Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.11.2017, 17:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Photography laws in CH

Today in a cafe I noticed this exchange in between a foriegner and an old Swiss woman. The young guy was making a video/taking a picture of the food being cooked on the grill (#grillinstagram, I am guessing), then the old woman tells him off in German not to make a video or take a picture as it is forbidden. She was not working there. And she asked him to delete it and leave.

I stood nearby and found that exchange quite odd and it got me thinking. How many times I have seen people take pictures in bars, restaurants, myself included; and no one made an issue. And then I noticed this. Is it forbidden or was that just an old woman nagging for no reason? And if it is forbidden, did everyone else not get the memo?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 12.11.2017, 18:46
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

First link is from the EF:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=photography+laws+in+switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.11.2017, 18:49
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,886
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,600 Times in 4,676 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

There's this little story also... https://www.thelocal.ch/20170531/swi...-taking-photos
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.11.2017, 19:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photography laws in CH

If she is not on the pictures she is just an annoying old woman.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 12.11.2017, 19:29
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,464
Groaned at 371 Times in 286 Posts
Thanked 16,268 Times in 9,236 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Actually the reddit link is better since it has an English translation as well as linking to the official site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography...n_switzerland/

https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschu...x.html?lang=de

https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschu...x.html?lang=fr

https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschu...x.html?lang=it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.11.2017, 19:56
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
What a load of BS. (Bergün, not you blueangel )

I agree with the law of not taking pictures of people though. To me it was always also a matter of politeness (long before there was such a law) to ask people.

A few weeks ago I went to the doctors, he's in a very quiet, boring street. A woman from accross the street took (several) pictures for obviously no touristic reasons. It was weird, I guess that's why I took notice of her. I almost told her off but decided to just turn away instead. So all she got was hair, lots of hair. ROFL.

You know what the Africans say, taking pictures is stealing a little bit of your soul (and interestingly enough healers and clairvoyants claim they can work with photos ). So yes, I want to decide who's handy bits of my sould moves into
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 12.11.2017, 20:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 714
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
If she is not on the pictures she is just an annoying old woman.
I confirmed with another Swiss friend. She said there is no such issue. The problem only arises if you are specifically taking a picture of a stranger and they then ask you to remove it. So, that tourist taking a picture of food being grilled was perfectly within his rights. And that old woman had nothing to complain about, as she was not even in the picture. Typical old woman just nagging.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 12.11.2017, 20:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
Typical old woman just nagging.
If it's the only time it happened, it isn't a typical thing for an old woman to do.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.11.2017, 20:42
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
I confirmed with another Swiss friend. She said there is no such issue. The problem only arises if you are specifically taking a picture of a stranger and they then ask you to remove it. So, that tourist taking a picture of food being grilled was perfectly within his rights. And that old woman had nothing to complain about, as she was not even in the picture.
yes
Quote:
View Post
Typical old woman just nagging.
no
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 13.11.2017, 00:37
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

If you check out photography forums, whether UK or CH, what you may or may not photograph is an eternal subject of discussions and rants.

The topic has even been before the ECJ, and lawyers on both sides of the debate are al the time trying to carve their own thing. So be careful of any advice you get from armchair experts. The topic is a minefield and what may have been true a year or two ago is no longer necessarily true now.

But that said, just following the rules of common courtesy can get you a long way. There is a difference between making somebody the topic of your picture and capturing somebody somewhere in the far background. Try to see things from the othe person's side. It's creepy to be photographed by somebody you don't know for a reason you don't know. So if at all feasible try and explain yourself and ask for permission beforehand.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 13.11.2017, 11:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 359
Groaned at 58 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 231 Times in 130 Posts
Dandy is considered unworthyDandy is considered unworthyDandy is considered unworthy
Re: Photography laws in CH

A woman from accross the street took (several) pictures for obviously no touristic reasons.

Is "touristic reason" the only permitted reason to take pictures ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dandy for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 13.11.2017, 12:05
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
A few weeks ago I went to the doctors, he's in a very quiet, boring street. A woman from accross the street took (several) pictures for obviously no touristic reasons.
I wonder how many threads about my photographic inventory sessions on future construction sites exist in the internet...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 13.11.2017, 15:06
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 1,243
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 317 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
What a load of BS. (Bergün, not you blueangel )

I agree with the law of not taking pictures of people though. To me it was always also a matter of politeness (long before there was such a law) to ask people.

A few weeks ago I went to the doctors, he's in a very quiet, boring street. A woman from accross the street took (several) pictures for obviously no touristic reasons. It was weird, I guess that's why I took notice of her. I almost told her off but decided to just turn away instead. So all she got was hair, lots of hair. ROFL.

