Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
I worked in construction out in Australia. Someone dropped their end of a pile of steel sheeting we were both carrying.
I cut open my forearm.

Luckily the doctors' surgery was across the road. I got stitched up and was back at work twenty minutes later. I didn't think this was a big deal.

So, one day off is probably pushing it. How about just the afternoon?

Why so long ?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
I did, I offered to work with just 1 hand (on day 1!), but the employer refused.
What should I tell the employer when he asks me when will I be back to work?
So what else can you do, either the hand is usable or not. As you say you're in pain still how will you be able to work with more than 1 hand ?

Feet and hands are not inter-changeable.

Either you are fir and can work or you're not and from what you say, you sound more like a liability on a site rather than an asset.

Get a Doctors note and give to the employer, if he's not happy he makes you redundant, find a new job, plenty of construction/renovation going on right now.

Sure it's coming up to summer holiday shutdown, but this also means certain sites need to be finished before and they employ more people to finish on time
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: VD
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Steev has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Do not wait until the employer asks you. Be pro-active, show that you are a responsible team member, and call him!

Call him TODAY and say that you are in pain and cannot use your hand. Inform him that you do not know when you will be back at work.

Tell him today that you will not be at work tomorrow. That gives him a chance to call up someone else to work in your stead, at least for tomorrow, or to re-distribute the tasks across other staff members.
Tell your boss, TODAY, and that you will contact your doctor as soon as his/her practice is open in the morning, and that you will phone him again after your appoinment.
Thanks, I will do.
I wanted to have an expert opinion on healing times before making another promise to the employer. I can't find any answer on the internet, so I was hoping to find a doctor in here, or someone having had a similar injury.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, I will do.
I wanted to have an expert opinion on healing times before making another promise to the employer. I can't find any answer on the internet, so I was hoping to find a doctor in here, or someone having had a similar injury.
We are not "internet doctors" we have not seen the injury, we do not know the details, we are all different so how do you want us to tell you how long it will be before your 100% ?

How long is a piece of string ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:26
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,249
Groaned at 46 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
I did, I offered to work with just 1 hand (on day 1!), but the employer refused.
What should I tell the employer when he asks me when will I be back to work?
It's a good sign that he didn't want you back on day 1. It probably means that he saw the injury as a genuine one, and he didn't want to risk making your injury worse/longer, or risk another injury.

Remember that in most cases the first few days of sick time are on the employer's dime, then their own insurance kicks in. In other words, your accident will have cost him something, but once his insurance kicks in his concern is reduced to wanting to know if he can expect you back soon, or if he needs to organize an extra hand.

If I was on good terms with him, and thought he was a reasonable guy, I would just be open with him. He may be frustrated by needing to find a short term replacement in the middle of the high season, but he will be more frustrated if he doesn't get any info from you about how long he needs to fill the gap for.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: VD
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Steev has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
It's a good sign that he didn't want you back on day 1. It probably means that he saw the injury as a genuine one, and he didn't want to risk making your injury worse/longer, or risk another injury.

Remember that in most cases the first few days of sick time are on the employer's dime, then their own insurance kicks in. In other words, your accident will have cost him something, but once his insurance kicks in his concern is reduced to wanting to know if he can expect you back soon, or if he needs to organize an extra hand.

If I was on good terms with him, and thought he was a reasonable guy, I would just be open with him. He may be frustrated by needing to find a short term replacement in the middle of the high season, but he will be more frustrated if he doesn't get any info from you about how long he needs to fill the gap for.
If I tell the employer that I don't know when I will be back, then he has to assume that I could be out for 1 month. In which case I'm terminated.
If I give a delay that is too short, then it's going to wreck havoc on the rest of the team (if I have to extend it in the future).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11.06.2017, 17:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,281
Groaned at 350 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 5,981 Times in 2,741 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
If I tell the employer that I don't know when I will be back, then he has to assume that I could be out for 1 month. In which case I'm terminated.
If I give a delay that is too short, then it's going to wreck havoc on the rest of the team (if I have to extend it in the future).
Then you've answered your own question - communication with both your Doctor, who will assess the situation and provide the necessary certificate is as essential as communication with your employer.

It makes no difference by the way whether you are legally employed at a desk job in a bank, or on a construction site.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:01
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,522
Groaned at 76 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,140 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
We are not "internet doctors" we have not seen the injury, we do not know the details, we are all different so how do you want us to tell you how long it will be before your 100% ?

How long is a piece of string ?
OK, I think that ones's been done now.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:01
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, I will do.
I wanted to have an expert opinion on healing times before making another promise to the employer. I can't find any answer on the internet, so I was hoping to find a doctor in here, or someone having had a similar injury.
There is no such thing!
I'm surprised you didn't get an appointment at your doctors for this coming week to see if it's healed or needs more treatment. As it was an accident, insureance needs a end date of the case too.

Quote:
View Post
If I tell the employer that I don't know when I will be back, then he has to assume that I could be out for 1 month. In which case I'm terminated.
If I give a delay that is too short, then it's going to wreck havoc on the rest of the team (if I have to extend it in the future).
You can't be fired while on sick leave (goes for accidents as well).
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,203
Groaned at 35 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,836 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

I have (at different times) had damage to both index fingers. One was a deep cut that affected the tendon, the second a botched operation that damaged the second joint.

In both cases the swelling, my inability to bend said fingers, and pain on attempting to do so was severe. And it's very difficult to do certain tasks when one of your fingers is sticking out and catching on everything.
It might sound like a minor thing, but it's really not!

OP; try to speak to your boss, explain that your ability to use your hand is still restricted and get an appointment to see a hand specialist asap. The local hospital should have a department for such things if you can't find a space anywhere else.
You might need physio, there could even be more damage than was at first apparent.

