Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.03.2011, 16:15
Faheem's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Faheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of many
Buying my first guitar

So I have finally decided to become a rockstar.....yes I know the world should thank me for that!

I did some searching on the forums... found a lot of helpful threads and I have decided to get an acoustic guitar with metal strings......Acoustic because I just like the sound of it and metal strings because I am not planning to play any country music... maybe some Pink Floyd tunes one day when I can finally rock.

So then I did some googling to find a guitar that would suit me and I think I might go for one of three:
http://www.thomann.de/de/takamine_eg531sc.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_dr_500mce_na.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/takamine_eg360sc.htm

So now I need to know which one would be better for a noob like myself....and I am open to suggestions, if anyone can suggest something good under 1000CHF.... of course the cheaper the better that's the most I can afford right now.

oh and yes I forgot to mention... I haven't even played a single tune before... I only know how to hold a guitar but I am planning to take lessons.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.03.2011, 16:25
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 500
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying my first guitar

as far as going cheap on a musical instrument, I wouldn't do that. You get what you pay for.
If you can get a good quality guitar used, based on your budget, I would go for that.
I picked up a used USA made Fender Precision Bass for $650, brand new, these are $1800-2000.
The deals are out there, you have to be patient and dilligent.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Divesnowboy for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.03.2011, 17:04
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,535
Groaned at 280 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 21,839 Times in 8,850 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

If you decide to play folk, you can always re-string your guitar. My favourite guitar is a beat up folky thing I bought for 10 in a junk shop in the UK, and restrung. It's fun to play blues on and doesn't rip my fingers to shreds like my rather nice steel string.

Anyway - get the most expensive you can sensibly afford, and look for a good second hand deal. We got a really rough and ready, great sounding bass for a couple of hundred CHF in a brocki.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 21.03.2011, 19:18
Faheem's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Faheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
as far as going cheap on a musical instrument, I wouldn't do that. You get what you pay for.......
The deals are out there, you have to be patient and dilligent
True, but I thought a 1000 would be enough for a goodnguitar... I was so wrong..
If there's one thing I lack.. its patience

Quote:
View Post
If you decide to play folk, you can always re-string your guitar.
Interesting...because when i was googling, I found people saying stuff like its not possible to re-string a metal string to nylon and vice versa!

Quote:
My favourite guitar is a beat up folky thing I bought for 10 in a junk shop in the UK, and restrung. It's fun to play blues on and doesn't rip my fingers to shreds like my rather nice steel string.

Anyway - get the most expensive you can sensibly afford, and look for a good second hand deal.
Would you be willing to sell it for ... say 20CHF?
Well the only place I've been looking for a second version is ricardo... and so far I didn't find anything interesting...or maybe I need to look harder!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.03.2011, 19:25
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,535
Groaned at 280 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 21,839 Times in 8,850 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

Try some music shops! And the brockis.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.03.2011, 19:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

You can certainly get something decent, new or used, for less than CHF 1000.

Thomann.de is a good place to deal with, though I haven't bought a guitar from them, especially now that the EUR is low.

I started out with cheap stuff, then moved up over time, but I also started at 14 and couldn't afford much.

Personally, I'd look for a good used one, then if you decide to sell it, you won't lose much, plus used ones have the advantage that you can see which way it's aging (some age for the better, some for the worse).

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 21.03.2011, 21:47
Faheem's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Faheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Try some music shops! And the brockis.
Thanks! I'll definitely look there... didn't know it even existed

Quote:
View Post

Thomann.de is a good place to deal with, though I haven't bought a guitar from them, especially now that the EUR is low.

I started out with cheap stuff, then moved up over time, but I also started at 14 and couldn't afford much.

Personally, I'd look for a good used one, then if you decide to sell it, you won't lose much, plus used ones have the advantage that you can see which way it's aging (some age for the better, some for the worse).

Tom
Yeah I saw someone mentioning it in one of the threads.. maybe it was you :P
and I'm starting at exactly double that age... so I think I should pay a little more too I'd definitely prefer a good used one... but let's see if I can find one otherwise I'll order one from Thomann....
A quick question though... would I have to pay tax on top of the original price?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.03.2011, 21:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely look there... didn't know it even existed


Yeah I saw someone mentioning it in one of the threads.. maybe it was you :P
and I'm starting at exactly double that age... so I think I should pay a little more too I'd definitely prefer a good used one... but let's see if I can find one otherwise I'll order one from Thomann....
A quick question though... would I have to pay tax on top of the original price?
I saw a good acoustic guitar the other day at a flea market. Dunno why I didn`t buy it ...... I keep thinking I`m too old to become a rock star. Then it dawned on me that I could become a classical guitarist .. where age doesn`t matter anymore .. just good looks and talent?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.03.2011, 22:02
Faheem's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Faheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
I saw a good acoustic guitar the other day at a flea market. Dunno why I didn`t buy it ...... I keep thinking I`m too old to become a rock star. Then it dawned on me that I could become a classical guitarist .. where age doesn`t matter anymore .. just good looks and talent?:D
And where is this flea market please? somewhere in Zurich? if it is then its a good thing you didn't buy it tell me where and I will

so... are you single?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.03.2011, 22:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely look there... didn't know it even existed


