I suggest you visit England at some point in your life, you would like the language, and would be amazed that we have a lot more words for Chihuahua doodies

Nice attitude.... not.

MidfieldGeneral 04.02.2011 13:43

Re: Where do you buy your smellies?
 
sorry, I meant Mutti01!

Meisie 04.02.2011 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutti01 (Post 1092039)
I was wondering where you usually stock up on cosmetics perfumes, smellies and why?

Cosmetics: Bobby Brown counter at Globus
Why: only Globus and Jelmoli stock them (I prefer Globus)
Smellies: used to be at the duty free
but I don't travel as much now that I have 2 little kids. I tend to buy most of them now from the Pharmacy near where I live as its more convenient than going into Zurich city.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0