Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.05.2011, 12:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 498
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 161 Times in 116 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Where to buy glass?

We have a nice dinning table and don't want the table to be scrached or damaged, and therefore would like to know if it's possible to custom order a piece of glass (cut to a specific dimension) that we can then put on top of our table.

Any idea where we can go in Switzerland to get this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.05.2011, 12:19
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy glass?

You'll want tempered glass (at least I would). Even though it will be supported fully unlike a regular glass table, normal window glass will shatter and chip far more easily than tempered glass.

For your searching pleasure: gehärtetem Glas in German, verre trempe in French.

Ikea sells glass table tops- you may get lucky and find one the right size. Would certainly be the cheapest option.

And you won't want to rest the glass directly on the table surface. No matter how clean everything is when you lay that glass top on, it will move and it will scratch the very thing you're trying to protect. Some little thin clear rubber pads should do the trick... but then you don't want them getting too friendly with the finish on your table top and messing it up when you lift the glass off. You sure you don't just want a tablecloth?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mud for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.05.2011, 12:31
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy glass?

Quote:
View Post
You'll want tempered glass (at least I would). Even though it will be supported fully unlike a regular glass table, normal window glass will shatter and chip far more easily than tempered glass.

For your searching pleasure: gehärtetem Glas in German, verre trempe in French.

Ikea sells glass table tops- you may get lucky and find one the right size. Would certainly be the cheapest option.

And you won't want to rest the glass directly on the table surface. No matter how clean everything is when you lay that glass top on, it will move and it will scratch the very thing you're trying to protect. Some little thin clear rubber pads should do the trick... but then you don't want them getting too friendly with the finish on your table top and messing it up when you lift the glass off. You sure you don't just want a tablecloth?
Actually, our Ikea does the cutting, just like they will custom cut your desk top if you choose, they do have a lot of mismatching and combining for tops and legs. If you have little kids, glass tops can be nice since the wood under does not get scratched, but I protected our glass coffee table with a small table cloth since kids drops stuff and it would have broken many times.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.05.2011, 16:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 498
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 161 Times in 116 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Where to buy glass?

Quote:
View Post
You'll want tempered glass (at least I would). Even though it will be supported fully unlike a regular glass table, normal window glass will shatter and chip far more easily than tempered glass.

For your searching pleasure: gehärtetem Glas in German, verre trempe in French.

Ikea sells glass table tops- you may get lucky and find one the right size. Would certainly be the cheapest option.

And you won't want to rest the glass directly on the table surface. No matter how clean everything is when you lay that glass top on, it will move and it will scratch the very thing you're trying to protect. Some little thin clear rubber pads should do the trick... but then you don't want them getting too friendly with the finish on your table top and messing it up when you lift the glass off. You sure you don't just want a tablecloth?
I have three beloved cats at home, so tablecloth isn't really a realistic option - it'll get covered in cat hair in about 2 days

My plan is to get glass (now that after readying your post, tempered glass) and buy those plastic ruber pads (kind of like very short legs, similar to one that often goes under an appliance) so that the class will be slightly rised up from the table, and hence not touching the table directly. Are you thinking that these pads might ultimately leave a mark when I remove the glass?

Will do some search tonight and see what I can find.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.05.2011, 16:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 498
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 161 Times in 116 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Where to buy glass?

Quote:
View Post
Actually, our Ikea does the cutting, just like they will custom cut your desk top if you choose, they do have a lot of mismatching and combining for tops and legs. If you have little kids, glass tops can be nice since the wood under does not get scratched, but I protected our glass coffee table with a small table cloth since kids drops stuff and it would have broken many times.
Interesting, thanks for the information. I've been to Ikea at Dietlikon and Spreitenbach and while I saw glass table tops there, I didn't see anything indicating they can be custom cut. I will go and ask!

Which Ikea is this that you're talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.05.2011, 17:19
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy glass?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting, thanks for the information. I've been to Ikea at Dietlikon and Spreitenbach and while I saw glass table tops there, I didn't see anything indicating they can be custom cut. I will go and ask!

Which Ikea is this that you're talking about?
It's in Aubonne, I know people had some tops cut, I saw it written down in the "make your own desk/table" area, where you pick your top and bottom of a desk/table. Otherwise, the Info desk will tell you, the customer service area.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.05.2011, 19:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Frankfurt (Ex-Zurich)
Posts: 869
Groaned at 95 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 584 Times in 331 Posts
FrankS has earned the respect of manyFrankS has earned the respect of manyFrankS has earned the respect of many
Re: Where to buy glass?

Quote:
View Post
We have a nice dinning table and don't want the table to be scrached or damaged, and therefore would like to know if it's possible to custom order a piece of glass (cut to a specific dimension) that we can then put on top of our table.

Any idea where we can go in Switzerland to get this?

Thanks!
Any Glaser should do that.

http://yellow.local.ch/de/q/?what=Gl...id=directories
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Glass Cutters kyo Other/general 3 04.02.2011 12:57
Glass water bottles in Switzerland [where to buy?] b4u_response Daily life 1 16.07.2010 12:06
Where to buy glass table top - Lausanne naza Daily life 2 13.03.2010 19:55
glass painting kamini Daily life 0 23.01.2009 20:31
Pane of Glass telandy Other/general 1 17.09.2007 18:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0