Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 20.06.2011, 11:55
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
drinking cider.. I like drinking cider, but you know what's even nicer ....cooking with cider.

I find there is nothing nicer than a bit of pork in 'cider.


ba'doom-Tish
That Firkin well deserves a groan and you know it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 20.06.2011, 11:56
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
Thta Firkin well deserves a groan and you know it.

----------
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 20.06.2011, 14:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Left Handers

I have a friend that is ambidextrous, he used to pitch for Nevada State University baseball team, he had two left handed pitching coaches ('south paws') amusingly they both said to him:-

''98% off all homosexuals are right handed, we're not so sure about you...''
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 20.06.2011, 19:00
Cbass's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 130
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 149 Times in 71 Posts
Cbass is considered knowledgeableCbass is considered knowledgeableCbass is considered knowledgeable
Re: Left Handers

Being left-handed also gives new meaning to the Swiss-German/German phrase "Machi doch mit links"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 20.06.2011, 19:06
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
I'm a rightie but I enjoy using my left hand from time to time.



Obviously pre-internet generation
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 21.06.2011, 10:03
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

there was a bit on WRS this morning ( brain freeze ) which said that left handers on average live nine years less than the rest of us normal folk.

not sure the basis of that but they said it on the radio so it must be right.



( life span of mutant lefties )

Last edited by grynch; 21.06.2011 at 11:46. Reason: it was actaully 9 years less, not seven and I added the link
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 21.06.2011, 10:07
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,688 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
there was a bit on WRS this morning ( brain freeze ) which said that left handers on average live 7 years less than the rest of us normal folk.

not sure the basis of that but they said it on the radio so it must be right.
Thanks, that's really made my morning
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 21.06.2011, 10:56
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
there was a bit on WRS this morning ( brain freeze ) which said that left handers on average live 7 years less than the rest of us normal folk.

not sure the basis of that but they said it on the radio so it must be right.
It'll be related to lefties having accidents through using machinery made for righties. Nowadays where most people's access to machinery consists of a keyboard and maybe an electronic carving knife, I wouldn't worry abosdgiwjrskmbk c,bm ,vn.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 21.06.2011, 11:22
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 2,245
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,018 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

I'm left handed but right-eye dominant, so when I took up target rifle-shooting at school, I used a right-handed rifle.

What I do left-handed:
  • Write
  • Racket/bat sports (squash, cricket, golf,etc)
  • scissors
What I do right handed:
  • Throw ( bowl in cricket)
  • computer mouse
I find one particularly useful thing about being a left hand writer/right hand computer mouser is that you can use a graphics tablet and the mouse together quite effectively
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 21.06.2011, 11:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Born left-handed, but write, eat, use computer mouse with my right hand because I was forced to in school (thanks, Commies). In a weird way, I'm kind of grateful I was forced to because it would be a waste to not use my right hand for anything. Now I'm sort of artificially ambidextrous - physical things I do with my left, more precision things with my right.

Don't know how much it's responsible for my stutter, though, not sure if The King's Speech is a good reference.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 21.06.2011, 11:43
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,510
Groaned at 280 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 21,760 Times in 8,826 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
I'm ambidextrous, I can do F'all with both hands
That's ambisinistrous.

Two (out of three) of my kids are freaky mutant left-handers. My wife and I are right-handers. It seems I carry the left-hand gene, inherited from my maternal grandmother - the only left hander we know about in the children's ancestry. (My sister is ambisinistrous also).
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 22.06.2011, 22:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
View Post
Well ONE muslim friend does not create a statistic which is valid for all muslims. Does it? My 2 year old daughter is left handed and I am muslim. It changed nothing for us or for my family. Frankly they think that she will be lucky in her future and will outsmart all of us . From the looks of what others have posted.. it might be true...

My causcasian in-laws are left handed (this is where we suspect my daughther gets if from) and they always mention the tough time they had growing up in the US as lefty's because they were constantly picked on.

It's a cross cultural thing. You'll find a range of opinions across the board every where you go.
This was in no way an anti-Muslim comment at all. I gave one example but I came across so many as a teacher. The Koran states that the left hand is 'dirty' - used for cleaning private parts, but more importantly linked with Evil, whereas the right hand is 'good' and linked to the Good Companions of Allah. So the use of the left hand still causes much distress to elders and others from very traditional backgrounds. Salam alekum.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 22.06.2011, 22:46
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
This was in no way an anti-Muslim comment at all. I gave one example but I came across so many as a teacher. The Koran states that the left hand is 'dirty' - used for cleaning private parts, but more importantly linked with Evil, whereas the right hand is 'good' and linked to the Good Companions of Allah. So the use of the left hand still causes much distress to elders and others from very traditional backgrounds. Salam alekum.
I doubt Kuran mentions anything about the usage of left-hand. I'd say it's more the hadith & sunna that will say something about it. Unless you have a clear reference.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 22.06.2011, 22:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Left Handers

[56.8] Then (as to) the companions of the right hand; how happy are the companions of the right hand!
[56.9] And (as to) the companions of the left hand; how wretched are the companions of the left hand!