Yeah I saw someone mentioning it in one of the threads.. maybe it was you :P
and I'm starting at exactly double that age... so I think I should pay a little more too I'd definitely prefer a good used one... but let's see if I can find one otherwise I'll order one from Thomann....
A quick question though... would I have to pay tax on top of the original price?
If you buy from Thomann, you don't pay the 19% German VAT, just postage and 8% Swiss VAT (+ CHF 18 paperwork), which is less (unless you buy something really heavy with a high transport cost)

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.03.2011, 22:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying my first guitar

When I started I bought super cheap to make sure I liked what I was doing. My guitar was a classical guitar bought for $10, and worth every penny. (I had to use wood glue to keep it together!) But it lasted me a year and change of getting the feel for the instrument...I was teaching myself.

Once I realized I would stick with it as my outlet I laid down the cash for a decent Ibanez PF series guitar...not the best, but good enough for open mics. I bought a similar (but cheaper) version in Germany for €160 in 2008.

You can buy a chf1000 guitar when you really are a rock star..if you really need that guitar is another matter.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 21.03.2011, 22:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Frankfurt (Ex-Zurich)
Posts: 869
Groaned at 95 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 584 Times in 331 Posts
FrankS has earned the respect of manyFrankS has earned the respect of manyFrankS has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
A quick question though... would I have to pay tax on top of the original price?
you pay [(original gross price/1.19)+shipping cost]*1.08+customs handling fee
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FrankS for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 27.03.2011, 14:12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gattikon
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 65 Posts
Harriet and Patrick has earned the respect of manyHarriet and Patrick has earned the respect of manyHarriet and Patrick has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Hey,

Saw your post and thought of the following things...

Are you going to be plugging your guitar in? Having a pickup generally equals slightly inferior sound at a slighty higher price... However it does enable you to easily record or play live in the future.

When I originaly moved to Switzerland I wasn't able to bring my guitar with me. I bought http://www.thomann.de/de/artlutherie...ught_black.htm this one from Thomann.de when I moved. It's brilliant! It's made in Canada, is mainly made from REAL wood, not ply or composite, the sound is exqusiite and it was very well set up out of the box. No pick up though.... It's from the same Factory as Seagul and Simon & Patrick

I saw some advice earlier in thread about buying the best you could afford and whilst that was true, these days it is not... IF you buy the correct thing....

The two Takamine guitars you are looking at are fine. I my self used a Takimine EFS for live shows, do check the wood content of the guitars though as Takamine often use ply/composite on thier cheaper models.

Just another thought... have you actually tried a Dreadnought shaped guitar? They can be quite big. Before you buy do go to a shop and try one (anyone) for size...

Do look at the A&L, I have played alot of guitars in my time and for the money to quality ratio and have seen little that is better. If I was spending the money I would get this and later (if you stick to it) either buy a very good guitar with pickup for playing live or a good mic for recording.

PS Thomann, as a shop are ace.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Harriet and Patrick for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 30.03.2011, 14:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crockett has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying my first guitar

Hi,

I've just been looking for a guitar myself and found Promusig in central Zurich.

http://translate.google.com/translat....ch%2F&act=url

They close at 6.30 on weekdays is the only problem.

The acoustics start from CHF 178. There's a good 1/4 size acoustic there for CHF 239 I have my eye on.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Crockett for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.03.2011, 14:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I've just been looking for a guitar myself and found Promusig in central Zurich.

http://translate.google.com/translat....ch%2F&act=url

They close at 6.30 on weekdays is the only problem.

The acoustics start from CHF 178. There's a good 1/4 size acoustic there for CHF 239 I have my eye on.
I've bought stuff from them in the past, good place.

Meanwhile, I'll probably have a couple up for sale soon if I buy the one my friend isn't 100% sure he wants to sell yet (the neck is narrower than he is used to).

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.03.2011, 03:15
Faheem's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Faheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of manyFaheem has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Hey,

Saw your post and thought of the following things...

Are you going to be plugging your guitar in? Having a pickup generally equals slightly inferior sound at a slighty higher price... However it does enable you to easily record or play live in the future.

When I originaly moved to Switzerland I wasn't able to bring my guitar with me. I bought http://www.thomann.de/de/artlutherie...ught_black.htm this one from Thomann.de when I moved. It's brilliant! It's made in Canada, is mainly made from REAL wood, not ply or composite, the sound is exqusiite and it was very well set up out of the box. No pick up though.... It's from the same Factory as Seagul and Simon & Patrick

I saw some advice earlier in thread about buying the best you could afford and whilst that was true, these days it is not... IF you buy the correct thing....

