Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.10.2017, 23:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SWISSgoose has no particular reputation at present
Amazon shipments post office places in France?

I have heard it's common to have Amazon orders shipped to post office type places right over the border in Germany. Do similar places exist in France? If so, what are they called? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.10.2017, 07:12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ch
Posts: 160
Groaned at 13 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 113 Times in 70 Posts
adibadi is considered knowledgeableadibadi is considered knowledgeableadibadi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

You can have a look at Grenzpaket. https://www.grenzpaket.ch/fr/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adibadi for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.10.2017, 07:21
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 710
Groaned at 65 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 638 Times in 304 Posts
FCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputation
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Yes, they are called Poste Restante and you can search for these within Amazon - generally there is no fee to pick up packages there but in cases where the Poste Restante is also the French Post Office there is a fee to pick up each individual package. In Divonne Les Bains, for example, 4 euros per package was the last fee rate I observed (This was a couple of years ago, of course)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.10.2017, 08:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Pdalsantus has no particular reputation at present
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Hello,

in Amazon.fr you can select for all PRIME items (managed by Amazon, no need to be enrolled into PRIME) special delivery points (point relais).

They are post offices, small supermarkets, butcheries, electronic shops..

In the Geneva area there are probably ~100 to choose from, open as well on Sundays. No additional fees or cost are needed.

To verify if a specific seller is shipping to these drop locations, just select an item and on the delivery address search for the point relais (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/buy/address...pt=1#new-store) . If not available select another seller.

The other possibility is a personal mail drop address in France but this is expensive.

I hope it helps..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pdalsantus for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.10.2017, 09:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 367
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 168 Times in 117 Posts
Miostar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

I order stuff that is sent by Amazon. In that case you don't pay any postage or fee if you have it sent to Poste restante in France (you have to buy for a minimum of 25 Euros).

The advantage of Poste restante over point Relais is that they keep packets for much longer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Miostar for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.10.2017, 10:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 2,840
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,254 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, they are called Poste Restante and you can search for these within Amazon - generally there is no fee to pick up packages there but in cases where the Poste Restante is also the French Post Office there is a fee to pick up each individual package. In Divonne Les Bains, for example, 4 euros per package was the last fee rate I observed (This was a couple of years ago, of course)
I think this is a bit outdated. There has been no fees to pick up at the listed "point de collecte" for the sellers that ship to them in my experience (amazon.fr). As Pdalsantus says you need to see what shippers and items (not certain items) are available through point de collecte. I regularly picked up at Divonne Post until about a month ago when the option to pick up there disappeared and my previously sent item was returned. I've complained to Amazon so hope the Divonne post option returns once again. And I've never had any charges, even for small orders, but check the delivery options by seller as usually you will find a no or low cost one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank runningdeer for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.10.2017, 10:31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 367
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 168 Times in 117 Posts
Miostar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a bit outdated. There has been no fees to pick up at the listed "point de collecte" for the sellers that ship to them in my experience (amazon.fr). As Pdalsantus says you need to see what shippers and items (not certain items) are available through point de collecte. I regularly picked up at Divonne Post until about a month ago when the option to pick up there disappeared and my previously sent item was returned. I've complained to Amazon so hope the Divonne post option returns once again. And I've never had any charges, even for small orders, but check the delivery options by seller as usually you will find a no or low cost one.

Instead of using the Post of Divonne as a point Relais, use it as poste restante, it will do the same job.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Miostar for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.10.2017, 10:48
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 710
Groaned at 65 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 638 Times in 304 Posts
FCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputation
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a bit outdated. There has been no fees to pick up at the listed "point de collecte" for the sellers that ship to them in my experience (amazon.fr). As Pdalsantus says you need to see what shippers and items (not certain items) are available through point de collecte. I regularly picked up at Divonne Post until about a month ago when the option to pick up there disappeared and my previously sent item was returned. I've complained to Amazon so hope the Divonne post option returns once again. And I've never had any charges, even for small orders, but check the delivery options by seller as usually you will find a no or low cost one.
If you use La Poste for your point relais then yes, there is a fee and there has long been a fee. Initially it was quite cheap, less than a Euro as I recall but now at least 4 Euros per package.

There are other point relais in the area (i.e. Gex & Divonne) but not all items can be shipped to a Point Relais that isn't also a Post Office - when you select a Point Relais it will indicate whether you can have it shipped there or not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 13.10.2017, 11:27
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,394
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,847 Times in 5,774 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Quote:
View Post
If you use La Poste for your point relais then yes, there is a fee and there has long been a fee. Initially it was quite cheap, less than a Euro as I recall but now at least 4 Euros per package.

There are other point relais in the area (i.e. Gex & Divonne) but not all items can be shipped to a Point Relais that isn't also a Post Office - when you select a Point Relais it will indicate whether you can have it shipped there or not.
The cost varies depending on what the item is but I have never paid as much as 4€ to collect a package from the post office in Morteau. The most recent was in May so they may have hiked the prices up a bit since then.


https://www.laposte.fr/particulier/p...e-de-son-choix
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 13.10.2017, 11:40
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 6,324
Groaned at 186 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,831 Times in 4,363 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon shipments post office places in France?

Not only Amazon, but quite a lot of online retailers in France use one of a couple of point relai networks. Indeed, some will only ship to them, rather than using standard parcel services or post. In cases where other options are offered the point relais is nearly always the cheapest available, and no, there is never any fee to pay on collection.

I actually much prefer this method, even when at our French place, as it's much the easiest way, compared with waiting for delivery and/or searching for a missed delivery note then having to go to the post office or parcel depot a day or two later. An email is sent as soon as it's available, so you just pick your time to go collect it.

https://www.mondialrelay.fr/
https://www.relaiscolis.com/
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holiday Places in the South of France w.soldner Commercial 0 06.04.2014 16:26
Post office in France (Divonne) - open tomorrow? idefix General off-topic 3 01.11.2012 15:19
Good places for shopping in France not far from the Basel border? Pancakes Other/general 8 19.10.2012 08:22
Places to see in France from Zurich by car obayraktar67 Travel/day trips/free time 6 17.12.2011 14:02
7 days in France; places to visit..?? sash4u General off-topic 10 10.10.2008 00:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0