English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/284057-nestle-cuts-580-logistics-jobs-swiss-romande.html)

Verbier 29.05.2018 13:23

Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Nestle announced today that they will cut 500 IT jobs in the Swiss Romande area (Bussigny and Vevey) and move the corporate IT responsibility to Barcelona. A total of 80 IT/Logistics jobs at Nespresso will also be cut.

These cuts will take place over the next 18 months.

Mikers 29.05.2018 13:25

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Yes almost all of us. At the hard end of what was expected.

CorsebouTheReturn 29.05.2018 13:34

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
It's even better, the business owner/marketing are using clever terms.
Jobs are moving to "the competency center" in Barcelona.

Clearly it's in fact "cheap(er) labor center", its funny how manipulation is done.

Swiss Romande is a cementary in terms of employment, despite the rumors running around that it's "getting better" in terms of employment (in the region and in Switzerland).

It's all happening in Zurich.

Today only 29.05.2018 13:53

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
They've not finished yet, either ;)

CorsebouTheReturn 29.05.2018 14:00

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
In fact, it's simple. We can boycot Nestle products.

Why? Because their business model is not supporting local economy.

Therefore, we can buy local equivalent products, which are usually better in numerous aspects anyway.

I'm not against businesses, I'm against manipulations and hypocrisy in work environments. They are making a strategical decision, I'm making one too.

Surely, I'm a drop in the ocean, if consumers started to realize they can fight back these businesses by cutting their business, they would and these situations would happen only in exceptional contexts, not when the companies are making huge profits.

Anyway it will be fun activity, identify nestle related products while shopping and buying other brands. A funny "egg hunt" game.

CodeDesign 29.05.2018 14:18

I am afraid that several IT and digital j:msnnerd:bs are going away... definitely.
That's the new ec:eek:nomy. Winner takes all (before being l:msnmad:ser), and faster than we can adapt ourself in this "rat race" !!!
What is the next tsunami? :D

Competition my friend... global competition! Go see overseas.

Jaceq 29.05.2018 14:31

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Looking at how hard is to get good IT people in ZH, maybe that's not too bad, hopefully some of those will come here and contribute to a fairly busy market!

CorsebouTheReturn 29.05.2018 14:36

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeDesign (Post 2951193)
I am afraid that several IT and digital j:msnnerd:bs are going away... definitely.
That's the new ec:eek:nomy. Winner takes all (before being l:msnmad:ser), and faster than we can adapt ourself in this "rat race" !!!
What is the next tsunami? :D

I don't mind. I love new technologies and I always evolve and adapt.

What I mind is the fact that the crappy managers who failed to anticipate, listen to changes are the one making the decision, keeping their business and screwing others in the process.

Because less face it, they can pick and choose who's staying and leaving and higher management have usually poor visibility on that, they simply get "glorified reports" and support their lower management.

So evolution, adaptation, redundancies are part of healthy business lifecycle.

Respect, anticipation, training, fair communication should also be basis and would certainly ease the situation during difficult times.

That's not happening in numerous companies and managers are in control. I simply wish that if the plane is going to crash, because of pilot mistake, then the pilot should go with it.
And if the plane has to crash due to external circumstances, that's terribly sad, but part of life and that's a different situation.

Of course, then it's also the passengers responsabilities to get out of the plane as soon as they realize how crappy their pilot is, that's another story.

CorsebouTheReturn 29.05.2018 14:49

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaceq (Post 2951200)
Looking at how hard is to get good IT people in ZH, maybe that's not too bad, hopefully some of those will come here and contribute to a fairly busy market!

And put more pressure in your already saturated property market, and roads ;)

Clearly this concentration of IT companies in Zurich only is not that beneficial for Switzerland in general. It's understandable somehow, yet we talk about 1-2 hours distance, there should be less concentration.

Think Reading VS London, it's about 1 hour by train and yet numerous IT jobs there.

fatmanfilms 29.05.2018 15:22

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Only 2% of profits come from CH, so don't waste your time. Switzerland is an irrelevant market for Nestle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsebouTheReturn (Post 2951177)
In fact, it's simple. We can boycot Nestle products.

Why? Because their business model is not supporting local economy.

Therefore, we can buy local equivalent products, which are usually better in numerous aspects anyway.

I'm not against businesses, I'm against manipulations and hypocrisy in work environments. They are making a strategical decision, I'm making one too.