You have my sympathy, neither of my fingers has ever recovered full mobility and I'm still getting pain from nerve damage several years on.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
6 days ago I had an accident, where one of my fingers was pressed between two flat pieces of steel. The finger is intact, nothing is broken, but the force was enough to pierce the fingernail and push some internals of the finger on the outside. The finger was pressed between two flat surfaces!
I work in construction, requiring me to be able to fully use both hands (including closing both hands with full force).
If you were the doctor examining the situation, how long of an inability to work would you prescribe? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
If you were self employed the answer would be no time at all, you would not even bother to ask the Dr.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:18
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,522
Groaned at 76 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,140 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

It shows how little I know about construction, but this seems quite a ruthless business if you can be terminated for a serious injury incurred at work (or serious enough to prevent you working). Are you or your employer not insured against this sort of thing (which must be a common occurrence)?

The question you asked doesn't seem too relevant to me. A doctor will surely sign you off for a period deemed appropriate for the injury to heal. In a case like this, I presume he said something like he'd sign you off for a week and see how it is after that. It sounds to my amateur ear like quite a serious injury in terms of going back to work, so I'm not sure why 6 days seemed right.

Anyway, good luck, and look at your various insurance policies.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:21
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,619
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,463 Times in 7,746 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
6 days ago I had an accident, where one of my fingers was pressed between two flat pieces of steel. The finger is intact, nothing is broken, but the force was enough to pierce the fingernail and push some internals of the finger on the outside. The finger was pressed between two flat surfaces!
I work in construction, requiring me to be able to fully use both hands (including closing both hands with full force).
If you were the doctor examining the situation, how long of an inability to work would you prescribe? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
Why would you need time off? Just put a plaster on it.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:27
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Why would you need time off? Just put a plaster on it.
Yeah, the ones tough Tom from Lugano uses, work wonders.
how-long-professional-accident-give-your-opinion-plasters_hello_kitty.jpg
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: VD
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Steev has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Why would you need time off? Just put a plaster on it.
Because I can't close my hand, which means I can't do 90% of the work out there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Steev for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:39
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,249
Groaned at 46 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Come on guys, the OP is injured, unsure of how things work here, and worried about his job. Cut him a bit of slack.

@Steev: It doesn't matter what any of us think a hurt finger takes to heal, what matters is what the doc thinks.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: VD
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Steev has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Come on guys, the OP is injured, unsure of how things work here, and worried about his job. Cut him a bit of slack.

@Steev: It doesn't matter what any of us think a hurt finger takes to heal, what matters is what the doc thinks.
Yeah, the pain is severe. When I lightly touch the finger it's as if I hit it with a hammer, or stabbed it. It's very acute and unbearable.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11.06.2017, 18:59
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
Come on guys, the OP is injured, unsure of how things work here, and worried about his job. Cut him a bit of slack.

@Steev: It doesn't matter what any of us think a hurt finger takes to heal, what matters is what the doc thinks.
We did. Including the answer you're giving here. It has been provided by almost all of us
The only thing still missing are the suitable paragraphs delivered the SwissintheUS.

Basically: He has to see his doctor tomorrow, he has to hand in his new "Krankschreibung" (sick note).
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I think he shoul go ask the union about the legal situation (I think you can ask them even if you're not a member, they will just not fight for you).
In his line of work it is possible that the turn out is "unlucky". All the more reason to keep a cool head, take all the steps necessary and not drive himself crazy with if's and but's from loads of people who don't really have the answers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 11.06.2017, 20:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,076
Groaned at 96 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 12,463 Times in 5,059 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

Quote:
View Post
If I tell the employer that I don't know when I will be back, then he has to assume that I could be out for 1 month. In which case I'm terminated.
If I give a delay that is too short, then it's going to wreck havoc on the rest of the team (if I have to extend it in the future).
No, don't just say "I don't know when I'll be back". That will confuse and annoy him.
Say that you cannot know UNITL YOU HAVE SEEN YOUR DOCTOR.
Tell your employer that you DO know that you will contact the doctor on Monday morning first thing. Or go to the doctor in a nearby hospital emergency tonight.
Tell your boss that you will phone him right after you have seen the doctor, to let him know what the doctor said.

In any case, DO NOT OVER-PROMISE AND UNDER-DELIVER.

Tell him every step you are taking: calling the doctor, seeing the doctor, what the doctor says, whether you need surgery or physiotherapy and when that will be (you'll know this better after seeing the doctor 1 or 2 or 3 more times) and give him the doctor's certificate.

The point is: you are afraid, and I can understand this. Don't hide. Be open and up-front, and keep the communication open. Tell him that you understand that it is difficult for him, and for the team, to plan the work, but that you will be back as soon as the DOCTOR says so.

IMPORTANT: If you haven't already phoned your boss, this is about your last chance to do so, for this evening. A phonecall after 21h or max. 21h30 is considered rude.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11.06.2017, 20:34
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,400
Groaned at 403 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 17,454 Times in 5,362 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long for a professional accident? (give your opinion)

1. Go to work tomorrow. Show them your finger. Tell them you've made (or are making an appointment) with the doctor.

2. Go to the doctor to get his permission to take a few more days off of work.

3. If he doesn't give you permission, than at least ask for pain killers.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long did it take for your child to learn German? Hugh Osborne Daily life 16 29.01.2017 20:23
How long did it take for your Work Permit Dieter Permits/visas/government 18 01.10.2014 15:15
How long do you give it? Medea Fleecestealer International affairs/politics 44 20.06.2013 10:47
How did you react to your baby's First accident? SemAms General off-topic 34 15.02.2010 20:29
How do you give away your Britishness? raincookie Daily life 262 05.11.2009 17:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0