Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.01.2012, 20:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Morges
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kirabi has earned some respectKirabi has earned some respect
English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Hi there

I'm looking for an english (or german) speaking optician in Lausanne or Vaud. My eye sight has changed and therefore I need a proper fitting for new contact lenses. Any advice?

Thanks
Kirabi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.01.2012, 21:09
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz
Posts: 236
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 69 Posts
kalahari Girl is considered knowledgeablekalahari Girl is considered knowledgeablekalahari Girl is considered knowledgeable
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Just walk in by any optician closest to you..take the change.Most people do speak English.Just try it...only in that way will you find out.
Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.01.2012, 21:45
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,383
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,350 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Most of the opticians in central Lausanne will have someone who speaks either English or German so it should not be a problem. At worst, you might have to visit a couple. There is one large one beside the Globus store.

For info on your location, Vaud is Waadt (spelt with a W and not a V in German). You can also call it Waadtland.

Last edited by Verbier; 17.01.2012 at 21:46. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.01.2012, 22:21
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK, formerly Vaud
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,983 Times in 642 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

I don't know where you're from originally, but you might have a pleasant surprise when it comes to the actual eye test... I did coming from the UK.

My opticians here (and my opthalmologist) both have this nifty machine. You look into it for a few minutes, there's a small image (a hot air balloon over a road I think), which focuses and refocuses, and hey presto! Your eyesight has been tested. No need for reading letters off a chart with clumsy glasses while the optician inserts lens after lens and asks you 'Which is clearer? This one... or this one?' (continue ad infinitum).

If you wear glasses, they then borrow your glasses for 5 minutes and come back and inform you if you need new ones or not. Don't know about contact lenses.

And as others have said, most speak reasonable English, if they do need to ask you any questions. But be warned that the receptionist might not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.01.2012, 23:32
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 734
Groaned at 287 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know where you're from originally, but you might have a pleasant surprise when it comes to the actual eye test... I did coming from the UK.

My opticians here (and my opthalmologist) both have this nifty machine. You look into it for a few minutes, there's a small image (a hot air balloon over a road I think), which focuses and refocuses, and hey presto! Your eyesight has been tested. No need for reading letters off a chart with clumsy glasses while the optician inserts lens after lens and asks you 'Which is clearer? This one... or this one?' (continue ad infinitum).

If you wear glasses, they then borrow your glasses for 5 minutes and come back and inform you if you need new ones or not. Don't know about contact lenses.

And as others have said, most speak reasonable English, if they do need to ask you any questions. But be warned that the receptionist might not.
Can you tell me where in Lausanne (or wherever in VD you made this test) you can do a test like this? And how much does it cost? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.01.2012, 23:43
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Quote:
View Post
Can you tell me where in Lausanne (or wherever in VD you made this test) you can do a test like this? And how much does it cost? Thanks
I did this exact test in Lausanne many years ago at the Visilab on rue du Bourg. I can't remember how much it cost. I think it was free because I bought the contact lenses there.

This thread reminds me I need to update my contact prescription as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.01.2012, 08:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Morges
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kirabi has earned some respectKirabi has earned some respect
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Thanks for all your fast replies!!
Since I need special toric lenses and this usually takes 2 fitting appointments or more, I'm looking for a contact lenses specialized optician. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.01.2012, 09:23
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all your fast replies!!
Since I need special toric lenses and this usually takes 2 fitting appointments or more, I'm looking for a contact lenses specialized optician. Any recommendations?
The machine described by VLH and that I used at the Visilab detected that I had a slight astigmatism in one eye. Not enough (yet) to switch to toric lenses. But the machine did detect it, IIRC. It was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.01.2012, 15:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Akos084 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all your fast replies!!
Since I need special toric lenses and this usually takes 2 fitting appointments or more, I'm looking for a contact lenses specialized optician. Any recommendations?
Visilab on rue du Bourg

At least two of the opticians speaks English.
they seem quite experienced.
I tried some contact lenses, but unfortunately I was not comfortable with them -the lenses, not the opticians - and stuck with glasses.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.01.2012, 07:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Morges
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kirabi has earned some respectKirabi has earned some respect
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Thanks a lot! I will check Visilab.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.01.2012, 11:43
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK, formerly Vaud
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,983 Times in 642 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

Quote:
View Post
Can you tell me where in Lausanne (or wherever in VD you made this test) you can do a test like this? And how much does it cost? Thanks
I've had mine done in Berdoz Opticians... can't help you on the cost as I bought my glasses there and they didn't charge me anything extra...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.01.2012, 20:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Formerly Vaud
Posts: 169
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
henrikh has made some interesting contributions
Re: English speaking Optician in Vaud/Lausanne (new Contact lenses)?

I've been to Visilab in the Center Commercial in Crissier, the optician could speak English well.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about buying contact lenses online in CH sojoh Family matters/health 34 07.10.2015 11:36
Ortho-K Contact Lenses? mountain girl Family matters/health 0 24.01.2010 22:48
Contact Lenses Bugot Other/general 15 13.08.2007 11:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0