English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   How did you find a lawyer? (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/205551-how-did-you-find-lawyer.html)

lebuda 07.04.2014 23:07

How did you find a lawyer?
 
I happened to be in a situation that requires help of a lawyer.

Obviously, I'd like to find someone who has plenty of experience, and ideally someone who has expertise in a particular area of criminal law I need help with (defamation).

I'm struggling to find someone.

Searching online did not prove to be fruitful - I have not found a single firm who talks about expertise in this particular area.

I asked around but nobody could recommend me someone.

How did you find a lawyer? Can someone please give me an idea on how I could find a good lawyer?

Thanks a lot in advance.

st2lemans 07.04.2014 23:27

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lebuda (Post 2129206)
How did you find a lawyer?

By having a number of them among my close friends. ;)

Tom

xkcd 07.04.2014 23:39

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lebuda (Post 2129206)
How did you find a lawyer? Can someone please give me an idea on how I could find a good lawyer?

I just look in the mirror - works fine every morning. :rolleyes:

You do not tell us whether your case deals with your neighbor or someone on an internet portal based on the other side of the globe. Most law offices in Olten should be able to handle the first scenario and may have to learn their way around the second scenario.
Then there may be law offices which specialize in one or just a few particular areas. You may want to avoid such specialists, unless it is the area of expertise you are looking for.
This is the link to the Swiss Bar Association: https://www.sav-fsa.ch/ (their English language content is somewhat limited, though).
On this page you can search by location, expertise and language skills: http://www.anwaltvergleich.ch/ There are 17 lawyers in Olten which list English language skills and Criminal law as an area of expertise. Without having taken a closer look I assume that the information is basically a collection of information by the lawyers - no third party quality checks. However, there are a few ratings on this side.
Depending on your language skills you can also search for "Anwaltssuche".

Captain Greybeard 08.04.2014 01:10

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Lebuda, I hope xkcd's advice provides some help. You are in a typical Swiss situation. In this country, lawyers are few and far between, simply because only very few people ever need one.

I spent about 60 years in Switzerland. The only lawyer I ever met was the husband of one of my wife's cousins, and I knew lots of people. Then I moved to the USA (only part-time), and I realized I needed a lawyer for procedures for which there isn't even a German word.

It was easy to find them, just next door on both sides, a total of eleven law offices with 16 lawyers in a one-cow town with 680 inhabitants. My home town in Switzerland, 5430 inhabitants, has one. ONE! That says enough.

Granted, I could have used a lawyer for my utterly messy divorce in Switzerland, but in retrospect I had to realize that it would just have cost me even much more. Fortunately, said wife pillaged my accounts so efficiently, I couldn't even afford a lawyer, and that was a good thing.

lebuda 08.04.2014 01:40

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2129217)
By having a number of them among my close friends. ;)

Tom

Hi Tom,
recognized you from the userpic :)

Anyone you can recommend in AG / SO / BS?

lebuda 08.04.2014 01:58

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
My case is defamation (libel). Turns out it is a criminal offense in Switzerland so I am looking for someone with expertise in criminal law.

The person I'd like to sue has lots of money and a good lawyer, so I want to be well prepared and lawyer up as good as possible - I realize being right is not going to be enough to win. So I am not limiting my search to 0lten, anyone in central switzerland would be perfect, as long as they have dealt with cases like this before.

I did search Swiss Bar Association site today already. For my canton/criminal law there was something like 20 lawyers. I checked them all, none mentions expertise in defamation. Does being listed in Swiss Bar Association guarantee they are any good? I had a feeling choosing someone from there was as good as randomly picking someone from google search results.

I'm afraid to make a bad choice and hurt my reputation even further, plus lose a lot of money while doing that.

lebuda 08.04.2014 02:00

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 2129254)
I spent about 60 years in Switzerland. The only lawyer I ever met was the husband of one of my wife's cousins, and I knew lots of people.

Exactly the feeling I have! Not even a friend of a friend of a friend, nothing. It does feel weird compared to the USA.

nickatbasel 08.04.2014 08:02

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Are you sure you want to be discussing your case on a public forum? Even the limited details you gave could harm your case.

st2lemans 08.04.2014 08:43

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lebuda (Post 2129257)
Hi Tom,
recognized you from the userpic :)

Anyone you can recommend in AG / SO / BS?

No, I only know lawyers in Ticino and Italy.

Tom

krlock3 08.04.2014 09:09

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Just avoid it if you can.

Who is most likely to win? Clear answer: the lawyers.

Treverus 08.04.2014 09:23

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lebuda (Post 2129260)
My case is defamation (libel). Turns out it is a criminal offense in Switzerland so I am looking for someone with expertise in criminal law.


Well, maybe I am completely misunderstanding you, but you do not need a lawyer with expertise in criminal law to report a crime - you simply go to the cops. They record your case and bring it to a state attorney to review it. If somebody steals your wallet do you not need the better lawyer than the thief...

Before you go there should you however understand what crime the person actually committed (in your eyes at least):
http://www.beobachter.ch/justiz-beho...s-vor-gericht/

aSwissInTheUS 08.04.2014 09:25

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Looking for a lawyer and you have no clue?

It is like you are looking for the last player of your soccer team. Assume you have only two options the Swiss kid or the Brasilian kid. Which one would you choose w/o any other prior knowledge?

