English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland) (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/140349-mosques-halal-restaurants-butchers-etc-etc-switzerland.html)

Kash_Z 02.03.2012 21:28

Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
I have an ongoing project to chart the locations of mosques, halal butchers and restaurants in Switzerland.

While there are many mosques and restaurants whose details I possess but haven't got round to visiting yet, there is enough information on the site now that I think it will be useful for those who are looking.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome of course:

http://www.halal-helvetica.ch

PS. The site also supports iPhone Safari.
PPS. Yep, i'm aware that not all the content is translated, but I'm working on that.

Maxplank 03.03.2012 10:03

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash_Z (Post 1502784)
I have an ongoing project to chart the locations of mosques, halal butchers and restaurants in Switzerland.

While there are many mosques and restaurants whose details I possess but haven't got round to visiting yet, there is enough information on the site now that I think it will be useful for those who are looking.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome of course:

http://www.halal-helvetica.ch

PS. The site also supports iPhone Safari.
PPS. Yep, i'm aware that not all the content is translated, but I'm working on that.

Excellent idea. There is one mosque in Bulach area. I will update the
address. Also there is a mosque in Teingen DE area. Address could be handy for shoppers.

mashy 03.03.2012 10:16

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Excellent effort, Gazakom Allah Khairan (arabic: means may God brings it back to you with good).

May I have a suggestion, if you don't mind

What if You made it also look like a list where you can select the city then get text information about locations inside this city, that might make it easier for others to use and also to print and share information around.

I just believe that the map is great but might be a bit misleading while looking for some details

I get very helpful information from this site

http://www.zabihah.com/b/Switzerland+86

All the best, efforts appreciated.

misr 03.03.2012 10:21

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Please let me know if you need help with Web design (during March)

I used the same link mentioned above, and here are list of what it mentions from halal food / restaurant, but as I can see you are trying to spend extra effort to make sure that it is really halal which is great

Good luck

Halal Food in Switzerland:

Aargau Includes Aarau
Appenzell Ausser-Rhoden Includes Herisan
Appenzell Inner-Rhoden Includes Appenzell
Basel-Landschaft Includes Liestal
Basel-Stadt Includes Basel
Bern
Fribourg
Geneva
Glarus
Graubunden
Jura Includes Delemont
Luzern Includes Lucerne
Neuchtel
Nidwalden Includes Stans
Obwalden Includes Sarnen
Sankt Gallen
Schafthausen
Schwyz
Solothum
Thurgao Includes Frauenfeld
Ticino Includes Bellinzona
Uri Includes Altorf
Valais Includes Sion
Vaud Includes Lausanne
Zug
Zurich

Kash_Z 03.03.2012 10:42

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Thanks for the feedback all.

@Maxplank - yes please add the details using the "Add a site" link on the website. Good idea to add places just over the border.

@Mashy - I'll add your suggestion to my ToDo list. :)

@Misr - thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch if i need some design help.

Guest 29.04.2012 17:54

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Modern stunning methods are actually not Haram (forbidden) as the animal although unconscious IS STILL ALIVE at the time of ritual cutting of the throat. So why not stun first, as it does allow for the Qu'ran orders to be followed?

Quote:

The stun used is a very low voltage that knocks the animal out for around 15-20 seconds. After 20 seconds it is potentially back to normal and during that 20 seconds it is alive and breathing. This means that when the animal is cut it still bleeds the animal properly. If any animal is stunned and as a consequence dies, it would be haram to eat. However the chances of this happening are extremely slim if not impossible. As we personally slaughter we are also able to see if signs of life still exist in the animal and that it has been bled properly.
Before starting this company we researched the area of stunning and were confused by mixed messages. The popular belief that stunning rendered meat as haram did not actually correspond to what scholars have said. We therefore sought guidance from trusted scholars. They, in agreement with many others, concluded that the act of stunning does not make meat haram as long as the animal is alive and the rules of slaughter are adhered to.
The Halal Meat Authorities
Many people in the UK are now obsessed with the issue of stunning having been given the impression that it is haram. What has in truth happened is that some within a certain UK halal meat authority have taken a disliking to stunning and as a consequence people have been (mis)informed that it is totally haram. In fact, the meat is still halal - all it means is that businesses can not get that authority's logo on their produce.
If one reads their literature or website carefully one will note that they do not term stunned meat as haram anywhere. What one finds is that they have implemented a "blanket policy" against stunning on the basis that there may be some doubt over whether or not an animal is alive at the time of slaughter. This shows that they agree that if a stunned animal is alive at the time of slaughter it is halal.
We asked the authority, the Halal Monitoring Committee, for their response on this matter and they kindly responded with the following proving that just because an animal is stunned it is not haram:
"HMC is erring the side of caution by adopting a blanket policy to the issue of stunning and not certifying it. HMC has never claimed that all animals die due to stunning or that stunning the animal renders the animal Haram automatically."
The Arguments
Some of the reasoning used by voices against stunning is based around the following ayat of the Quran:
"Forbidden to you (for food) are dead animal, blood, the flesh of swine, and that over which has been invoked other than the name of Allah, that which has been killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a headlong fall or by being gored to death, that which has been partly eaten by a wild animal, unless you are able to slaughter (in due form), and that which is sacrificed on stone (altars)." (5:3)
The authorities argue that:
1) Research has shown that animals can and do die from stunning. If an animal dies because of stunning it is haram to eat. As we can't be 100% sure that the animal was alive at the time of slaughter we should then avoid all stunned meat.
We are partly in agreement. However, as we work in an abattoir we know from first hand experience that it is impossible for a lamb to die from a low voltage stun. In addition, if we follow the logic that because an animal may "possibly die" before slaughter we should not eat it, then why do we not also apply that logic to the person slaughtering the animal? They "possibly" did not follow the correct procedures for the slaughtering in terms of carrying it out properly and as a result we should consider the meat as haram. In fact the chances of this happening are higher than an animal dying from stunning.
2) The ayah says, "forbidden to you is the blood to consume." The halal authorities state that blood is dangerous if left inside the meat. Stunning can cause more blood to stay in the animal if the animal dies before being slaughtered.
Again, this is only applicable to an animal that dies before slaughter. It is not applicable to those that are still alive with hearts pumping when slaughtered meaning the blood runs free from the animal just as it would if it were alive. Furthemore, there is independent research to suggest the bleeding of stunned animals is equal to those on un-stunned.
3) The ayah says, "and an animal killed by a violent blow". This is compared to the act of stunning an animal and therefore invalidates it being halal.
Anyone who works in an abattoir will tell you that when you stun a lamb, there is absolutely no "blow" as this would make it impossible to stun it. The tongs must be carefully placed on the head otherwise they would not stay there.
Fatwa about Stunning
Some of the halal meat authorities have cited fatwa from scholars to support their stance that it is haram. Upon closer inspection however one finds that such fatwa are quoted out of context and not in full.
For example, one fatwa oft cited is that of Muhammad Usman, Darul-Ifta, Jamia Sarul Uloom, Karachi. His fatwa has been used to say that stunning is haram, whereas if one reads the fatwa in full you will see that he in fact does not say it is haram at all but in fact that it is completely halal. A few of his comments include:
"As for the ruling regarding the meat of an animal slaughtered in this way [meaning stunned], if the animal was definitely alive at the time of slaughter, and was slaughtered correctly, it would be considered Halal."
"It is not correct to check some animals and deduce from this that the rest were also alive. In such a situation the meat of those animals about which it is known with certainty or beyond reasonable doubt that they were alive at the time of slaughter, and they were correctly slaughtered , will be considered Halal. And the meat of those animals about which it is known (or there is a strong possibility) that they were dead at the time of slaughter, or those animals about which it is not possible to ascertain if they were dead or alive at the time of slaughter, will not be considered Halal, and it is not permissible to use such meat."
"The jurists have mentioned many signs that can be taken as proof of an animal being alive at the time of slaughter, for example if the animal bleeds at the time of slaughter like a living animal, or closes its mouth or eyes, or pulls together its legs, or shows any kind of movement, etc. Therefore, if the fact that the animal was alive can be established in any way, it will be permissible to slaughter it, and its meat will be considered Halal. The observation of movement in the animal, or establishing the fact that a pulse exists is sufficient to prove an animal alive."
For more legal opinions from scholars please read Fatwa on Stunning Animals.
Conclusion
As mentioned above, in an ideal world stunning would not be used. However the act of stunning according to the principles of fiqh (jurisprudence) are not seen as rendering any meat haram as long as the animal is treated well, alive at the time of slaughter and all other necessary actions and conditions are carried out properly. This is the position adopted by the majority of scholars including the late Zaki Badawi and one adopted by the Halal Food Authority.
As a result all our meat is 100% halal - this is indisputable for the simple reason that we know that every animal slaughtered is alive at the time of slaughter.
In addition to being halal our meat has the extra benefits that it is tayyib - it has been ethically treated, free of injected hormones and alien bodies, grazed on organic grass and slaughtered by someone who takes the act seriously and conducts it according to the shariah.
Allah knows best.
http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/im...ion_header.gif