You know what the Africans say, taking pictures is stealing a little bit of your soul (and interestingly enough healers and clairvoyants claim they can work with photos ). So yes, I want to decide who's handy bits of my sould moves into
But.. but.. but... what if you are a private detective trying to caught some wife making an affair????

Some months ago I was at Zurich and the FLUFFIEST CORGI THAT YOU COULD IMAGINE pop out of a store to play with another dog, and while was playing I was filming it because it was amazingly fluffy, seconds later the owner of the store came out to separate the dogs and ask me if I could stop filming, thing that off course I did... but... why? If I had the fluffiest Corgi on earth i would be more than glad that people film it and take some pictures
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13.11.2017, 15:23
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 968
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 428 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

As far as I understand the laws in Switzerland, even taking photos of a specific person, in public, is no problem as long as you don't publish it (on facebook, instagram, in a book), in a way that the person is recognizable, without their permission.
Unless it's a public event, like a demonstration, or a football match, etc.
If you're on private property (for example a train station, a shop) you need the permission of the property owner.

And a fun fact, you need to pay royalties if you publish a photo of Paris at night, because of the lights on the eiffel tower.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.11.2017, 16:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
A woman from accross the street took (several) pictures for obviously no touristic reasons.

Is "touristic reason" the only permitted reason to take pictures ?
No but to me there was no reason to take photos of me and my car outside a doctor's office?

Quote:
View Post
But.. but.. but... what if you are a private detective trying to caught some wife making an affair????
All the more reason I wouldn't want to be photographed

Quote:
View Post
Some months ago I was at Zurich and the FLUFFIEST CORGI THAT YOU COULD IMAGINE pop out of a store to play with another dog, and while was playing I was filming it because it was amazingly fluffy, seconds later the owner of the store came out to separate the dogs and ask me if I could stop filming, thing that off course I did... but... why? If I had the fluffiest Corgi on earth i would be more than glad that people film it and take some pictures
The best way to find out why would have been to ask. As there were no people on the film.

Quote:
View Post
As far as I understand the laws in Switzerland, even taking photos of a specific person, in public, is no problem as long as you don't publish it (on facebook, instagram, in a book), in a way that the person is recognizable, without their permission.
Unless it's a public event, like a demonstration, or a football match, etc.
If you're on private property (for example a train station, a shop) you need the permission of the property owner.

And a fun fact, you need to pay royalties if you publish a photo of Paris at night, because of the lights on the eiffel tower.
That's correct.
As I'm not on FB etc. etc. I would never find out though, would I?

I don't know about Paris. The city belongs to the (French) public, so whom would I have to pay?!

To me it's a matter of circumstances. My example further up bothered me. In general I'm not extremly strict.
But: I'm also not photogenic, I think, so that's an other reason I don't like it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13.11.2017, 16:10
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 968
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 428 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
To me it's a matter of circumstances. My example further up bothered me. In general I'm not extremly strict.
But: I'm also not photogenic, I think, so that's an other reason I don't like it
Well, maybe you were just in the way :P and they'll edit you out of the photo later on.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13.11.2017, 16:55
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
Well, maybe you were just in the way :P and they'll edit you out of the photo later on.
There will be nothing left
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 13.11.2017, 17:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Photography laws in CH

Some places do forbid photography but there is usually a sign up to that effect so, unless the lady had seen a sign the OP had missed, there is likely no reason why he shouldn't be taking pictures.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13.11.2017, 19:57
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,526
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
Some places do forbid photography but there is usually a sign up to that effect so, unless the lady had seen a sign the OP had missed, there is likely no reason why he shouldn't be taking pictures.
I have quite a few photos of "Photographieren strengstens verboten" signs I shot in the 1960s at the border between Austria and Hungary, back then known as the Iron Curtain.

Since the barbed wire stuff was several meters east of the actual boundary line, we were also able to gleefully pee across the border, right under the periscope binoculars of the guards on the nearby watchtower.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 13.11.2017, 20:05
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography laws in CH

Quote:
View Post
.....
Since the barbed wire stuff was several meters east of the actual boundary line, we were also able to gleefully pee across the border, right under the periscope binoculars of the guards on the nearby watchtower.
you're such a man
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inheritance laws in CH Odile Finance/banking/taxation 107 15.09.2017 02:10
Where to buy cheap photography backgrounds in CH ? Helena Paris Daily life 6 11.05.2017 11:50
Swiss laws apply while not residing in CH? mike1 Permits/visas/government 32 16.02.2015 15:49
Used photography equipment - where can I obtain it in CH? tomaszt Other/general 3 18.10.2011 19:31
De-facto partner laws in CH? Rahnos Permits/visas/government 1 09.04.2010 22:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0