The two Takamine guitars you are looking at are fine. I my self used a Takimine EFS for live shows, do check the wood content of the guitars though as Takamine often use ply/composite on thier cheaper models.

Just another thought... have you actually tried a Dreadnought shaped guitar? They can be quite big. Before you buy do go to a shop and try one (anyone) for size...

Do look at the A&L, I have played alot of guitars in my time and for the money to quality ratio and have seen little that is better. If I was spending the money I would get this and later (if you stick to it) either buy a very good guitar with pickup for playing live or a good mic for recording.

PS Thomann, as a shop are ace.
Well like I said, its my first guitar, so I don't think I'll be doing any live shows :P I haven't tried a dreadnought before, but I am a relatively big guy... I think I should be able to wrap my arms around it

I went for the Takamine 531sc one, after consulting my soon to be guitar teacher as well.
http://www.thomann.de/de/takamine_eg531sc.htm

so i thank you all for your suggestions and will get back to you with some feedback once I've tried and tested this guitar
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31.03.2011, 09:46
stephanienie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: aargau
Posts: 473
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 144 Posts
stephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying my first guitar

Hi everyone, i have a guitar-related problem. My bf bought me a cheap one..a 3/4 coz i always mentioned to him hat i think i like 3/4 better than regular size coz im kinda small myself. Im self-taught and just want it as an outlet (used to play all day when theres black outs which is common in the philippines). I know how to tune a regular guitar but this one we bought has 3 strings nylon and 3 strings steel. I tuned it nicely now but the problem is here:

Since its smaller size i presume its tuning is much higher than regular sized (which i did after some painful hours since my fingers lost all callus now)
The steel strings at the upper are way too loose
The nylon ones are way too tight
Plucking gives me the tune i like but when i strum, it just doesnt work.

Should i just throw this thing away or is there anything u can suggest like making it all steel or all nylon? i dunno if that would help so any suggestion would be appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31.03.2011, 10:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Since its smaller size i presume its tuning is much higher than regular sized
No, tuning is the same.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31.03.2011, 11:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying my first guitar

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone, i have a guitar-related problem. My bf bought me a cheap one..a 3/4 coz i always mentioned to him hat i think i like 3/4 better than regular size coz im kinda small myself. Im self-taught and just want it as an outlet (used to play all day when theres black outs which is common in the philippines). I know how to tune a regular guitar but this one we bought has 3 strings nylon and 3 strings steel. I tuned it nicely now but the problem is here:

Since its smaller size i presume its tuning is much higher than regular sized (which i did after some painful hours since my fingers lost all callus now)
The steel strings at the upper are way too loose
The nylon ones are way too tight
Plucking gives me the tune i like but when i strum, it just doesnt work.

Should i just throw this thing away or is there anything u can suggest like making it all steel or all nylon? i dunno if that would help so any suggestion would be appreciated
To answer this question, and also break a few misconceptions, the nylon strings aren't 'budget' or in any way 'not proper' classical guitars are designed to be strung with the lower tension nylon strings (treble 3 clear formed nylon, bass 3 silver or steel wound nylon). You will permanently ruin your classical Spanish guitar if you string it with the high tension USA/country strings, the fret board will warp and eventually the whole thing will snap like a mouse trap.
The classical guitar and the country and western guitar are virtually two different instruments, and playing styles are wildly different, the classical guitar comes with 1000 years of knowledge and learning behind it, and learned properly will provide a lifetime of mental, physical and exertion expected from a virtuoso instrument.

The country and western guitar is a modern 20th century adaption (probably of a flamenco guitar with steel cord) it is at a higher tension but with the same tuning and pitch, this is due to the tensile strength of the steel and the material properties, there is a steel rod in the neck of a country western guitar to prevent warp.

To increase the tension of your classical strings you could use a Cejila (capo) (string clamp) this increases the pitch without changing the tuning, and is often used by flamencos on the 2nd or 3rd fret, makes rasquedo and tremelo easier, and also matches a singers pitch more comfortably.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31.03.2011, 12:12
stephanienie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: aargau
Posts: 473
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 144 Posts
stephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputationstephanienie has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying my first guitar

Hello and thanks for the advise but i still dont know what to do. The other comment said the pitch of the 3/4 should be the same as a regular sized guitar. Mine have both steel and nylon, i dont mind. Ive tried other guitars also mixed steel and nylon but mine just doesnt seem to work as the steel strings are was too loose (although in tune already) and the nylon (also in tune) are way too tight. When i strum, the vibrations from the steel are just annoying. Maybe i should try again this time with an audio reference. But if someone would tell me that i should stick with either only steel or only nylon, then ill try that too coz i already spent many hours tuning this thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first guitar buy zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0