Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 02.02.2015, 16:52
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,863
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 20,984 Times in 8,652 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
he also just bought a Harley and an old 911, but his 19 yr old girlfriend* tells him he isn't having a mid life crisis



* in his dreams lol
An old 911 is in most peoples' dreams. They're going for serious money now.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02.02.2015, 16:53
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
An old 911 is in most peoples' dreams. They're going for serious money now.

was being kind, old as in knackered, not as in classic
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 02.02.2015, 16:53
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Yeah mon
There are alot of different kinds of people, with hairstyles that aren't done because they want to reminisce their Jamaican holiday. In the last year I spent alot of time with people that have them, of all different ages. The ones I want to get done will be tame by those standards. I don't smoke pot, and am a very clean person. I was my hands like 200 times a day and detest the smell of patchouli.

As I said before, I know many professional chefs with dreds, all kept under a toque. I have long hair and it is not the norm in the kitchen, I also keep it under wraps. I think the bigger issue I would have is if I decided to put them blue. Last summer I had my hair blue and then green for a couple months. My boss had a good laugh and told me to bag it up. During street parade I had feathers woven in as well I couldn't remove in enough time before service. Again under the toque no one sees.

I guess my biggest concern would be going to meetings with potential clients. I wonder if I could get away with a wearing a hat of some kind. But I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02.02.2015, 16:55
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
I guess my biggest concern would be going to meetings with potential clients. I wonder if I could get away with a wearing a hat of some kind. But I doubt it.

No problem

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 02.02.2015, 16:57
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
It was rhetorical. You're hardly going to say 'yes', are you.

(I just did a search on midlife crisis + deadlocks. There are quite a few hits...).
Just to be clear. I have never been the conservative type. I grew up on rave culture and hip hop. I still go to parties, open airs, etc. And I have always worked in music as a side thing. I have had my hair as a Devils Lock, Mohawk, and variety of things in between. I have always been able to make those looks work in my field.

Dreads are something different.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #86  
Old 02.02.2015, 17:41
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,854
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,678 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Neither of those two guys have the look I am going for.
Can you post a picture of what yours would look like? I only know the second look.

Ps i would hire you to cater a party over a non dreadlock guy if you both came out of an interview the same. But then i like stuff like these in professional types
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 02.02.2015, 17:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
As I said before, I know many professional chefs with dreds, all kept under a toque. I have long hair and it is not the norm in the kitchen, I also keep it under wraps. I think the bigger issue I would have is if I decided to put them blue. Last summer I had my hair blue and then green for a couple months. My boss had a good laugh and told me to bag it up. During street parade I had feathers woven in as well I couldn't remove in enough time before service. Again under the toque no one sees.

I guess my biggest concern would be going to meetings with potential clients. I wonder if I could get away with a wearing a hat of some kind. But I doubt it.
The problem has deeper roots than I thought
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:06
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,866
Groaned at 1,975 Times in 1,494 Posts
Thanked 34,249 Times in 16,291 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
he also just bought a Harley and an old 911, but his 19 yr old girlfriend* tells him he isn't having a mid life crisis
If I were to buy a Harley, it wouldn't be due to a mid-life crisis, rather that I'm getting too old for real bikes.

(and that I've passed retirement age)

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:12
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,464
Groaned at 76 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 17,102 Times in 7,734 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Can you post a picture of what yours would look like? I only know the second look...
Here's what he posted on the first page (I have no idea what OP looks like irl, so no clue if this would look good or ridiculous on him):

Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:13
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
he also just bought a Harley and an old 911, but his 19 yr old girlfriend* tells him he isn't having a mid life crisis



* in his dreams lol
What do you mean exactly by this?

Quote:
View Post
Here's what he posted on the first page (I have no idea what OP looks like irl, so no clue if this would look good or ridiculous on him):
Actually after further research they will not look knotty like that anymore.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 02.02.2015 at 18:24. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Just to be clear, almost all cooks and chefs are of the "grass" variety, however clean cut they look.
That may be. But not "in-your-face-Rasta". Are they also self-employed and having to conduct interviews personally with prospective clients? With the dreadlocks it`s a given they`re Ganja smokers, without dreadlocks what they smoke is not in question.

You keep defending yourself with whatever replies you get. It`s not our job to convince you that you could become the next Jamie Oliver, irrespective of what impression you give. Maybe when you do get to that stage, your appearance won`t matter so much?

I`d say green or blue hair, a mohahawk, or whatever might (a big might, and lots of luck) be ok, but dreadlocks doesn`t fit the bill with public catering. At open air concerts it`d be a bit hit. In someone`s crystal chandelier hung dining room you gonna look stupid, same in up-market boardrooms, or corporate catering.

Could be you`d also begin to have difficulties getting past the door-men in buildings?

But do go ahead. And keep us informed of the outcome. Maybe the world is a much more enlightened and un-judgemental place these days.

Even if it is, appearances still DO matter - if one is self-employed in the world outside of open air concerts and esoteric cliques of uniqueness.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:25
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
That may be. But not "in-your-face-Rasta". Are they also self-employed and having to conduct interviews personally with prospective clients? With the dreadlocks it`s a given they`re Ganja smokers, without dreadlocks what they smoke is not in question.

