Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.06.2012, 10:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weaseltron has no particular reputation at present
Air Conditioning

Hi all, just a quick question.

Due to being from the UK and generally afraid of heat I would like to invest in some kind of AC unit, something like this:

http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/p...ass/detail.jsf

For anyone that has one, do you have any idea how much they cost to run, assuming I was to use it fairly regularly, say 5 hours per day.

Thanks a lot for any answers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.06.2012, 11:04
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Conditioning

Quote:
View Post
Hi all, just a quick question.

Due to being from the UK and generally afraid of heat I would like to invest in some kind of AC unit, something like this:

http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/p...ass/detail.jsf

For anyone that has one, do you have any idea how much they cost to run, assuming I was to use it fairly regularly, say 5 hours per day.

Thanks a lot for any answers

It would probably cost you a few francs per day.
Assuming 8000 btu, and depending on you kWh cost of electricity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.06.2012, 11:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Air Conditioning

5 hours per day for ow many days? LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.06.2012, 11:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weaseltron has no particular reputation at present
Re: Air Conditioning

Quote:
5 hours per day for ow many days? LOL.
Good point, that would have been helpful information! Say, 5 hours per day for 1 month.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.06.2012, 11:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weaseltron has no particular reputation at present
Re: Air Conditioning

Quote:
View Post
It would probably cost you a few francs per day.
Assuming 8000 btu, and depending on you kWh cost of electricity.
Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.06.2012, 11:20
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Conditioning

I used one for a couple of summers, and I don't think it made a noticeable different to the bills.

Be advised, however, that these portable machines, exhaust very warm air as a by-product and this has to directed through a tube (normally provided) through a partly opened window, or vent hole in the wall. Thus they are not as truly portable as you may want.

The one I had was bigger and only just about coped to drop the temperature down to a near comfortable threshold. I could also use it to extract moisture (mainly in winter), but after 2 summers and 2 winters the compressor gave out. Fortunately I bought it from Bauhaus and got a full refund after 21/2yrs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.06.2012, 12:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weaseltron has no particular reputation at present
Re: Air Conditioning

Quote:
View Post
I used one for a couple of summers, and I don't think it made a noticeable different to the bills.

Be advised, however, that these portable machines, exhaust very warm air as a by-product and this has to directed through a tube (normally provided) through a partly opened window, or vent hole in the wall. Thus they are not as truly portable as you may want.

The one I had was bigger and only just about coped to drop the temperature down to a near comfortable threshold. I could also use it to extract moisture (mainly in winter), but after 2 summers and 2 winters the compressor gave out. Fortunately I bought it from Bauhaus and got a full refund after 21/2yrs.
Thanks, thats very helpful. I am aware of the need to direct the tube out of the window and thats fine, just need something to make it a little less overpoweringly warm
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.06.2012, 12:28
VocalID's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Finsterhennen BE
Posts: 211
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 65 Posts
VocalID has earned some respectVocalID has earned some respect
Re: Air Conditioning

what you need to look out for is the noise, 56 dB is quite loud IMO.
In the night time, that would drive me bonkers!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VocalID for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.06.2012, 18:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,249
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Conditioning

We have an air conditioner - maybe a bit bigger than that - which is about 9 years old now, so I'm assuming less energy efficient than newer models.

We only run it about 2-4 weeks a year, and it hasn't been needed every year.

The difference in our electricity costs is negligable.

IMHO, a good investment when one's sanity is at stake.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.06.2012, 19:51
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Conditioning

The problem with these small portable units is the need to leave the window open, and thus letting the warm air inside.
Another possibility is to attach the hose to the venting pipe in the toilet ceiling.
Or to buy a piece of plywood which fits the open window frame exactly.
Then cut a hole in the board and connect the hose.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air conditioning / dehumidifiers samj Daily life 4 19.10.2010 14:37
air conditioning refill travnett Transportation/driving 1 13.07.2010 17:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0