Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.05.2012, 09:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slinkmeyer has no particular reputation at present
Getting accepted to Swiss university

So I'm very interested in doing my studies in Switzerland, I'm looking at université de genevè and plan on applying in January. I am a united states citizen, I have never lived in Switzerland but have contacts there. What's the likelihood of getting accepted? Thanks?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.05.2012, 09:38
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,354
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,964 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

I would approach the university directly and ask them - they will want you to formally apply then they can assess your application. You might be able to apply soon, then if you are accepted, defer your studies to a later start date - you could ask the university if that is possible.

I'm guessing January is a mid-year intake ? I'm not sure if it will be more likely to get a spot in the main intake in September, or I assume the mid-year intake, which is probably smaller... The university would tell you that too... if there's any difference.

It might also be a 'pass/fail' entry criteria - ie. if you fit the criteria, they offer the place, if you don't, you don't and it's not down to quotas...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.05.2012, 09:44
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
So I'm very interested in doing my studies in Switzerland, I'm looking at université de genevè and plan on applying in January. I am a united states citizen, I have never lived in Switzerland but have contacts there. What's the likelihood of getting accepted? Thanks?
What level have you currently achieved, and what level are you applying for?

If its not an international baccalaureate, or at least a full year of university undergrad work, then absolutely no chance.

Here is the official requirements list:
http://www.crus.ch/information-progr...-unis.html?L=1


Note that these requirements are federally mandated, andnot up to the individual university - exceptions being the eth/SPF and private.


Of course, if you're after a masters, then things are different.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fridge for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.05.2012, 09:52
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
I would approach the university directly and ask them - they will want you to formally apply then they can assess your application. You might be able to apply soon, then if you are accepted, defer your studies to a later start date - you could ask the university if that is possible.

I'm guessing January is a mid-year intake ? I'm not sure if it will be more likely to get a spot in the main intake in September, or I assume the mid-year intake, which is probably smaller... The university would tell you that too... if there's any difference.

It might also be a 'pass/fail' entry criteria - ie. if you fit the criteria, they offer the place, if you don't, you don't and it's not down to quotas...
I didn't get jan entrance from an initial read, but jan application. International applications open from nov, I believe, so this should be in line for a normal sep intake.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31.05.2012, 11:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slinkmeyer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

I've been living in Uruguay for two years on a religious/humanitarian mission for the Past two years but I'm taking classes right now at my local university, I'm fluent in a few languages and have other course work completed so I can pass out of a few classes easily with high marks and have an associates in a week, that was the idea so that I might be eligible for doing my entire bachelor's over there. I'm wondering if that will get me through? I can apply whenever so I guess I would be applying in November. Is this possible what I'm planning or is it a long shot?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.05.2012, 11:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slinkmeyer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

Quote:
View Post
What level have you currently achieved, and what level are you applying for?

If its not an international baccalaureate, or at least a full year of university undergrad work, then absolutely no chance.

Here is the official requirements list:
http://www.crus.ch/information-progr...-unis.html?L=1


Note that these requirements are federally mandated, andnot up to the individual university - exceptions being the eth/SPF and private.


Of course, if you're after a masters, then things are different.
Thanks for the info, so I'm guessing AP there means an advanced placement class and test..?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.05.2012, 11:54
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,321
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

All the information you'll ever need for enrolling at UniGe is on here:

http://www.unige.ch/dife/immatricula...atenglish.html

And all the country-specific info is here:

http://www.swissuniversity.ch/

Tuition fees are low but living costs are high, so expect to be asked to show that you are able to support yourself financially.

Also, if you have no certificates to prove your ability to speak and write French, you will have to take an exam to demonstrate that you can use the language well enough to complete the course.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.05.2012, 17:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slinkmeyer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

Sweet, thanks I'm working on my French right now, Does it need to be perfect?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.05.2012, 19:01
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,321
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

It has to be at least good enough to understand the document, which tells you how good it has to be

http://www.unige.ch/dife/immatricula...efrancais.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.05.2012, 19:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slinkmeyer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

easy as tarte
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.05.2012, 20:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MightyMaggie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

Hello, my name is Maggie and I'm coming to Lausanne this summer to visit my cousin. Maybe I am going to work as a baby sitter or something, but I would like to learn more about studying in Lausanne. I am studying in Skopje, faculty of Translation and Interpretation. My mother language is Macedonian, my second language is English, and my third is French. I am 2nd year, and this year I would like to transfer in Lausanne. Can someone tell me if there is a way to continue my studies there, or maybe I could start from the beginning. Is there a department of studying English in the University of Lausanne? Do they offer scholarships for foreign students, and if they don't how much it will cost me for a year? Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.06.2012, 14:13
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting accepted to Swiss university

Quote:
View Post
I've been living in Uruguay for two years on a religious/humanitarian mission for the Past two years but I'm taking classes right now at my local university, I'm fluent in a few languages and have other course work completed so I can pass out of a few classes easily with high marks and have an associates in a week, that was the idea so that I might be eligible for doing my entire bachelor's over there. I'm wondering if that will get me through? I can apply whenever so I guess I would be applying in November. Is this possible what I'm planning or is it a long shot?

Quote:
comportant les branches de formation générale suivantes
(pendant les 3 dernières années)
Première langue (langue maternelle)
Deuxième langue
Mathématiques
Sciences naturelles (biologie, chimie ou physique)
Sciences humaines et sociales (géographie, histoire ou économie/droit)
choix libre (une branche parmi les branches 2, 4 ou 5)

Genève
Diplôme universitaire (au minimum 3 ans)
Looks like you need another year of university work, and have to have completed the first list during your secondary education.






Quote:
View Post
Hello, my name is Maggie and I'm coming to Lausanne this summer to visit my cousin. Maybe I am going to work as a baby sitter or something, but I would like to learn more about studying in Lausanne. I am studying in Skopje, faculty of Translation and Interpretation. My mother language is Macedonian, my second language is English, and my third is French. I am 2nd year, and this year I would like to transfer in Lausanne. Can someone tell me if there is a way to continue my studies there, or maybe I could start from the beginning. Is there a department of studying English in the University of Lausanne? Do they offer scholarships for foreign students, and if they don't how much it will cost me for a year? Thank you.
Seriously, links are put up for a reason, so that you can read the info on specific details for yourself.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fridge for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it difficult to get accepted into a university in Switzerland? Swisstobe Other/general 13 20.02.2018 04:23
English International Ed. (Alevels) to a local Swiss University? julian94 Other/general 0 13.09.2011 21:26
Is entrapment an accepted method for Swiss police? Starald Complaints corner 116 14.04.2011 02:08
Advice on getting [non-Swiss health] insurance accepted in canton. Godfather Insurance 2 13.12.2009 11:05
Children Transitioning to Swiss University ExPadd Family matters/health 7 14.05.2008 23:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0