jeroen 29.04.2012 17:59

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Hmm how can you miss the Mosque on Forchstrasse Zurich? :)

There is even a wikipedia article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmood_Mosque_(Zurich))

it is there since 1963 and is the oldest one in Zurich. See also their own site at: http://www.ahmadiyya.ch/

re_born 29.04.2012 19:42

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
hey i was also searching for halal resturants in zurich , it would be great if there is a list of all the resturants that is halal in zurich.

Kash_Z 29.04.2012 19:59

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by re_born (Post 1548155)
hey i was also searching for halal resturants in zurich , it would be great if there is a list of all the resturants that is halal in zurich.

The best thing to do is to subscribe for updates:

http://www.halal-helvetica.ch/subscribe.php

I still need to build a page which will list all mosques/restaurants/butchers.

Guest 29.04.2012 20:57

Edited to remove confusing info

drmosaab 06.06.2012 03:33

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Great job.
i visited the website and i really liked it.
i will try to help if i know places.
I am using Zabiha.com now, but it is not updated.
BTW, Dominoes Pizza have a Halal nuggets and chicken strips, according to Moroccan brother work there, and he said it is written on the sac.

anishsha 21.01.2018 07:56

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Modern stunning methods are actually not Haram (forbidden) as the animal although unconscious IS STILL ALIVE at the time of ritual cutting of the throat. So why not stun first, as it does allow for the Qu'ran orders to be followed?

Quote:

The stun used is a very low voltage that knocks the animal out for around 15-20 seconds. After 20 seconds it is potentially back to normal and during that 20 seconds it is alive and breathing. This means that when the animal is cut it still bleeds the animal properly. If any animal is stunned and as a consequence dies, it would be haram to eat. However the chances of this happening are extremely slim if not impossible. As we personally slaughter we are also able to see if signs of life still exist in the animal and that it has been bled properly.
Before starting this company we researched the area of stunning and were confused by mixed messages. The popular belief that stunning rendered meat as haram did not actually correspond to what scholars have said. We therefore sought guidance from trusted scholars. They, in agreement with many others, concluded that the act of stunning does not make meat haram as long as the animal is alive and the rules of slaughter are adhered to.
The Halal Meat Authorities
Many people in the UK are now obsessed with the issue of stunning having been given the impression that it is haram. What has in truth happened is that some within a certain UK halal meat authority have taken a disliking to stunning and as a consequence people have been (mis)informed that it is totally haram. In fact, the meat is still halal - all it means is that businesses can not get that authority's logo on their produce.
If one reads their literature or website carefully one will note that they do not term stunned meat as haram anywhere. What one finds is that they have implemented a "blanket policy" against stunning on the basis that there may be some doubt over whether or not an animal is alive at the time of slaughter. This shows that they agree that if a stunned animal is alive at the time of slaughter it is halal.
We asked the authority, the Halal Monitoring Committee, for their response on this matter and they kindly responded with the following proving that just because an animal is stunned it is not haram:
"HMC is erring the side of caution by adopting a blanket policy to the issue of stunning and not certifying it. HMC has never claimed that all animals die due to stunning or that stunning the animal renders the animal Haram automatically."
The Arguments
Some of the reasoning used by voices against stunning is based around the following ayat of the Quran:
"Forbidden to you (for food) are dead animal, blood, the flesh of swine, and that over which has been invoked other than the name of Allah, that which has been killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a headlong fall or by being gored to death, that which has been partly eaten by a wild animal, unless you are able to slaughter (in due form), and that which is sacrificed on stone (altars)." (5:3)
The authorities argue that:
1) Research has shown that animals can and do die from stunning. If an animal dies because of stunning it is haram to eat. As we can't be 100% sure that the animal was alive at the time of slaughter we should then avoid all stunned meat.
We are partly in agreement. However, as we work in an abattoir we know from first hand experience that it is impossible for a lamb to die from a low voltage stun. In addition, if we follow the logic that because an animal may "possibly die" before slaughter we should not eat it, then why do we not also apply that logic to the person slaughtering the animal? They "possibly" did not follow the correct procedures for the slaughtering in terms of carrying it out properly and as a result we should consider the meat as haram. In fact the chances of this happening are higher than an animal dying from stunning.
2) The ayah says, "forbidden to you is the blood to consume." The halal authorities state that blood is dangerous if left inside the meat. Stunning can cause more blood to stay in the animal if the animal dies before being slaughtered.
Again, this is only applicable to an animal that dies before slaughter. It is not applicable to those that are still alive with hearts pumping when slaughtered meaning the blood runs free from the animal just as it would if it were alive. Furthemore, there is independent research to suggest the bleeding of stunned animals is equal to those on un-stunned.
3) The ayah says, "and an animal killed by a violent blow". This is compared to the act of stunning an animal and therefore invalidates it being halal.
Anyone who works in an abattoir will tell you that when you stun a lamb, there is absolutely no "blow" as this would make it impossible to stun it. The tongs must be carefully placed on the head otherwise they would not stay there.
Fatwa about Stunning
Some of the halal meat authorities have cited fatwa from scholars to support their stance that it is haram. Upon closer inspection however one finds that such fatwa are quoted out of context and not in full.
For example, one fatwa oft cited is that of Muhammad Usman, Darul-Ifta, Jamia Sarul Uloom, Karachi. His fatwa has been used to say that stunning is haram, whereas if one reads the fatwa in full you will see that he in fact does not say it is haram at all but in fact that it is completely halal. A few of his comments include:
"As for the ruling regarding the meat of an animal slaughtered in this way [meaning stunned], if the animal was definitely alive at the time of slaughter, and was slaughtered correctly, it would be considered Halal."
"It is not correct to check some animals and deduce from this that the rest were also alive. In such a situation the meat of those animals about which it is known with certainty or beyond reasonable doubt that they were alive at the time of slaughter, and they were correctly slaughtered , will be considered Halal. And the meat of those animals about which it is known (or there is a strong possibility) that they were dead at the time of slaughter, or those animals about which it is not possible to ascertain if they were dead or alive at the time of slaughter, will not be considered Halal, and it is not permissible to use such meat."
"The jurists have mentioned many signs that can be taken as proof of an animal being alive at the time of slaughter, for example if the animal bleeds at the time of slaughter like a living animal, or closes its mouth or eyes, or pulls together its legs, or shows any kind of movement, etc. Therefore, if the fact that the animal was alive can be established in any way, it will be permissible to slaughter it, and its meat will be considered Halal. The observation of movement in the animal, or establishing the fact that a pulse exists is sufficient to prove an animal alive."
For more legal opinions from scholars please read Fatwa on Stunning Animals.
Conclusion
As mentioned above, in an ideal world stunning would not be used. However the act of stunning according to the principles of fiqh (jurisprudence) are not seen as rendering any meat haram as long as the animal is treated well, alive at the time of slaughter and all other necessary actions and conditions are carried out properly. This is the position adopted by the majority of scholars including the late Zaki Badawi and one adopted by the Halal Food Authority.
As a result all our meat is 100% halal - this is indisputable for the simple reason that we know that every animal slaughtered is alive at the time of slaughter.
In addition to being halal our meat has the extra benefits that it is tayyib - it has been ethically treated, free of injected hormones and alien bodies, grazed on organic grass and slaughtered by someone who takes the act seriously and conducts it according to the shariah.
Allah knows best.
http://www.organic-halal-meat.com/im...ion_header.gif


So u mean all the meat ( chicken , mutton and beef ) used in restaurants of Switzerland are halal?

meloncollie 21.01.2018 10:00

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anishsha (Post 2899680)
So u mean all the meat ( chicken , mutton and beef ) used in restaurants of Switzerland are halal?