Surely, I'm a drop in the ocean, if consumers started to realize they can fight back these businesses by cutting their business, they would and these situations would happen only in exceptional contexts, not when the companies are making huge profits.

Anyway it will be fun activity, identify nestle related products while shopping and buying other brands. A funny "egg hunt" game.


CodeDesign 29.05.2018 15:36

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsebouTheReturn (Post 2951206)
I don't mind. I love new technologies and I always evolve and adapt.

Good mindset, hope you will never be replaced by someone cheaper and "better" because your cost of living or your age!

Quote:

What I mind is the fact that the crappy managers who failed to anticipate, listen to changes are the one making the decision, keeping their business and screwing others in the process.

Because less face it, they can pick and choose who's staying and leaving and higher management have usually poor visibility on that, they simply get "glorified reports" and support their lower management.

So evolution, adaptation, redundancies are part of healthy business lifecycle.
Got this, but may be these managers are not too bad for doing what they are supposed to do in this situation?

Quote:

Respect, anticipation, training, fair communication should also be basis and would certainly ease the situation during difficult times.
I couldn't agree more...

Quote:

That's not happening in numerous companies and managers are in control. I simply wish that if the plane is going to crash, because of pilot mistake, then the pilot should go with it.
And if the plane has to crash due to external circumstances, that's terribly sad, but part of life and that's a different situation.
In the digital age, it happens a lot all over the world. The plane could crash and we will survive or not.


Quote:

Of course, then it's also the passengers responsabilities to get out of the plane as soon as they realize how crappy their pilot is, that's another story.
Yes if they can open the doors and get to fly in the beautiful blue sky.


Thanks for your reply, with respect.


---

Today only 29.05.2018 15:40

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Nestle got incredibly bloated under Paul Bulcke and Peter Brabec, the new guy, Ulf-Marc Schneider is trimming it back which is what he is being paid for, to increase profitability and to enhance shareholder value, both of which badly needs doing.


There are not so many ways to do this without a major restructuration.


There will certainly be more redundancies in Nestle before the years' end.

bigblue2 29.05.2018 15:52

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by today only (Post 2951273)
ulf-marc schneider is trimming it back, in order to meet his short term bonus related targets, who care about long term? As long as i get my big $$$$$ bonus?


ftfy

ZuriRollt 29.05.2018 15:53

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verbier (Post 2951154)
Nestle announced today that they will cut 500 IT jobs in the Swiss Romande area (Bussigny and Vevey) and move the corporate IT responsibility to Barcelona. A total of 80 IT/Logistics jobs at Nespresso will also be cut.

These cuts will take place over the next 18 months.

It's fact.

The employees are being offered relocation to Barcelona or Italy, but also being supported in finding something new here in CH / early pension etc.

A touch better than UBS recently relocating their Operations to Schaffhausen (easy commuting distant from the cheaper Germany labor market), and giving the impacted Zürich employees the chance to relocate there.

CorsebouTheReturn 29.05.2018 15:58

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeDesign (Post 2951270)
Good mindset, hope you will never be replaced by someone cheaper and "better" because your cost of living or your age!

Got this, but may be these managers are not too bad for doing what they are supposed to do in this situation?

---

I have been replaced on numerous occasions, it was my fault for not anticipating enough and for misplaced trust and loyalty.

I'm maintaining myself up to date, clearly I did it not fully in the past as instead of going 100% slave for the businesses I worked for, I should have given 80% and train during the remaining 20%.

And yes, the older one gets in IT, the more hard it will become due to stereotypes and idiotic managers/recruiters.

Managers are too bad because if they were better, there would not be that situation. That's what a leader is supposed to do, anticipate, mitigate risks, manage his employes (and not use them and then dispose of them).

Making people redundant is not a problem in the right context, the problem is when these people have been used only until they are useless elsewhere, and dropped instead of being trained. Sure, there's a part of personal responsability in slaving yourself for a given business and not maintaining your employability. Nonetheless, a good leader/manager should not let employee going to the wall, at the very least there should be some discussions of career advancements and some form or proactivity.

bigblue2 29.05.2018 15:59

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
interesting, I understand labour laws in Italy are some of the strictest around, so are they being re-located as full time open ended employee contracts or as contractors? and with a hefty pay cut I assume.

ZuriRollt 29.05.2018 16:20

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsebouTheReturn (Post 2951177)
In fact, it's simple. We can boycot Nestle products.

Why? Because their business model is not supporting local economy.