There are many more, and as said many Hadith which are very important to many Muslim communities.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 22.06.2011, 23:06
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Quote:
[56.8] Then (as to) the companions of the right hand; how happy are the companions of the right hand!
[56.9] And (as to) the companions of the left hand; how wretched are the companions of the left hand!

There are many more, and as said many Hadith which are very important to many Muslim communities.
Ok but the verses do not say anything about dirty left hand, and not using it. Again, people who would culturally oblige left-handers to use the right hand will do it based on hadith & sunna not Kuran.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 22.06.2011, 23:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Left Handers

Despite having many Muslim friends and relatives, I am indeed no expert. But those hadith are very important to large sections of the Muslim community:

"Therefore the one who uses his left hand to eat and drink should be taught the Islamic ruling and should be reminded of the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on this matter. When a man ate with his left hand in his presence, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Eat with your right hand.” He said, “I cannot.” He said, “May you never be able to!” Nothing was stopping him but his stubborn arrogance, and he never raised his right hand to his mouth after that. (Reported by Muslim, 3776). According to a report narrated by al-Daarimi, “his right hand never reached his mouth”. This man suffered paralysis because of the du’aa’ of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “In this hadeeth we have an indication that it is allowed to pray against a person who breaks a shar’i rule with no excuse. We also see the principle of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil in all situations, even with regard to eating. It encourages us to teach proper manners of eating to a person who is eating if he is doing something wrong. The hadeeth also teaches us that the Shaytaan eats with his left hand, because of the hadeeth: “When any one of you eats, let him eat with his right hand, and when he drinks, let him drink with his right hand, because the Shaytaan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.” (Reported by Muslim, 3764). The Shaytaan eats with his left hand so the person who eats with his left hand resembles the Shaytaan, indeed the Shaytaan is sharing his food with him. Ahmad reported with a hasan isnaad from ‘Aa’ishah and attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever eats with his left hand, the Shaytaan eats with him.” (Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, commentary on hadeeth 1721)."
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 22.06.2011, 23:44
The Real Stig's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Low tax canton
Posts: 474
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 638 Times in 265 Posts
The Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Left Handers

Hi Odile,

I just replied to your PM not realizing that this conversation was ongoing on the original thread. With the risk of this turning into a Religious-centric thread, here is the response that I sent you for the general curious type.

"
As you can imagine like many other religions, Islam too has groups that make extreme implementations of what they understand through the Quran. As far as I have researched it does not say directly in Quran that the Left hand is Haram (a sin). It has been recommended through Hadith (sayings of the Prophets) that the usage of the left is Haram if you intend to use the same hand to also do the impure business because it is not recommended that you eat and drink, give zakat (alms to the poor) etc through the same hand that you use to clean yourself - So in part you are right. It is essentially the same principal to hands what is to Shoulders in Christianity where the good angel sits on the right and the bad one sits on the left. The Ying and Yang in the Chinese philosophy.

But like someone quoted else where and I believe in - Islam is logical. Intentional. And all about reasoning. Is it your intention to have been born left handed and eating left handed to mock God? If no and your genetic make up switches the functions of your hands to make the left stronger than the right then that's how God designed it. Of course, only HE knows best.

This is my view of the whole thing.

My only reason to challenge you was to reduce mass a judgement to passed based on small group of people and their intepertations. We have enough of trouble in the world today being represented by an ignorant minority and people's lack of effort in seeking the truth or seeing essentially what they want to see.

Of course this is the wrong place to debate this because we can go on on about which religious group persecuted what during the course of human history.

Quote:
Despite having many Muslim friends and relatives, I am indeed no expert. But those hadith are very important to large sections of the Muslim community:

"Therefore the one who uses his left hand to eat and drink should be taught the Islamic ruling and should be reminded of the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on this matter. When a man ate with his left hand in his presence, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Eat with your right hand.” He said, “I cannot.” He said, “May you never be able to!” Nothing was stopping him but his stubborn arrogance, and he never raised his right hand to his mouth after that. (Reported by Muslim, 3776). According to a report narrated by al-Daarimi, “his right hand never reached his mouth”. This man suffered paralysis because of the du’aa’ of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “In this hadeeth we have an indication that it is allowed to pray against a person who breaks a shar’i rule with no excuse. We also see the principle of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil in all situations, even with regard to eating. It encourages us to teach proper manners of eating to a person who is eating if he is doing something wrong. The hadeeth also teaches us that the Shaytaan eats with his left hand, because of the hadeeth: “When any one of you eats, let him eat with his right hand, and when he drinks, let him drink with his right hand, because the Shaytaan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.” (Reported by Muslim, 3764). The Shaytaan eats with his left hand so the person who eats with his left hand resembles the Shaytaan, indeed the Shaytaan is sharing his food with him. Ahmad reported with a hasan isnaad from ‘Aa’ishah and attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever eats with his left hand, the Shaytaan eats with him.” (Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, commentary on hadeeth 1721)."
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my flatmate left what should I do? atehsaz Housing in general 48 24.02.2011 00:33
You know your left from your right, right? gata General off-topic 0 30.04.2010 17:23
Left-handedness Sada General off-topic 42 26.01.2010 01:14
[German] getting left behind... Guest Language corner 16 03.12.2006 11:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0