No, quite the opposite.

You should assume that all meat is NOT halal unless specifically labeled as such.

There has been a political controversy in the last some years over halal/kosher slaughter wrt Swiss slaughter laws, as Switzerland strictly requires that an animal be stunned before slaughter. Odile's post points out that stunning can be halal, that halal slaughter does nto have to conflict with Swiss animal welfare law. I will leave theological debate to others, as that is not my area.

While there are more halal resources now than even a few years ago, be aware that the norm in Switzerland is most definitely not halal - neither in the chain grocery stores (Coop. Mirgros, Volk, Spar, Aldi, Lidl) or in typical Swiss restaurants. Some of the larger chains might carry a few halal products in their stores in the larger cities, but they are unlikely to carry halal meat. For that you generally need to find a speciality halal butcher.

Yes today you can find some halal markets and halal restaurants in the larger cities - but be aware that Uzwil is a fairly small town and not very international. When you arrive, your best bet would likely be to connect with a local mosque, ask the folks there about where to shop and eat.

anishsha 21.01.2018 13:04

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 2899702)
No, quite the opposite.

You should assume that all meat is NOT halal unless specifically labeled as such.

There has been a political controversy in the last some years over halal/kosher slaughter wrt Swiss slaughter laws, as Switzerland strictly requires that an animal be stunned before slaughter. Odile's post points out that stunning can be halal, that halal slaughter does nto have to conflict with Swiss animal welfare law. I will leave theological debate to others, as that is not my area.

While there are more halal resources now than even a few years ago, be aware that the norm in Switzerland is most definitely not halal - neither in the chain grocery stores (Coop. Mirgros, Volk, Spar, Aldi, Lidl) or in typical Swiss restaurants. Some of the larger chains might carry a few halal products in their stores in the larger cities, but they are unlikely to carry halal meat. For that you generally need to find a speciality halal butcher.

Yes today you can find some halal markets and halal restaurants in the larger cities - but be aware that Uzwil is a fairly small town and not very international. When you arrive, your best bet would likely be to connect with a local mosque, ask the folks there about where to shop and eat.

Thanks a lot for giving a clear picture , I have seen there’s a mosque in Wil,so will have to inquire people there. I was able to find halal food near to a mosque in Zurich when I came last time 3 years back

Urs Max 22.01.2018 08:46

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
There's also an Islamic Verein (club) in Wil SG, I'm sure they know where halal meat is sold, if any. They're at Tödistrasse 2, phone is 071-912 26 98.

anishsha 23.01.2018 12:32

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 2900061)
There's also an Islamic Verein (club) in Wil SG, I'm sure they know where halal meat is sold, if any. They're at Tödistrasse 2, phone is 071-912 26 98.

Thank You :-)

anishsha 19.02.2018 15:07

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 2900061)
There's also an Islamic Verein (club) in Wil SG, I'm sure they know where halal meat is sold, if any. They're at Tödistrasse 2, phone is 071-912 26 98.

Any info in St.Gallen?

Gemorjam 06.03.2018 09:36

Re: Mosques, Halal restaurants & butchers, etc. etc. (in Switzerland)
 
It is misleading. You should not create any entries before you check location. Ittifak Butcher has been closed in Basel.

Also new restaurant(Restaurant Terrasse) has been opened at Riehenring 117, Basel. Owner don't use any meat from Switzerland. Instead he imports all meat from France to be %100 secure himself from modern stunned way of slaughter. He is also pretty sensitive about food additives (E-numbers). I appreciate his precision!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0