Therefore, we can buy local equivalent products, which are usually better in numerous aspects anyway.

I'm not against businesses, I'm against manipulations and hypocrisy in work environments. They are making a strategical decision, I'm making one too.

Surely, I'm a drop in the ocean, if consumers started to realize they can fight back these businesses by cutting their business, they would and these situations would happen only in exceptional contexts, not when the companies are making huge profits.

Anyway it will be fun activity, identify nestle related products while shopping and buying other brands. A funny "egg hunt" game.

Can we also do this with banking though, where the numbers are far more out-reaching, but the same is happening. No-one complains there.

Not all people employed in banking are the ones you read about with "Golden Parachutes" etc.

A majority live in fear of their existence - earning liveable wages, learning to be flexible - e.g. an average of 8 Line Managers within 2 years because some genius comes in now and again to revolutionise - never knowing when they will genius you out of your bog-standard job to cut costs.

Massenentlassungen (mass redundancy) comes with obligations in Switzerland.
What many Banking companies do to circumvent this law is in my opinion criminal.

EdwinNL 29.05.2018 16:29

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsebouTheReturn (Post 2951206)
I don't mind. I love new technologies and I always evolve and adapt.

What I mind is the fact that the crappy managers who failed to anticipate, listen to changes are the one making the decision, keeping their business and screwing others in the process.

Because less face it, they can pick and choose who's staying and leaving and higher management have usually poor visibility on that, they simply get "glorified reports" and support their lower management.

So evolution, adaptation, redundancies are part of healthy business lifecycle.

Respect, anticipation, training, fair communication should also be basis and would certainly ease the situation during difficult times.

That's not happening in numerous companies and managers are in control. I simply wish that if the plane is going to crash, because of pilot mistake, then the pilot should go with it.
And if the plane has to crash due to external circumstances, that's terribly sad, but part of life and that's a different situation.

Of course, then it's also the passengers responsabilities to get out of the plane as soon as they realize how crappy their pilot is, that's another story.

Some functions cannot loose.

The guy who said business should go elsewhere saves the company money and can leave as a winner, another guy comes in and cleans the mess which would come after the first guy left by bringing business back and he is seen of the cause of the work being done better, so he also can leave as a winner. In the meantime "lower" functions lost jobs or had to move, the company spend a lot extra on trainings and accommodations.

But companies bringing business elsewhere since if it works out it will save a lot of money, I do not blame them, I'd probably do the same when running a commercial business since I do not see such as a social institute.

Today only 29.05.2018 16:34

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 2951275)
ftfy


You decided to misquote me .......


Schneider had been their now for nearly 18 months, looking and deciding what to do and he is now moving.


Short term and Nestle don't go hand in hand, Nestle have never been one to look for short term gains over long term investements and i am sure when Schneider was appointed, this was one of the reasons he got the job, despite comming from a non food background, that he was not just looking for short term benefits.


The NEST museum, despite being good, is highly loss making and went well over budget, it was more a vanity project of Brabec/Bulcke.



Schneider would dearly love to shut it down for as short term gain, but he won't as this would go against the Nestle culture and ethics.


By the way, Schneider is not on a wildly big salary bonus schem for running the worlds' largest food company, it's just not the way Nestle works.

curley 29.05.2018 17:45

Re: Nestle cuts 580 IT/Logistics jobs in Swiss Romande
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsebouTheReturn (Post 2951177)
In fact, it's simple. We can boycot Nestle products.

Why? Because their business model is not supporting local economy.

Therefore, we can buy local equivalent products, which are usually better in numerous aspects anyway.

I'm not against businesses, I'm against manipulations and hypocrisy in work environments. They are making a strategical decision, I'm making one too.

Surely, I'm a drop in the ocean, if consumers started to realize they can fight back these businesses by cutting their business, they would and these situations would happen only in exceptional contexts, not when the companies are making huge profits.

Anyway it will be fun activity, identify nestle related products while shopping and buying other brands. A funny "egg hunt" game.

My entire life we boycottet Nestlé again and again (and always for v.e.r.y good reasons), they never changed their ways. Not saying you shouldn't now. You will be very surprised how many products in fact are from Nestlé.

I quit drinking Nespresso a few months ago. Originally for other reasons.
Unfortunately, Cailler is Nestlé too :msnsad:

One wonders, what makes a Swiss company Swiss? (Or any company that advertises being a certain nationality).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0