English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Other/general (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/)
-   -   Board games: What and where? (https://www.englishforum.ch/other-general/292769-board-games-what-where.html)

DUTCH 28.06.2019 11:39

Board games: What and where?
 
So, for an upcoming 9 days holiday with another family (total 8 people, youngest is 12 yr), our evenings will be free with not much else to do around. I am now told to organize board games to bring along.

I am a total newbie on this (never moved past scrabble and monopoly). I have searched on the forum and elsewhere and have some names (7 Wonders, Transamerica, Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, Puerto Rico etc. etc.).

The games need to be in English, not to disadvantage the other family :).

I would like advice on which games, where to buy/rent?

Thanks for pointers from experts.

Guest 28.06.2019 11:49

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Go here in the Niederdorf in Zurich: http://riennevaplus.ch/

The bloke in there is a complete board-game nerd and will be delighted to advise you. They also stock English-language games.

It's like an old-fashioned shop with all sorts of nick-nacks and games, as well as wall-to-wall board-games.

Caleb 28.06.2019 11:57

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
I recommend also a card deck building game (like Star Realms), Splendor, and Exploding Kittens. They're all pretty short games, between 5 and 15min. each.

papasmurf 28.06.2019 12:08

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Risk, got us through a couple of wet evenings in a costal cottage last week.

meloncollie 28.06.2019 12:54

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
If - and it's a big 'if' - you can manage to get your hands on a set (it sold out completely after glowing reviews in the NYT), Wingspan is an amazing game:
https://stonemaiergames.com/games/wingspan/

My new go-to game whenever I am back in the States. (The family won't let me abscond back to Switzerland with our one precious copy. )

Great for fans of board games and budding ornithologists alike.

papasmurf 28.06.2019 13:11

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
I would also add classic games like ludo, Cluedo, Scrabble, monopoly etc are good because usually at least half the people know or remember the rules and it brings up great conversations about how dad used to cheat etc. which adds more entertainment.. and nothing worse than a group sitting around a table while one person tries to explain the rules.

Caleb 28.06.2019 13:12

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3079435)
If - and it's a big 'if' - you can manage to get your hands on a set (it sold out completely after glowing reviews in the NYT), Wingspan is an amazing game

Just watched the first 10min of the 18min tutorial. Sure looks complex, but a lot of fun.

Tar_Vol 28.06.2019 13:49

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
If you‘re also looking for something to do once the younger folks have gone to bed and aren’t easily offended, I would recommend Cards Against Humanity.

3Wishes 28.06.2019 14:33

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Isn't Chuff a bit of a board game guru?

EdwinNL 28.06.2019 14:38

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
What dates would you need them?

And you stated English, but I assume Dutch would be fine also? (tho a lot of games are language independent and rules can be downloaded in plenty of languages.)

Ouchboy 28.06.2019 14:40

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
eaiest thing:


go to kaboom comics and ask the guys, they are friendly and have thursday night board game so you might even give one or 2 a try.


for that amount of players, you'll have to go
-resistance
-captain sonar
-zombiecide
-codenames


CAH is good depending on how good the group itself is. some are great fun some are meh.


I normally avoid risk or diplomacy cause i make people cry.

EdwinNL 28.06.2019 14:45

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouchboy (Post 3079481)
eaiest thing:


go to kaboom comics and ask the guys, they are friendly and have thursday night board game so you might even give one or 2 a try.


for that amount of players, you'll have to go
-resistance
-captain sonar
-zombiecide
-codenames


CAH is good depending on how good the group itself is. some are great fun some are meh.


I normally avoid risk or diplomacy cause i make people cry.

Zombiecide is fun indeed, but also people would have to be in it. It has a learning curve and a big booklet of rules. Not something I would throw on the table on a family evening where most people never exceeded monopoly. And at least one player should know the game fully if some players have no clue at all. I bless myself with a friend who is a game designer (analog ones ;) ) and only needs a minute to get a strong idea about the whole tactics.

Ouchboy 28.06.2019 14:46

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079485)
Zombiecide is fun indeed, but also people would have to be in it. It has a learning curve and a big booklet of rules. Not something I would throw on the table on a family evening where most people never exceeded monopoly. And at least one player should know the game fully if some players have no clue at all. I bless myself with a friend who is a game designer (analog ones ;) ) and only needs a minute to get a strong idea about the whole tactics.

i feel not knowing the rule enhances the chaos... muahahahah

DUTCH 29.06.2019 15:46

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079478)
What dates would you need them?

And you stated English, but I assume Dutch would be fine also? (tho a lot of games are language independent and rules can be downloaded in plenty of languages.)

Thanks a lot for the offer Edwin. But despite my username, which transpired from a word combination, I am British.

araqyl 30.06.2019 00:50

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Some good games (which also take a small amount of space for packing!):

Qwixx (a dice game - working probabilities)

Dragonwood (a card & dice game - fun)

Dead Man's Draw (a card game which doesn't take long, and you can win if you jump in halfway through)

Carcassone (pretty much any variety, although I prefer the original)

EdwinNL 30.06.2019 01:22

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Surprised nobody mentioned ticket to ride yet.

Tom1234 30.06.2019 07:04

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079792)
Surprised nobody mentioned ticket to ride yet.

We got it a few months ago (locally it's available as "Zug um Zug").

It's great for all ages, doesn't take too long (like Risk) and we've played it more than any other board game.

It looks complicated from the instructions but is really easy to understand.

A 10/10 from me.

Another favourite, but not a board game (though you need a table) is Rumikub.
We always take it with us when going away and play it quite often in the evening when at home.
Get the normal version - the travel-size version is a bit fiddly.

Another 10/10.

MusicChick 30.06.2019 07:40

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Looks like we need a board game event, so many experts here. Throw one together and we are there. Complete noobs in board games really, I stick to boring chess (and I did D&D in uni) but my kid plays Go, Pentago and Carcassone..

Belgianmum 30.06.2019 08:54

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3079798)

Another favourite, but not a board game (though you need a table) is Rumikub.
We always take it with us when going away and play it quite often in the evening when at home.
Get the normal version - the travel-size version is a bit fiddly.

Another 10/10.

I agree with this. Rumikub and Uno are both staples that we always take with us and have been doing for years and years.
There’s minimal set up required and they’re great fun.

In a similar vein Yahtzee, triominos and Quirkle are great too.

meloncollie 30.06.2019 12:26

Re: Board games: What and where?
 
Another favorite from my childhood: Backgammon.

I'll second MC's suggestion of chess and Go - I have fond memories of my father patiently trying to teach me and my siblings the classics on rainy days at the lake. One summer he even tried to make bridge players out of us.


By the way, there is a Ludothek in Freienbach:
https://ludothek-hoefe.ch/#contact

Never been there, no idea what their selection is like. This is just info found on the way to something else. But perhaps worth a look if you are inclined to rent games rather than buy.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0