See, it is simple, it is the Brasilian one. Same goes for a lawyer, choose the Jewish one. Basel Stadt is a good place to look and find one.

PS: Unless you had or may have a big finacial loss because of the defamation I would suck it up. Because involving a lawyer means a financial loss for sure.

lebuda 08.04.2014 09:33

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickatbasel (Post 2129297)
Are you sure you want to be discussing your case on a public forum? Even the limited details you gave could harm your case.

I am not discussing the details :) Mentioning the type of criminal law that handles these cases is hardly the details.

lebuda 08.04.2014 09:41

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 2129338)
Well, maybe I am completely misunderstanding you, but you do not need a lawyer with expertise in criminal law to report a crime - you simply go to the cops. They record your case and bring it to a state attorney to review it. If somebody steals your wallet do you not need the better lawyer than the thief...

Before you go there should you however understand what crime the person actually committed (in your eyes at least):
http://www.beobachter.ch/justiz-beho...s-vor-gericht/

Yes, I know I need to go to the cops. But I'm sure there are some details that could make a difference. I think getting a lawyer would be wise, even though technically I don't need one. I did read beobachter article (and many other articles, and the criminal law articles, and and and). The crime the person actually committed is not 'in my eyes', it's a fact. I know what I've been accused of, and I know what the facts are. Unless that person is also willing to fake some documents, she has no way out of this.

lebuda 08.04.2014 09:45

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 2129339)
Looking for a lawyer and you have no clue?

It is like you are looking for the last player of your soccer team. Assume you have only two options the Swiss kid or the Brasilian kid. Which one would you choose w/o any other prior knowledge?

See, it is simple, it is the Brasilian one. Same goes for a lawyer, choose the Jewish one.

An interesting statement :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 2129339)
Basel Stadt is a good place to look and find one.

Pick random jewish lawyer from basel phone book?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 2129339)
PS: Unless you had or may have a big finacial loss because of the defamation I would suck it up. Because involving a lawyer means a financial loss for sure.

I am filing for both monetary and non-monetary damages. Also the damage to my reputation is too big of a deal to let this one go.

krlock3 08.04.2014 11:15

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Trouble in Olten, huh?

Just be warned. Filing a case like this is rarely a stress free experience either, and can do more harm than good. And defamation claims are NOT a big thing in Switzerland as far as I know.

Make sure you ask yourself, is it really worth it.

lebuda 08.04.2014 11:21

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlock3 (Post 2129434)
Trouble in Olten, huh?

Just be warned. Filing a case like this is rarely a stress free experience either, and can do more harm than good. And defamation claims are NOT a big thing in Switzerland as far as I know.

Make sure you ask yourself, is it really worth it.

Well, I am already under stress from being showered with crap, and losing my job over this. It does not look like this is going to stop either - on the side of offender - so no, I don't think this will cause more stress and harm.

What is consider a 'big thing'? Up to three years in jail does seem like a big deal to me. Unlike the USA, it's a criminal offense here. Certainly sounds like a big deal to me.

Treverus 08.04.2014 11:31

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lebuda (Post 2129439)
What is consider a 'big thing'? Up to three years in jail does seem like a big deal to me. Unlike the USA, it's a criminal offense here. Certainly sounds like a big deal to me.

What he is getting at is that it is culturally not common to sue, as for example in the US. You only do it in severe cases... you seem to be one, so best of luck. I'd personally still just go to the cops and I don't think most people talk to criminal law experts before filing, those experts are usually hired by the defense side...


Anyway - good luck, sounds like you don't really need it, so more "good perseverance"...

StevieRayV 08.04.2014 11:46

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
I was recently in a situation where I needed to find a lawyer for a dispute with a company regarding their billing for a service they did not render. Like you, I didn't know where to start. I posted on here and had an offer from another member.

In the end, I went to a service provided the association of Vaud lawyers. It is a walk-in legal advice service where you pay a flat fee of 40chf for a 15 minute consultation. It was a great first step because the lawyer I saw assured me I had a case, but that I needed to get a lawyer to write a letter to the company in order to recoup my money.

Here is the link to the Vaud sevice: http://www.oav.ch/site/#.U0PDU8daOUc

The lawyer I saw gave me a recommendation for someone specialising in the area of law I required and within the week I had a consultation and a letter was sent on my behalf. It actually took a couple of letters to get the company to give me my money back, but I did get it in the end. For the initial consultation and two letters sent on my behalf, plus all the back and forth between the lawyer and myself, cost me a bit over 600Chf.

So, I would try and find a similar walk-in service in your area. Spend the 40Chf or so to get some initial advice and then have them recommend the best lawyer/law firm to deal with your issue.

lebuda 08.04.2014 12:00

Re: How did you find a lawyer?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 2129448)
What he is getting at is that it is culturally not common to sue, as for example in the US. You only do it in severe cases... you seem to be one, so best of luck. I'd personally still just go to the cops and I don't think most people talk to criminal law experts before filing, those experts are usually hired by the defense side...


Anyway - good luck, sounds like you don't really need it, so more "good perseverance"...

Yes, I realize this. I think it's not common because it's simply too expensive so you won't try suing your neighbour over an insult.

I've seen many of my friends being screwed over in divorce cases because they did not think they need a lawyer. I won't be making a mistake like that - better safe than sorry.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0