You keep defending yourself with whatever replies you get. It`s not our job to convince you that you could become the next Jamie Oliver, irrespective of what impression you give. Maybe when you do get to that stage, your appearance won`t matter so much?

I`d say green or blue hair, a mohahawk, or whatever might (a big might, and lots of luck) be ok, but dreadlocks doesn`t fit the bill with public catering. At open air concerts it`d be a bit hit. In someone`s crystal chandelier hung dining room you gonna look stupid, same in up-market boardrooms, or corporate catering.

Could be you`d also begin to have difficulties getting past the door-men in buildings?

But do go ahead. And keep us informed of the outcome. Maybe the world is a much more enlightened and un-judgemental place these days.

Even if it is, appearances still DO matter - if one is self-employed in the world outside of open air concerts and esoteric cliques of uniqueness.
I don't actually do much corporate catering. I do mainly creative events to be honest. Even if at one event we hund some chandeliers under the trees once. Ok. Fine. I was wondering how professional or not they look.

The crew cut EF section has responded. Showing me they would reject it. Understandable. But at the moment, most any work I get is on referral. So will that change if people see me different? We'll find out.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Oh how funny - really funny - roll on the floor laughing funny.

You not going to get past any personal interview with that hairstyle!
You not even going to be asked (maybe) to cater for anything outside of an Open Air festival, a Nostalgic Woodstock gathering, or anything to do with food handling/cooking. Probably not even to just deliver the food.

And when you do decide to get rid of them - you going to have to shave your head. Those hair twists/knots are in there for life. Ask any owner of a long haired dog that hasn`t been brushed for a while.

And if anyone tells you you can brush them out, they`re lying.

Quote:
View Post
I don't actually do much corporate catering. I do mainly creative events to be honest. Even if at one event we hund some chandeliers under the trees once. Ok. Fine. I was wondering how professional or not they look.

The crew cut EF section has responded. Showing me they would reject it. Understandable. But at the moment, most any work I get is on referral. So will that change if people see me different? We'll find out.
Well, I wish you well anyway. I hope it works for you. I guess it all comes down to the quality of the food you make? And as long as you tuck the lot into a cap and no stray hairs go wafting. And your scalp doesnt get itchy

Last edited by 3Wishes; 02.02.2015 at 19:55. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 02.02.2015, 18:30
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Oh how funny - really funny - roll on the floor laughing funny.

You not going to get past any personal interview with that hairstyle!
You not even going to be asked (maybe) to cater for anything outside of an Open Air festival, a Nostalgic Woodstock gathering, or anything to do with food handling/cooking. Probably not even to just deliver the food.

And when you do decide to get rid of them - you going to have to shave your head. Those hair twists/knots are in there for life. Ask any owner of a long haired dog that hasn`t been brushed for a while.

And if anyone tells you you can brush them out, they`re lying.
I have seen them combed out in front of me. But, please see the follow up that I intend on the clean ones. Also, I would be tying them back and in a toque.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 02.02.2015, 19:36
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Here's what he posted on the first page (I have no idea what OP looks like irl, so no clue if this would look good or ridiculous on him):
I know how he looks like on picture and I still think he shouldn't.

He is good looking, by the way..

I prefer a bun... You know that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 02.02.2015, 19:40
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,677
Groaned at 141 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,774 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
Also, I would be tying them back and in a toque.
If your prospective clients ask you if your dreads will be in the way and bother you while you're cooking, don't answer with "No worries... I'll just take a toque.."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 02.02.2015, 20:18
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,866
Groaned at 1,975 Times in 1,494 Posts
Thanked 34,249 Times in 16,291 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
The crew cut EF section has responded.
As you well know, I am far from having a crew-cut (though I had them as a child).

In fact, it's now below shoulder length.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02.02.2015, 20:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,301
Groaned at 314 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 13,235 Times in 6,887 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Quote:
View Post
As you well know, I am far from having a crew-cut (though I had them as a child).

In fact, it's now below shoulder length.

Tom
Yeah...
If you don't look anything like this guy..

..and not even him has a long hair any more...
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 02.02.2015, 20:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,846
Groaned at 107 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,658 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

Is it this kind of thing?



Quote:
View Post
As you well know, I am far from having a crew-cut (though I had them as a child).

In fact, it's now below shoulder length.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 02.02.2015, 20:48
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,631
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,625 Times in 1,830 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dreadlocks and Professionalism

I think dreds on a "professional" mean one of two things, polar opposites actually. Either this person doesn't give a shit about themselves or what i think of them or about this contract we are discussing.

Or

This person is so good at whatever they do that first impressions are not that important.

For me, as a potential client or lender at the bank or employer, the first impression would be - "goodness me, this person has dreds, I'm surprised". The first couple of sentences would be make or break.

In other words, it would be what you say, not what you looks like, although having dreds would be an initial surprise.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dreadlocks davidoff Other/general 20 19.03.2020 14:19
Customer Service & Professionalism backtoch Complaints corner 45 13.12.2014 14:48
[Zurich] trams 7 and 9 and 10 and 14 blocked today [Tue 18th Feb] Wollishofener Swiss politics/news 6 19.02.2014 15:10
old cat with dreadlocks and nails ... Shelly Pet corner 2 15.06.2011 23:09
Hiking and Biking and holiday website for Davos and Klosters Harriet and Patrick Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 15.07.2010 16:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0